• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead, now we have an inconsistency with the lore where it not only did appear in another region, it appeared before XY and Sycamore's implied to have known about it since then.

This is going to sound strange, but I'm wondering if this has connections with the Couriway Town letter that alludes to a Sycamore from the future?

Honestly, this is one of the cases where GF backed themselves into a wall. They could've easily just not restricted Mega Evolution to any region and avoid having the characters say so as it was going to appear in other regions regardless. Instead, now we have an inconsistency with the lore where it not only did appear in another region, it appeared before XY and Sycamore's implied to have known about it since then.

I think its safe to say that GF knew from the very beginning what they had in mind with Mega Evolution. Even with them backing themselves against the wall, at least at this point. Don't forget that Mega Evolution is still relatively fresh and unknown, there is still loads of time to expand on ideas and such. The next couple of games will provide us more and more information about Mega Evolution.

The way they marketed Kalos as being the first region with Mega Evolution, was just because they wanted to lay more focus on a new game aspect. I think they will come up with a story eventually to explain everything and make everything sound logical.

Another merchanise sheet that says about a "New Pokémon". Big Plush out in December apparently!

CL4yzqkWoAAscTV.jpg

Another merchanise sheet that says about a "New Pokémon". Big Plush out in December apparently!

CL4yzqkWoAAscTV.jpg

Wow they sure are teasing us with so much New Pokémon merchandise that is hidden. I remember that they've been doing this as far back as Generation 4 but I don't remember it being to this extent (in terms of the amount of merchandise that is being hidden). I know they've hidden stuff before but they never alluded to what was behind the black circles as opposed to here (and the sheet with the sleeping Kanto starters and Pikachu) where they are clearly saying its a "New Pokémon". I wonder if the green background of the sheet is anything to go by? I mean it could be a plush of the speculated Zygarde form/Mega we've seen in CoroCoro and at the end of the Hoopa movie in the teaser or even squishy blob.

CL4yzqkWoAAscTV.jpg

Interesting to note that they're referencing its size well before December. 28 centimeters comes out at around 11 inches, so it's almost a foot tall. Them thar's a big plushie... Zygarde Form maybe? If so, surely the Zygarde Form will be revealed to us much sooner than December... right?

They can easily change that one line in Sycamore's dialogue. The "there's only examples of Mega Evolution in Kalos" line is the ONLY thing that contradicts anything else in the Gen. 6 canon so far (have they said it in the anime or Adventures as well? Because all of the ORAS promotion in both those mediums disproves that as well). Everything else is either his own theories or fans' interpretations.

Also, if he studied Mega Evolution under Gurkinn, why does he know so little about it? He should know at least legends of its origin, legends which should exist as this phenomena is 3000 years old, yet strangely we never hear of. The one instance we do hear about is that the first Pokémon to go Mega was a Lucario. Then we hear the Mega Rayquaza lore.
you could argue that the mega stones in Kalos are not the same ones as the one in Hoenn. after all, Kalos's stones were created by the Ultimate Weapon whereas the Hoenn stones appear to have been created by the great release of energy from Kyogre/Groudon.

it makes sense he wouldn't know so much history of it. firstly, it's mentioned that Sycamore was a bit of a revolving door in his training (in that he didn't last very long), so it makes sense he would've have gotten all the information. secondly, Gurkinn does point out that the lack of Mega Rings does inhibit the progress of his research. which leads to three, that right now there isn't much history. all we really know is the Rayquaza was the first Pokemon to evolve to Mega Evolve, a secret that was likely kept tightly close by the Draconids, and that Lucario was the first Pokemon to have a human-triggered Mega Evolution.

it also makes sense that Cozmo’s information wouldn’t help Sycamore all that much given that Kalos isn’t nearly as cosmologically active (ie., less meteors? i don’t know what the word is called) as Hoenn. for all we know though, Sycamore could have ended up in Hoenn for a short period.

They said that Fairy-type was a recent discovery. Pluto was first stated to not be a planet in 2006, almost ten years ago, but it's still a recent discovery (especially since Pluto's status literally gets revoked or redeemed every other year). Same situation here. The entire timeline is about a decade long, it wouldn't be all that surprising to have Fairy-types be found in Kanto and Hoenn in 1996 (based on RG's release year), and still have them be considered a recent discovery in 2006 in Kalos (based on the 10 year theory).

The obvious reasons for these two discrepancies are that 1) if Mega Evolution had been widely unpopular, they most likely would've been removed from OR/AS during development, explaining the "Kalos-only" statement. (They were covering their bases lol) and 2) Fairy-type is brand new so of course they'd refer to it as such in-game, since Pokémon is always pretty Meta.
i mean, when Steel was introduced in Gen II it was mentioned as a new type and new discovery (Dark as well, but on a lower level). however once we get to RSE (which is at the same time as FRLG), there's no fanfare and it's not brought up at all. so i think Fairy is just a case of GameFreak being like "hey! if you've been living under a rock, there's a new type. also it wasn't in the other games because it's '''''''newly dis''cover''''eee''''ddd" and then ditching that once Fairy is established within the series. Mega Evolution follows suit with a little more humdrum since you can actually make some plot out of it.

(on a side note: i was laughing as i was writing because i was envisioning GSC having a plot point revolving around the new night/day system with NPCs being bewildered by the changes.)

The size leads us to believe that it's probably a big Pokemon... like the Zygarde form or Volcanion. But it might not be; something small but very marketable they could always create a bigger plush for - things like Eevee and Pikachu. (But I think it's likely the Zygarde form, personally. But that's just my opinion, obviously nothing to go on.)

Guess all we can do is start queuing to board this hype train that will be soon be entering the station :p

(Although I would much rather they take their time with the next game and have it reach a very good standard in terms of features and whatever, I can't deny that I love me some pre-release hype periods!)

CL4yzqkWoAAscTV.jpg

So...this is the leak?

No it's not. That's completely different news.

Anyway, I highly doubt it'll be nothing. They've already hinted towards new Pokemon/forms and they're building towards an announcement, it wouldn't make sense for them to not acknowledge any of that. There's too much they need to cover between now and September for them to just stay silent.

have they said it in the anime or Adventures as well?

Oddly, yes, in a flashback to Alain's time as Sycamore's assistant in the first Mega Evolution Special:

Alain: And other regions; does Mega Evolution happen there?
Sycamore: At the moment, we only have reports of it happening in the Kalos region.

Well, the anime and manga both happen in the same universe as the rest of their medium, so it is very possible that Mega Evolution is only restricted to that region up until very recently. After all, the only person to use Mega Evolution outside of Kalos in the anime is Steven, who is a rock expert.

No idea what the excuse could be for Adventures which follows the game more closely. I don't believe they've said it there, though.

Huh... It could be Lysandre. Lysandre knew about it, and during this time, Sycamore was most likely training under Prof. Rowan in Kanto (where Rowan was before DPPt), so why would he be in Kalos?

Actually, it's stated that Sycamore learned from Rowan in Sinnoh when he was young (which would put it somewhere around DPPt's time), and it's never stated exactly when it was. Either way, we know that Sycamore also trained at the Tower of Mastery for a time when he was younger, so he definitely studied in Kalos since he was young and probably did advance his research of Mega Evolution during that time. So more then likely, it was him that Cozmo was referring to, not Lysandre.

Honestly, this is one of the cases where GF backed themselves into a wall. They could've easily just not restricted Mega Evolution to any region and avoid having the characters say so as it was going to appear in other regions regardless. Instead, now we have an inconsistency with the lore where it not only did appear in another region, it appeared before XY and Sycamore's implied to have known about it since then.

Not really. Just because we believe he meant Sycamore doesn't make it so. Maybe Cozmo (who is clearly middle aged) did not mean the fledgeling young professor, but rather Gurkinn, the master of Mega Evolution?

And Sycamore looks to be late 20's to early 30's. Even if the timeline is a decade as we all believe, if he studied under Rowan and Gurkinn while a young man, both of these events would predate that, because "young man" brings to mind a young teenager.

Instead, now we have an inconsistency with the lore where it not only did appear in another region, it appeared before XY and Sycamore's implied to have known about it since then.

This is going to sound strange, but I'm wondering if this has connections with the Couriway Town letter that alludes to a Sycamore from the future?

Sweetie, young Sycamore wrote that (probably at the beginning of his training with Rowan or Gurkinn) to his future self, and that would be his present day self. He most likely finds it when he stops there to congratulate you after Geosenge Town and finds it and tells you that's his treasure and to find it. Or he writes it then and there for you to read it and both of you will come back someday to find it again. ;)

you could argue that the mega stones in Kalos are not the same ones as the one in Hoenn. after all, Kalos's stones were created by the Ultimate Weapon whereas the Hoenn stones appear to have been created by the great release of energy from Kyogre/Groudon.

it makes sense he wouldn't know so much history of it. firstly, it's mentioned that Sycamore was a bit of a revolving door in his training (in that he didn't last very long), so it makes sense he would've have gotten all the information. secondly, Gurkinn does point out that the lack of Mega Rings does inhibit the progress of his research. which leads to three, that right now there isn't much history. all we really know is the Rayquaza was the first Pokemon to evolve to Mega Evolve, a secret that was likely kept tightly close by the Draconids, and that Lucario was the first Pokemon to have a human-triggered Mega Evolution.

The Hoenn ones were (seemingly) pieces of rocks scattered all over the world by the force of the Ultimate Weapon, being mistaken for meteors.

Not really. Just because we believe he meant Sycamore doesn't make it so. Maybe Cozmo (who is clearly middle aged) did not mean the fledgeling young professor, but rather Gurkinn, the master of Mega Evolution?

And Sycamore looks to be late 20's to early 30's. Even if the timeline is a decade as we all believe, if he studied under Rowan and Gurkinn while a young man, both of these events would predate that, because "young man" brings to mind a young teenager.

Gurkinn never researches Mega Evolution, especially not actively like Cozmo implies, so no that's not an option either. I really don't see why he would imply anyone else when it's been clear since XY that Mega Evolution has been Sycamore's biggest interest since he was a young lad, no other character that we have met has put that much work into that field, and we know he's trying to use it to "help future Pokémon and trainers" as Cozmo states. It's pretty apparent who he's trying to refer to, just because it contradicts a line doesn't mean that he wasn't the intended character, it wouldn't be the first time that we had an inconsistency like that.

Also, that's working under the assumption he's only in his twenties, we never get his age in the first place to assume that. Even if he's in his twenties, remember that we start our adventure around 11 and Bianca was an assistant no older then twenty, so it's definitely possible that Sycamore was doing research at a pretty young age.

Last edited:
Merchandise featuring new critters coming out fall-early winter, way outside of the movies usual market time, and with no games announced? Yep nothing to see here! Seriously though, this is easily giving us a time frame. I think a worlds announcement with the games out by February is a lock now.

The Hoenn ones were (seemingly) pieces of rocks scattered all over the world by the force of the Ultimate Weapon, being mistaken for meteors.

That's not the impression that I got at all. The meteors were real meteors, and they fall upon Hoenn in 1000-year cycles. That is how the Draconids knew that the biggest one was yet to come. They learned from the past meteor incidents. But the ultimate weapon was only ever fired the one time, so it cannot have been the cause.

Merchandise featuring new critters coming out fall-early winter, way outside of the movies usual market time, and with no games announced? Yep nothing to see here! Seriously though, this is easily giving us a time frame. I think a worlds announcement with the games out by February is a lock now.

I really hope this is the case. People complain about pokemon almost being an annual series at this point, but it feels like it's been so long since there was something to get excited about, an announcement at worlds would be killer.

Just guessing here. Could it be possible that either next to or directly connected to the Kalos region like if South/East Kalos exists then it could potentially have a second professor that Cozmo could be referencing? I mean if there indeed is a generation 6.5 with new Pokémon then we could have a new professor as well. BW12 had two professors even though they are related and one is retired. So Unova technically had two professors. Something to think about.

Just guessing here. Could it be possible that either next to or directly connected to the Kalos region like if South/East Kalos exists then it could potentially have a second professor that Cozmo could be referencing? I mean if there indeed is a generation 6.5 with new Pokémon then we could have a new professor as well. BW12 had two professors even though they are related and one is retired. So Unova technically had two professors. Something to think about.

The thing is the only new region that's been implied is supposed to be far from the Kalos region, so the new professor wouldn't be anywhere close in proximity to Kalos.

I'm not talking about the strange souvenir region. I'm talking about the numerous train tracks going out of Kalos. And I also think that if GF does a Southern Kalos it will start at the way bottom of said region and after the league, the player will have access to Kiloude City granting access to Kalos . keep in mind this is all wishful thinking.

So if Kalos isn't the focus(which I doubt) in the next games then it leaves South Kalos, East Kalos, strange souvenir region, or something way different and surprising for the remaining of this generation. I'm hoping Kalos is expanded on like Unova in this generation and the next generation's region will be connected to Kalos like a reverse Kanto-Johto situation. Wow its hard to guess what exactly is next, and that makes me extremely excited for the future.

Gurkinn never researches Mega Evolution, especially not actively like Cozmo implies, so no that's not an option either. I really don't see why he would imply anyone else when it's been clear since XY that Mega Evolution has been Sycamore's biggest interest since he was a young lad, no other character that we have met has put that much work into that field, and we know he's trying to use it to "help future Pokémon and trainers" as Cozmo states. It's pretty apparent who he's trying to refer to, just because it contradicts a line doesn't mean that he wasn't the intended character, it wouldn't be the first time that we had an inconsistency like that.

Also, that's working under the assumption he's only in his twenties, we never get his age in the first place to assume that. Even if he's in his twenties, remember that we start our adventure around 11 and Bianca was an assistant no older then twenty, so it's definitely possible that Sycamore was doing research at a pretty young age.
Gurkinn makes a statement in XY that indicates that he does in fact study Mega Evolution ("[...] I have only one Mega Ring... It's a very precious item. That's why my research isn't getting anywhere[...]"). not to mention Gurkinn is apparently a descendant of the first user of Mega Evolution. so i don't necessarily think that Cosmo telling Gurkinn is completely out of possibility.

Then I'll concede it's most likely Sycamore. Though, a slight clarification. Red, Leaf, Ethan, Kris, Lyra, Brendan, May, Dawn and Lucas are all 11. Hilbert, Hilda, Nate and Rosa are 16. Serena and Calem most likely are as well, possibly even 17-18, since 16 year old Emma thinks of them as an older sibling.

Brendan, May, Dawn and Lucas (depending which gender you pick) are all Birch and Rowan's assistants at 11, while Bianca (being the same age as Hilbert, Hilda and Cheren) is about 16 during Black and White, and 18 when we meet her again during B2/W2, meaning she either became an assistant at 16 or 17.

That's not the impression that I got at all. The meteors were real meteors, and they fall upon Hoenn in 1000-year cycles. That is how the Draconids knew that the biggest one was yet to come. They learned from the past meteor incidents. But the ultimate weapon was only ever fired the one time, so it cannot have been the cause.

There were three waves, though. One 3000 years ago, which would've been around the time of the Great War. This was a meteor shower, and that would've scattered the Mega Stones all over Hoenn.

Then one 2000 years ago, which created Sootopolis. That one wasn't stated to be a wave of Mega Stones (created by the Ultimate Weapon), but rather one massive meteor, and from Zinnia's dialogue? It's a Key Stone. And considering it ONLY evolved Mega Rayquaza, which has an organ inside it that allows eating Meteorites to give it the power of Mega Evolution, safe to assume it's an extremely rare case that will be expanded upon in fanfiction 'cause GameFreak will never go into such a minute detail. (Maybe this meteor is made out of the same material that Rayquaza eats to fuel his Mega Evolution, acting as a Key Stone when in contact with human kind?) This is the incident where Mega Rayquaza saved the world from Groudon and Kyogre, and AZ witnessed it.

Then the prophecy of the Deoxys meteor came 1000 years after that, but there was actually no meteors then (that Zinnia spoke of, at least).

Then lastly came the Deoxys meteor, which had absolutely nothing to do with Mega Evolution, since it actually hit the RSE Hoenn (and didn't destroy it... Hmm, how suspicious...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom