• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I admit that I felt a twinge of disappointment upon seeing the announcement being Pokken for Wii U, but now I can honestly say I don't mind at all. Next month's CoroCoro details regarding the blob and silhouetted behemoth give us a guarantee that new main series content is on the way at some point, so I am fairly relaxed about the situation. Being a Wii U owner myself I am really looking forward to Pokken landing on the platform and allowing for more Pokemon goodness in HD.

I don't think that Game Freak have been too stingy with its main series releases of late given that new games have been coming out almost annually since 2012, nor do I think that The Pokemon Company has been overbearing with its side game releases. Perhaps the relatively light post-game content in Gen VI so far is just leaving fans hungrier for the next instalments than usual.

If anything, with a longer time window between ORAS and the next games than XY -> ORAS, I expect Game Freak to smooth out the package instead of having glaring omissions as was the case with the lack of Battle Frontier in ORAS.

Sit tight folks. Good things surely come to those who wait.

I agree with you mostly, but I´m sure that both XY and OR/AS lacked the content GF wanted them to lack. It´s not like they didn´t have time to put some content in...

XY, as a first pair of a Generation, was meant to be shorter than the next game contentwise. It was meant to show-off all those new features (graphics, Megas, Customisation) and not much more. And it did it´s function well.

ORAS, as a long time awaited revisit, was meant to be wow- ing, and it is: more new features (Soaring, Sneaking, Super Secret Bases, Conest Spectaculars... AND a Delta Episode! Plus more new Megas... and Primals. Battle Frontier wasn´t really holded back, imo, it is just hard to make in 3D and I think GF didn´t even think of it. They made the Battle Resort though, which, although not the same, is still pretty neat... However, Gym Battles were holded back purpously for the next game, which is a nasty thing to do (even XY have Gym rematches), and customisation was made a Kalos-exclusive thing, to hype it up for the final games.

So in the next games we are probably gonna see customisation return once again, a new Battle Facility (not the Frontier though, maybe the PWT or a brand new facility, don´t know) and gym rematches. And More new Megas. However, I think Soaring willbe made ORAS exclusive. Samewith the PokenavPlus.

I don´tknow why GF are so selective about features though...

With this all this extra time in development, I'd hope they give it a good share of focus so all of it really can be enjoyed.

This, oh so much. If we're looking at a summer-fall release, there shouldn't be any excuses for mediocre games, especially if they've been worked on since the release(or even a little before?) of X/Y.

If the next game(s) turns out to be some sort of cheap shot, I SWEAR TO GOD WHEN I EVOLVE I WILL bitch-slap Masuda. And after I get thrown in jail for that, he'll look me straight in the eyes through my jail cell and utter the words... "Please understand..."

Brainwave. What if there is still an announcement in store for us at the closing ceremony? Not one to do with a new main game, but rather concerning ORAS.

If Game Freak intend to follow through with the tease of a Battle Frontier being in development at the Battle Resort, what better time to unveil it than at a real-life tournament? Masuda could be like "Thanks to all of you for participating in Worlds 2015 and congrats to player X for winning this year's championship. If you're all still itching for competitive battles but with a nostalgic twist, check this out! <Insert Battle Frontier trailer HYPE> "This update will be available for download on the Nintendo 3DS eShop. Date TBA."

I can't imagine this happening for one second, but it doesn't hurt to dream.

I agree with you mostly, but I´m sure that both XY and OR/AS lacked the content GF wanted them to lack. It´s not like they didn´t have time to put some content in...

XY, as a first pair of a Generation, was meant to be shorter than the next game contentwise. It was meant to show-off all those new features (graphics, Megas, Customisation) and not much more. And it did it´s function well.

ORAS, as a long time awaited revisit, was meant to be wow- ing, and it is: more new features (Soaring, Sneaking, Super Secret Bases, Conest Spectaculars... AND a Delta Episode! Plus more new Megas... and Primals. Battle Frontier wasn´t really holded back, imo, it is just hard to make in 3D and I think GF didn´t even think of it. They made the Battle Resort though, which, although not the same, is still pretty neat... However, Gym Battles were holded back purpously for the next game, which is a nasty thing to do (even XY have Gym rematches), and customisation was made a Kalos-exclusive thing, to hype it up for the final games.

So in the next games we are probably gonna see customisation return once again, a new Battle Facility (not the Frontier though, maybe the PWT or a brand new facility, don´t know) and gym rematches. And More new Megas. However, I think Soaring willbe made ORAS exclusive. Samewith the PokenavPlus.

Fair point on XY, and I do appreciate the amount of work that probably went into the graphical upgrade and the features like Amie. Those things make me willing to cut them a bit of slack with the weak storyline and characterization. I can understand why those would take a backseat, even if I don't like it.

However, I can't commit to the idea that the Battle Frontier just "didn't occur to them" considering that they directly reference it several times at the Battle Resort. Hard to make in 3D? Sure. But at that point, I think that it genuinely was a combination of them being lazy and them being rushed. (Nintendo took a big loss in profits due to the 3DS around that time, didn't they? And of course the long-awaited, highly-demanded R/S remakes would be a smart reaction to that.)

As to why they keep certain features exclusive to certain games, well, that's as simple as, "it forces you to buy the new games."

Brainwave. What if there is still an announcement in store for us at the closing ceremony? Not one to do with a new main game, but rather concerning ORAS.

If Game Freak intend to follow through with the tease of a Battle Frontier being in development at the Battle Resort, what better time to unveil it than at a real-life tournament? Masuda could be like "Thanks to all of you for participating in Worlds 2015 and congrats to player X for winning this year's championship. If you're all still itching for competitive battles but with a nostalgic twist, check this out! <Insert Battle Frontier trailer HYPE> "This update will be available for download on the Nintendo 3DS eShop. Date TBA."

I can't imagine this happening for one second, but it doesn't hurt to dream.

As a patch for ORAS? Impossible. A while back someone posted the technicalities of it. However, as its own standalone app like Dream Radar? Absolutely. Make it compatible with XY as well and price it accordingly and you have money fo days.

That said, I have a sneaking suspicion a Battle Frontier esque facility will be in the next Kalos games. I'm sure they'd already started the groundwork for he Battle Frontier in ORAS but had to can it. They could probably complete it and include it in ZXZY.

Ah so the announcement was Pokken on Wii U? Well at least we didn't get nothing and look completely stupid :p

However it does seem a possibility that we won't be getting anything until later next year now, thanks to both Mystery Dungeon and Pokken. Which I am ok with, because I didn't want a new game for a while so that they could have the most time possible to work on it. They are going to explain the blob and Zygarde form in Corocoro next month, but I'm wondering if that's just going to be an anime thing for now given they just dodged a perfect opportunity to announce a game if they were linked to one.

Dunno, it's a bit weird. I'll just roll with whatever and see what happens. I'll have enough with Fallout 4 later this year and then Dishonored 2 next year to keep me happy gaming-wise anyway.

It's been suggested time and again about the next game making connections between X/Y and ORAS lore-wise, and I just came up with something that would tie the knot for that. What if the post-game for Z takes place at the newly-built ORAS!Battle Frontier in Hoenn? That would be awesome.

LMAO

Some people are way too butthurt over this. I'm interested in Pokken, so seeing more footage for this (Pikachu Libre!!) was great. The worldwide announcement for Spring 2016 was unexpected, though.

While I wish it had been the next main series game shown, I'm not dissapointed. Maybe they'll talk more about it when Masuda arrives, idk.

It's been suggested time and again about the next game making connections between X/Y and ORAS lore-wise, and I just came up with something that would tie the knot for that. What if the post-game for Z takes place at the newly-built ORAS!Battle Frontier in Hoenn? That would be awesome.

We had the same idea. I was goint to write it right now
I cant see Battle frontier in Kalos, but it would make a lot of sense if in the post game we visit Hoenn and conect somewhow the storylines. Would be great to battle May/Brendam in the Battle Frontier as the brains, or the Hoenn champions.

I sort of expect/want something like that. Ideally, I would like for the main storyline to be set at least partially in southern Kalos (at some point weaving back up through the eastern half of northern Kalos, across Terminus Cave and such), and then for the post-game, we get to go through the remainder of northern Kalos, à la the closed-off sections of Unova in the BW games. And then there would probably also be a dock somewhere in southern Kalos (despite having a few coastal cities, there aren't really any good candidates in northern Kalos for the placement of a big dock - all of said coastal cities are rather small), and from there, we could visit the Battle Frontier. (Would the Maison remain in Kiloude City, I wonder? Or would it be replaced with something else...)

I cant see Battle frontier in Kalos, but it would make a lot of sense if in the post game we visit Hoenn and conect somewhow the storylines. Would be great to battle May/Brendam in the Battle Frontier as the brains, or the Hoenn champions.

While a post game Hoenn would be cool, both regions in one game in such a way would feel a bit drawn out. I mean, we just went through thw regions, and Kalos will likely be on B2W2 Unova level of different. Hoenn, on the other hand, could undergo changes too sure, but I soncerely doubtthey would do such a big timeskip. A third version alone would be a good 7 years after ORAS, sequels could well be 10 years after. And don't ask me then why the chatelaines exist, its obvious that was a copout with disregard to the canon.

Ah so the announcement was Pokken on Wii U? Well at least we didn't get nothing and look completely stupid :p

However it does seem a possibility that we won't be getting anything until later next year now, thanks to both Mystery Dungeon and Pokken. Which I am ok with, because I didn't want a new game for a while so that they could have the most time possible to work on it. They are going to explain the blob and Zygarde form in Corocoro next month, but I'm wondering if that's just going to be an anime thing for now given they just dodged a perfect opportunity to announce a game if they were linked to one.

Dunno, it's a bit weird. I'll just roll with whatever and see what happens. I'll have enough with Fallout 4 later this year and then Dishonored 2 next year to keep me happy gaming-wise anyway.

I said it earlier, Anime only for a supposed box legend can go for so long. I doubt they would have it out in the open for more then 8 months.

I sort of expect/want something like that. Ideally, I would like for the main storyline to be set at least partially in southern Kalos (at some point weaving back up through the eastern half of northern Kalos, across Terminus Cave and such), and then for the post-game, we get to go through the remainder of northern Kalos, à la the closed-off sections of Unova in the BW games. And then there would probably also be a dock somewhere in southern Kalos (despite having a few coastal cities, there aren't really any good candidates in northern Kalos for the placement of a big dock - all of said coastal cities are rather small), and from there, we could visit the Battle Frontier. (Would the Maison remain in Kiloude City, I wonder? Or would it be replaced with something else...)

I think Southern Kalos is probably just going to be a 4th section of Kalos and the main game will take place in Southern Kalos and several of the areas in the north. Doubling up on regions seems like too much for a third game, plus it'll have a negative effect on pacing and content.

While a post game Hoenn would be cool, both regions in one game in such a way would feel a bit drawn out. I mean, we just went through thw regions, and Kalos will likely be on B2W2 Unova level of different. Hoenn, on the other hand, could undergo changes too sure, but I soncerely doubtthey would do such a big timeskip. A third version alone would be a good 7 years after ORAS, sequels could well be 10 years after. And don't ask me then why the chatelaines exist, its obvious that was a copout with disregard to the canon.

I said it earlier, Anime only for a supposed box legend can go for so long. I doubt they would have it out in the open for more then 8 months.

If I had to guess, I'd say we'll get something definitive by the end of the year. If GF plans to release another Gen VI game, I imagine it would be before the next movie.

Fair point on XY, and I do appreciate the amount of work that probably went into the graphical upgrade and the features like Amie. Those things make me willing to cut them a bit of slack with the weak storyline and characterization. I can understand why those would take a backseat, even if I don't like it.

However, I can't commit to the idea that the Battle Frontier just "didn't occur to them" considering that they directly reference it several times at the Battle Resort. Hard to make in 3D? Sure. But at that point, I think that it genuinely was a combination of them being lazy and them being rushed. (Nintendo took a big loss in profits due to the 3DS around that time, didn't they? And of course the long-awaited, highly-demanded R/S remakes would be a smart reaction to that.)

As to why they keep certain features exclusive to certain games, well, that's as simple as, "it forces you to buy the new games."

I think GF had all the time they needed for OR/AS and I also think the games became the way GF wanted them to. But OR/AS have such anincredible level of detail in many features, that I really doubt they didn´t have time for the more major features that are missing. That´s why I think said features were held back intentionally, mainly Gym rematches. I mean even XY have Gym rematches, so why ORAS don´t? It is a feature clearly held back intentionally. I can even imagine Masuda saying: "Heeey boys!Calmdown a little, we´ve put Soaring in, Pokenav Plus, Battle Maison, Secret Bases... leave something out! The game will be too complete otherwise! How are we gonna promote
our next game if this onehas everything in it!"

As for the Frontier, I think they perfectly thought of it, but just didn´t consider it viable, and used the excuse that it´s not Emerald what they are remaking, so the Frontier shouldn´t necessarily be in. But I think they definitely didn´t plan it for ORAS.

Also, I think it won´t be in the next games either. I think it´s the PWT what we are getting... or a brand new Battle Facility

I'd be very surprised if we don't have an announcement by next CoroCoro, they usually don't tease new forms like that for longer than 2 months. Plus they've got merchandise and the Mega Evolution Special coming in the fall, so they can't wait too long.

Grrr. I was pretty stoked for pokken tournament. . . . when they initially revealed it like a year ago. Kind of bittersweet about the announcement. I mean like . . while at this point I doubt we'll hear anything about the next main games, I refuse to believe they had Satoshi Sajiri, Masuda, AND Ohmori all attend Worlds, just for Pokken to get announced. Especially when Mr. Tajiri rarely ever makes public appearances. There's still that slim chance they could reveal it during the closing ceremony, but eh. At this point they have Winter-Spring covered with SPMD, and Pokkem, meaning the earliest we can see a release would be Summer, but then at that point I'd just expect a fall release. (They only released summer games in japan back before worldwide releases were a thing).

At this point I can't even tell if we're guaranteed to hear something by the next corocoro. They could easily just announce the Zygarde form/green blob thing and leave us hanging till winter.

I just hope things are taking so long for a good reason q.q

Grrr. I was pretty stoked for pokken tournament. . . . when they initially revealed it like a year ago. Kind of bittersweet about the announcement. I mean like . . while at this point I doubt we'll hear anything about the next main games, I refuse to believe they had Satoshi Sajiri, Masuda, AND Ohmori all attend Worlds, just for Pokken to get announced.
Tajiri isn't attending the event, and there is nothing suspicious about Masuda and the ORAS director attending an event which is all about ORAS battles (and the TCG). Masuda has always had a staff member accompany him for these events.

Grrr. I was pretty stoked for pokken tournament. . . . when they initially revealed it like a year ago. Kind of bittersweet about the announcement. I mean like . . while at this point I doubt we'll hear anything about the next main games, I refuse to believe they had Satoshi Sajiri, Masuda, AND Ohmori all attend Worlds, just for Pokken to get announced.
Tajiri isn't attending the event, and there is nothing suspicious about Masuda and the ORAS director attending an event which is all about ORAS battles (and the TCG). Masuda has always had a staff member accompany him for these events.

yeahh that's trues I guess. Although I did assume Tajiri was going to be there since he was at the opening ceremony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom