• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't even need any major changes to it, just running FRLG through the ORAS Engine and release it for $20 digitally. No need for any big lead up to it, just a quick announcement of "Hey remember where it all start? Go back there now! Blazing Red and Soaking Blue on the eShop today for $20."
i wouldn't pay money for that and honestly that would be the pinnacle of a half-assed game.

The problem is that I can almost guarantee that if Kanto was remade, there's no way that the guys in charge would change anything significant, or else it'll piss off the genwu- uh, more narrow-minded Kanto fans. The screams of "MY CHILDHOOD IS RUINED" would be heard for miles.
then don't spin it as a remake of RGBY so much as a remake/"return" to Kanto.

Doesn't the "DPPt remakes shouldn't be on the 3DS because DS games are playable" argument fail because the Gen 1 games are playable on the GBA? :x

But yeah, I can't see anything major happening in another Kanto remake.

We absolutely don't need a Gen IV remake. Platinum is the pinnacle of that trilogy and it still completely playable on the current technology.

Well first of all, it probably won't be playable on the next handheld, which is when I expect to see a DP remake. Second, like I said there's several things they can improve on with a remake that they couldn't have done in 4th gen. There's been more of an emphasis on story since 5th gen, so I think they could add onto the storyline a bit. Of course they'll probably add in Mega Evolutions. 6th gen's online would also greatly help the experience, if they can allow you to connect with people in Sinnoh Underground through the PSS that would be a major improvement. 7th gen may also bring some improvements to the series as well.

For all of the games that Kanto's been in, not one of them has really done anything constructive with it though. FRLG didn't even touch the main game and GSCHGSS downsized it. They haven't really added new areas or changed older ones significantly, they haven't added new Pokemon to the Kanto Dex, they haven't expanded on the story or given it any unique side features. It's just so out of date, not just in terms of how long it's been since the last game but in terms of the design philosophies behind it, that it desperately needs another update. Sinnoh is definitely getting up there in years and they could definitely make improvements in some areas (storyline, online capabilities, Mega Evolutions), but it's nowhere near as outdated as Kanto is (in fact even looking at it today I'd call Platinum a near perfect game), so I would want to remake Kanto first.
The problem is that I can almost guarantee that if Kanto was remade, there's no way that the guys in charge would change anything significant, or else it'll piss off the genwu- uh, more narrow-minded Kanto fans. The screams of "MY CHILDHOOD IS RUINED" would be heard for miles. If- and this is a huge if- they could revamp the Pokemon distribution, the region's overall look and feel, and maybe expand on some lore, perhaps I could bear the thought of going to Kanto again. But I have next to no faith that this would ever happen, considering that Kanto stays the same even when parts of it are relocated in other freaking regions... Santalune Forest...

Most of the improvements I listed are things that the genwunners wouldn't complain about, they'd have no problem with improvements to the storyline or side features, and as long as the region design isn't too unrecognizable I don't think they'd care about that either. The major problem is going to be the Kanto Dex since a lot of genwunners disdain anything after 1st gen. Still though, they could get away with some additions to the Kanto Dex without generating too many complaints, adding in some cross gen evolutions and a few Johto Pokemon (the game definitely needs something like Houndour/Murkrow for Sabrina) shouldn't hurt.

The biggest shock next year would be Gen7. With so many hints towards Z, I would expect something different though. They won't be too obvious.

Another possibility is a sequel in another region, like Gold and Silver

GS definitely needs the BW2 treatment, but Kanto needs it first. I don't expect another Johto game until at least 8th gen.

No, no. She meant having sequel games that take place in a new region LIKE Gold and Silver did for Generation 1. As in having a new region adjacent to Kalos where sequels take place. Not a Johto game.

Oh.

Well then no, I wouldn't want to see that. Leaving Kalos as shallow and undeveloped as it is now would be a crime against humanity.

Yeah, but I said it was just a possibility lol
agreed, would be a barbaric crime against humanity leave Kalos incomplete and sandwiched between two generations
but also, if there is no special remake on the birthday i would rather a sinnoh remake before kanto/johto, or even a sequel, with future gens revisiting Kanto or Johto in the post game, cause it's kind of strange remake of a remake of a remake of a remake...

Doesn't the "DPPt remakes shouldn't be on the 3DS because DS games are playable" argument fail because the Gen 1 games are playable on the GBA? :x
true, but you cannot migrate Pokemon from Gens one and two to the GBA games. either way it's a hardware incompatibility argument. of course, that doesn't really make it more right since there's really no "standard" that GameFreak has applied for the remakes: FRLG were made because of a lack of compatibility but HGSS and ORAS were both demanded by fans (though hardware incompatibility may have played a role, likely a smaller role).

just based off of the current patterns, it's likely that Sinnoh will be the next region remade due to its burgeoning fan popularity.

Most of the improvements I listed are things that the genwunners wouldn't complain about, they'd have no problem with improvements to the storyline or side features, and as long as the region design isn't too unrecognizable I don't think they'd care about that either. The major problem is going to be the Kanto Dex since a lot of genwunners disdain anything after 1st gen. Still though, they could get away with some additions to the Kanto Dex without generating too many complaints, adding in some cross gen evolutions and a few Johto Pokemon (the game definitely needs something like Houndour/Murkrow for Sabrina) shouldn't hurt.

The thing is some of those improvements are things that GF doesn't address in their remakes for whatever reason. The Dex for instance wasn't even touched for FRLG and barely so for HGSS and ORAS, which gives me the impression that if they tried again, we would at best get the Kanto evolutions, at worst they lock out all non-Kanto Pokemon. The storyline is one change I feel could happen as ORAS expanded on it and HGSS touched it up a bit, but even so, how much they choose to expand on it depends on how closely they want to keep to the original for nostalgia, and GF can be overpandering when it comes to that.

Last edited:
Imo, remakes are very special Pokemon games. A remake is made when there is a reason. FRLG was made too early imo, but there was a reason, the need to complete the Pokedex.

HGSS was made for nostalgia, and so was ORAS. The question is, what generation needs a remake more? I think it's obviously gen 1. Platinum is still a great game so Shinnoh is just fine... Kanto is the ONLY generation and region that hasn't had the battle improvements introduced in DP.

I wanna know what kind of stick y'all are using to beat that Kanto Remake Ponyta, because that sum-bitch just morphed into a zombie two weeks ahead of schedule.

But seriously... even if it is the 20th Anniversary next year, I don't think another remake of Kanto for this upcoming game or the "empty slot" in the data is very likely. I could be wrong, but it's been proven before that those unused slots for games will go unused. However, I do see something happening akin to what Mitchman suggested earlier about Gary Motherfreaking Oak Green making an appearance. IIRC, wasn't he referenced by somebody in Lumiose City in X/Y?

But I would really REALLY like Kalos to shine as its own region. Stop wasting potential to pander to the nostalgia and make this game surpass X/Y in quality, in its own unique way. Kalos needs it and deserves it right now, Kanto can wait until Gen 7.

Well first of all, it probably won't be playable on the next handheld, which is when I expect to see a DP remake. Second, like I said there's several things they can improve on with a remake that they couldn't have done in 4th gen. There's been more of an emphasis on story since 5th gen, so I think they could add onto the storyline a bit. Of course they'll probably add in Mega Evolutions. 6th gen's online would also greatly help the experience, if they can allow you to connect with people in Sinnoh Underground through the PSS that would be a major improvement. 7th gen may also bring some improvements to the series as well.

For all of the games that Kanto's been in, not one of them has really done anything constructive with it though. FRLG didn't even touch the main game and GSCHGSS downsized it. They haven't really added new areas or changed older ones significantly, they haven't added new Pokemon to the Kanto Dex, they haven't expanded on the story or given it any unique side features. It's just so out of date, not just in terms of how long it's been since the last game but in terms of the design philosophies behind it, that it desperately needs another update. Sinnoh is definitely getting up there in years and they could definitely make improvements in some areas (storyline, online capabilities, Mega Evolutions), but it's nowhere near as outdated as Kanto is (in fact even looking at it today I'd call Platinum a near perfect game), so I would want to remake Kanto first.
The problem is that I can almost guarantee that if Kanto was remade, there's no way that the guys in charge would change anything significant, or else it'll piss off the genwu- uh, more narrow-minded Kanto fans. The screams of "MY CHILDHOOD IS RUINED" would be heard for miles. If- and this is a huge if- they could revamp the Pokemon distribution, the region's overall look and feel, and maybe expand on some lore, perhaps I could bear the thought of going to Kanto again. But I have next to no faith that this would ever happen, considering that Kanto stays the same even when parts of it are relocated in other freaking regions... Santalune Forest...

I believe the problem is that Kanto and its respective Mons are so sacred to people that they won't want to see anything touched at all . GF will definitely be putting themselves in a gawky position because the general public won't want to see hardly any one thing changed while their fans will want the exact opposite and if it takes the ORAS route ( Which I deem a modern middle ground) then they risk everybody complaining.. En masse I think this will just make more people upset than happy.

Tbh, I don't think Kanto really needs anything. GameFreak can leave regions behind, and there's not really much I can think of from a novelty standpoint that could allow new Kanto remakes to stand out. Outside of the opening pairs in each generation, all of the main series games introduce some new gimmick (Emerald gave Rayquaza a prominent role and had a fusion of R/S' stories, Platinum introduced Origin Giratina and the Distortion World, B2/W2 were the first sequels and introduced new formes for Kyurem, OR/AS introduced Primal Reversion, etc).

Don't know why Kanto remakes are being discussed anyway. Judging by Zygarde appearing in next movie, mega evolution special, XY&Z series and gaining new forms, it points to another Kalos game. Not sure entirely sure about the name of the Kalos game (apart from the XY&Z title of the anime series which might suggest a Z version) but I am positive that the last game for gen 6 would be Kalos. The gen started with Kalos and should end with Kalos. ORAS was the remakes of this generation. If Kanto remakes were to happen, then stuff such as mega evolutions of Kanto starters, mega Mewtwo, Lapras given out, Snorelax awaken by flute to battle/catch and legendary birds catchable in the games would have been saved for the remakes. Not to mention that Kanto appear in Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Firered, Leafgreen, Heartgold and Soulsilver which gives Kanto a total of 11 games (appearing in 4 generations). Kanto can wait awhile but will return eventually.

We'll see Sinnoh remakes in 2020 (DP - ?D?P, 14 years).
There was 8 years between RG and FRLG, 10 years between GS and HGSS, and 12 years between RS and ORAS.

This places it Generation 8, which will be on the next handheld. Generation 7 will be on the 3DS still. Unless they mix it up, Kanto still has a long time to wait for another game.

There was 8 years between RG and FRLG, 10 years between GS and HGSS, and 12 years between RS and ORAS.

This places it Generation 8, which will be on the next handheld. Generation 7 will be on the 3DS still. Unless they mix it up, Kanto still has a long time to wait for another game.

Well, most gens have had a pair of remakes since gen 3. They will most likely have DP remakes before RG remakes, so I expect them to occur in gen 7

Last edited:

Well, most gens have had a pair of remakes since gen 3. They will most likely have DP remakes before RG remakes, so I expect them to occur in gen 7

Generation 5 didn't have any remakes. I expect Gen7 will be the same.

Anyway, let's focus on Gen6. It still has one or two games left. Hopefully two.

People seem to be really adamant on the idea of RBG remakes... I just question where this stems from EVERY time it comes up. What makes you think they are going to remake a remake of the original games? Yes, everyone loves Kanto and the nostalgia it brings, but we got enough of that in XY, and seriously, if we revisited Kanto and that were the only thing we had to do in the game (badge quest, team rocket); I would seriously start to doubt the company's interests in moving forward with the franchise successfully. If they do Kanto remakes right now, that's basically suicide.

You know, I really don't get you guys, posting around about release dates, future generations (and the games released in them), about future consoles and so forth, all these statements with the full confidence of an official announcement, like your name is Junichi Masuda (for the very least).

Yeah, sure, this is a speculation thread, you should go wild with your assumptions. But that's the thing, these are ASSUMPTIONS. People here post things like they either cracked GameFreak's pattern, or have an "uncle working at Nintendo" that tells them everything.

People, these are pure SPECULATIONS. We don't know a thing about what's to come. You think you know GameFreak's move one step ahead of them? Think again. GameFreak's direction does not follow a straight, clear path. They do whatever the hell they feel like doing. Can you say someone anticipated B2W2? What about Mega Evolutions?

You can speculate all day long. Yeah, it's fun, espcially if you nail something down in the end. But some of you guys talk like you actually know what's going on, when in reality you just try to warp reality around your wishes and fantasies, and on the way you're misleading people who read here and don't know any better.

Remember, we don't KNOW anyting. We can only assume. And GameFreak will probably just go "Haha nope" in the end, and go for something completly else (probably better than our wishes [excpet for exempting the Battle Frontier from ORAS. Man...]).

To stay on-topic, I could really go for a PWT in the next installment, hopefully one which has 6v6 battles too.

I'd like to see a tournament like that in the anime. A conference before a league would be amazing. You could have more than one rival and some friends travelling with you.

You know, I really don't get you guys, posting around about release dates, future generations (and the games released in them), about future consoles and so forth, all these statements with the full confidence of an official announcement, like your name is Junichi Masuda (for the very least).

Yeah, sure, this is a speculation thread, you should go wild with your assumptions. But that's the thing, these are ASSUMPTIONS. People here post things like they either cracked GameFreak's pattern, or have an "uncle working at Nintendo" that tells them everything.

People, these are pure SPECULATIONS. We don't know a thing about what's to come. You think you know GameFreak's move one step ahead of them? Think again. GameFreak's direction does not follow a straight, clear path. They do whatever the hell they feel like doing. Can you say someone anticipated B2W2? What about Mega Evolutions?

You can speculate all day long. Yeah, it's fun, espcially if you nail something down in the end. But some of you guys talk like you actually know what's going on, when in reality you just try to warp reality around your wishes and fantasies, and on the way you're misleading people who read here and don't know any better.

Remember, we don't KNOW anyting. We can only assume. And GameFreak will probably just go "Haha nope" in the end, and go for something completly else (probably better than our wishes [excpet for exempting the Battle Frontier from ORAS. Man...]).

To stay on-topic, I could really go for a PWT in the next installment, hopefully one which has 6v6 battles too.

I am sure that some people expected something else other than Grey. I too was skeptical of Grey. We all know that this is speculation. I am just pointing out something interesting and making an assumption on it.

correlation does not imply causation.

Can you say someone anticipated B2W2?
to be fair, BW2 was Grey/Gray until a last minute change so it's not like we were completely wrong; GameFreak just changed their mind.

Personally, I wonder when we will see an announcement. Its eleven months since the arrival of ORAS. Should they not announce something soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom