• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
@NinjutsuSen I'm starting to question if you understand what content is. You're talking about things like training spots and dex variety which is good, but it's not really content. It's not really extra "stuff" for you to do, it just enhances existing content.
What do you mean about dex variety and training spots? The DexNav is extra content in my opinion, but I'm sure if that is the same thing you're talking about.

What do you mean about dex variety and training spots? The DexNav is extra content in my opinion, but I'm sure if that is the same thing you're talking about.
No, he means the actual Pokedex variety doesn't count as content, and I think he is right.

But the DexNav definitely is content. And a big amount of content, especially for collectors. It has 3 activities:

- Chaining for IVs, egg moves, etc

- Shiny Hunting

- A medal system, like the one from Gen v, about catching all the Pokemon in each route, etc.

Those are three activities in one, so it's a huge amount of content, especially for collectors, who are not all about the battles. I am all about the Battles but not everybody is. xD

Last edited:
So anytime from now until December 10th, we should be seeing a new main Pokémon game revealed out-of-the-blue on the official Pokémon websites. And if that doesn't happen, don't count on it happening in CoroCoro (except for a new Pokémon reveal at the very least).

I am very curious what road will GF take for the next game. I think Z is only logical... But I secretly hope we will get a semi new generation, lile gen II from gen I.

Also, what someone from GF said about "returning to simplicity" what was that about? The designs or the game mechanics?

It's a quote from an interview, it was said by Ken Sugimori, arguably Game Freak's most influental artist and the one responsible for main Pokemon artwork. I don't recall exactly what was said (someone on here could likely provide a link) but he said he was going to/wanting to return to simplicity in regards to the next Pokemon games. Whatever that means, however, is a total mystery. No-one knows what he meant, whether it was within the game design, or just his own Pokemon designs.
When Ken Sugimori stated about "reverting back to simplicity" in the next generation, he was talking about organizing and trimming the moves and abilities of Pokémon. For example, the move Spore being removed and any Pokémon having that move gets Sleep Powder instead. But that unfortunately would have to come with a great sacrifice, which is no backwards compatibility with Generation VI games. But since we have Pokémon Bank, I'm sure everything will be alright and the Pokémon can be converted into the new style when transferred to Generation VII games. Here's the original thread if anyone wants to see it: http://forums.bulbagarden.net/index...s-reverting-simplicity-generation-vii.158276/

I've been expecting HUGE things with Generation VII. But the thing is, great expectations come with huge disappointments in the end. But I'm willing to accept that.

Last edited:
No, he means the actual Pokedex variety doesn't count as content, and I think he is right.

But the DexNav definitely is content. And a big amount of content, especially for collectors. It has 3 activities:

- Chaining for IVs, egg moves, etc

- Shiny Hunting

- A medal system, like the one from Gen v, about catching all the Pokemon in each route, etc.

Those are three activities in one, so it's a huge amount of content, especially for collectors, who are not all about the battles. I am all about the Battles but not everybody is. xD

Technically, the Dexnav chaining doesn't increase the chance of shiny pokemon but I still got some shiny pokemon from chaining that way.

So anytime from now until December 10th, we should be seeing a new main Pokémon game revealed out-of-the-blue on the official Pokémon websites. And if that doesn't happen, don't count on it happening in CoroCoro (except for a new Pokémon reveal at the very least).

I still doubt that we are getting a new pokemon. We didn't get new forms of Zygarde for nothing. It would be pretty insulting if they went straight to gen 7 without a game focusing on Zygarde. Of course Zygarde maybe the mascot of a gen 7 game but that doesn't make sense to me because I prefer gen 7 legendaries as mascots of the first gen 7 games. I believe we still have time for one last gen 6 game before preparing for the next gen.

I've honestly been doing a lot of thinking between now and the next 6 to 9 months (given that is usual time slot between releasing's, please correct if I'm wrong on that thought; thanks!). Between everything that's going on with XY&Z anime plus all the things that are being included, it would make sense in the beginning to think that Z-related Pokémon games would be the next step forwards.

On the other hand; there is still that gap between the releasing, while I understand that the anime acts moreso as a promotion for the games themselves, it still ends up to finish the Team Flare arc plus the final badge and lastly the league. They could end up doing a filler arc instead similar to BW to give Gen 7 another after the releasing of Z-related games but...

I don't know... I can't help but feel we're getting nearer to Gen 7 tbh.

If no game is announced in 2015, Gen VII will pretty much be confirmed imo.

Also, a new Generation forthe 20th anniversary seems kinda logical. I still give more chances to Z though.

Last edited:
Although I can understand people jumping on the 7th Gen wagon it makes me kind of sad.......Kalos had such potential to b an an interesting region and it's a shame that XY spent so much time referencing Kanto instead of focusing fully on Kalos alone with only small hints at Kanto or whatever....If there's no new Gen 6 game I won't b mad, but I will b a little disappointed that they didn't at least try to make Kalos more worth while......With that said new generations are always fun in the lead up to them so either way I'll b happy!! lol

It just depends on how things play out from here on in to the new year; though if Gen 7 does end up being announced I would not be very much surprised. I would like them to focus more thoroughly on Kalos, but who knows? None of us really know what exactly their planning for the new main stream game so anything could still happen.

No. Absolutely no. Kalos will be amazing in the end. The only other acceptable way to handle the Kalos region, if a new generation is indeed next, would be the seventh generation in the Kalos region with new pokemon on the next console. Extremely unlikely. I'm excited for the last installation in the Kalos region on the 3DS!

There is absolutely no way in hell generation 7 is happening next year. That would be a Q2-Q3 release for it. Righy now the rumors and speculation on NX is a late 2016 launch. Pokemon starting a new generation on the 3DS right at the launch of the next is never going to happen. And no, Gen 7 as a launch title would never happen, maube as a year 1 title in 2017, but not at the launch of the NX Handheld.
Basically I do think a reveal between now and February happening with June as the latest release point would make sense, with Pokemon being the last big 1st party release for the 3DS before we land in territory.

1. We don't know when the NX handheld will be released. We only have rumors (regarding the 2016 fiscal year ending in March 2017), which might just pertain to the home console. It isn't particularly likely that both systems will be released simultaneously, and the 3DS has more things planned for it than the Wii U does.

2. Black and White were released alongside the 3DS outside Japan. Generation VII could be released in September ahead of the NX handheld in December.

3. Game Freak is not a first-party Nintendo studio. They are their own company.

3. A Q1-Q2 release is not at all supported by the fact that VGC 2016 will continue to use ORAS. Not only that, but Europe already has as many as four releases (SMD, RBY VC, Pokkén and Go) lined up for Q1-Q2; logic dictates that they aren't going to condense every 2016 release into a 4-month period (February-June).

3. Should the 3DS' successor be released next year, the smartest thing for Game Freak to do would be a cross-generational release, basically making Generation VII NX-enhanced (like Mystery Dungeon Blue compared to Red) rather than NX-exclusive. The enhancement wouldn't be groundbreaking (not that an NX-exclusive Generation VII in 2017 would be much better), but at least it would give some people an incentive to upgrade sooner rather than later. With the NX being essentially confirmed to utilize Nintendo Network, communication between 3DS games and NX ports shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
Firstly, speculation about the NX is just speculation.

Second, we don't even know if the NX will be a successor of the 3DS, or a successor of the much less successful Wii U. It could very well be a home console, with some special connection to handheld consoles and Mobiles.

Also, Masuda said he was interested in using the New 3DS for future Pokemon installments, so the NX, if related to Pokemon in the future at all, could be further away than People suppose.

@NinjutsuSen I'm starting to question if you understand what content is. You're talking about things like training spots and dex variety which is good, but it's not really content. It's not really extra "stuff" for you to do, it just enhances existing content.

And if you can read more closely, I never said Pokedex variaty is content, but to reply one of your arguments in your post. Training spots are not that much of a content, but still something. But E4 rematches and gym leader rematches are a widely popular feature from the games and provide at least some more battling possibility. And yeah battling is a major part of pokemon beside the exploring so it's more to spend time. DP still only have the bad tower and VS Seeker rematches after you explore everything and want to get into the battles more.

And this is about it. BW had more battle "content" with a big post game area.

If no game is announced in 2015, Gen VII will pretty much be confirmed imo.

Also, a new Generation forthe 20th anniversary seems kinda logical. I still give more chances to Z though.

No it's not. The typical year off of a generation and then there are speculation about Gen 7 coming next. Guys this wasn't the first time the special versions are announced that late. BW2 was announced in February after a much bigger time gap. Platinum got announced 3 months after the reveal of O-Giratina. With all that Zygarde forms and the remaining events (and these are two), there's no way we get Gen 7 instead of Z next year.

And if you can read more closely, I never said Pokedex variaty is content, but to reply one of your arguments in your post. Training spots are not that much of a content, but still something. But E4 rematches and gym leader rematches are a widely popular feature from the games and provide at least some more battling possibility. And yeah battling is a major part of pokemon beside the exploring so it's more to spend time. DP still only have the bad tower and VS Seeker rematches after you explore everything and want to get into the battles more.

And this is about it. BW had more battle "content" with a big post game area.

No it's not. The typical year off of a generation and then there are speculation about Gen 7 coming next. Guys this wasn't the first time the special versions are announced that late. BW2 was announced in February after a much bigger time gap. Platinum got announced 3 months after the reveal of O-Giratina. With all that Zygarde forms and the remaining events (and these are two), there's no way we get Gen 7 instead of Z next year.

GF like surprising us you know...

You all forget that there's code for six games in this generation. Which means we have two games to go. There's three realistic routes this could take short of a major pattern change in the main series:

1. Paired Kalos sequels (X2/Y2)
Personally I'd hate this because I want Kanto games but Kalos does need another shot at glory.

2. Paired Kanto remakes (BlastRed/FrenzyGreen)
Ideally, this is what should happen. We got the new paired games, then Gen III's Hoenn remakes, to complete the Gen III set I think we need a redone Kanto revisit. With this option, I believe there would be a Kalos expansion DLC, probably called "Episode Z" in the absence of another Kalos game.

3. Third Kalos game and a solo Kanto game (Pokemon Z and Pokemon Volt Yellow)
I think this option makes the most sense. No Kalos sequels, but a remake, well-done revisit to Kalos, as well as the revival of a fan-favorite and for-sure 3DS best seller. With this, both Kalos and Kanto get some love, and imagine all the fans who would come back to Pokemon for the nostalgia of Yellow.

Like I said, short of a major pattern change and a never before seen change, these are the realistic options.

You all forget that there's code for six games in this generation. Which means we have two games to go. There's three realistic routes this could take short of a major pattern change in the main series:
or it's just extra games they left in there. Pokemon has unused shit in its data all the time.

1. Paired Kalos sequels (X2/Y2)
Personally I'd hate this because I want Kanto games but Kalos does need another shot at glory.
and yet Kanto, physically present in four generations and 'spiritually' present in all six, deserves another shot? ok.

2. Paired Kanto remakes (BlastRed/FrenzyGreen)
Ideally, this is what should happen. We got the new paired games, then Gen III's Hoenn remakes, to complete the Gen III set I think we need a redone Kanto revisit. With this option, I believe there would be a Kalos expansion DLC, probably called "Episode Z" in the absence of another Kalos game.
VC releases of RBY make re-remakes unlikely coming down the road (lest they sell poorly). also, why the fuck would GameFreak release RBY via VC and then less than a year down the road turn around and release RBYFRLG 3.0? talk about a shady (even more so than usual). also (pt 2), XYORAS are incompatible with DLC since they do not perform an SD card check.

3. Third Kalos game and a solo Kanto game (Pokemon Z and Pokemon Volt Yellow)
I think this option makes the most sense. No Kalos sequels, but a remake, well-done revisit to Kalos, as well as the revival of a fan-favorite and for-sure 3DS best seller. With this, both Kalos and Kanto get some love, and imagine all the fans who would come back to Pokemon for the nostalgia of Yellow.
a third Kalos game is fairly likely (as likeliness goes) at this point, however a remake of Yellow is highly unlikely. again, they're already re-releasing RBY for the virtual console, rendering a remake of Yellow 'because nostalgia,' almost pointless because what better way to take advantage of nostalgia than actually using the original game. most of what was said for #2 applies here too.

you also forgot realistic option #4: Kalos Game #3 and Pokemon Go.

or it's just extra games they left in there. Pokemon has unused shit in its data all the time.

and yet Kanto, physically present in four generations and 'spiritually' present in all six, deserves another shot? ok.

VC releases of RBY make re-remakes unlikely coming down the road (lest they sell poorly). also, why the fuck would GameFreak release RBY via VC and then less than a year down the road turn around and release RBYFRLG 3.0? talk about a shady (even more so than usual). also (pt 2), XYORAS are incompatible with DLC since they do not perform an SD card check.

a third Kalos game is fairly likely (as likeliness goes) at this point, however a remake of Yellow is highly unlikely. again, they're already re-releasing RBY for the virtual console, rendering a remake of Yellow 'because nostalgia,' almost pointless because what way to take advantage of nostalgia than actually using the original game. most of what was said for #2 applies here too.

you also forgot realistic option #4: Kalos Game #3 and Pokemon Go.

RBY proves nothing, if anything it could be thought of as a teaser/trailer for what's to come with future Kanto games, they'd be borderline stupid not to take advantage of the nostalgia factor Yellow would bring with it. And as for Kanto deserving another shot and Kalos supposedly not, you realize option 1 was the one I supported the least right? These are just the reasonable options GF could take based on previous generational patterns, don't shoot me for it lol

Oh, and Pokemon Go isn't going to take up a main series slot, it's an application for iOS and Android also, so it's definitely not going to fit into one of those slots for the 3DS version.

What about two new games:

Lets name the first one Pokemon Z for convenience: It's set in Kalos 3 years after the events of XY. Maybe they could implement Volcanion as the main antagonist wreaking havoc in Kalos and you've got to find AZ and work together with him to save the region from further harm. After the league you can travel to Kanto and revisit the region in a Kanto Episode, set approx. 10 years after the events of HGSS.

The second one of the pair, lets give it a name like Pokemon Spectrum or some color associated term, is a continuation of the Kanto story, 10 years after HGSS, with new villains, Team Rocket present as some kind of assistance in fighting the new villains, updated region design and badge quest. After the league (and hopefully including the Sevii-Islands) you can, you guessed it, play through the Kalos episode...

Well, this way all the Kanto references in Kalos can be set aside for original content and this scenario would be truly surprising.

What is it with people and the constant talk of wanting Gen I remakes, AGAIN. Even if they released RBYFRLG 3.0, I can assure you I won't even bother buying it lol. We're getting RBY on VC very soon, it's entirely worth the wait, and worth seeing that it tells us Kanto is not revamping again any time soon. XY was nostalgia overkill at the end of the day, I'm not ready for that again, let's focus fully on Kalos with Z, yay.

I cant even begin to comprehend the logistics of gen 7 being out next year, let alone september. That would require not only advertising the next generation during the league, but also around or before the 8th badge, and also during the escalation of the team flare plot for the Anime. Zoroark was outed by February yes, however it did not share the movie with the last event mon, a situation that surely wont be repeated like gensect, as there is no . Not to mention despite the Anime, I doubt they would not have the next movie involve Zygarde, that would be too big a departure. I mean sure it can happen, buts its a baffling if it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom