• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want any more evolution mechanics...it would be getting towards Digimon's complicated structure if there is more IMO.

I don't want cross generation evolutions to be Eevee-exclusive. I understand that mega evolutions can give old pokemon new times to shine, but some that I want to receive mega evolutions still wouldn't be powerful enough to be competitive.

All I want to happen is XZ and YZ to come up as soon as possible just as Black/White 2 versions; two/three years after the first pairs in two different versions.

And please Mega Butterfree as Bug + Psyhic.

I don't think it would be XZ and YZ. From what I have seen, it is likely we are getting a solo Z version and Zygarde doesn't have two complete forms for a pair of games. Black 2 and White 2 happened because they introduced two forms of Kyurem.

I don't think it would be XZ and YZ. From what I have seen, it is likely we are getting a solo Z version and Zygarde doesn't have two complete forms for a pair of games. Black 2 and White 2 happened because they introduced two forms of Kyurem.
Well I get your point very right and seems fair enough but I think that might be a tip that we have two different Z in the anime as the one with blue gem and the one with red gem. It may be improved by the time and as the next set games get prepared, it could mean for us to choose between the two?

Even if it was only a single Z version, it could still be a proper sequel...

Agree, it could definitely still be called 'Z' version but be a proper sequel and have some big surprises. After all, Gamefreak have repeated more than once that they want to keep us on our toes, and I'm not sure that a plain old 3rd version in the vein of Crystal or Emerald would accomplish that.

(Not that I'd complain about a plain old 3rd version, I'd still play the hell out of it)

Apparently Corocoro is already out in some parts of Japan so we should be receiving leaks soon. Place your bets on what's going to be revealed now.

Just some information on Zygarde being in the 19th movie, nothing special. And also, information on the upcoming XY&Z episodes in Japan. That's what I can speculate is going to be in CoroCoro.

Yesterday it was the anniversary of two years since the Pokémon XY announcement, I wonder if we will get Pokémon ''Z'' announcement this month. It would be fitting, if anything.

You keep trying to distinguish the two, it's not about having an advantage over megas, as stated these would be considered megas. You're just removing the stone requirment. It wouldn't mean some have an advantage over others, as every Mega would be achievable in this way. If you do insist on it having a draw back though, a recent preview of an upcoming episode mentioned they didn't know what caused it or why it happened. It could be similar to other amie benefits, like crit hits and holding on at 1HP where they don't happen all the time, so there would be an element of luck maybe whether your Pokemon mega evolved or not. Personally though I'd find that annoying.
Well they literally changed the rules and history of mega evolution in the game directly after they were introduced so that doesn't hold water.

XY: Lucario was the first Mega Evolution
ORAS: No Rayquaza was

XY: The trainer must have a key stone and Mega evolve has to be selected
ORAS: For certain ones like Groudon and Kyogre, no key stone is necessary, mega evolution is automatic

XY: The Pokemon must hold a Mega Stone
ORAS: Rayquaza doesn't need to hold a mega stone.

Not to mention the anime has shown Mewtwo, Diancie, Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza all bending the rules.

What I am suggesting is a simplification, instead of key stones, and 50+ mega stones you just need to bond with the pokemon through amie.

Funny you should mention that I think they take a lot of inspiration from Dragon Ball, Kyurem needing to absorb Reshiram and Zekrom reminds me of Cell, as done Zygarde and all it's cells. Maybe even Swirlix and Slurpuff were based on equally pink Majin Buu and his love of sweets! ;) (I'm part joking part serious. ) And my point on Mega/Synchro could be akin to fusion, where in Dragon Ball you initially needed the Potara ear rings, one for each person, and the transformation had draw backs like being permanent, and then it got replaced with the fusion dance which was the same but without the draw backs.

- You keep missing the point. Maybe you are not in competitive battling, but Megas are design mostly towards the competitive scene. So, having Megas WITH a megastone (the existing Mega Pokemon) and having Megas WITHOUT megastones (and, therefore, able to hold a boosting item) would literally BREAK the competitive scene. Just look what happened to Mega Rayquaza: banned from Ubers.
So, the only solutions would be to make Synch evolution without Mega Stones weaker than those that already have a Mega Stone, to compense the free item slot.

- Primal Reversion is NOT Mega Evolution. It is a one off thing, done only for legendaries.

- Mega Rayquaza is a special and UNIQUE Pokemon. Hi is the only one that mega evolves differently. They are not going to make it a common thing.

- Anime rules don't matter main game wise.

- The simplification could work, only if those new Megas get a weaker boost than those that do need to hold megastones.

- Using one or two DB mechanics is ok, but there is a line to how many things Pokemon should borrow from fellow franchises you know...

- You keep missing the point. Maybe you are not in competitive battling, but Megas are design mostly towards the competitive scene. So, having Megas WITH a megastone (the existing Mega Pokemon) and having Megas WITHOUT megastones (and, therefore, able to hold a boosting item) would literally BREAK the competitive scene. Just look what happened to Mega Rayquaza: banned from Ubers.
So, the only solutions would be to make Synch evolution without Mega Stones weaker than those that already have a Mega Stone, to compense the free item slot.

- Primal Reversion is NOT Mega Evolution. It is a one off thing, done only for legendaries.

- Mega Rayquaza is a special and UNIQUE Pokemon. Hi is the only one that mega evolves differently. They are not going to make it a common thing.

- The simplification could work, only if those new Megas get a weaker boost than those that do need to hold megastones.

- Using one or two DB mechanics is ok, but there is a line to how many things Pokemon should borrow from fellow franchises you know...
We can't say that something is borrowing from something else as these concepts have existed in the media before DBZ or Pokémon used them. As for whatever Ash Greninja is, the anime seems to hint that it seems to be more natural and seemingly powerful than regular ME because the Pokémon and trainer literally become one in a sense. So theoretically speaking I could see these forms being a tad more powerful but at a cost like they might only last a certain amount of turns before they revert back to their initial stage.

First off Game Freak does not recognise Smogon or fan made tiers, which you seem to be referencing. I am certain that when they are designing Pokemon or concepts they don't consult with Smogon, or wonder what tier Smogon would put in.

I'm afraid you've failed to understand my theory again. It's not about two different systems, it would apply retrospectively to all Megas for example, Venusaur would no longer need Venusaurite to become a Mega. It's like taking a different path to the same result. So the mega stones are no longer needed when trainers start developing a stronger bond. Mega stones, like Apricorns would fall out of use because all Mega evolution would eventually be done through this new method. It would be a simplifying of Mega evolution, not a new concept to rival mega evolution.

If when writing your reply you feel the need at any stage to refer to any unfair advantage between one or the other, please don't as it shows you've failed to understand again.

EDIT: I've thought of another way to try and explain it, imagine you live in a small town and want to drive to the big city near you, up until now you've taken a long winding rural road, but now they have built a motorway for you to get there a different way.

The final destination is still the same city, one city is not better than the other, there's just 2 ways to get there, and eventually everyone will just use the motorway method.

Last edited:
There are two simple solutions to this:

First, they could erase the need to hold a Mega Stone and simply make it so that all you need to achieve ME is your Key Stone and 5 hearts in Amie or some similar concept. In addition, the Pokemon can only Mega evolve when it has NO item, to prevent them from being broken.

Secondly, though this could only be done if all ME's are finally introduced, they could create one single item simply called Mega Stone. Of course it could be obtained more than once.

But I think they will keep on introducing specific Mega Stones and create a Bag for them from the next generation onwards.

So I was contemplating the future of Gen 6 and came up with a theory I think answers everyone's points and concerns.

Since Gen 1, Pokemon has suffered from "power creep" initially Mewtwo was the strongest of all Pokemon, with a BST of 680, it's closest rivals only had a BST of 600 (Mew, Dragonite) .

Then in Gen 2, we got 2 new Pokemon with a 680 BST (Ho oh and Lugia)
Then in Gen 3, we got 3 new Pokemon with a 680 BST (Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza)

Suddenly a 680 BST was not all that special, and in Gen 4 with another 3 (Dialga, Palkia, Giratina) we got Arceus with a BST of 720, although it was concealed to Mythical status only.

In Gen 5 we got Reshiram and Zekrom with 680 BST and now, Kyurem could reach 700, without the limitation of it being Myhtical.

Now Gen 6 gave us Mega evolution, in XY we got 2 Pokemon (Mega Mewtwo X and Y) with a 780 BST. In ORAS, we got 2 more 780 BST, (primals) and a third that was even more powerful as it could hold an item (mega rayquaza)

So what could we see in Z, Perfect Zygarde is unlikely to reach 780, indeed most speculation I see for it hovers around the 700 mark. I however believe that Zygarde in its full form, would be equal in BST to the rest of its trio, aka 680, the reason it is stated to be stronger, because of it's ability.

Similar to Rayquaza who I see many parallels too, both are Green dragons, who restore balance, and keep the red/blue members of their trio in check who are otherwise engaged in endless battle, indeed, there is even a paralel between Rayquaza ruling the sky (Flying) and Zygarde on earth (Ground)

In ORAS we got to see Rayquaza gain a mega form, reaching a 780 BST, and with a new method of mega evolution, through knowing a set move.
One of the points made by those arguing for Gen 7, is that it would be weird for Perfect Zygarde to appear as the box mascot, 9 months almost after it's reveal.

It was then I remembered Zygarde has 2 hidden moves that we have yet to be revealed, thousand waves and thousand arrows. And that's when it hit me, Zygarde could Mega Evolve into 2 different forms depending on the move it knows, introducing Mega Zygarde X and Mega Zygarde Y, or Pokemon ZX and Pokemon ZY

Posters have shown that Perfect Zygarde is likely to be revealed in March and many have speculated it could leave around this time, I'm yet to be convinced it would leave, but if it does, it could tie into the movie 4 months later quite nicely.

My theory is we could see Volcanion on a rampage for whatever reason, blowing up mountains, destroying the eco system etc, when Zygarde turns up, already in Perfect form, yes the same Zygarde from the anime, however Perfect Zygarde (680) is no match for Primal Volcanion (700) and gets beat.

Bonnie rushes over to it, crying, shouting "Punichan" at which point it Mega evolves (into Mega Zygarde Y just like Mega Mewtwo Y before it, and to show Punichan's link to Bonnie as I imagine the Y form will be redder) now with a 780 BST, and its bond with Bonnie fueling it, it can easily beat Primal Volcanion and save the say.

Then the games come out around this time or at least announced at this time, sequels set 3 years after XY, with a new story, with new areas in South Kalos to keep the anime going.

TLDR:

2 new megas for Zygarde after perfect form, Y form debuts in movie, each mega gets its own mascot spot on a box, in XY sequels. The mega form Zygarde takes depends on which secret move it knows.

Last edited:
There are two simple solutions to this:

First, they could erase the need to hold a Mega Stone and simply make it so that all you need to achieve ME is your Key Stone and 5 hearts in Amie or some similar concept. In addition, the Pokemon can only Mega evolve when it has NO item, to prevent them from being broken.

Secondly, though this could only be done if all ME's are finally introduced, they could create one single item simply called Mega Stone. Of course it could be obtained more than once.
YES YES YES! I think the first one is a brilliant solution and would make the mega evolution process much more realistic in the sense of it being a bond with a trainer. I mean it is just item complicated and logic avoiding as it is currently. Right now it has nothing to do with the hearts linked between trainer and Pokemon and more to do with whether or not you got the hide-and-seek-item-stones which is ridiculous.

I also think once every one has a ME, the second possibility is the most logical solution if they must keep the stones being held.

!Z! lol please no. Zygarde getting two mega evolutions after this odd abundance of forms would be extremely ridiculous.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
You know, somehow if we did ended up getting two versions of Z (similar to the sequels of Black and White) I an oddly see the games being named Z Red and Z Blue. That way the main theme would be green but the red and blue would resemble the gems upon the Zygoate and still reflecting the three first colors of Pokemon Red, Blue and Green.

Reactions: !Z!
First off Game Freak does not recognise Smogon or fan made tiers, which you seem to be referencing. I am certain that when they are designing Pokemon or concepts they don't consult with Smogon, or wonder what tier Smogon would put in.

I'm afraid you've failed to understand my theory again. It's not about two different systems, it would apply retrospectively to all Megas for example, Venusaur would no longer need Venusaurite to become a Mega. It's like taking a different path to the same result. So the mega stones are no longer needed when trainers start developing a stronger bond. Mega stones, like Apricorns would fall out of use because all Mega evolution would eventually be done through this new method. It would be a simplifying of Mega evolution, not a new concept to rival mega evolution.

If when writing your reply you feel the need at any stage to refer to any unfair advantage between one or the other, please don't as it shows you've failed to understand again.

EDIT: I've thought of another way to try and explain it, imagine you live in a small town and want to drive to the big city near you, up until now you've taken a long winding rural road, but now they have built a motorway for you to get there a different way.

The final destination is still the same city, one city is not better than the other, there's just 2 ways to get there, and eventually everyone will just use the motorway method.
I wasn't talking about Smogon, I am talking about VGC. The very reason GF made Megas hold a Mega Stone, was precisly for avoiding Pokemon to become broken competitively, by Mega evolving AND holding a battle item.

I didn't understand you want to abolish existing Mega Stones too, sorry about that. That would be very convenient, as we wouldn't have to use find Mega Stones.

However, Game Freak wouldn't want a Pokemon to be able to go Mega AND hold a boosting item.

I think @Disobedient came up with the best solution: a Pokemon could only go mega, if not holding an item. If Game Freak did that, it would be the perfect solution.

However, what I don't understand is your insistence in abolishing something Game Freak just introduced like Mega Stones.

Yes, they could eventually become complicated to collect, however, GF can easily introduce a seller for each game: a Mega Stone collector that has all the Mega Stones, and sells them, or exchanges them for shards, etc. There are more solutions than you scrapping the whole idea of Meg Stones.

You are clearly grasping at straws (like everybody here, me too), but you should remember Game Freak might not want to include Anime exclusive features like Synch Evolution, etc. And maybe they like how Mega Evolution functions currently, more than you (or me).

Last edited:
Hasn't Pokemon Z already been confirmed? I mean, New forms of Zygarde have been leaked...

I wasn't talking about Smogon, I am talking about VGC. The very reason GF made Megas hold a Mega Stone, was precisly for avoiding Pokemon to become broken competitively, by Mega evolving AND holding a battle item.

I didn't understand you want to abolish existing Mega Stones too. That would be very convenient, as we wouldn't have to use find Mega Stones.

However, Game Freak wouldn't want a Pokemon to be able to go Mega AND hold a boosting item.

I think @Disobedient came up with the best solution: a Pokemon could only go mega, if not holding an item.

However, what I don't understand is your insistence in abolishing something Game Freak just introduced: Mega Stones.

Yes, they could eventually become complicated to collect, however, GF can easily introduce a seller for each game: a Mega Stone collector that has all the Mega Stones, and sells them, or exchanges them for shards, etc. There are more solutions than you scrapping the whole idea of Meg Stones.

You are clearly grasping at straws (like everybody here, me too), but you should remember Game Freak might not want to include Anime exclusive features like Synch Evolution, etc. And maybe they like how Mega Evolution functions currently, more than you (or me).

It's just a theory, I'm not clutching at straws or saying it's likely, just throwing around ideas. Besides it wouldnt be the first time GF introduced something that wasnt present in the next gen. Apricorns, VS Seeker, Seasons. Megas would still be in game, just no need for stones. Like how Milotic used to need full beauty and now can evolve with Prism scale instead.

In my opinion a unique mega stone for every mega evolution isnt sustainable. Even if they limited it to 10 a game, by the end of Gen 7 we'd have 88 seperate mega stones. Also they are likely to want to do more than 10 a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom