• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was already a marked difference between the quality of cutscenes in XY and ORAS, and such a tiny overall time gap between the 2. If Gamefreak can improve their graphics that much in such a short period, then it's pretty safe to say that by the time Sinnoh Remakes roll around the visuals are gonna knock our socks off.

I know it's unlikely to happen because it's from Platinum, not D/P, but I want the distrortion world in glorious full 3D. PLEEEAAASE MASUDA-SAN.

So the return of Unova is the next thing to speculate? Problems with that: Unova was the region before Kalos was introduce, Sinnoh should return first and both regions are playable on 3DS systems already. Remakes generally are on are updated game console systems that isn't capable of playing older games.

If Sinnoh remakes happen next gen, don't expect miracles. Hell, don't expect miracled from gen 7 either. Just look at DP, compared to what Platinum gave us, and then look at XY, which was considerably better then DP, but had its fair share of issues, and then ORAS came along and improved things. So yeah, if gen 7 is on new hardware, keep your expectations low. At the worst, its just gonna be an HD rendering of the XY engine. At the best, its gonna be the XY engine in HD and then some. I don't honestly expect them to use something other then an optimized XY Engine for the NX, unless they put gen 7 on the 3DS to let themselves have some time to work on a new engine, much like how gen 5 on the DS gave em time to work on the 3DS.
To be perfect honest though, I'm fine with the XY Engine. All they really have to do to make a difference is:
-Use higher resolution textures
-Have the proportions and scale of the world be the cutscene proportions all the time, having a seamless transition, instead of the jarring change from chibi deformed OW to proper proportions. Granite Cave is the prime example of this, imagine walking in on the mural at the size it was in the cutscene, instead of having a quick cut to a 10 second clip.
-Optimize the hell out of the OW to alow seamless gameplay. I don't need a segueway to enter the slateport market every time.

I've said it before, dradtically uprooting the games and giving us a brand new engine every generation or hardware change is something of the past. Once they went past the point of having a 3D overworld and battle scenes, I always expected that to be the last big update. Jumping from 3DS to NX isn't the same thing as GBA to DS, which utilized sprites alongside a 3D overworld, and it certainly isn't going to be the same as the jump from DS to 3DS. Unless they decide to suddenly change the way the games play, and they introduce an entieely new OW style, I doubt we are going to see any huge jumps in he graphics and engind

I know this is just grasping at straws and speculating, but I found it strange that XY had Gym Leader rematches. This is something that usually only third versions have.

And I was thinking, could it be that they don't intend to do an other Kalos game this generation, and they wanted to give players the possibility to rematch the Kalos gym leaders?

It's just I didn't expect this feature in a generation debut pair.

I am not suggesting gen VII is next, just a different continuation of gen VI (an Anniversary special game, Kanto revisit, etc).

So... Like Volcanion is practically a mix of the powers of Groudon and Kyogre, now Hoopa's rings can travel in the Time-Space continuum? Interesting... (Hoopa in DP remakes confirmed!!!! Without event!!!! :D:D) But it is probable in the DP remakes (Gen VII, VIII event Pokémon) that the new event Pokémon will take the spotlight, like Hoopa's rings in Hoenn, and Mega Diancie being Hoenn-exclusive. Volcanion is the only one that gives me a pure Kalosian feel, and even it has a friggin' event in ORAS.
So, in the Gen DP remakes take part, I'm pretty sure the event legendary of that Gen will have a story in DP remakes, but hey, GF does not go for patterns! It could have anything.
Regarding Gen VI, we (well, at least me) need news!!!! The wait is killing me!!!!
So... Zygarde Complete has 2 cores. That is confirmed.
SPECULATION: There could be 3 more cores apart from the other two, the purple, the white, and the yellow, given Complete Zygarde's mouth in the chest.

There are 10% form (based on Fenrir), 50% form (based on Jormungandr/Nidhoggr), and 100% form (based on Hel). I think 25% or 75% form can take the form of a horse (so it is based on Sleipnir, the son of Loki in form of a mare).
So thank for reading my speculation.
I know this is just grasping at straws and speculating, but I found it strange that XY had Gym Leader rematches. This is something that usually only third versions have.

And I was thinking, could it be that they don't intend to do an other Kalos game this generation, and they wanted to give players the possibility to rematch the Kalos gym leaders?

I am not suggesting gen VII is next, just a different continuation of gen VI (an Anniversary special game, Kanto revisit, etc).
There is still a problem: Zygarde. Obviously in an anniversary game it can be possible to explain it, but in Kanto? I don't think so.
Besides, well, Idk, I know Elite 5 worsened their teams in the Chateau, but did Gym Leaders improve their teams? I don't remember.
Maybe you are right, but Z can't be left unexplained.

Last edited:

Contrary to my usual positions of a another Kalos-centric game, it could also just mean that Game Freak, for once in their lives, decided to not withhold features to artificially pad new games.

But also going by this logic, we should expect a Delta Emerald since there were no rematches in ORAS (even though they added rematches in HgSs).

So... Like Volcanion is practically a mix of the powers of Groudon and Kyogre.
I wouldn't call the ability to produce steam the equivalent of torrential downpours and scorching droughts, and its definitely a stretch to consider it equivalent to raising the sea level to engulf land masses and creating new lands.

Contrary to my usual positions of a another Kalos-centric game, it could also just mean that Game Freak, for once in their lives, decided to not withhold features to artificially pad new games.

But also going by this logic, we should expect a Delta Emerald since there were no rematches in ORAS (even though they added rematches in HgSs).

I wouldn't call the ability to produce steam the equivalent of torrential downpours and scorching droughts, and its definitely a stretch to consider it equivalent to raising the sea level to engulf land masses and creating new lands.
I thought about this already. But the difference is that Hoenn gym Leaders can be rematched in B2W2 PWT. Kalos gym leaders cannot, since Kalos came after.

Again, it's only a very speculative theory, but it did surprise me a lot.

Also, seeing how ORAS doesn't have gym leader rematches, it only reinforces the hypothesis that it could've been a one time only thing that GF did for XY, because they were planning something different next.

Last edited:

No, I was just referring to the pure elements, but I think Volcanion is more to Zygarde like a Deoxys to Rayquaza. I was just explaining it in the wrong way, because I was considering how Project AZOTH were after Volcanion before going big, separating into Magma and Aqua and awakening the Titans. I was exaggerating.

If we ever do get Delta Emerald... I'm expecting them to make a new team relating to the sky / Flying types. That and I just want to see the missing characters from Emerald return.

No, I was just referring to the pure elements, but I think Volcanion is more to Zygarde like a Deoxys to Rayquaza. I was just explaining it in the wrong way, because I was considering how Project AZOTH were after Volcanion before going big, separating into Magma and Aqua and awakening the Titans. I was exaggerating.

I can see them doing Zygarde VS Volcanion starting in the movie like Rayquaza VS Deoxys. Honestly, a little part of me wants to see Rayquaza and Zygarde fight each other, considering how they seem to be counterparts.

There is still a problem: Zygarde. Obviously in an anniversary game it can be possible to explain it, but in Kanto? I don't think so.
Besides, well, Idk, I know Elite 5 worsened their teams in the Chateau, but did Gym Leaders improve their teams? I don't remember.
Maybe you are right, but Z can't be left unexplained.

Well, the Battle Chateau gym leader rematches and Pokemon League rematches are both very poorly implemented, with 2 Pokemon limit for gym leaders, 3 Pokemon limit for E4 members, and 4 Pokemon limit for Diantha. But regardless of this, their level do get quite high when using the writs, so they definitely count as a form of rematches.

I think the theory makes sense for these reasons:

- Gym leader rematches usually only exist in third version games, but XY had them. The game after XY didn't have them. That's very suspicious imo.

- the next game is taking suspiciously long to release. It does look like they might be doing something different for the anniversary. Yes, they could be taking a year off like between DP and Platinum, but since their staff has doubled since then, I don't see the reason to take a year off, considering their main goal is to make money!

- It is the Anniversary, and they promised to surprise us. An other Kalos game would be anything but surprising, considering that everybody is expecting Kalos next (it's been the classic pattern they use and people are used to it already.

Just to make it clear, I am not necessarily suggesting gen VII. It could be a special game for the anniversary, like Yellow was in gen I, and be part of gen VI.

Last edited:
Perhaps rematches were in XY because the next Kalos game will feature a whole new roster? Not suggesting something Drastic, just if they introduce like 5 new leaders in a hypothetical South Kalos, the last 3 could be new leaders in already established gyms, or in old locations. Just hard to imagine which ones, compared to older regions, Kalos has a lot of young blood, and only like 3 really edtablished and older ones. And all 3 are in different corners of the region to say anything concrete about how they could be replaced and make it work.

- the next game is taking suspiciously long to release.

This has got to be one of the biggest recurring falsehoods of this debate. There was a 20 month gap between DP's release and Platinum's reveal, and a 17 month gap between Black/White's release and Black2/White2 reveal. They have a big gap like this in each generation.

It has been 14 months since ORAS was released so if the next game was to be revealed in February or March it would have actually been one of the shortest gaps for these year long breaks, not a "suspiciously long" one. Hope this helps :)

This has got to be one of the biggest recurring falsehoods of this debate. There was a 20 month gap between DP's release and Platinum's reveal, and a 17 month gap between Black/White's release and Black2/White2 reveal. They have a big gap like this in each generation.

It has been 14 months since ORAS was released so if the next game was to be revealed in February or March it would have actually been one of the shortest gaps for these year long breaks, not a "suspiciously long" one. Hope this helps :)

Did you skip the part about their staff being vastly expanded, in order to make games faster?

Anyway, currently I have no idea what they are making next, but I certainly know what I would prefer next: gen VI to continue, but with an unexpected game. An anniversary special edition, but still a part of this generation. A celebration game, in short.

Did you skip the part about their staff being vastly expanded, in order to make games faster?

Actually, 1) that hasn't been confirmed to my knowledge and 2) more people in their employ could be to put more quality into each release, rather than to start development on other games faster so they come out faster.

that's not what the article says. yes it confirms that they expanded their studio, but they did not say whether or not it was for the purpose of speeding up releases.
Fair enough. But using common sense, this expansion would speed up the process considerably, even double it. The article does say this gives them more freedom.

Fair enough. But using common sense, this expansion would speed up the process considerably, even double it.
we don't know that. we have very little insight on how Game Freak's projects are actually executed nor do we ever really have a schedule of when Game Freak's developments actually start. not to mention XY/ORAS came out at roughly the same speed as previous generations' releases so ultimately the increased staff may be a function of necessity due to the more intensive graphics.

The article does say this gives them more freedom.
....to do stuff other than Pokemon, which is something they (apparently) want to do. meaning the increased staff may actually have virtually no impact on the speed of their Pokemon releases because they're still using the same number of people for them.

Reactions: !Z!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom