• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII Legendary Pokemon Discussion

The part about the video that I like the most that i think has a lot of potential is the idea that Zygarde is part of a Sun-Moon-Earth trio, so he's definitely involved in the lore of SM, but not a mascot.

Not to double post, but this is unrelated to my last post. TyranitarTube just released a Speculation video that kind of blew my mind. I think he's on to something here.

This is just too good. It's so perfect. Almost too good to be true. I must defend it.
I love TTarTube, but I can't agree with him here.

a) Game Freak ain't gonna use a Gen VI Pokémon as a Gen VII mascot.
b) Zygarde is stated in-dex to be protecting the ecosystem of KALOS. Kalos, guys, not the world.
c) Zygarde is what the anime's current plot revolves around. Good luck making the Sun and Moon anime series with one of the main legendaries already spent.
d) Strange Souvenir looks nothing like Complete Zygarde.

I'll give him this - Complete Zygarde is a Gen VII forme of a Gen VI Pokémon, so it's definitely tied to the SM legends in some way, but no more than it is to Xerneas and Yveltal. We might get a post-game plot in which Zygarde, a legendary Pokémon from Kalos, gets involved for some reason, say, the evil team's remaining admins captured it and we need to help...

a) He cleared it up at the end that he didn't think it would be the Sun mascot, but a third member to the Sun and Moon mascots.
b) Meh, dex entries. One mentions Kalos, the other says it does it in general.
c) Make Zygarde's storyline lead into the next? I don't know anything about the anime, soo....
d) No, the Strange Souvenir doesn't look like Zygarde's HEAD. But it does kind of look like Zygarde's abdomen.

In support of the colour theory he showed, I actually used the official art colours and got this:
temp2.png

Now, notice the two right colours don't match up that well? Well that's okay because that part of Zygarde is in the back, so it's shaded, hence why those colours are darker. pls

Last edited:
As long as Zygarde and it's forms are in Sun and Moon then I am satisfied. As for new legendarys, two would be the mascots and I say about 7 others would be available through the region.

Seven is a heck of a lot, I don't want that many. The two mascots, Zygarde, one trio, magearna and maybe one more is fine with me.

Seven is a heck of a lot, I don't want that many. The two mascots, Zygarde, one trio, magearna and maybe one more is fine with me.
Well, I mean, I'd agree with you, but that's because I'm assuming this Gen will only have ~110 Pokemon, if not less... They could surprise me and go for something like ~140-150 (151?!), and in that case I'd be fine with ~9 legends in total (not counting Zygarde), as @Alexander said.
I'd especially be fine with that number IF it means that this generation will be longer (around 4 years like III and IV?).... I think number of legendary Pokemon, though it doesn't necessarily mean a longer gen (V.... Why V?), one could argue it gives more potential for a longer gen? Hmm....

Predicting it now on the Sun and Moon Mascots while I still can; Sun's Mascot will be themed after a Lion, whereas Moon will be themed after a Rabbit.

I'm feeling strongly that moon's mascot will be some kind of sea monster, maybe water/fairy or water/dark. I think Sun's could be a Dragon, maybe Fire/Dragon or Dragon/Flying. I do love the idea of a Lion for the Sun legendary but for some reason it doesn't seem as likely to me.

Anyway, speaking of ratios between the total number of Pokemon and the number of legendaries, I decided to do some stats for you guys (oh beautiful numbers.... Oh yes....) and got carried away. So anyway, here it is.
Notice some graphs of data might not be as useful as others. For example, IMO, looking at just the number of Myths, Non-Myths, and Legends, isn't as useful as looking at the ratios, and the more "erratic" data, if you will, kind of shows that.
Also, admittedly, the functions chosen as the trendlines are based on value judgments (so Legend, Non-Myth, and Myth are logarithmic, Myth/Legend is linear, the rest are written), but overall I tried to use one's that give a better r-squared value and also make sense given what is expected from the generation. So, for example, Non-Myth/Total, if I had used a second degree polynomial, would've given a higher R-squared value (meaning the line fits the data better), but would've projected MORE Mythical Legends than NON-Mythical Legends, which I'm sure most would agree would not happen (pls.)
So yeah, it's still stats, and contrary to popular belief, the interpretation of stats has to involve subjectivity, not only objectivity.
Charts are split up depending on the scale of the data's range.
temp2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hereby predicting that all of you who think the sun legendary is a lion will be so wrong.

I would love a lion headed griffin, but a lion anything might be too predictable per Masuda's anti-predictability movement XD

I felt this belonged here
OH MY GOD GUYS HAS ANYONE POINTED THIS OUT YET
IT'S RELATED TO THAT VIDEO ABOUT THE ZYGARDE THEORY

View attachment 99730
LIKE DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I KNOW THEY DON'T LOOK LIKE THE SAME SHAPE BUT THAT MIGHT JUST BE THE ANGLE
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH
LIKE WHAT IF THERE ARE 4 ZYGARDE CORES....
Two corresponding to Yveltal and Xerneas, and two corresponding to THE SUN LEGENDARY AND THE MOON LEGENDARY!!!
AHHH BALANCE BETWEEN LIFE AND DEATH, BETWEEN LIGHT AND DARK!! BETWEEN THE SUN AND THE MOON AHHHHHHH
Okay I'm done pls.

@Phoenixon as cool as that sounds, I'm not really seeing the yellow crystal matching up with the orange lol

@Phoenixon as cool as that sounds, I'm not really seeing the yellow crystal matching up with the orange lol
Ahh I feel that man, I just think it's colouring in the poster is a bit off... If you look at Complete Zygarde's official artwork, it isn't as dark of an orange, and it's more of the yellow-ish orange we see on the logo...
Allllllooowwwwww iiiittttttt

The colors could also be purposefully shifted for perception. The same color will look different depending on the colors next to it, so the colors could be adjusted so they look the same to the eye based on what is around it, although if you actually matched them up next to each other they are proven to be different.

Well, there's also the consideration of the fact that it's anime art. It could be very possible that Zygarde Complete's 5 colour aesthetic may actually be a gradient in its Sugimori artwork, should it ever receive one, though someone do correct me if my question has already been answered by movie artwork (which tends to have some form of shading).

I guess the second idea for this connection lies in Zygarde's unreleased moves, and their particular naming. Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves. The Greek God Apollo is a particularly well known god of both the Sun and Archery. Depicted shooting invisible arrows. His counterpart and twin sister in mythology is also Artemis, a god who represents the moon. The move Thousand Waves might be a referral to the resonance tidal effects of the moon, whilst Thousand Arrows of course could relate to the amplication and direction of the suns rays, couple this with Land's Wrath- and they could all be moves that each represent the Sun, Moon and Earth.

Moving this here:
The theory was more convincing when they just used the colors of the SM logos... tying the diamonds into it and saying that those are the Cores just makes it seem a bit more reach-ey, to be honest.

You're right, but that wasn't exactly the point of what I said (admittedly, my bad).
I'll admit, the diamonds in the logo may not be the ones in his chest. However, it's what lead me to the stronger, more convincing idea:
(Regardless of the logos,) I'm gonna go ahead and say the two diamonds on the far left and right are definitely the same diamonds as the two cores.
Given that, why are there three extra diamonds then?
The color thing was actually a weaker theory (NOTE: I did not know about this Core diamond stuff in his chest, in the video I thought that was just fan art, only yesterday I learnt it was from the movie poster), because that might just be the artist having a transition from blue/red to get to white. But clearly, now we see those colours on his chest are actually important for Zygarde's own "backstory", if you will, because they're more than colours.

I guess the second idea for this connection lies in Zygarde's unreleased moves, and their particular naming. Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves. The Greek God Apollo is a particularly well known god of both the Sun and Archery. Depicted shooting invisible arrows. His counterpart and twin sister in mythology is also Artemis, a god who represents the moon. The move Thousand Waves might be a referral to the resonance tidal effects of the moon, whilst Thousand Arrows of course could relate to the amplication and direction of the suns rays, couple this with Land's Wrath- and they could all be moves that each represent the Sun, Moon and Earth.

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD
temp2.png
A SERPENT/PYTHON TOO!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

EDIT: Oh my god, PART TWO:
An Earth Dragon too.

EDIT 2: Oh my god, PART THREE:
temp2.png

Protector of the Earth. Like I'm not even trying anymore.

Last edited:
If it turns out that there isn't a Zygarde relation to the new mascots hinted at or fully explained this generation and GF doesn't plan on creating another installment to that region, then I'd rather the mascots only remain a duo, especially if the third legendary would just get ignored by GF like with Zygarde.

Back
Top Bottom