• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Graphics Thread

There's definitely different feels to the old and new graphics. There was a certain cuteness to the chibi models that went really well with Pokemon, but it could look absurd in cutscenes and make the world feel too small. The new graphics are a lot cleaner and more realistic but run the risk of feeling bland.

I think I prefer the new graphics overall, just because they've tidied everything up. Unfortunately, the colours are still very washed out, which suggests the pale Pokemon models of Gen VI will remain.

Interestingly, I feel they got the settings the wrong way round. Hawaii/Alola would match the 'cuter' look of Gen VI quite well, while the elegance of France/Kalos would be better served by the tidier and more proportional look of Gen VII.

As if the home console series (XD, etc) have replaced the handheld series, and it's not something good, in my opinion.
Doesn't some of Genius Sonority actually help with the main Pokémon games right now? Perhaps the decision to go the way they did is very slightly influenced by their previous work in Colosseum, XD and PBR?

I wasn't expecting a big change in graphics since it's the same console and they are probably using the same engine but with some improvements. There wasn't a big difference between Gen IV and Gen V either, but Gen V looked more polished, which is the feeling I get from Gen VII right now. Though I do wish they had worked on the colours a little, but I'm sure I will love it either way.

The graphics aren't that much better. It's no gen 5 to 6 I can say that.
Well, no, not the overall graphical fidelity, I mean more the decision to abandon the chibi character models as well as other visual elements we can see in the trailers. The Genius Sonority games (at least Colosseum and XD) were, up until Generation VI, the most notable 3D modelled RPGs in the Pokémon franchise. In those, the character models were - while a bit weirdly proportioned on the GameCube - definitely not chibi character models, and the trainers are seen in battle just like they are in Pokémon Sun & Moon right now.

There's definitely different feels to the old and new graphics. There was a certain cuteness to the chibi models that went really well with Pokemon, but it could look absurd in cutscenes and make the world feel too small. The new graphics are a lot cleaner and more realistic but run the risk of feeling bland.

I think I prefer the new graphics overall, just because they've tidied everything up. Unfortunately, the colours are still very washed out, which suggests the pale Pokemon models of Gen VI will remain.

Interestingly, I feel they got the settings the wrong way round. Hawaii/Alola would match the 'cuter' look of Gen VI quite well, while the elegance of France/Kalos would be better served by the tidier and more proportional look of Gen VII.

The colors are the result of the low resolution. The 3DS is 240p. Also, I wonder if this time Game Freak will include enhancements for the New 3DS. There is no reason why ORAS couldn't benefit from the New 3DS. I don't know why GF decided that it wasn't important.

Because V -> VI was a console change and VI -> VII is still the same console. What were you expecting?

I expected a Gen 4-5 shift, not just making more realistically proportioned models.

The graphical jump from VI -> VII was much greater than I -> II (GB) or IV -> V (DS) so its a bit of a weird criticism considering the improvement in overworld graphics.

The transition from Gen IV -> V didn't even result in that much of a graphical upgrade in terms of sprites (see Charizard Gen IV and V) with the exception of a small animation loop--which even led to sprites with interesting poses losing said pose in favor of the animation loops.

Not sure what Gen V had over Gen VII in terms of graphical upgrades. When old characters returned, all Gen V did was make them taller (e.g., Giovanni Gen IV and V). Essentially that's what's happened here--a move to more realistic proportions.

Gen 4 to 5 involved a more dynamic battle engine, heavier usage of 3D in the overworld and overall had a cleaner look. I was expecting gen 6 to 7 to be much less drastic in actuality, as with the 3D engine there is not much to exprct in change, especially for the battles, which turns out I was entirely wrong. I was expecting taller models and the scale to match ip with it, but I was not expecting for them to go so far as to completely remove the pseudo grid feel to the overworld, nor was I expecting them to go back to the drawing board and have the overworld increase so much in scale. And the battles like I said, when expecting little to no improvement, completely blow me away with the dhigher detailed backgrounds, along with the fact that there are bystanders and the actual trainers. So yeah, I was expecting gen 4 to 5>gen 6 to 7,but instead I got gen 6 to 7>gen 4 to 5. I love it.

Also loving the new HP bar. Its stylistic, abd much better then the generic black bars of XYORAS.

I am really liking how the battling scenes seem to be graphically in comparison to XY/ORAS... I'm glad they got rid of the circles, and I really like the idea of the "spectator" thing. I hope they have more variety with battle backgrounds, they had quite a few in XY but they were limited and sometimes only used once or twice ect, this got better in ORAS and will hopefully be 100x better in S/M.

The new HP bar also has my attention, I hope there may be some movement involved with that too. Like how in PBR it brings up the HP bar next to/underneath the Pokémon being attacked, and has more of a live-action feel to the HP bar, then goes back to the normal HP bar screen ect when selecting a move, though from the looks of the Pokenchi footage, it's staying in the same place...

The little attention-to-detail specifics of the new battling system are intriguing though, and they make up for the "lack" of graphical improvement overall from XY/ORAS, even though I have no problem either way.

Loving that new battle shot that's turned up. It's really atmospheric and hopefully there's more areas like it. It looks super cosy and I hope it feels the same outside of battle with the warm torches and tropical feel.

The graphics and that HP bar though. I am loving the detail that's going into not just those things, but also the backgrounds too going on in the footage. It does feel like they're trying to give us more diversity with how these visuals can go alongside with the people that's in them and how from XY/ORAS it doesn't feel bad and gives me more to look at and experience rather than just the battle that's ensuing.

We will eventually reach a point in wich graphics just cant be improved anymore. I ask to people who are saying that expected better graphics, exactly what would you change in gen VII graphics? It was said hp bars movement, brighter colors, but, what more?
Things that i expect to see in the games, that might werent proven to be in gen VII, but we cant say they arent:
- Animations to every trainer class, not only rivals, champions, etc.
- All trainer classes should be inside battles, not just some important characters.
- While surfing, the models of pokemon that are using surf should be seen surfing in overworld.
- In the water, all non flying pokemon, as well as trainers, should be seen swiming or riding a swiming pokemon.
- Pokemon should have especific animations for every move . EX: if Litten uses scratch on popplio, we should see it running and scratching popplio with claws, not just moving its paw to make three stripes apear before foe. If its using iron tail, it will hit foe with tail, if using bite, it will atually run to foe and bite, like it would do in the anime.

After all these topics are acomplished, graphics wont be able to be improved anymore.

- Animations to every trainer class, not only rivals, champions, etc.
I hope not--I actually liked the use of the official artwork since we now have proper images for all trainer classes. I don't see why we need a pre-battle animation for them when they'll be animated throughout the battle anyway.

I said animations to every trainer class, not animation before battle for every trainer class. It would be really strange if we saw their official artwork just standing without moving behind the pokemon, while the pokemon itself is moving.
Well, from my wishlist for graphics improvement, many are already acomplished:
- Pokemon with colours of the oficial artwork( they werent in RBY)
- Pokemon are recognizable in the backwards sprite( they werent in RBY)
- Realistic water and fire moves. Back in GSC, water gun was just some drops, ember was a bunch of volcano badges , and flamethrower, even more volcano badges. Rain looked like a bunch of ashes. In RSE, these fire moves were still volcano badges. It changed in DP.
- You can see your whole pokemon back, not just part of it.
- You can see the scenario, not just the pokemon in a white screen. It began to appear in RSE, was greatly improved in XYORAS, and is even better now in Sun/moon, without circles and with trainers.
- Pokemon close eyes while sleeping
- Pokemon moving while atacking, being attacked or being defeated( began in gen VI, althoug should improve. I dont want to see a pokemon biting without even moving its mouth. Also, the oposing pokemon should actually be bitten, not just hit with teeth ).

- Pokemon should have especific animations for every move . EX: if Litten uses scratch on popplio, we should see it running and scratching popplio with claws, not just moving its paw to make three stripes apear before foe. If its using iron tail, it will hit foe with tail, if using bite, it will atually run to foe and bite, like it would do in the anime.
I really doubt that this will happen, 'cause doing so would mean creating at least over half a dozen unique animations for well over 700 different models. Sounds like a whole lotta work that GF wouldn't bother with.

I like the idea for the animated moves and I was always thinking why we still don't get something like this. I know that it requires very much work, but it will be a real improvement on the game.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom