• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gym puzzles easy?

Maybe not Ocarina-Hard, but Phantom Hourglass-Hard would be acceptable. Making us think outside the box.

Zelda-aside, yeah, they could use a step-up, it would be more challenging, and therefore fun.

Last edited:
I think some are rather easy, but there are some that take some time. Blackthorn, Mosdeep (RS), Fortree, Lavaridge, Ecruteak, and Saffron can be pretty challenging.

Pokemon isn't a puzzle based game... so no. Think about the little kids that are playing it. If the gyms were more difficult then they would probably spend hours trying to get through it just so they could fight the leader.

I like that they require a bit of thought, but they shouldn't be extremely hard or cryptic. The only ones I really have a problem with are the ones where it's basically just a guessing game, like Sabrina's gym in R/B/Y where you're basically just have to guess which series of teleport pads will take you to Sabrina, or perhaps there is a pattern, but I just don't see it. Either way, I'd rather just have the gym puzzles be limited mostly to pushing things out of the way or pressing switches and things like that.

Maybe not Ocarina-Hard, but Phantom Hourglass-Hard would be acceptable. Making us think outside the box.

Zelda-aside, yeah, they could use a step-up, it would be more challenging, and therefore fun.

Are you joking? OoT's puzzles are much too easy. Now OoT Master Quest difficulty or Skyward Sword difficulty is what I'm talking about. I'd love to see gym puzzles like that. One of the main reasons I love Zelda is the dungeons and their awesome puzzles.

Are you joking? OoT's puzzles are much too easy. Now OoT Master Quest difficulty or Skyward Sword difficulty is what I'm talking about. I'd love to see gym puzzles like that. One of the main reasons I love Zelda is the dungeons and their awesome puzzles.

I was actually talking about the Master Quest revisions, but I forgot to mention, thank you.

The puzzles have always been easy. Wallace/Juan and Candice's puzzles were the really tough ones.

I was actually talking about the Master Quest revisions, but I forgot to mention, thank you.

Oh, well, I still think OoT Master Quest difficulty or Skyward Sword difficulty is the way to go. I'd love to see cave/mountain/dungeon puzzles like this too.

I like them the way they are. It's satisfying to solve the fairly easy puzzles and gym trainers as a warm-up for the Gym Leader, which should be the main challenge.

Gym puzzles.....if the puzzles were hard then, there would be no point for the trainers. Trainers count as a challenge getting to the gym leader. If the puzzles were hard then, they would count as a challenge getting there. I think the puzzles should stay the way they are.

I think they don't have to be too easy, but if you're going to make them difficult, definitely do not go the Lt. Surge route and make the player poke through 15 barrels just to find a randomly placed switch. That's not difficulty, that's just frustration.

Fine as they are. They don't need to be more challenging, because it's not the main focus of the Gym.

Sadly, yeah. They've got a hell of a lot more creative, but it just doesn't feel as hard. But like X-Strike said, that's not the main focus of the gym, so it doesn't really matter.

When you think about it, Pokémon games are just so much more fucking easier these days, they're hardly the same as before. A good Poké fan knows this is true :/

When you think about it, Pokémon games are just so much more fucking easier these days, they're hardly the same as before. A good Poké fan knows this is true :/

The reason they're easier is because we're older and understand it now. It took me until Gen V to learn about the difference between Special and Physical Attack. We know what pokemon to use and what moves to use.

The reason they're easier is because we're older and understand it now. It took me until Gen V to learn about the difference between Special and Physical Attack. We know what pokemon to use and what moves to use.

What I meant was if you give someone a copy of Red version, and another guy a copy of Black 2. I guarantee you the first guy will struggle, ragequit, and take longer than the second guy. It's not that we understand them, it's just they've gradually been decreasing in difficulty.

What I meant was if you give someone a copy of Red version, and another guy a copy of Black 2. I guarantee you the first guy will struggle, ragequit, and take longer than the second guy. It's not that we understand them, it's just they've gradually been decreasing in difficulty.

I don't know. If they are new, they could equally struggle. I still have a hard time defeating Ghetsis in Pokemon White, though it also took me a long time to beat the Elite 4 in Red.

I don't know. If they are new, they could equally struggle. I still have a hard time defeating Ghetsis in Pokemon White, though it also took me a long time to beat the Elite 4 in Red.

Yes, they both will struggle, but I said the first one will likely do it more than the second because the newer ones explain everything and seem to forget to put in a skip feature for the experienced players. This is a thread about gym puzzles though, so I don't wanna go off topic, but I'm just gonna end by saying that yes, we could be used to it because we're more experienced, but you'd be blind to admit that the games don't get easier the later the generation.

It's no secret that the puzzles in BW were a joke. All of them were completely linear. THere was no puzzle. There was literally only one path you could ever take and it always lead you on correctly. I don't know about BW2 but I'd like harder Gym Puzzles. Something needs to be difficult in Pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom