• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How likely are new Megas

Blue_Cheshire

Reaction score
Haven't been on the forums in a while since SM kinda burned me out a bit.
But anyway, the one question my head immediately jumped to when I saw the announcement of USUM was new Mega evolutions. Now, this is nothing special, since mega evolution is probably my favourite feature pokemon has introduced in quite some time, and I personally was really disappointed that no new megas were added in SM in favour of the z-moves (which were imo not even close to being as cool as megas).
Now onto the topic I want to discuss in this thread: How likely are new Megas in your opinions? And what megas would you love to see?

My opinion is, as you can possibly imagine, that I would absolutely LOVE to have new megas, moreso than new Alolan forms or z-moves (although I wouldn't have anything against a fair mixture of Alolan forms and Megas). I really think the chances are there, since they probably are going to add quite a bit of new stuff to make the games more appealing to people who already played SM and they probably had more time to work on this kind of new content, since the base they're working on is (a modified version of) the same world as in SM.
Long story short: Please GameFreak, give us new megas, I would hate it if such a cool concept were abandoned after only one gen.
As for the Megas I'd like to see: Johto starters woukd make a lot of sense, since Kanto and Hoenn got them and it would work well as a tie-in with GS on virtual console. But I would be excited for all new Megas (as long as there not all from Kanto or Hoenn ;D).

Tbh, if GF wanted to bring back Megas they would. Junichi Masuda stated "that the reason Megas are on the sideline because they wanted to focus on Z-moves, and he said Megas might return in the future fully improved." But We still don't anything on Z-moves, we need to learn the lore of Z-Crystals, does the Z-ring does more than just unleash powerful moves, maybe the change forms (Z-Forms). But who knows, I wouldn't mind having new megas, but it still going to be in the sideline, unless megas would be a main thing along with Z-moves, maybe we'll get something like why megas and z-moves can't link to each other, but that would be a total overkill.

I think it's very unlikely, I doubt they're done focusing on Z-Moves after just one game, and I don't think we'll get Z-Moves and new Megas cause they would risk overshadowing Z-Moves.

tbh the fact that they were 'replaced' by a new feature that powers up already existing Pokémon after just one gen gives me the feeling Megas are a Gen VI thing only, I doubt any more are going to be introduced at all.

Suffice to say that USUM are very unlikely to be those hypothetical games.
I would like to see more in Z-Ring than just Z-moves. I don't know if we're getting new ones or not. Especially since people are speculating that we're getting New megas for Johto Starters because of VC of GS. Maybe we'll get that or a new forms, because I doubt it'll be exclusive Z-moves.

I think it's very unlikely, I doubt they're done focusing on Z-Moves after just one game, and I don't think we'll get Z-Moves and new Megas cause they would risk overshadowing Z-Moves.

tbh the fact that they were 'replaced' by a new feature that powers up already existing Pokémon after just one gen gives me the feeling Megas are a Gen VI thing only, I doubt any more are going to be introduced at all.

Expect Z-Moves to take a backseat in Gen VIII in favour of a new gimmick.

I think we are definitely getting something new if they want to keep up after ORAS. Tbh, the only reason that I bothered to purchase ORAS at all was because of the new Mega that they were adding that made it feels like there are new Pokemon in those games without actually adding the number of entries in the national dex. However, I do think that Masuda and Oomori strongly hinted that Megas are over. Well, the existing one would keep on existing, but I highly doubt about new ones.

I think TCP and GF need to find some sort of way to fit Z-moves and Megas in the story instead of making one mechanic a major and the other a sideline, but I don't think they'll do that because we already know about megas, but not much on Z-moves.

I think TCP and GF need to find some sort of way to fit Z-moves and Megas in the story instead of making one mechanic a major and the other a sideline, but I don't think they'll do that because we already know about megas, but not much on Z-moves.
I think the title says it all. Z-power comes from "ultra" wormholes. The games are called "ultra" Sun and Moon. They'll probably expand more on the origin of Z-moves or if it's like ORAS, they would give an alternate explanation all together and they can use the "it's a parallel world" excuse.

I see them adding some more... Pseudo-Megas? Yeah, that's what I'm calling it now, just coined it.
And by that, I mean the Ash-Greninja and Complete form Zygarde. Forms that are basically Mega Evolution, but are not by name.
I'd love for them to change the Mega mechanics for that, too. As in, to Mega Evolve, you need to do something more than just press a button, like having to defeat another Pokémon before transforming.

I think they'd still want us to get used to Z moves in Gen 7 in general, so I think the quickest we'll see new megas will be in Gen 8.

I see them adding some more... Pseudo-Megas? Yeah, that's what I'm calling it now, just coined it.
And by that, I mean the Ash-Greninja and Complete form Zygarde. Forms that are basically Mega Evolution, but are not by name.
I'd love for them to change the Mega mechanics for that, too. As in, to Mega Evolve, you need to do something more than just press a button, like having to defeat another Pokémon before transforming.
I like that, but I would want something different than +100 bst. I would like to see + >100 bst for lower BST mons and < 100 bst for higher bst mons.

Hypothetically, if they're going to hammer in the multiverse theory, it's possible that they'll write them off as "Mega evolution only happens in Kalos. Rarely doe it ever happen outside PokéEurope." And the remakes are in their own little timeline which explains the new megas in ORAS.

So it's highly unlikely we'll get more.

Not even that, as ORAS never hinted at Mega Evolution being a global thing. So there is no problem with either SM or USUM being in the same universe as ORAS.

this gen? No. I'm not really that upset, even though I like megas. As far as new forms for old pokemon goes, I find regional variants to be a more interesting concept. Most of them so far are better than their vanilla forms, too.

I think new megas are definitely possible for like gen VIII or gen IX. I wouldn't bet money on it, but I wouldn't be surprised, either. It might even be more likely than new regional variants being added outside of gen VII, as those have more reason to be restricted to certain kinds of regions, namely islands.
please no

I actually think its a 50/50 chance for the following reasons.

• First off, the lore established Mega Evolution as a dangerous force (unsurprising considering the source was a weapon of mass destruction), and requires resources that don't seem to be found in Alola (You get the Keystone from Sino and Dexia, who are from Kalos, the Starters from Red who is from Kanto, the Battle Tree, which likely imported them and Mystery Gift, which is always of dubious canonicy. Rayquayza's special case is a non issue since there are no native specimens)
    • What this means is that GF can introduce new mages without as much as paying lip service to the mechanic, even locking it to the post game if they want. It also makes them equally as likely to not introduce new megas because the native and exclusive species there would not been exposed to Infinity energy enough to adapt, and even the groups of pokemon that can Mega Evolve are likely to have some difficulty getting used to it like their Kalosian and Hoennese peers.
  • In the event that they do want to bring up Mega Evolution, the potential for conflict would be there given the cultural perception of the mechanic in Alola. As such there is potential for sidequests revolving around this (Pokemon needs more sidestories especially during the main campaign) and possibly potential relationship Ancient Alola and Kalos has (unlikely, the backstories of the regions tend to be self contained), even explaining why Megas aeem to eb a Thing in the Battle tree.
  • Colress is a wild card when it comes to tempering with Pokemon. And he already appeared in Alola mentioning both Megas and Z moves outright. He likewise also has a precedence for Fusing pokemon. I'm not gonna claim that Ultra Sogaleo/Lunala are Megas (because that's ridiculous) but I am not gonna discard the possibility that he might had experimented on other pokemon and creating new megas for them.
  • At the same time. I must stress that the resources needed for Mega Evolution are not naturally found in Alola, which means that they have to be obtained externally, likewise I must further elaborate on the associated point, that pokemon adapted to use Mega Evolution. Of the new pokemon introduced with Alola, none of them can mega Evolve because the Key and Megastoens aren't found there, but there is another factor. Mega Evolution relies on something called Infinity Energy, but another force has been put into play in Alola, the Ultra Wormhole. It might be possible that the wormhole's energy would had done something the the pokemons lifeforce that made isolated species incomparable with Mega Evolution. (Of note the Totem Pokemon shown are Gumshoos/A-Ratticate, Wishiwashi, Salazzle, Lurantis, Vikavolt, Mimikyu and Kommo-O, 7 of 8 were species currently exclusive to Alola and the last was one a subspecies that evolved in Alola, none of them are pokemon found in other regions in their current state), I'm willing to claim that the Ultra Wormhole might be used as justification for the lack of new megas, that the Ultra Beast's repeated visits rendered the region incomparable with the mechanics behind Mega evolving.
  • They could play the AU card...and set it in a simeline simialr to where BW2 left off. No Kalos war, No Weapon, No Megas, and likewise would have the Mega stones be traded (very unlikely, but possible)
Regardless if they do add new Megas, I can see them adding maybe 5 at the most, considering that they would still want to focus on Regional variants and especially Z moves.

Speaking of which, Is these some speculation about new forms for Lycanroc and Mimikyu based on PGL data?

I actually think its a 50/50 chance for the following reasons.

• First off, the lore established Mega Evolution as a dangerous force (unsurprising considering the source was a weapon of mass destruction), and requires resources that don't seem to be found in Alola (You get the Keystone from Sino and Dexia, who are from Kalos, the Starters from Red who is from Kanto, the Battle Tree, which likely imported them and Mystery Gift, which is always of dubious canonicy. Rayquayza's special case is a non issue since there are no native specimens)
    • What this means is that GF can introduce new mages without as much as paying lip service to the mechanic, even locking it to the post game if they want. It also makes them equally as likely to not introduce new megas because the native and exclusive species there would not been exposed to Infinity energy enough to adapt, and even the groups of pokemon that can Mega Evolve are likely to have some difficulty getting used to it like their Kalosian and Hoennese peers.
  • In the event that they do want to bring up Mega Evolution, the potential for conflict would be there given the cultural perception of the mechanic in Alola. As such there is potential for sidequests revolving around this (Pokemon needs more sidestories especially during the main campaign) and possibly potential relationship Ancient Alola and Kalos has (unlikely, the backstories of the regions tend to be self contained), even explaining why Megas aeem to eb a Thing in the Battle tree.
  • Colress is a wild card when it comes to tempering with Pokemon. And he already appeared in Alola mentioning both Megas and Z moves outright. He likewise also has a precedence for Fusing pokemon. I'm not gonna claim that Ultra Sogaleo/Lunala are Megas (because that's ridiculous) but I am not gonna discard the possibility that he might had experimented on other pokemon and creating new megas for them.
  • At the same time. I must stress that the resources needed for Mega Evolution are not naturally found in Alola, which means that they have to be obtained externally, likewise I must further elaborate on the associated point, that pokemon adapted to use Mega Evolution. Of the new pokemon introduced with Alola, none of them can mega Evolve because the Key and Megastoens aren't found there, but there is another factor. Mega Evolution relies on something called Infinity Energy, but another force has been put into play in Alola, the Ultra Wormhole. It might be possible that the wormhole's energy would had done something the the pokemons lifeforce that made isolated species incomparable with Mega Evolution. (Of note the Totem Pokemon shown are Gumshoos/A-Ratticate, Wishiwashi, Salazzle, Lurantis, Vikavolt, Mimikyu and Kommo-O, 7 of 8 were species currently exclusive to Alola and the last was one a subspecies that evolved in Alola, none of them are pokemon found in other regions in their current state), I'm willing to claim that the Ultra Wormhole might be used as justification for the lack of new megas, that the Ultra Beast's repeated visits rendered the region incomparable with the mechanics behind Mega evolving.
  • They could play the AU card...and set it in a simeline simialr to where BW2 left off. No Kalos war, No Weapon, No Megas, and likewise would have the Mega stones be traded (very unlikely, but possible)
Regardless if they do add new Megas, I can see them adding maybe 5 at the most, considering that they would still want to focus on Regional variants and especially Z moves.

Speaking of which, Is these some speculation about new forms for Lycanroc and Mimikyu based on PGL data?
That's one hell of theory you came up with :)

If megas are not found in Alola, why don't we Kalos to learn even further about Megas, because Mega Stones are hard to find in Alola anyway.

As for Z-moves, I want to explore the Lore of Z-power, maybe Z-Power had something to do with the Ultra Wormhole, I want to see if Z-Power do more than just unleashing powerful moves, maybe change forms while performing a Z-moves.

I'd say there's probably at least an 85% chance that there won't be any new Megas until Gen 8 at the earliest.

And although I agree that introducing more unique Z-Moves would do nothing to make many terrible Pokémon viable competitively speaking, that does not stop Game Freak from pretending that they would. :p

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom