• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How much "emotional investment" do you put in the anime?

Wow loads of explanation in this thread about what people think on the anime lol.

Well I do feel quite a bit about the anime, not so much now adays because for me the anime was kind of destroyed at the end of season 8.

I used to love the characters when it was Ash, Misty and Brock. I liked Misty because of her extreme emotional range when she goes in a bad mood and then pretends to be sweet. Brock I have always quite liked because he is sometimes very insightful and deep but all that goes out the window when he meets a girl. Dawn I really liked a lot more so that May simply because May was kind of flat and altogether I hated Max. Paul is kinda cool if a bit of a brute with his Pokemon. I really liked Gary in the earlier episodes when he made a fool of Ash. I miss him nto being in the show as much.

I kind of hate the whole PUSA taking over thing (no this is not a rant and that is all being said) but for me the episodes stopped being good after season 8 alhough I did like Diamond and Pearl.

The music I think is one of the things that I loved was the musicI hated Advanced quite a bit but I liked the original a lot as well as the Johto ones. I hated Battle Dimension though because the music just hurts my ears.

The Pokemon that really do stir me a little though are defo his older ones like Pikachu and the Kanto ones. I did however get a little misty when Arbok and Wheezing left the show. The same for Jesse's dustox.

Good idea for a thread....

I have a good deal of emotional investment in the anime. Though I am now a high school student, I have watched the anime since season 1 (though I had lost interest after Master Quest and then resumed interest during Battle Frontier).

For me, Pokemon conjures up a great deal of nostalgia-not just from enjoying the show as a young boy, but also the related memories I have with it (like sleeping over with friends and watching Pokemon etc...) I remember when my whole life was centered around Pokemon: the games, the cards, the figurines, and mainly the show. I grew very attached to the characters, the plot, and the music. The release of the 2BA Master CD added an even stronger element to my obsession. Whenever I listen to those tracks, I get VERY nostalgic. Anyone else???

At this point, I mainly watch the show just for the background music. I know this is sounds strange. I am a film music student and like to compose background music (for home videos and photo montages etc.) on my keyboard using orchestra sounds. Since I am a musician, my main emotional attachment to Pokemon rests in the music. I really miss the 4Kids BGM, but the PUSA BGM has gotten a little better. The Japanese BGM is timeless of course, but the dub BGM brings in another element to the show.

To give an example of my emotional attachment through music, I have a clear memory of the very first Pokemon episode and the BGM that was used. It is the BGM that I am the most attached to. For instance, the Spearow Chase music, and the meditative Vibes melody that plays as Caterpie and Pikachu talk under the full moon.

I won't do to much of a comparison to the newer episodes- since that is not the purpose of this thread. However, I will say that I get very emotionally attached to episodes like "Crossing Paths" where Jessie releases Dustox. The music a phenomenal in that episode and there was a lot of focus on Jessie's character. Also, any episode that occurs at night seems to capture me more emotionally...for instance "Cream of the Croagunk Crop" as well as "Crossing Paths." One thing in the new episodes that detracts from the nostalgia factor is that everything is computerized instead of hand drawn...not sure why, but somehow it makes everything seem less deep (emotionally).

Well, I've talked a lot- but when one asks for one's emotional opinion, expect an emotional answer :)

Dude, I think your memories are tinted with rose-colored nostalgia, if you think the anime has gotten in any way "worse" than it was when you were young.

Yeah, it's not that it's gotten "worse" perse, it just hasn't developed. Different.

Yeah, it's not that it's gotten "worse" perse, it just hasn't developed. Different.

Now, that's going farther than I intended to. It has changed some, developed a bit...bringing in May and Max along with Drew, Harley, et al changed the structure of the relationships of the main group and introduced the whole Contest-Side-of-the-Force to the show...Dawn's era with different rivals (and no younger brother) gave it a different slant, though DP's main difference remains embodied in Paul and Hunter J, a rival and a villain who both push the boundaries of what we expect in Pokemon...yet they have not made the show "un-Pokemon" in any way, just added a level of intensity that previously we only saw in the movies (as with Mewtwo, Vicious, etc.) to the regular weekly episodes.

So no, I wouldn't say Pokemon hasn't developed at all. But to me the overall quality seems consistent.

And (to steer this back closer to topic) I think this is the secret of Pokemon's attraction, why it invites people to put an emotional investment in it. It's a trend I've noticed in most of my OWN fandoms: the quality of slightly-above-average overall, which combines basically competant handling marked by occasional moments of true brilliance and occasional moments of moderate suckage creates a show that is good enough to pull you in AND bad enough to make you want to "fix" things about it or add to it in some way.

The pull-you-in quality gets you hooked...the imperfections get you MORE hooked, as paradoxical as that might seem. But imperfections are like an invitation for fan activity - there are missing scenes to be written, justifications to be discovered, missing backstories to be imagined, inconsistencies to be smoothed over, and deeper levels to be explored. We can praise, criticize, elaborate on, analyze to death, pick apart for detail, gloss over for uniformity and scan over the length of the show for the long perspective that creates a coherent timeline. There is literally no end to what we can do to "add to" a show that is good, but not perfect.

Whereas great shows and movies have much smaller bases of fan activity (how much fan fiction have you read for the Carl Sagan movie Contact? I doubt much, because it was complete within itself and left nothing unfinished or unsatisfied; it is brilliant but that very brilliance makes it whole, with far fewer chinks and gaps into which fannish imagination can insert itself).

Just my (well, mostly one of my roommate's, but I totally buy it) little theory there.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom