• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How to Fix the Grass Type

Why not make Sunny Day for Grass types and a new move, Humidity, where the temperature rises, for Fire types?
Humidity and Sunny Day would give Fire and Grass types their own weather. Because Sunny Day, right now, doesn't really help Grass types much due to so many Fire Blasts on so many different Pokemon.

Personally, I don't understand this "Humidity" idea at all. Humidity is the moistness (#water) in the air. Fire thrives best in dry air. It's much harder for fire to burn in humid weather. So this whole Humidity being a Fire boosting weather makes zero sense. Plus, humidity itself doesn't make the weather any warmer. It just feels that way to humans because dry air helps our skin "breathe" and drys sweat better to cool us off, so humidity cuts that off.

It's funny then that the two Pokemon, Solgaleo and Solrock, closely linked to the Sun aren't Fire-type. :p

On a technical level, the Sun (and stars in general) aren't actually fire (hence my wording), they are actually big balls of burning plasma. But the Sun has seen a close linked to Fire because for all practical purposes, it looks life fire, acts somewhat like fire and can burn your flesh to a puddle of goo like fire.

And as a counterpoint, Groudon's Ability (which summons sunlight) is the reason why Primal Groudon is Fire-type. and while Ho-Oh and Lugia's ties to it are more tenuous, they do seem to have some solar and Lunar connotations (and Ho-oh is Fire-type for reference).

Solgaleo's typing is more a reference of the star's metal core and possibly an indicator that as pseudo-ultra beasts, the pokemon isn't closely tied to the Sun in a way most other Legendaries are tied to their concepts. Solrock is more a bizarre case of having to share an equally not quite indicative typing with Lunatone (it almost makes me wonder if they were created with Liza and Tate in mind but I digress).

Personally, I don't understand this "Humidity" idea at all. Humidity is the moistness (#water) in the air. Fire thrives best in dry air. It's much harder for fire to burn in humid weather. So this whole Humidity being a Fire boosting weather makes zero sense. Plus, humidity itself doesn't make the weather any warmer. It just feels that way to humans because dry air helps our skin "breathe" and drys sweat better to cool us off, so humidity cuts that off.
I'll call it Rising Temperature then. But the point that I'm trying to make is that Fire and Grass should have their own weather.

On a technical level, the Sun (and stars in general) aren't actually fire (hence my wording), they are actually big balls of burning plasma. But the Sun has seen a close linked to Fire because for all practical purposes, it looks life fire, acts somewhat like fire and can burn your flesh to a puddle of goo like fire.

And as a counterpoint, Groudon's Ability (which summons sunlight) is the reason why Primal Groudon is Fire-type. and while Ho-Oh and Lugia's ties to it are more tenuous, they do seem to have some solar and Lunar connotations (and Ho-oh is Fire-type for reference).

Solgaleo's typing is more a reference of the star's metal core and possibly an indicator that as pseudo-ultra beasts, the pokemon isn't closely tied to the Sun in a way most other Legendaries are tied to their concepts. Solrock is more a bizarre case of having to share an equally not quite indicative typing with Lunatone (it almost makes me wonder if they were created with Liza and Tate in mind but I digress).
Excellent points made. I just want Grass types to thrive in the Sun and not be burned alive.

I'd say make it super effective against electric and resistant to Rock. That would go a long way.

This isn't a big change, but perhaps Grass could be strong against Electric.

Pretty sure the Sunny Day=Fire thing is just cuz sunlight's hot. Pokemon like Solrock and Solgaleo are associated with the sun symbolically (Solgaleo isn't actually connected to the sun at all, and Solrock is from space) rather than with their powers. (Plus, Groudon's also associated with the sun, and it's Fire-type when it primal evolves)

I definitely agree that we could use a weather semi-overhaul. Sun powers up Fire-types and weakens their weakness, rain powers up Water-types but only weakens a type they resist, and Grass-types just get a smidge with sun while making themselves weaker. I don't think humidity works for Fire-types, though-when it's humid, there's more water in the air. That's...not really great for Fire-types.

EDIT: Oh, heck, missed page two and posted this way late.

I agree we definitely need a weather overhaul. Personally, I think Sunny Day should become the weather for Grass types, as some have suggested. Water types (and arguably Electric types bc Thunder) already have rain. Leaving the creation of a third weather condition to be the new Fire type booster.

Though... it is hard to think of an actual weather condition that could successfully distinguish itself... Fire gains power with dry air and high temperatures. But...unfortunately that sounds a lot like Sunny Day. It would basically be Sunny Day and Drought. This could work, but they may not have enough contrast between them. I'm not sure. Perhaps Humidity could go to Grass types? Plants thrive in sunlight, but plants also thrive in very humid air. So maybe leave Fire types with Sunny Day (or rename it to Drought), give Grass types Humidity (or give them Sunny Day while Fire takes the new "Drought"), and Water is as it is.

One thing I thought is essentially give Grass benefits under both sun and rain: They increase Special Defense or something in rain, like rock types in sand, and... either increase Special Attack a little in the sun, or simply sun boosts the power of both Fire and Grass moves.
Sandstorm after all does work for three types. No reason a type can't benefit from two weathers that aren't specifically its own.

Either way, regardless of specific effects essentially Grass would have watering for defense, sunlight for offense.

Aside from removing Flying being SE on Grass (which I don't understand but whatever) as I've been saying for like 10 years, Grass NEED to get Ground type moves as part of their movepools. In the same way Water types get Ice types moves as a default, Grass should have Ground moves by default since I don't know... Grass grows from the ground? This would help alleviate its weakness to Fire, Poison, that pesky Steel type that walls it bad, would give it a niche as Electric check, since it already resists it.

Also as it was mentioned before, having a better interaction with Fairy would help, IDK resisting Fairy or something. Fairy moves should also become more widespread among Grass types, a good number of them already get them but it helps having something to counter Fight, Dark and especially Dragons.
Also a better relationship with Rain would improve them, since Sunny Day is kind of a double edged sword...

TLDR; Grass type's options for coverage are extremely limited and having access to Ground and Fairy type moves would help it.

Aside Ground moves being as omnipresent as Water has Ice moves, and how many Grass types really could have had Fairy coverage, I'd just like to see more variety in general. Grass types tend to be extremely narrow in type coverage, in contrast to most pokemon of other types, I feel their movepools could be just a little more lenient. There's hardly any surprise of "huh, that pokemon can learn this", while everything else spams fire blast and blizzard left and right.
Even Normal moves aren't very common in Grass types.

Still, it really should have type chart changes anyways. Being resisted by 7 types and weak to 5 is just completely ridiculous.
One of its interactions with Flying to be neutral seems the most straightforward, though not both.
A resistance to Fairy would do wonders and turn it into a key defensive type. It'd oddly make Poison even more relevant offensively, but I'm not going to complain for that. Especially with so many Grass/Poison types.
And I personally just want Grass offense to be... useable. As mentioned, they love to give them exclusively Grass-typed movepools, including many Grass attacks... that end up not very useful in practice. I'm not sure what to change, though. Ideally remove a resistance and add an effectiveness?

Tangentially, one thing I'd also do is have Electric Super Effective on Steel. This would give Electric more of a presence, so the resistance to it and the Ground effectiveness would be more important.
I really wouldn't make Grass SE to Electric. That doesn't make much sense and we generally want Electric types (which aren't precisely OP either) to be used. It almost sounds like a nerf disguised as a buff.

Last edited:
I totally feel your pain. Out of all the starter sets, 4/7 times my favorite has been the Grass-type (Venusaur, Sceptile, Torterra, and Decidueye).

The other major problem is that one of the type's biggest strengths, against Water-types, is effectively nullified because most Water-types can learn Ice-type moves. Which is why I agree that they should have made Grass resist Fairy, as it'd make sense based on the idea of Fairy being a new type inteded to balance the metagam, and would fit in with the idea that fairies traditionally live in the woods, so Grass-types should be well aware of their tricks.

And as an Environmental Sciences major, I have to say one thing - Abomasnow's 4x weakness to Fire has always REALLY bugged me even if the logic behind each individual type's weakness to Fire makes sense in theory. The risk of wildfires is greatest in the summer because leaves and wood dry out and thus ignite more easily (Have you ever tried to start a fire with damp kindling?). But in the Pokemon world, I guess the snow somehow acts as an accelerant or something.

Have you ever tried to start a fire with damp kindling?
This was exactly what I was thinking with raising Sp. Def in rain. The weakness to fire turns effectively into a semi-resistance because damp wood doesn't burn well at all.
Not like rain helps Abomasnow much though...

Last edited:
And as an Environmental Sciences major, I have to say one thing - Abomasnow's 4x weakness to Fire has always REALLY bugged me even if the logic behind each individual type's weakness to Fire makes sense in theory. The risk of wildfires is greatest in the summer because leaves and wood dry out and thus ignite more easily (Have you ever tried to start a fire with damp kindling?). But in the Pokemon world, I guess the snow somehow acts as an accelerant or something.

Abomasnow could really use a new ability that decreases its weaknesses. Like, an ability called "snowy shield" that reduces the power of Fire type moves used against Abomasnow by like 75% (which would make them 1x effective instead of 4x). Or something similar to that (maybe my version is too much, and the Fire moves should merely be reduced to a 1.5x power).

- a grass/electric, grass/rock and grass /steel starter (waited for those 6 generations, hope next 5 may show those)
the grass/steel would need better stats like water/ground did. maybe 535 total stats? ( assasin puma 71/88/88/89/88/111, or maybe rhino 71/115/90/89/90/80 or gorilla 89/89/89/89/89/89)
Plus it would need some things to fight with ground and fight and maybe it shoud get really Powder.

- some grass pokemon should learn "Powder"

- a grass type with ability to be immune to flying type moves (grass/ghost- maybe mega cacturne or a scare crow)
- a grass type with immunity against bug type moves (venus fly trap motive)
- more grass pokemon that could resist or be immune to their weaknesses
(Gourgeist should have got Flash Fire ability if it has spirit powers and a candle inside, hope it gets a mega)
- a grass type pokemon with ability that would heal when hit by poison type moves and when beeing poisoned.

- a grass/fire type pokemon (something cactus based or orangutan, bush or something)
- better and faster grass/ice pokemon special oriented (maybe a starter)

- a grass type move thats supper effective to bug types? (Meganium and all venus fly trapo based pokemon)

-a stikcky , glue or amber based move to trap and make the foe flinch

- more switching, flinching and priority moves for grass types(of this and other types)
-more differse type based moves against pokemon that resist grass
(Decidueye lacks dragon and some moves)

- a grass/dragon based on rose dragon? (with Multiscale or new ability)

- grass pokemon would need better abilities

- Leaf Guard would need a real buff like half also the damage from moves that inflict status ailments or work like Sturdy during sun?

- abilities like Grass Pelt would need also react to weather to, not only terrains.

- Chlorophyl should also activate for one-2 turn if user gets hit by solar beam or sun, light, beam or blast based move. (that createsmore light)

Abomasnow could really use a new ability that decreases its weaknesses. Like, an ability called "snowy shield" that reduces the power of Fire type moves used against Abomasnow by like 75% (which would make them 1x effective instead of 4x). Or something similar to that (maybe my version is too much, and the Fire moves should merely be reduced to a 1.5x power).
maybe for mega abomasnow? aboma has snow warning and sound proof(could come in handy if we get a sound fire type move).
It should learn that move called Aurora Veil on the other hand you need to use a other ice type to make a combo.

Last edited:
No need to fix it. The whole meta game is filled with Mega Venusaurs and Iron Barb Ferrothorns holding Rocky Helmets.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom