• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How Would You Call People Who Live In Unova?

What do you like better?

• Unovan

Votes: 46 43.0%
  • Unovian

Votes: 56 52.3%
  • Something else (please post)

Votes: 5 4.7%

• Total voters
Unovan. It makes the most sense. That extra "i" in "Unovian" doesn't seem like it should be there.

It does add an extra syllable, and languages tend towards simplicity, so I suppose that's why Unovan sounds better.

We don't call people from Mexico "Mexicians" right? Unovan sounds fine.

I'd call them Unovans. If the region were called "Unovia" instead, then perhaps my opinion would be different.

Unovian,but I think Isshu is less stupid than UNova ¬¬

Heh, Isshuians! Now that sounds fun to say!

Anyway!

When I first read the title to this thread I thought "Unovians".
Good thing that was one of the choices on the poll, or I'd still be wondering what the heck to call them!

Unovan. Since the region is called Unova and not Unovia, common rules of speech would dictate that it would be "Unovan." Then again, the English language breaks its own rules on a regular basis, so it's not a very good argument...

Note, this is coming from a person who is still in the habit of pronouncing the name "you-NO-vah" rather than the "official" pronunciation.

Unovian, makes me think of Canada lol! I think of Unova as north of Kanto like how Canda is north of USA

Er, how `bout the Unovited? Combination of Unova and united? I dunno, I think it sounds cool and unique. :-D

Unovers, because the region is purportedly based on New York City, and people from New York call themselves New Yorkers.

... in all seriousness, Unovans is the most intuitive-sounding.

ETA:

Canada's a weird anomaly.

We Canadians call ourselves as such because people from Toronto call themselves Torontonians, and Toronto is the centre of Canada (and the universe).

Last edited:
We Canadians call ourselves as such because people from Toronto call themselves Torontonians, and Toronto is the centre of Canada (and the universe).
But not North America. That'd be the town of Rugby, North Dakota. ;)

For some reason my mind deviates towards Unovite....that sounds better to me than Unovan, but to each his own I suppose.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom