• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How would you feel if Goh Fully Evolved all 3 of his Starters?

Are you okay with Goh having Cinderace, Inteleon, AND Rillaboom?

• I'm cool with it! A nice change of pace from the norm!

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • No way! Goh has done nothing to deserve 3 Fully evolved Starters!

Votes: 27 38.6%
  • I'm completely indifferent to be honest.

Votes: 28 40.0%

• Total voters
Never said anything about looking at him in a vacuum. Some people are just very reductive when it comes to looking at him as a character and tend to ignore things he actually does to earn or explain how he accomplishes certain things.
Except when it comes to these explanations, it comes down to offscreen development, which is inexcusable especially when a character is both a protagonist and the one they choose to shine the spotlight on the most. This is a show-don’t-tell medium and nothing major should be conveniently done offscreen. As for people being reductive, that tends to be what ends up happening when the same kinds of issues are constantly occurring without either fixing them or even so much as being deemed issues in the first place. The audience aren’t paid to sing their praises of a product and if there’s an issue that perpetuates, they’re going to speak out about it.

I'm not that into evolution myself, as I would prefer Sobble to its evolutions. But I don't have any problems with giving all three evolved formes to Gou.

Except when it comes to these explanations, it comes down to offscreen development, which is inexcusable especially when a character is both a protagonist and the one they choose to shine the spotlight on the most. This is a show-don’t-tell medium and nothing major should be conveniently done offscreen. As for people being reductive, that tends to be what ends up happening when the same kinds of issues are constantly occurring without either fixing them or even so much as being deemed issues in the first place. The audience aren’t paid to sing their praises of a product and if there’s an issue that perpetuates, they’re going to speak out about it.
Replying here.

I'd be fine with it. Sobble was adorable but I'm warming up to its evolutions now thanks to the anime, so I'm okay with it evolving all the way. Grookey on the other hand... I sure hope I can like it evolved over time, but right now I just don't think Go having a Rillaboom will be that cute or cool. D: So I'd prefer it stay as is haha.

Drizzile, the Eating Contest, a bunch of his captures, seeing Zapdos, evolving Scyther...plenty more I don’t really feel like listing. But yeah, at least plenty more than people give him credit for.

1. Sobble had one episode of focus before evolving-and it is said that it apparently has been doing training off-screen-in what way was Goh putting in effort for that?
2. I'm just going to take your word about the Eating Contest one
3. A "bunch of his captures" were caught by him throwing the Poke-ball ONE TIME and rarely did we ever see him actually battle and make an actual effort to capture a pokemon. Majority of his captures are caught rather easily and with minimal effort.
4. How was seeing Zapdos putting in effort...?
5. I'll agree on the Scyther point

That being said, if Goh fully evolved all three of his starters, I'd just be genuinely confused. Like, they're fully evolved now-how and why? No effort, and again, what purpose would they have fully evolved? The only time we see fully evolved pokemon in the pokemon world is generally battling pokemon(most of the time) and it just feels weird for them to be fully evolved and...do what? I'm still confused as to what then?

1. Sobble had one episode of focus before evolving-and it is said that it apparently has been doing training off-screen-in what way was Goh putting in effort for that?
2. I'm just going to take your word about the Eating Contest one
3. A "bunch of his captures" were caught by him throwing the Poke-ball ONE TIME and rarely did we ever see him actually battle and make an actual effort to capture a pokemon. Majority of his captures are caught rather easily and with minimal effort.
4. How was seeing Zapdos putting in effort...?
5. I'll agree on the Scyther point
Respectfully, the post you quoted is 5 days old at this point. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but I’ve already had a whole conversation about it that I don’t really care to rehash. You can read it here.

Largely indifferent, but I'd rather Grookey stay unevolved. I really don't care if Go "deserves" to have any of his Pokemon (as long as they aren't legendaries) based on some metric that doesn't apply to him, but evolved Pokemon tend to lose their personalities. I've lost interest in Cinderace.

I want to see his Raichu above all, and Scizor and Absol are cooler battlers than the Galar starters.

I'd be cool with it because we don't always get to see all three starters evolve, but at the end of the day I'm pretty indifferent to it. Like if Sobble and Grookey only evolve to their second stages, or Grookey doesn't evolve at all, it really doesn't bother me. I've never been a huge proponent of "they need to catch this Pokémon" or "this Pokémon needs to evolve" so I never really care one way or the other on either front, lol.

I'm both indifferent to all of Goh's starters fully evolving and fairly skeptical that it'll happen. It's clear as day that Inteleon is an inevitability at this point, but Grookey might very well remain at that stage for a number of reasons:
  1. Grookey the most popular stage of its line, unlike how Inteleon and Cinderace are the most popular stages of theirs, so there's more incentive from a marketing standpoint to keep it as is.
  2. Grookey is clearly intended as a comic relief mon to an extent that neither Sobble nor Scorbunny were, and those practically never evolve, or at least they don't d so while the series they're major characters in are still ongoing.
  3. Ever since Piplup was introduced there has always been at least one cutesy out-of-ball companion Pokemon for Ash's friends, and with Cinderace already having fully evolved and Drizzile clearly heading the same way, then that'd leave Grookey as the sole option for Goh's designated shoulder warmer (yes, you could argue that with Goh having so many Pokemon literally any of his smaller/cuter captures could fill this role, but it's pretty obvious that the Galar starters are going to be the only permanent members of Goh's "team", so I don't think any of the non-Galar starter mons are even on the equation).
Also, one of the arguments in favor is that all fully evolved Galar starters would be on the main cast, but I personally find it to be a bit weak because if wanting a given Generation's fully evolved starters to be prominently showcased was a real concern, then we would have gotten fully evolved starter trios from the very beginning, and to date that's never happened even in cases where the starters were evenly distributed among main characters, something that would have theoretically made such a feat much easier to accomplish, so it would be kind of a stretch if that pattern was to be broken with a character who isn't even much of a battler. You could say that this makes it unfair for Rillaboom fans, but marketing and/or the writers have been playing favorites with the starters from day 1, so it's not like this would be any different from, say, the way Typhlosion was handled for example. And besides, Rillaboom could still show up in a major role in some other way, such as under Hop's ownership or something. If that is indeed the case, though, let's hope they don't do to Rillaboom what they did to Decidueye and we'll be golden.

Grookey is clearly intended as a comic relief mon to an extent that neither Sobble nor Scorbunny were, and those practically never evolve, or at least they don't do so while the series they're major characters in are still ongoing.
Idk I'd argue Scorbunny was pretty much a comic relief Pokémon in it's Base Stage. It was used for slapstick (amusing injuries) and had a very similar personality to Piplup even.

Sobble also had the crying gag which many compared to Rowlet's Sleeping gag
Only difference in Sobble's case I don't recall it being used for slapstick moments (I don't even think it ever even got the "Swirly Eyes" most Pokémon get whenever they got injured)

If that is indeed the case, though, let's hope they don't do to Rillaboom what they did to Decidueye and we'll be golden.
Agree on this tho.

Nobody deserves to be treated how Decidueye was...

Agree on this tho.

Nobody deserves to be treated how Decidueye was...
To this day, I still don’t get what they were doing with Decidueye. While it wasn’t as popular as Rowlet, it was still a pretty popular Alola Pokémon yet all the writers did was turn it into a punching bag. It was the only Alola starter to never even be seen getting a win.

Goh - Doesn't put in effort, his starters fully evolve

Ash - Put in effort, his starters don't evolve

Me: Ash, all this time you have been doing it wrong. You shouldn't have used them, then they would have went fully.
You can blame marketing for that. Sobble and Scorbunny would've evolved regardless of whoever they went to.

They could've went to Chloe and they still would've evolved lol.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom