• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If Pikachu WASN'T the mascot of the series, which Pokemon do you think could be the mascot?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Just a curious question I've had for a little while now. It's quite simple. If Pikachu wasn't the mascot of Pokemon, which Pokemon do you think could fit the bill in its place? The reason I ask is because I've seen many mixed feelings about Pikachu throughout my tenure in the franchise. There are those who are fine with it, some who are neutral, and those who loath it. So I'm curious to know what Pokemon do you guys and gals think could've been the mascot of the series if Pikachu didn't become so iconic?

For me, it'd generally be a tie between Charizard and Eevee. Charizard, especially over the years, has become very iconic and many consider it a "prime example" of a true Mon. It does clearly embody the "perfect" battler, especially since it gained 2 Mega Evos and considerable airtime in the series. And who doesn't want to train a massive, fire-breathing dragon-like creature (I know I do). Sure, I know that its iconic status has become somewhat over-saturated and many have become annoyed with it (I blame Alain for this, thanks to his stupidly powerful M-Charizard X tainting the XY series), but you can't argue with the fact that Charizard has gotten plenty of well-earned fame over the years. It has been a prime battler ever since Day 1, and it can still hold its own nowadays. Plus, again, it's a fire-breathing dragon (or close enough), which I'm sure many kids wanted to train ever since the early days. So I can see Charizard being a prime candidate for mascot status if Pika didn't get the role.

As for Eevee, its status is largely thanks to its multi-element and multi-generation evolutions. Even when it just had 3 evos in the early days, they still proved to be a force to be reckoned with. Not to mention Eevee is a cute little critter, perfect for the cuteness appeal for mascot status. And, again, thanks to its multiple evos, it can basically adapt to any situation that it needs to, something that RL creatures need to have in order to survive. And on another fact, Eevee is a Normal-type, meaning it's like a blank slate, giving it a lot of flexibility, something that Normal-types are well known for. So with those factors in mind, Eevee could've made a good mascot for the series as well.

Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Pikachu. If anything, I'm generally neutral on him, but it does have its charms, so that keeps it out of the negative territory for me. Besides, compared to other yellow mascots, he's far from the worst (I'm looking at you, Suezo of Monster Rancher, as Mocchi would've made a better mascot than YOU! Though I would've preferred Pixie... er... pretend I didn't say that...) But since I've seen generally a lot of mixed feelings about Pika, I wanted to know what you opinions are on who should've gained mascot status of Pokemon if Pika didn't get it. Discuss.

But Lucario was already a mascot of Gen IV....

To me, Eevee is probably the only other one that could fit the role of a series mascot.

I'd probably go with Eevee. I mean, it's super popular, and it has a cute and simple design that is appealing to most people.
I agree. Additionally, Eevee's versatility when evolving is a major asset, or, if they wanted to go the same route as Ash's Pikachu and never have Eevee evolve, that would be fine, too.

Fun Fact : Clefairy was considered to reign as game mascots before Pikachu takes away the crown.

For my favorite, I prefer Mew though. It's freakin' mythical and I love it overall.

I think Eevee's a good choice, since the main trainer could have a collection of Eeveelutions plus one Eevee.

Another suggestion is to have each gen's starters (all 3) as the mascot. Since you are meant to travel with them.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom