• Please check out our recent thread on handling different opinions and toxic behavior here.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

If someone said Pokemon is childish, what will be your reaction?

The Ultimate Trainer!!!
Reaction score
As the title implies, what will be your reaction if someone says that Pokemon is childish to you?

To me, it depends on who says it. If its some random stranger, maybe I'll get mad a little and try to find a reason to fight back. If its a friend, I'll just use this sentence: "For Pete's sake, someone 20 years older than me still plays Pokemon." If its one of my family, I'll just stay quiet.

remember me
Reaction score
No matter who said it to me I wouldn't particularly care. Any fan can admit that the series is generally childish, being marketed toward children and everything. That doesn't mean people outside that target demographic can't enjoy and find fulfilling ways to experience it however.

oh my
Reaction score
I'm a child at heart, so I couldn't disagree with them.

is back for 2014
Reaction score
I won't be annoyed by that, because Pokémon are my "secret hobby", and I never told anyone about that. Childlish is Pokémon franchise's typical properties, which enables it targeting at young players. However, it's not completely childlish as some parts have a "dark-side", like in Pocket Monsters Special manga.

Reaction score
I tell them that I technically am a child, so it's ok. Also, I tell him/her to each his own.

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
I would tell them that they're wrong and that if they're so concerned, why not focus on something more "mature"?

Unregistered User
Reaction score
I would thank them for pointing out the obvious, and passive-aggressively suggest they return to their own mature hobbies.

The Pokemon Observer
Reaction score
I do admit Pokemon as a whole give almost everyone a childish feeling, so I don't mind what people said. In any case, I already get used to and being sick and tired to argue with all the real world people saying such things about Pokemon, so I don't even care. I'm interested in Pokemon, but that is a secret shares between only my family members and people on the internet that didn't even know my true identity.

However, if someone ridicules me about my interest of Pokemon, I will definitely retort, because that someone is attacking me personally.

Raspberry Pi user.
Reaction score
I get it almost every day. I just say thatyeah, that is why 100s of people who are like 20-40 years old do playthroughs of it on youtube. That is why there are large forums dedicated to pokemon, I mean yeah. A 7 year old can really set up PHP or V bulliten and have their own domain and server set up that can be access world wide without a single error or spelling mistake.

The fact that things like Liberation, Antimatter, Origin of Existence and Law are involved just proves even further that it is not solely directed at kids. You have percentages of shinies, IVs, EVs, advanced breeding. These physics are not in any way solely intended for a five year old.

Reaction score
I'd be like, "truth be told it is, it captured my imagination as a child and I still love it, though I'm hoping for it to change and be more enjoyable for adults."

East Unova Resident
Reaction score
That would be kind of like walking into a butcher shop and screaming "butchers kill lambs!"

Reaction score
Well pokemon is not childish, I mean look at all of the teenagers or adults going on these forums to discuss it.

#UnovaConfirmed
Reaction score
I just roll my eyes and say, "Oh yeah, and blowing a hole in someone's head is sooooooooo mature..."

Lovely
Reaction score
I don't even bother to try explaining because they're not even tying to listen to me anyways. It's a waste of time and energy, and as long as they don't do anything directly to hurt my feelings, I'm fine.

Formerly known as Tsu
Reaction score
*sighs*

*walks away*

That's pretty much it, lol.

Amphibious Friend
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I've had this conversation with a 13 year old before...

Basically my argument was that while the franchise is mainly marketed to a younger crowd, small children don't understand the complex battle system and other features of the game. So they have content for an older audience as well, meaning it's not just a "kid's game."