• Saph continues his journey through Galar...or does he? Watch here to see if he ever realizes he hasn't taken down the Starting Soon screen.
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters! Click here to check out the event and sign up!

In Which Generation Did You Start Playing Pokémon, and what was your first game?

In Which Generation Did You Start Playing Pokémon?

• Total voters
Reaction score
First game was Blue, and my starter was Bulbasaur, I believe because it was called 'easy to raise' (and my favourite colour is green :ksmile:). Only in subsequent playthroughs would I come to appreciate exactly how much frustration I saved myself at the hands of Misty's Starmie... seriously, that thing was almost like the Whitney's Miltank of RBY.

Eventually I ended up buying both Red and Yellow as well, though. Yellow became my next main game after Blue when it was released, and Red was kinda a dump cartridge. Y'know, one that I just put random unloved Pokémon in, and one that I restarted multiple times for TMs and PP UPs. I was a freak about legitimacy, and I didn't own an AR or GameShark either. Mostly I just didn't want to screw up my Hall of Fame, but when a friend I had offered to allow me to catch a Mew, I found out that it did the same thing anyway. I also had Stadium, and we battled on there a lot. I less than three Dodrio Tower, it made grinding so much easier. Incidentally, I found out that if you beat the Elite Four enough times, if you have only used AR or seen Missingno (I never caught it), you can unglitch it.

The same friend brought me back Silver from his holiday in the US, a full 6 months before it was released in the UK! Hey, when you're young and already emulating the Japanese version of Gold, and fervently reading on Serebii, 6 months is a big deal. Especially when Gen II was such a colossal improvement over Gen I in almost every way.

Since then, though, I only emulated each new release in each new Gen out of curiosity, and I haven't played B/W yet. Except now I'm kind of making up for lost time - I got myself a GBA and Emerald so I could trade with the XD I picked up, and my DS Lite and copy of Platinum should be arriving within the week. Works out well for me, as all things going as planned I'll be staying away from home for a few nights due to work. Perfect excuse to break it in :p

I will burn my dread!
Reaction score
It's a bit confusing, my story (everything about me is confusing :p). My first game system was an old Nintendo 64 that I got in 2003. Included were, among other games, Pokemon Stadium and Pokemon Snap. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Generation III was released in North America in 2003, probably after I got the N64. My first main series games, however, came with a GameBoy Color my mom got at a garage sale in 2004. The GameBoy came with Silver, Gold, and Yellow. This was surely after Generation III came to North America, as I specifically remember kids at my school playing Sapphire and Ruby. The game I picked up and played first out of that bunch was Silver.

So yeah, I was introduced in Generation III, but my first games were Generation I, and my first main series game was Generation II. So I voted for Generation II. :ksmile:

Space Wizard/ Dark Sorceress
Reaction score
Sapphire was the first game I owned. Though I did play Red for a while.

Reaction score
First game was either Yellow or Crystal cant remember but I only knew about the games because I was searching Pokemon online when I was little, cuz i love/d the anime

reappears in winter
Reaction score
Wow. I am somewhat of a n00b. I got my first game (HeartGold) earlier this year. I had wanted SoulSilver, but I was quickly pacified when I found out they weren't all that different anyway. I got Black when it came out, and Platinum about a month ago. Since then, I have received (mainly from one specific friend, which I am not sure has an account here or not) Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, and FireRed.

I get hooked fast, don't I?

Reaction score
My first game was pokemon Blue, I started with bulbasaur because I thought it looked cool. I never beat the game until many years later when I got pokemon Pearl and finally understood what the game was about.And now looking back upon it I am so glad I started with bulbasaur because Misty's starmie was like 5 levels bigger which would have sucked if I had charmander.

Reaction score
Started in 1 with Blue/Red (don't remember now... 11 years ago) Then yellow then Gold... skipped everything up until Platinum, rewind to Diamond, SS, HG, rewind to Emerald, White, Black in that order.

Reaction score
My first game was Diamond.

No nostalgia excuses for me. D;

Last edited:
Always Works
Reaction score
Blue, with a Squirtle.

I remember going to Toys R Us on the game's launch day to get my copy of Blue, excitedly jumping around when the guy FINALLY put out those little coupons you'd have to buy and redeem at that magical 'back room' where they kept all the games...

...damn, I'm old.

Patron Saint of Nightmares
Reaction score
Yellow I think it was, I'm not 100% sure though cause I have a bad memory. :p

Reaction score
Gen I. Blue. Bulbasaur.

Such a superb game as a child, back when it was the pinnacle of GameBoy Games. That alongside TOS anime... magic.