• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is anyone disappointed about the lack of evolutions to old Pokémon?

Should there have been evolutions to old Pokémon in Gen VII?

• Yes

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • I think so but don't care too much

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I don't think so but don't care too much

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters

Shiny Staraptor

needs a new avatar
Reaction score
I haven't gotten Sun or Moon yet, only played the demo, but I didn't really care about spoilers this time around, so I looked at the whole new Pokedex. There are some really interesting ones, like Pyukumuku, which I think of as a Shuckle with better stat distribution.

I can't help but be disappointed, though, at the lack of evolutions to old Pokemon, like Dunsparce or Seviper, or even ones that have one evolution like Buizel. To be fair, the last two generations have been disappointing with this as well, but because of that I was hoping it'd be different this time around. So what do you think?

After the "quality" of some of the evos from Diamond and Pearl, we might be better off solely with new Pokemon.
I thought some like Roserade were actually pretty great. I would like to see more evolutions for older Pokemon, because there are some that not only deserve it, but could use it due to how weak some are.

After the "quality" of some of the evos from Diamond and Pearl, we might be better off solely with new Pokemon.

I'm probably one of the few who think they're all great, haha.

But yeah, I'd love to see more cross-gen evolutions. It's fun seeing older Pokemon given the opportunity to reach new potentials, and even if Mega Evolution does that too, it's only temporary. I want to see more permanent, actual evolutions (even pre-evolutions to be quite honest).

What do you mean? All the evolutions introduce in DP were incredible. Great designs and usable for battles.

I miss them so much, and it's sad that they've seemingly been forgotten. Megas and Alola forms are new ways to revitalize old Pokemon and make them more relevant, but I feel they can often do more with evolutions. And frankly, some Pokemon would benefit way more from an evo than a Mega or a variation, like Audino.

Unfortunately, it looks like it'll be something Game Freak has moved away from. Which is a shame, because cross-gen evos were some of my favorite Pokemon designs.

I'm not disappointed about not having any new evolutions of older Pokemon this generation because I didn't really expect to see any. Other than Gen V for the past couple generations Gamefreak has been expanding on older Pokemon in one way or another. Gen IV had a load of evolutions, Gen VI had Mega Evolution, and now Gen VII has introduced regional variants. So since we already had one method of old Pokemon expansion introduced to us during the promotion of the game I wasn't really expecting Gamefreak to use another one.

I'm not convinced that we won't see them again eventually. I certainly didn't expect them to re-use any of the new evolution methods from DP, and yet here we are, with Salazzle, Tsareena, Crabominable, and Vikavolt.

I was just about to post this. For every Gallade we also have a Tangrowth.

If that's what we can expect, then I'd rather that they not.

You know what would be neat though? If they took this time to retcon some mega evolutions into actual evolutions. Mega Houndoom and Medicham would work a lot better as evolutions to Houndy and Medi rather than Megas. Basically, if it's a one or two stage Pokémon, retcon the mega into a regular evo. Two stage mons and legendaries can stay Megas.

Last edited:
I thought some like Roserade were actually pretty great. I would like to see more evolutions for older Pokemon, because there are some that not only deserve it, but could use it due to how weak some are.
Some, not all. I love Roserade, Gallade, Weavile and Gliscor, for example. There are others I like like Froslass, Electivire and the new Eevees... But Gen IV also gave us Lickilicky.

I was just about to post this. For every Gallade we also have a Tangrowth.

If that's what we can expect, then I'd rather that they not.

Tangrowth is a wonderful viny mess, those long arms are pure beaut.

But seriously, I'd rather have that than Alolan Meowth/Persian or the whole Alolan Geodude line.

Weavile, Ambipom, Mismagius, Honchkrow, Gliscor, Gallade, Togekiss, Magnezone, Porygon-Z, Mamoswine, Froslass,

Yeah, point proven. Most of them were great. Just because Electivire and Magmortar were crap, doesn't mean you get to generalize every Gen IV evolution of older Pokemon.

Weavile, Ambipom, Mismagius, Honchkrow, Gliscor, Gallade, Togekiss, Magnezone, Porygon-Z, Mamoswine, Froslass,

Yeah, point proven. Most of them were great. Just because Electivire and Magmortar were crap, doesn't mean you get to generalize every Gen IV evolution of older Pokemon.
Actually, given that that's their opinion, that's exactly what they get to do.

Actually, given that that's their opinion, that's exactly what they get to do.

The fact is these Pokémon either are still good or were good when they were released. You can't have an opinion that contradicts a fact. That's called being false.

The only one I don't like is probopass, and that's more because of how it stalls my E4 grinding with sturdy than anything else.

The fact is these Pokémon either are still good or were good when they were released. You can't have an opinion that contradicts a fact. That's called being false.
Except that something being 'good' or 'bad' is by definition an opinion and therefore cannot be fact. Claiming otherwise is, as you say, false.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom