• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is cloning wrong?

Erm, just what us RNG abusing?

RNG (Random Number Generator) Abuse is manipulating the game so that it will produce values that are favorable to the player (High IV's, Perfect Hidden Powers, correct Nature...) using the way that the RNG works in the game. I think there are websites out there that'll explain the concept better.

Oh, but just to tell you, it's really NOT EASY. I mean, how are you supposed to "start your game at 1/60 second precision??? Not to mention the fact that if you want to do it without a cheating device (which would lose half the point) you need to have found a shiny pokemon without breeding or Pokeradar. Anybody who can perform such superhuman feats and also has such Super Luck probably deserves those RNG-abused Pokemon.

I prefer not to have clones, as I see cloning no different from AR. I'd never clone, it can mess up your save. And cloners are greedy people who need to have everything.

I prefer not to have clones, as I see cloning no different from AR. I'd never clone, it can mess up your save. And cloners are greedy people who need to have everything.

Emerald cloning has no chance of messing up your game.

RNG (Random Number Generator) Abuse is manipulating the game so that it will produce values that are favorable to the player (High IV's, Perfect Hidden Powers, correct Nature...) using the way that the RNG works in the game. I think there are websites out there that'll explain the concept better.

Oh, but just to tell you, it's really NOT EASY. I mean, how are you supposed to "start your game at 1/60 second precision??? Not to mention the fact that if you want to do it without a cheating device (which would lose half the point) you need to have found a shiny pokemon without breeding or Pokeradar. Anybody who can perform such superhuman feats and also has such Super Luck probably deserves those RNG-abused Pokemon.

Thanks you two for clearing that up for meh.

The only cloning that I think is acceptable is using the Emerald Cloning glitch and then using Pal Park to put the clones on the DS games.

I have no issue with cloning... except from this GTS cloning glitch I heard about. That's too risky based on what I've been told. D:

I wouldnt do the GTS cloning glitch, but I think its perfectly acceptable. The grey area starts with Classic Ribbon pokemon such as Arceus,the Movie Celebi/Crown beasts, for that, you've got to use an AR thats where the ethics thing starts.

For me, im not against using an AR to get the previously mentioned Pokemon, especially since they are one use only for getting Zoroark/Zorua. The easiest way around that is to clone a bunch using your AR, and then transfer away. However you dont have to do this as Zoroark is breedable. It is clear that GF did this because they didnt like people getting unlimited Sinjoh legends through trading Arceus back and forth and starting a new game, and this makes them less tradable after they've been used, and this kinda defeats one of the purposes of pokemon, trading.

However not everyone is fortunate enough to get to an event. Im sure many people in japan didnt like having to pay for the Crown dogs and Celebi. Its fine with me if you luckily have these 4 pokemon, clone away, but its common courtesy to inform people that they are cloned if you decide to trade them, with or without AR.

I wouldnt do the GTS cloning glitch, but I think its perfectly acceptable. The grey area starts with Classic Ribbon pokemon such as Arceus,the Movie Celebi/Crown beasts, for that, you've got to use an AR thats where the ethics thing starts.

How is it more ethical to clone whit an AR than a glitch?

Well my point still stands, what the fuck is the ethical difference?

I wouldn't think there is one in reality. You may be completely opposed to third party devices, and thus accept the limitations of GTS cloning, but as far as the clones themselves it's all the same deal.

I think that if it exists in the game, then it's OK, but I don't think using an external device is ethical. Once you start using external devices, it starts to take away the point of playing. Glitches are just as much parts of the code as the Box trick, the Fuego trick and the Repel trick, being creative with the game's code.

Anyway, I don't do the glitches until I have finished enough if the game. By that, I mean using tweaking to skip gameplay is something I wouldn't do, because it takes the fun out of it.
I have only ever cloned in Emerald, which I did mainly so that I could keep one copy on Generation III and on Generation IV.

Some people were complaining about having legit Shinies devalued by clones, but did anyone think about what happened to Shiny Gyarados? I had a legit Shiny Gyarados from before HGSS, which dropped to almost abysmal value after the games' release (not that I would ever trade it anyway). Besides, as long as the original was legit, the person went to just as much trouble as you to get it.

In conclusion, cloning via glitches is in the games, so is still ethical.

Well my point still stands, what the fuck is the ethical difference?

ea sports: it's in the game (& all that jazz)

using external devices is generally considered more unethical than using in game techniques such as glitches & RNG - both unethical but to a different degree

but i suspect you knew that & was just trying pick out Pokenerd15 (& failed by misreading his post) :rolleyes:

there's a thread on general ethics & that's where this debate lies - i concur that for the purpose of this thread there is no difference ethically as the debate is more about whether cloning in general is ethical

however...

i would never accept a pokemon that was knowingly cloned via AR in a trade - whereas i would accept other clones

wow so cloning is a risky but is not very rewarding

hmmm i wonder if in black and white something would had happend

did you notice the gts oficial page is shut down

it is replaced by some trade center of b & w

Last edited by a moderator:
STOP MAKING MULTIPLE POSTS! WE HAVE AN EDIT BUTTON!

Anyhoo, I don't clone, and I don't care if anyone else does it. Although, other people cloning makes it easier for me to get my hands on uber legends :p

Here's how I see it.

Needs cheating device: Wrong
Doesn't need cheating device but you use one anyway: Wrong
Doesn't need cheating device and you don't use a cheating device: Right

Now, based on that scale, I'll go through some of the more popular cloning methods.

Using the GTS's cloning method: Right
Using Emerald's Battle Tower cloning method: Right
Cloning with an Action Replay: Wrong

It's all in how it's done.

With a mustache.

Well i got a few clones myself, It never bugged my saved game. I really wanted to fill up my pokedex. Living in canada, we do not get event pokemons. I mean clone pokemon`s are what it is. a way to achieve your personal goal in my opinion. It take nothing away from the owner and it helps others to fill up thier pokedex.

well, I guess it's ok... I clone my Eevee so I could have all its evolutions... but if you, like, use it for competitions, I no longer think it's ok... :loopy:

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom