• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN053: Catch the Legend!? Find the Guardian of Water - Suicune!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were caught temporarily with the intent to release them back to their home worlds via the Ultra Wormholes. Eternatus was caught permanently, so that is a big difference. I'm just still not sure if we should count that given that it was required of them to do that in order to resolve the Darkest Day arc.

In that case, so was Lapras. It was caught with the intend to release it back into its herd once they found it.
Same thing applies for Goodra.
However, those 2 are still marked as official captures. So your argument already falls flat based on those 2 incidents.
You can make the argument that every released mon was a temporary capture, since the writers intended from the start to release them anyways, so that means they aren't official either in that argument then.

Unless Goh uses Eternatus with the intent on recreating the Darkest Day or some other reason that still endangers innocent people for his own benefit
Hasn’t it been made incredibly clear that unleashing Eternatus itself never does anything good? They wouldn’t have sealed a poor Pokémon if it wasn’t the absolute last resort. Magnolia resorting to that makes a pretty strong point.

I’m usually not one of those people comparing Gou to villains. I don’t do that every day. But Eternatus and Mew are two things I’ll make exceptions on. There’s an unhealthy obsession on Mew going on which is totally irrational and that part of his goal has had zero rational development.
Trying to confine a Pokémon who’s entire point of existence is being a free spirit never sat well with me. Be it Gou or any other person. I can’t help but naturally come to such conclusions. His other Pokémon are in a better, although iffy situation. It is said that they’re happy, but they backtracked so much on already long established lore that I’m not exactly delighted to see it.

Gou doesn’t even have Eternatus' Pokeball on him, isn’t it in Magnolia's lab? I’m pretty sure he'll run into issues if he goes there and demands Eternatus to be unsealed for his use. Bulbapedia says it’s an underground safe, which makes it even more implausible to me that Gou can claim ownership.

On watching the actual episode, they literally couldn’t have made it clearer the Pokeball was just a means of confinement for Eternatus and Gou gave it up after capture. It was clearly meant to convey that in a way text summaries can’t quite capture (pun not intended).

Last edited:
Nobody's denying the capture, but Gou forfeit ownership of Eternatus. It belongs to him as much as Pikachu belongs to Professor Oak.

I doubt anyone would claim ownership of it now, but if they did it would be the people actually looking after it, either Leon or Magnolia.

Last edited:
Nobody's denying the capture, but Gou forfeit ownership of Eternatus. It belongs to him as much as Pikachu belongs to Professor Oak.

I doubt anyone would claim ownership of it now, but if they did it would be the people actually looking after it, either Leon or Magnolia.

Maybe they can make the Sordward and Shielbert storyline in the anime around re-capturing and re-releasing Eternatus.

In that case, so was Lapras. It was caught with the intend to release it back into its herd once they found it.
Same thing applies for Goodra.
However, those 2 are still marked as official captures. So your argument already falls flat based on those 2 incidents.
You can make the argument that every released mon was a temporary capture, since the writers intended from the start to release them anyways, so that means they aren't official either in that argument then.

Wouldn't those captures still be different because Ash had them for long periods of time, used them in battle and got Goodra back for the Kalos League? Most of the Ultra Beasts were never used in battle and were instantly released once they got to an Ultra Wormhole. I'm also pretty sure that Ash didn't capture Goomy with the intent to send it back to its wetlands.

Hasn’t it been made incredibly clear that unleashing Eternatus itself never does anything good? They wouldn’t have sealed a poor Pokémon if it wasn’t the absolute last resort. Magnolia resorting to that makes a pretty strong point.

I’m usually not one of those people comparing Gou to villains. I don’t do that every day. But Eternatus and Mew are two things I’ll make exceptions on. There’s an unhealthy obsession on Mew going on which is totally irrational and that part of his goal has had zero rational development.
Trying to confine a Pokémon who’s entire point of existence is being a free spirit never sat well with me. Be it Gou or any other person. I can’t help but naturally come to such conclusions. His other Pokémon are in a better, although iffy situation. It is said that they’re happy, but they backtracked so much on already long established lore that I’m not exactly delighted to see it.

Gou doesn’t even have Eternatus' Pokeball on him, isn’t it in Magnolia's lab? I’m pretty sure he'll run into issues if he goes there and demands Eternatus to be unsealed for his use. Bulbapedia says it’s an underground safe, which makes it even more implausible to me that Gou can claim ownership.

On watching the actual episode, they literally couldn’t have made it clearer the Pokeball was just a means of confinement for Eternatus and Gou gave it up after capture. It was clearly meant to convey that in a way text summaries can’t quite capture (pun not intended).

Based on what I've seen thus far, I don't think his goal of catching Mew is an unhealthy obsession. I can understand not liking the goal given that Mew is a free spirit, but I don't think that puts a negative light on Goh just because he wants to capture it. I wasn't aware that Goh had effectively given up ownership of Eternatus though. I thought that the Pokeball was still somewhere where he could at least potentially gain access to it. This does make it more unlikely for Eternatus to come back and those were already pretty small odds to begin with.

Based on what I've seen thus far, I don't think his goal of catching Mew is an unhealthy obsession. I can understand not liking the goal given that Mew is a free spirit, but I don't think that puts a negative light on Goh just because he wants to capture it.
One question probably makes it clear: "Why does Gou want Mew? Why does Gou want to go to any possible length to capture it?"
We don’t have a reason for it, other than the fact that he spotted it in his introduction episode. It’s a helluva obsession even if it’s healthy. And that’s not even considering the true nature of Mew is to be free and it clearly doesn’t want to be captured.

Eternatus will definitely be unsealed one day. Magnolia hinted at it herself. When that happens Goh should be able to command Eternatus himself and calm it

One question probably makes it clear: "Why does Gou want Mew? Why does Gou want to go to any possible length to capture it?"
We don’t have a reason for it, other than the fact that he spotted it in his introduction episode. It’s a helluva obsession even if it’s healthy. And that’s not even considering the true nature of Mew is to be free and it clearly doesn’t want to be captured.

Why wouldn't Goh want Mew? It's an extremely rare mythical Pokemon with the genes of every Pokemon, not to mention Goh first saw it destroy a Nidoking.
We know Goh's Pokemon are some level of substitute for friends to him from the Celebi episode, + he wants to learn more about Pokemon by "catching" and spending time with them.
Mew is just the most mysterious and interesting. I don't see the negative connotation.

Plus just because Mew is a free spirit doesn't necessarily mean it hates the idea of being captured, and even if it did, it could change its mind like Gengar.

Why Would Eternatus Listen To Goh. I’m Pretty Sure Eternatus Hates Him

What makes you think Eternatus hates him?

Plus just because Mew is a free spirit doesn't necessarily mean it hates the idea of being captured, and even if it did, it could change its mind like Gengar.
I don't have much of a dog in this fight, but, I think being a free spirit pretty much implies that it dislikes the idea of being captured considering that it wouldn't be as free--either restricted to the lab or restricted to wherever Goh travels. The idea of Mew suddenly changing its mind, going from enjoying its freedom to enjoying captivity, leaves a foul taste in my mouth. And, besides, if I remember correctly, Ash's Gengar wasn't exactly a "free spirit" considering it obediently waited for its trainer at the lab, not in the same manner as Mew at least.

I don't have much of a dog in this fight, but, I think being a free spirit pretty much implies that it dislikes the idea of being captured considering that it wouldn't be as free--either restricted to the lab or restricted to wherever Goh travels. The idea of Mew suddenly changing its mind, going from enjoying its freedom to enjoying captivity, leaves a foul taste in my mouth. And, besides, if I remember correctly, Ash's Gengar wasn't exactly a "free spirit" considering it obediently waited for its trainer at the lab, not in the same manner as Mew at least.

I am not saying Goh needs to catch Mew, but I don't see why people are vilifying the act.
I think we are looking at this differently. Are Ash's Pokemon in "captivity" in the classical sense of the world or are they simply bonded to him.
Does being captured mean that Mew would lose its free spirit. Charizard still disobeyed Ash, and Sobble spent the period after it's capture hiding around the lab and doing its own thing. Gengar also retains it's prankster personality after capture.
Goh isn't going to force his Pokemon to do something they are against doing, and what does Mew is a free spirit even mean?
From what we have seen in this series Mew flies around teasing people and Pokemon, that is hardly something that it wouldn't be able to do as a trainers Pokemon. Mew even seems to spend the majority of its time in vermilion city.

Mew has in the past only been portrayed as wandering around in the wild, but the fact that Mew hasn't been seen with a trainer before doesn't mean Mew doesn't want to be captured, it can still be an incredibly quirky trainer Pokemon.

Is the foul taste you mentioned about Mew "enjoying captivity", or actually about Mew having a trainer?

Mew has in the past only been portrayed as wandering around in the wild, but the fact that Mew hasn't been seen with a trainer before doesn't mean Mew doesn't want to be captured, it can still be an incredibly quirky trainer Pokemon.
If Mew is ever shown under the command of a trainer, they should be an elderly Pokemon master with years of experience. Not some random kid who started his journey less than a year ago.

Regarding Goh's wanting to catch Mew, we have to remember that he's still a child, and children often have difficulty grasping that their actions have consequences. Wanting to catch Mew is probably nothing more than a simple childish "OMG that Pokemon is so cool! I want it!" feeling, which, let's face it, we've all felt at one point in our lives and I'm pretty sure most of us still continue to feel every time a new generation with new designs comes up.

As for Eternatus, I'm not sure if Magnolia's statement will actually lead anywhere, and even if it does, it definitely won't be touched for quite a while. That said, I seriously doubt Goh's just gonna be able to command Eternatus so easily. If he could do that then there would have been no need to seal it away in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom