• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kotone's English name revealed?

Quagbert

Bulbapædist
Reaction score
Just happened to see this on Pokémon.com:
An Egg Scramble!

Dawn’s next contest is in Lilypad Town, but a festival at a nearby village makes for a convenient stop along the way. But Team Rocket has shown up at the same time to steal a prized Pokémon Egg, so the fun of the festival will have to wait! Watch as Lyra, the festival’s spokesperson, takes charge of a delicate situation!
Sounds like Lyra might be Kotone's English name. If so, I'm a little disappointed they didn't give her a more country-sounding name. Oh well.

Lyra? Kind of a weird name.

I'm surprised this is being revealed in an episode description. You'd think pokemon.com would have a special HGSS update about this.

Ehh. Why Lyra?

... Ooh, yes. The harp thing.

I like the name Lyra... last time I heard that as a name was in the English version of Ryuusei no Rockman.

Lyra?

LOLWUT?

Bell would be better, eh...

At least it's not Melody.

And not Marina, heh heh heh...

Last edited:
I like the name Lyra... last time I heard that as a name was in the English version of Ryuusei no Rockman.
*snort* Worst place to hear it. *ah, no love for the Megaman spin-off-of-a-spin-off* For me, I associate the name with Lyra Belacqua, but I think Kotone would wear it very well.

What's in a name? As long as the character is still pretty awesome and isn't given a silly voice, I don't care about the name. Even though the name is kind of nice and cutesy, yet isn't a really common name.

This is going to be difficult for me, I've gotten too used to calling Lyra, Kotone. >___<

I like Lyra, but I also like the name I predicted, Angie.

Why would she have the same dub name as the Angie from the summer school arc?

Surely PUSA knew ahead of time what Kotone's name would be, so Angie was chosen knowing that would not be the name of the HGSS protagonist. PUSA/Nintendo are closer knit than 4kids were, they know which names are off-limits for game characters.

Hmm, Lyra...I like that. For some reason I can't see Kotone as a Lyra, though, but maybe that will change once I actually hear people calling her that.

I'm way too used to calling her Kotone, though. It'll probably take me a while to start calling her Lyra. :3

Why would she have the same dub name as the Angie from the summer school arc?

Surely PUSA knew ahead of time what Kotone's name would be, so Angie was chosen knowing that would not be the name of the HGSS protagonist. PUSA/Nintendo are closer knit than 4kids were, they know which names are off-limits for game characters.
That's like saying we shouldn't have gotten a Rocket character named Lance in-game when the English version already has a Lance in-game.

Aoi/Angie debuted in English long before Kotone even existed across the sea. The hell you getting at?

Lyra?

Well... I like it. Hope that's her in-game name.

It most likely will be since the JP HG/SS called the girl Kotone if you are a boy. This will take a while for me, too. It's not a bad name, but it wasn't as out of left field as May or Dawn.

I realized something.

Since "koto ne?" means "is that right?" in Japanese (that's also what she usually says at the end of sentences), Kotone's English name should be Amirite!

Lyra, eh? Well it's not moving on BP. Not until the episode airs. Too fragile...

Now, question. Is Kotone the spokesperson of the Johto Festival? I thought she was just there with Kazunari and his dad...

And with a name like Lyra, who wants to bet Gold is now Tony?

And with a name like Lyra, who wants to bet Gold is now Tony?

I... don't get the reference. D:

[quote="Luna Tiger]*snort* Worst place to hear it. *ah, no love for the Megaman spin-off-of-a-spin-off* For me, I associate the name with Lyra Belacqua, but I think Kotone would wear it very well.[/quote]

I know Ryuusei isn't liked that much... but it had its moments and I liked it. D:

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom