• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Legendary Pokemon Discussion

The Pokemon are based off of Aether and Erebus, the Greek Primordial Deities of light and darkness. Ah you might say, but light time is the most used new type thing, and we're sick of it. But you see, Aether might be light, and the aether element might include light, but it is not light itself, but the stuff floating around Earth that includes light. The Pokemon could work as such, and it could be a very subtle curveball. Thoughts?
That's exactly the reason why Aether could fit Yveltal just as well as it could Xerneas. If anything, Yveltal has more to do with the pure upper air of the "heavens" than Xerneas does.

Groudon and Kyogre are the only (legendary) version mascots that don't share a type, and it is probably not a coincidence that they only have one type each. If a new type were introduced, I would think that it would be given to both Xerneas and Yveltal. I wouldn't be sure about Yveltal having Dark as one of its types, especially as Dark/Flying has been done twice before.

As for the legendaries' real-life origin, I am not really interested in that, if to be honest. I doubt that it will be a factor in their story, and I prefer it when Game Freak try to be original.
Hmm you are indeed correct. If Aether were to be the type that binds them, as to be honest I doubt we're going for another mon-type pair of legendaries and I doubt they would use psychic as the common type, I guess we could have Aether/Flying Yveltal with a (Steel/Grass)/Aether type Xerneas. And while it would be nice for GF to be original on the counterparts and their basis, it would make sense if Aether were ever to be a type that it would at least be based on something in Greek Mythology, in which the elements do have a tie with some mythological creatures.

And while it would be nice for GF to be original on the counterparts and their basis, it would make sense if Aether were ever to be a type that it would at least be based on something in Greek Mythology, in which the elements do have a tie with some mythological creatures.
Loosely speaking, Xerneas and Yveltal might be based on Gaia (Mother Earth) and Uranus (Father Sky), respectively. They were the parents of the first generation of Titans, who in theory could be represented by certain Pokémon (say the legendary trio), as well.

In one of the versions of Greek mythology, Gaia and Uranus were the children of Aether and Hemera. But there are many other versions, including ones where Gaia was not only Uranus' wife, but also his mother... I'd rather not speculate about that.

Last edited:
I really love the fact that you all are into the Aether-thing :) I can already see this as a new type in fact. ^^

All I want is Game Freak to limit theirselves when creating legendaries. I mean, 14 legendaries in one generation is exaggeratedly way too much. I think 5 like in Gen 1 is more than enough.

All I want is Game Freak to limit theirselves when creating legendaries. I mean, 14 legendaries in one generation is exaggeratedly way too much. I think 5 like in Gen 1 is more than enough.

There's no way they could do 5 again. 7 or 8 maybe, but not 5. We already know we've got 2 for the boxes. Probably a third to make that a trio, but not necessarily. Definitely a supporting trio along the lines of we've always gotten. And then at least 1 legendary that'll be revealed later. Not necessarily event Pokemon, because it could be dlc. Probably'll be more than one though. Hopefully not 3. I'd like as few legendaries as possible to maximize other Pokemon, but it definitely won't be only 5.

There's no way they could do 5 again. 7 or 8 maybe, but not 5. We already know we've got 2 for the boxes. Probably a third to make that a trio, but not necessarily. Definitely a supporting trio along the lines of we've always gotten. And then at least 1 legendary that'll be revealed later. Not necessarily event Pokemon, because it could be dlc. Probably'll be more than one though. Hopefully not 3. I'd like as few legendaries as possible to maximize other Pokemon, but it definitely won't be only 5.

i always assume the minimum they could do is 7. but that's highly unlikely. the two box ones and their third, a support or roaming trio, and a fairy equivalent. but then they, lately have thrown in an extra trio or pair, or BOTH, and another random single or two. but yeah im PRAYING for not so many this time. 8 is my lucky number. and an alt forme of some previous legenday i'd be ok with on top of that 8.

I'd be game for a new forme for a past legendary. When thinking about it, it seems odd that all of a sudden once Hoenn showed up a handfull of legendaries were able to change form, but the same isn't so for pokemon of the first two generations. I could have seen Lugia or Ho-oh gaining one. Integrating that into the story of HGSS wouldn't have been too difficult, but that ship has sailed. At this point in time Mewtwo seems like the obvious choice what with the genetics theme and it showing up in the upcoming film.

I have random thought on the legendary Pokemon...

Yveltal has diamonds on the back of it's wings and Xerneas has legs like swords and could be seen like the "Spades" suit; maybe this could mean there will be just two event Pokemon, with "Hearts" and "Clubs" as design themes? There are already a high number of cutsy/love/heart themed Pokemon though.

i always assume the minimum they could do is 7. but that's highly unlikely. the two box ones and their third, a support or roaming trio, and a fairy equivalent. but then they, lately have thrown in an extra trio or pair, or BOTH, and another random single or two. but yeah im PRAYING for not so many this time. 8 is my lucky number. and an alt forme of some previous legenday i'd be ok with on top of that 8.
With mascots (2) at least 2 trios (6) and the small legendary (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Shaymin, and Victini) (1), there are going to be at LEAST 9 legendaries. That's not even including the possible future mascots (Kyreum (2), Giratina, Rayquaza, Suicune (technically)).

I hope they reveal Xerneas and Yveltal's types soon. I still think they're gonna be Psychic/Electric and Dark/Flying respectively, if not a new type.

I hope they reveal Xerneas and Yveltal's types soon. I still think they're gonna be Psychic/Electric and Dark/Flying respectively, if not a new type.

I also think Yveltal is going to be Dark/Flying, but what makes you think that Xerneas is going to be Psychic/Electric? I find it interesting.

I also think Yveltal is going to be Dark/Flying, but what makes you think that Xerneas is going to be Psychic/Electric? I find it interesting.

I don't really have much of a reason. The pale yellow-ish tint Xerneas has makes me think of Electric-types and Psychic just seems fitting for it. Plus it's the exact opposite of Dark/Flying.

Yveltal is very majestic and looks like it could be of a new type. Well I don't know much about the new move sets, or (if any) new types they have. So I'll just wait and see, but I truly can't wait to find out!

For Xerneas, it might be part Ground or Steel-type. And Yveltal could be Fire/Flying-type, giving its colours and its flying in the sky.

Xnerneas I see as Grass/Steel and Yvetal is no doubt gonna be Dark/Flying. As for the 3rd Mascot not sure until we get more info and we will have the traditional region trio aside from the mascots

Xerneas is based of an Axis Deer.

This origin is NOT confirmed yet. Only thing I know is Xerneas is inspired by X-axis, X-chromosomes or neurones. The Yveltal is based off Y-axis, Y-chromosome, or myosin/muscles. If a Trio Master would happen, it could be based on the theory of zenith (something like Hydra).

Do you think the stag might turn out to be Steel/Grass type? It seems to represent the forest nature, and the shiny-ness and metallic hooves make it look like it's definitely Steel...

This is way off the wall, but...

Xerneas and Yveltal really remind me of the stag and the volcano spirit, respectively, from the 'Firebird Suite' section from Disney's 'Fantasia 2000'.

Am I the only one who sees this?

Back
Top Bottom