• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Localized Names

Re: English names

I love the new names! But I think the romanizations for Gochiruzeru and Rankurusu should've been kept. :/

Whats funny is that Pignite and Emboar were often considered nicknames for Tepig in the early days of Gen V.

I can see why they renamed Wargle. Same reason they went with LeafGreen and not WaterBlue; "War" is a kind of conflict.

Some names are excellent, such as the starter lines.

Others... like Seismitoad... could have a much more obvious and clever name (Amplitoad)

Others should have also kept their japanese names (wargle)

But you cant win everything!

As a side note, I like Chandelure

rusty, i think duosion is duo plus fusion
alomomola might be mola and a corruption of aloha
stunfisk might come from lutefisk, a food made of fish
druddigon i thought, had something to do with drudge
i got swanna. and while i didn't get the name right, id did guess shubarugo's pun

I think Druddigon is a play on 'dragon' and 'ruddy.' 'Ruddy' means having a reddish complexion. Which Druddigon clearly does.

My favorite name of the bunch is Volcarona. Also, fun fact: Back when I made fakemon, I had one named Eelektrik and one named Shelmet. Looks like Nintendo's been going through my closet. xD

So, I was skimming through the names, and I wonder what's the origin of the construction site fighters. Timburr, Gurdurr, Conkeldurr. I really can't tell. If any of you can, do share.

Gurdurr reminds me of hurr durr... :p

BTW, Makomo's English name is "Fennel"?

That's probably the one name I dislike. Fennel is a type of plant, but I have a hard time seeing it as a woman's name. It'd be fine if she was Prof. Fennel, but it seems like that's her first name.

epicraegguy.jpg

Ugh!

I'll have to get used to them sooner or later..might as well be sooner...

Hmmm... the list is supposed to have been leaked from an Italian site, right? According to Bulbanews, Italian version names aren't localized, so they should be the same english names. Are you sure about this? Some names sound too "italian" for me. Examples, Tirtouga/Carracosta (Protooga/Abagoora, the fossil turtle). Same for Larvesta/Volcaraona (Meraruba/Ulgamoth). I know often Pokémon names are taken from another languages, like Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres from spanish uno (1), dos (2) and tres (3)... but still I wouldn't be completely sure.

Hmmm... the list is supposed to have been leaked from an Italian site, right? According to Bulbanews, Italian version names aren't localized, so they should be the same english names. Are you sure about this? Some names sound too "italian" for me. Examples, Tirtouga/Carracosta (Protooga/Abagoora, the fossil turtle). Same for Larvesta/Volcaraona (Meraruba/Ulgamoth). I know often Pokémon names are taken from another languages, like Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres from spanish uno (1), dos (2) and tres (3)... but still I wouldn't be completely sure.

The Italian games get the same names as the English ones.

Also, I like how they handled Amplitoad (I can't spell it's Japanese name for my life)

The Italian games get the same names as the English ones.

Also, I like how they handled Amplitoad (I can't spell it's Japanese name for my life)

No, Amplitoad is the name that I came up with by myself.

They had to be stupid and make the real name Seismitoad

No, Amplitoad is the name that I came up with by myself.

They had to be stupid and make the real name Seismitoad

Whatever, I'm tired at the moment :V

Back
Top Bottom