• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Localized Names

Re: English names

PokéJungle also said, when asked why he took them down, "Why do you think a list would be taken down?" (Calls to mind the sprites being taken down back in September.)

Exactly. Now, if they were confirmed fake names, his answer would've been along the lines of "Because they're fake", or something to that effect.

Now, Ferroseed and Ferrothorn. Am I missing something obvious here? Cause I do not get it. Obviously, I get the "seed" and "thorn" parts.

With a mustache.

I'm guessing these to be real also, as some names have supposedly been confirmed in Nintendo Power.

These names are... bad. They just don't flow. Maybe I'll like them more in time, but... meh.

Exactly. Now, if they were confirmed fake names, his answer would've been along the lines of "Because they're fake", or something to that effect.

Now, Ferroseed and Ferrothorn. Am I missing something obvious here? Cause I do not get it. Obviously, I get the "seed" and "thorn" parts.

With a mustache.

Ferro- is from ferrous, which I believe is Latin for iron. In the Legion of Super-Heroes, there was a kid who could turn into metal who went by Ferro Lad.

Ferro- is from ferrus, which I believe is Latin for iron. In the Legion of Super-Heroes, there was a kid who could turn into metal who went by Ferro Lad.

Oohhhhh, I see.

Hey, did anyone else correctly guess what any of the English names would be? I myself correctly guessed Klang, Maractus, Sandile, Swanna, and Musharna.

With a mustache.

rusty, i think duosion is duo plus fusion
alomomola might be mola and a corruption of aloha
stunfisk might come from lutefisk, a food made of fish
druddigon i thought, had something to do with drudge
i got swanna. and while i didn't get the name right, id did guess shubarugo's pun

After PokéJungle's history with the BW Pre-release period, I'm saying "Fake until proven Real". Wanna know why? Sure, they posted some true stuff, but far too much fake stuff in comparison, and:

PokéJungle said:
I put absolutely NO FAITH in these and NEITHER SHOULD YOU. After saying that, will I still be mentioned at forums across the world for providing shitty and unreliable information? Absolutely. While we wait I’m sure my readers want to entertain themselves :p This was actually sent to me by an Italian source who I know nothing about.

Also, why would Nintendo care so much about names? They didn't shut down PokéExperto for leaking all the Pokémon, and when I emailed TPCi when PokéJungle were saying they'd reveal Kyurem's type if they had $200 in donations (which later increased), TPCi didn't care, just saying they had no affiliation with them.

I'm guessing these to be real also, as some names have supposedly been confirmed in Nintendo Power.
I'm curious to see this...

Anyways, my opinions on them:

Vittoria: Okay. NO. Legendaries are named so that they can be the same globally, "Victini" is a perfectly viable name (could be Victory + Tiny). Why change it?
Serperior: Rhyperior says hi.
Pignite: Fan favourite. Hence why I doubt it will happen. Emboar is realistic though.
Dewott: De...what?!
Samurott: Could have been worse, but could have been "Bushelldo".
Patrat: What...the...?
Lillipu: See "Patrat".
Unfezant: Yeah, it's a pheasant, hence why I named mine "FEZ". Pun on "Unfazed"? Which has no connection to Kenhorou.
Roggenrola: Who's on drugs?
Woobat / Swoobat: I know they're Zubat expies, but COME ON!
Timburr / Gurdurr / Conkeldurr: ConkelDERP.
Throh: What?
Sawk: Again, What?
Krokorok / Krookodile:...no.
Cofagrigus:....no.
Reuniclus: Where did "Reuni" come from again?
Emolga: Emonga was fine.
Amoonguss: If this doesn't say "fake" I don't know what does.

Ones I LIKE:
Watchog: A bit simple, but works.
Liepard: This one, rules.
Trubbish: Noice.
Escavalier: Okay, this one is good.

Last edited:

Where did you pull Vittoria out of? It's still Victini.

With a mustache.
...They should have at least formatted the list. Just realised that, due to the name being shorter, my eyes focused in on the species name xD

I'm liking most of those (supposed) English names. They have that same uncreative vibe that the Generation 1 Pokemon had. :B But they really didn't need to change Victini's name. Vittoria is a little too feminine... Unless if Vittoria's SUPPOSED to be female. :x

EDIT: OH! Lol! My bad, Missingo. Master. x3

Last edited:

After PokéJungle's history with the BW Pre-release period, I'm saying "Fake until proven Real". Wanna know why? Sure, they posted some true stuff, but far too much fake stuff in comparison, and:
Yeah, speaking first hand, it's pretty easy to submit fake names to PokeJungle and have them post it. And then the fanbase as a whole believing it. :p

But apparently it appeared on other sites before PJ I'm hearing now.

I'm in love with Pawniard and Bisharp. My favorite Pokemon of the generation get chess-themed names? I definitely wouldn't mind.

Well, there's always the chance whoever saw that page wrote the list afterwards (changing the names for those specific ones), since it's only a one day difference, or IGN is wrong (I doubt they'd fake screens though), but yeah, I think these are probably real now.

YES! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I JUST FRIGGIN' KNEW IT!

Also confirms a few other things.

Double Chop>Dual Chop
Freefall>Sky Drop
Dust Proof>Overcoat
You First>After You
Mummy stays the same
Sand Paddle>Sand Rush
Sand Strength>Sand Force
Heart Stamp stays the same
Dream Smoke>Dream Mist
Game Sync stays the same
Makomo>Fennel?

With an "I told you so" mustache.

...I don't get why they would leave Munna and Musharna as is, but change something fittingly English like "Wargle."

Escavalier is honestly the most badass Pokemon name I've ever heard.
I like most of the names...
I think Chobomaki could've gotten something a bit more clever then "Shelmet," though. :/

But all in all, epic names.

My older brother just told me that Foongus and Amoongus are named after an Incubus album. Noice.

Dag. There is little I can say about that. Somebody's head is going to roll over at TPCI. I suggest we keep most of these names to ourselves lest we feel their wrath.

I'm perfectly ok with this. As for Bulbapedia, I smell chaos brewing...

How about the entire fandom?

Back
Top Bottom