• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Looking back at Gen V: What did it introduce that you liked and didn't like?

Liked: Re-useable TMs, asking us if we want to apply another Repel, the organization tool and the Big Stadium and Small Court.

Disliked: Hugh, Cheren, Pokéstar Studios, The Musical Theater and Team Plasma.

I liked several Pokemon it introduced like Trubbish, Archen, etc. I like Roxie and the rival from the sequels a lot. I liked the city and route designs, even though the graphics sometimes didn't do them justice. The sequels had some really nice Some of the music was just fantastic. I surprisingly liked Pokestar Studios, like, a lot. And... That's about it.

The 2D sprites and 3D models did not mesh together well, if at all. The side quests were boring. Some cool things like Join avenue and the Subway system had potential but were pretty much squandered. The gyms were over design, they seriously felt out of place and annoying. The characters were mostly dull or stupid, a few exceptions here and there. The stories were stupid, though the sequels were slightly less so. To much gratuitous dialogue. The first ones were too linear. And some pretty bad Pokemon designs.

So, it was, eh. I wouldn't say a failure because it's still got the heart of Pokemon. However, it tries to be too much of what people want then what people need which has been the problem of Pokemon since third gen. Still, it does better then D/P/P, by a lot, and they even improved B/W more so with B2/W2. So I give it a pass.

Liked!
- The bigger, more vibrant locales. Places like Castelia City and Village Bridge definitely had a ton of atmosphere, more atmosphere than most of the other games' locations put together.
- The minor (but definitely noticeable) gameplay tweaks, like TMs being made reusable, the game asking you if you want to keep using Repels, etc. Basically a ton of little things that helped make the game a little smoother than before.
- The story, which quite honestly puts every previous game to shame (which, granted, is saying very little, but hey).

Disliked!
- The music (mostly). Is it just me, or was it a lot more monotonous this time around? (there are exceptions, of course, but I can't recall any previous game having anything as punishing as the looping, high-pitched Driftveil music)
- The lack of touchscreen functionality compared to HgSs. I mean, the C-Gear was kinda neat, sure, but was it really worth delegating the entirety of the bottom screen to it, especially after the Johto remakes showed how beautifully simple it made navigating menus?

Liked:

-Indestructable TMs. I love unlimited Thunder, Blizzard, and Fire Blasts!
-PWT. So much fun to sweep all the Gym Leaders and Champions with Chim Chim.
-Fully animated designs. Instead of having the pokemon standing still, they actually move around. It's more realistic.
-Character designs (except the BW1 player characters.) I like the designs of N and the BW2 player characters and others.
-Seasons. I like how the music changes depending on the season, especially in Winter.
Pokestar Studios- The player actually gets to speak! And I like how you have to fulfill a certain condition such as knocking out opponent using Astonish.
Special gym themes- Every gym leader gets their own gym theme! I loved Roxie's, Drayden's, Skyla's, and Elesa's theme!

Dislikes-
The GTS. Everyone asks for a Lv. 9 and under Zekrom!
Some of the Pokemon designs. Specifically Trubbish and Garbodor.
Some move animations. Specifically Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, Close Combat, Flamethrower and Hydro Pump.

Overall it is tied with Gen 1 for my favourite generation.

Like triple battle, reusable tms, no all caps. Dislike rotation battle.

Last edited:
Liked:

-Infinite TMs
-Gym Leaders that showed personality and interacted outside their Gyms
-PWT is cool
-Updated move animations in B2W2
-Most of the Pokemon were cool
-Black Tower/White Treehollow is the best way to get exp.
-Moving sprites and dynamic battlefield
-Challenge mode is a good concept
-Triple battles are cool
-Shaking spots
-Join Avenue
-Pokestar Studios is fun and to me feels like a callback to the Battle SIMS in XD
-A lot of the music
-Low HP tune
-Designed so you can't walk over E4 with mascot legendaries
-Story
-No all cap names
-Battle Subway
-Daily Events
-Fantastic breeding system
-Game Version differences
-Seasons

Disliked:
-BW is WAY too linear. You basically go from one town to the next to the next with pointless story driven tasks (Celestial Tower) and little freedom in exploration.
-Dream World is just a ball busting way to get Pokemon with Hidden Abilities
-Hidden Groves sound good on paper but isn't anything special
-Too easy
-Gym Leaders and other tough battles have less Pokemon than they should
-B2W2 did not introduce any sprite changes outside the starters and Cottonee
-Lack of Battle Frontier. PWT is a step in the right direction but eventually becomes worn out and predictable. Biggest dislike IMO
-Battlefields could have been better in B2W2 (look at Pokestar Studios)
-Sawk and Throh
-A lot of good TMs were taken out
-Didn't introduce any new battle mechanics outside new battle styles
-Rotation Battles
-Lack of Triple Battles in BW
-GTS
-Disconnecting in Random Matchup
-Musicals
-Entralink
-C-Gear
-Challenge Mode isn't available at the start

Liked:
-Re-useable TM's
-Pokestar Studios
-PWT
-Unique locations
-Seasons
-Driftveil City music
-Gym leaders have lives and jobs
-Dream World
-Pokemon

Disliked:
-Musicals
-Too linear
-No touch screen menu like in HGSS
-Always getting the same location in Dream world
-Extremely dull characters
-Bianca
-Rival music (BW) and Gym leader battle theme, I can't take the battles seriously
-NOBODY HAS LV.9 OR UNDER LEGENDARIES. Please stop asking.
-C-Gear

Liked:

Creative Pokémon designs. A lot of my favorite Pokémon are from Gen V
Gyms having unique themes in B2W2
Some of the Gym Leaders, like Clay, Roxie, Skyla, Iris and Marlon. I like how they appeared more often outside their gyms, unlike the previous gen's GLs.
The Elite Four members and the two champions
Rosa and Hugh's designs (and Hugh was an unique rival too, at least)
Re-usable TMs
White Treehollow and Black Skyscraper
PokéStar Studios
Colress

Disliked:

N
Hilbert, Hilda and Nate's designs
Team Plasma
Pokémon World Tournament
Most of the city, route musics and specially the Gym Leader Battle theme
Starters not having secondary types
Gym Leaders having only three Pokémon in their teams
Excessive rival battles in BW. Seriously...
The region itself was very boring compared to the diversity of Hoenn and Sinnoh

Holy crap, I never thought I disliked so much stuff about Gen V. I think the generation was good overall, but not as good as Gen I, III and Gen IV.

Last edited:
Ghetsis
Colress
Reusable TMs
Faster method of gaining EXP
Tons of catchy music

Dislikes:
Some characters wern't used to their full potential (N, Ghetsis, Hugh, Shadow Triad)
Speech bubbles (Makes the game look cutsie)
The anime (You already know my thoughts on this crap)
Cynthia (Whats GF's obsession with her?)
BW1 feels bland
Musicals weren't needed

Last edited:
I liked indestructible TMs and I really loved N.

I didn't like the Musicals at all. After the awesomeness of Pokeathlon, Musicals were a huge letdown.

The lack of touchscreen functionality compared to HgSs. I mean, the C-Gear was kinda neat, sure, but was it really worth delegating the entirety of the bottom screen to it, especially after the Johto remakes showed how beautifully simple it made navigating menus?
I agree that this was VERY disappointing. What's the point of making a touch screen game if you rarely use the touch...? And couldn't they have just made it an option to see those functions of c-gear? like how hgss had multiple different 'apps' on the touch screen, i think c-gear would have functioned better as a potential 'app'

I really loved the small things, such as...

-Pokémon names not in all capital letters
-The popoffs for when abilities activate
-Fully animated sprites

On the other side of things, I had hoped that they would at least make some new victory themes, but instead they recycled nearly all the HGSS ones.

I liked so many things. First of all, infinite use TM's. Its such a relief to know that you can use it again if you screw up. Also, the changes to the bag and organising items was awesome, as I tended to do that manually before. I liked seasons a lot, but was disappointed that they ditched night-day differences in encounters in favour of them. Also, I didn't like that except the Frillish and Pidove lines there are no Pokémon with gender differences. Last but not least, I hate the C- Gear. It isn't all that useful, and they could do something like the Pokétch, and if not, at least do it like HGSS.

Positives

Every generation has their flaws, but fifth gen has definitely been one of the more enjoyable ones. I didn't mind the uncreative concepts such as ice-cream cones because similar ideas have been produced in other generations. It isn't GF's fault that their creativity levels are running low, with over 600 pocket monsters roaming around, it's hard to find fresh ideas. I think I'll start with the positives of the fifth gen. As mentioned before unlimited TMs was something that I really appreciated. While that meant bumping up TMs to expensive prices, it was definitely worth it. I always found it frustrating having to be extra careful with them and figuring out which Pokemon should get which move. It really messes with your head after a while. Plus this means making TMs harder to find, as they're more valuable. So it's like a little treasure hunt for 90 or so goodies.

Another thing I really liked were the animated sprites. It looked so unnatural, the Pokemon just standing like statues. I'm glad they decided to liven it up this generation. The plot of B/W2 was one of the best so far, with conflicts between two separate Team Plasmas, new challenges, new places to explore. It wasn't just the old 'chase after Team Rocket to steal back Pokemon' but more of a 'save the world from disaster'. The freezing, the ships, everything about B/W2 was pretty darn cool. I'm not saying B/W's plot is shabby either. I really liked how they stepped up the graphics. They added detail, shading everywhere and it looked realistic! I enjoyed the soundtracks of the generation as most of them had that dramatic or climaxy feel. The PWT was another standout in the fifth generation. Being able to compete with gym leaders outside of your region, really proved who was the strongest of them all. Overall generation five had a lot of positives and these are only to name a few.

Negatives

If we had to move onto negatives, I really disliked the duplicates of Pokemon on teams. Two Emolgas when there was Joltik and Tynamo to take their spots. Swadloon and Leavanny on the same team when Durant could of came in and wrecked some havoc. By changing one Pokemon, they could of increased the gym leader's difficulty dramatically. I'm not saying they chose bad Pokemon but they could of improved on them. I didn't like how B/W only had Unova Pokemon until the after-game. It did give a spotlight on the new Pokemon yes, but some types were lacking and this gave a huge imbalance. Take the water-types of Unova for instance. I can only name about three off the top of my head. The only other thing I would complain about is the C-Gear taking up so much space. Why couldn't it just be an item in your bag instead of flooding your whole bottom screen? It honestly made no sense.

Overview
Generation five isn't perfect and there are a lot of things that it could of fixed, but overall its been a crazy ride. :]

re useable tms

the ice creams

N

the endings to both games

dislikes:
musicals
emolga
ghetsis being slighty psychotic
her.

I didn't like that a lot of pokemon seemed too similar to the old ones - Like Boufallant, Foongus and Palpitoad family's. Although in saying most are ok, and a few are amoung my favorites.
This was made worse by not letting me have any older pokemon to use while I got used to the new ones. (rightly fixed in the sequels).
I didn't like the musicals, but I do give them credit for doing something different rather than just more contests. (even though I liked contests, especially Hoenn's)
Fire/Fighting. Really just stop with it.
That Antique shop in Join Lane - always, everything was a hard stone.

I did like the much stronger story-line, and the use of sequels rather than the third version, however I would have preferred a third version that was a sequel to both at once. (Yes I know that wasn't possible with the story, but maybe for the future).
I liked the much more animated sprites.
Join Lane in general, and Nurseries in particular were great, so was Volcarona's egg speeding ability (forgot the name)
I actually liked the Films, although some were rather tedious and I still haven't finished a lot of them.
Dream Radar was nice, although I don't want it repeated... unless it's built in or free.
I don't use dream world very often, but it was a nice alternate way to get unavailable pokemon, and I look forward to (hopefully) seeing a better equivalent in gen VI
I liked Yancey, nice to have some level of a relationship with a character other than the prof. and your friend/rival.
I like the bonus custom PC backgrounds, hopefully there will be more in Gen6.
I liked that your rival (in the sequals) has a purpose other than trying to be as better than you are.
I like the extransevers screens, but wish they had made sprites for the gym leaders, random trainers so we could have rematches and hear about top percentage Patrat
Pokemon world tornamant was one of their best ideas yet, remiked Hoenn music was amazing - only two complaints with PWT. SABRINA. I could beat any of the other kanto leaders, but not Sabrina (she didn't even have a type advantage). After about 30 attempts she lost to Janine in the semi-finals. I was actually at a type disadvantage to her, but still won. Secondly WTF WHY IS FLANNERY NOT A PROPER RED-HAED. THERE ARE ENOUGH PINK HAIRED GYM LEADER ALREADY. (as you may have guessed she is my favorite gym leader, and if/when Ruby/Sapphire is remade she had better not have pink hair... you have been warned Game Freak)

Like: :banana: :banana:
:banana: PALPITOAD :banana:
:banana :banana:
Not like: The structure in the bag. Navigating in SS/HG was much easier.

- reusable tm's, this saved me from so much stress over deciding which pokemon gets which tm
- being prompted to reuse repels once they wear out
- the plot (BW), this was the first game that felt like it had an actual story behind it aside from getting badges, defeat evil team, become the champion
- only having unova pokemon until you defeat the E4. A lot of people didn't like this but I felt that it made the unova games unique and made you try different pokemon besides your usual favorites
- Pokémon world tournament
- having a direct sequel instead of a normal third version
- challenging the E4 in any order you want
- the twist of having to face N/ghetsis instead of the champion

Dislikes
- starters, I wasn't a big fan of oshawott and there were better grass and fire types (ferrothorn, sawsbuck, darmanitan, chandelure, etc) than snivy and tepig
- the elite 4 seemed too easy in BW since they only had 4 pokemon each
- no battle frontier. The battle subway was kind of boring

I love the fact that you can reuse Tm`s, and for some reason I loved the option to use another repel when the one you were using wore off

One thing I disliked was..... um....

Like:
Re-usable TMs - Really, who didn't?
Repel prompts - It's small things like this that can make a game actually bearable. Pokemon was already good, but that small thing simplified things much better.
Pokemon World Tournament - The epitome of a Pokemon "Nostalgia Wave". This was a nice send-off for the series before it jumps to 3D, by letting you remember all those gym leaders and champions you've soundly thrashed over the years.
Better Breeding mechanics - This was, simply put, much needed.
Dream World Abilities - This was a nice way to make older Pokemon better in many ways. Some Pokemon shot up in usefulness quite a lot (Xatu, Espeon, Sableye, Venusaur).
Join Avenue - Shops that sell rare items often and hatch eggs quicker? And you can do this without needing to connect to anyone? A really well thought-out concept. Kudos to GF.

Dislike:
Musicals - Contests are far and away superior.
Funfest - Nice if you live in Japan where you can pass by people playing Pokemon pretty much daily. Not so great for most of the rest of the world.
Rotation Battles - Triples are fine, if a bit uncreative. Rotation is the opposite: Creative, but not fine in the slightest.
Pokestar Studios - Really? Who thought this was a fun idea? Worst of all, you're actually forced to do a movie as part of the main game...>_>
Dream World Abilities - Yes, it's here too because we all know the redundancies like Insomnia Delibird and Damp Jellicent. Some real missed opportunities here. Also, they didn't even release all the Pokemon that get DW abilities, so who knows when we'll get DW Johto/Unova starters or DW Legendary Birds/Gerbils/Golems/Heatran.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom