• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Looking back at Gen V: What did it introduce that you liked and didn't like?

I DID like the PWT, which kept me occupied for hours after I beat the Elite Four. I did NOT like Sigilyph. Sigilyph is a lot like Unknown in some ways. Some really cool mystery or story part could have been based on it. It's Pokedex entry says that it flies on predetermined paths around the desert, giving even more evidence of a lost, technologically advanced civilization in Unova. But no, It's just a normal Pokémon.

Sigilyph is based on the Nazca Lines, mysterious lines in Peru made in the fields. It can only be seen from the sky, and with Sigilyph being a Flying Pokémon....... There is just so much material that GF could have used.

Alas, Sigilyph is just a normal pokemon. How dull..

So, Gen V, let's see...

Like:
*Re-usable TMs. This is possibly my absolute favourite addition. I always used to worry about using TMs, and then having a better use for them later, so I would always just hoard them. Now I can teach Flamethrower to so many different pokemon without worrying at all! Ooh, I just love roasting my enemies to a satisfying crisp. Sorry, bit of a sadistic moment there.

*Black Tower. On Black 2, at least. It was nice to have somewhere where you fight competent opponents, while still training your team properly. I'd have liked them to give the boss trainers full teams, though, but fully healed your team before fighting them. And it would have been nice if it'd gone the whole way with levels, so the trainers in the last area have mid level nineties, or something.

*Pokemon World Tournament. Sure, it wasn't totally different to the other similar places, but it let you get battle points a lot faster.

*Seasons were sort of nice, though they didn't really affect the gameplay that much. I spent more time getting annoyed by it being the wrong season than I did enjoying the benefits of it being the right season.

*Hidden abilities were pretty neat, though I've not had a chance to properly enjoy them. I'd like a more convienient way of getting to them than the Dream World in Gen VI, really.

*Some minor changes to gameplay, and stuff, were nice too. Like the better bag (sorting is good), and the thing that lets you use repels without going back into your bag.

And what don't I like? Hmmm...

*A lot of the new pokemon. I generally favour a minority in each generation, but this one took that to excess. Snivy was the only starter I liked. Then there were all sorts of designs on other things I didn't like. I won't name many of them, since you could probably guess my least favourites anyway. But really, so many of these designs were just... ugly. Or a bad concept. At least there were no new evolutions/prevolutions.

*The region wasn't my favourite. It was too linear, really, and I didn't find there was much free exploration. Okay, so there was some, but it could have been done better.

*I think there was too much stuff which relied on communication with other players. Just my opinion.

*The battle subway... wasn't that bad really. Until you compare it to the battle frontier, at which time you realise just how cheap and lazy it was, especially for the generation after. The pokemon world tournament didn't really help this either. I want the battle frontier back!

So, yeah, that's what I think. I could probably come up with some more for both sides, but this'll do.

New region, new pokemon. Sure I would have like to have some of my old favourites, but finding new ones made it more fun.
Seasons were pretty interesting.
Re-usable TM's is awesome. No more stressing on who to teach what.
Having more of a story-line was pretty cool.

Dislikes
C-gear. HG/SS did a much better job with the bottom screen.
Boxes. HG/SS was better here too.
No contests/Pokethlon.

I liked having more of a storyline than "get the badges, become the master, beat the bad guys along the way". I was especially happy with the continuity between B/W and B2/W2. The gym designs were gorgeous also.

I'm not a big fan of triple/rotation battles. It just seems unnecessarily complicated. I prefer the Gen 3 and 4 contests to Gen 5's musical as well.

Honestly, Black 2 had to be a very good game for me! I simply loved what they did to make the story. It wasn't the best, but its a lot better then just stoping a organization and catching them all. I also love most the designs, with the ones that didn't look that good for designing, they still come out to be great Pokémon :D The World Tournament was awesome too, and I was able to get myself Darkrai in the White version I had :D
But sadly, there was things that don't appeal to me very well. This being Iris becoming champion in the second Gen 5 game, and the gym leaders weren't as cool as they were before in the first ones. And the last thing I hate, isn't even part of the game! It's all the stupid people that just go in and judge the game because of Trubbish and Vanilite, and not even give the game a REAL chance!
Overall, it was fun to play it. I will surely miss this Gen and come back to play for fun at times :D

- You're only allowed to use new Pokemon. (I always thought it made more sense for a region to have only its own Pokemon, rather than being populated by past staples.)

- The starters and general Pokemon design direction. I just like where they're going with this. And I can see the general design is continuing into Generation VI, which is very good.

- Animated sprites. Oh God, yes! A good precursor to the 3D of X&Y. Makes battles seem much more dynamic and life-like.

- More consuming story. The plot is kind of intense on a first playthrough, and I really liked what they did with N. I hope it continues into future generations. Nice twist there at the end too!

- More differences between the versions, making it make more sense for them to be two of them. Different gym leaders and such was a very nice move. Also, so was Black City and White Forest.

- Reusable TMs is one of the best. My God, it is so awesome. Now I don't have to hoard them obsessively. *_*

- On that note, HMs becoming a thing of the past. Can I say, YES! They're still around, but for a very small portion of the game. Thank you for no more HM slaves!

- Less focus on contests/side things. I'm not really fond of those. Also, Pokemon movies are pretty fun and awesome.

- Actual sequels instead of a gussied up remake third version. (Though I still prefer the original BW.)

Dislikes

- C-Gear. I mean, that thing is mostly useless. I rarely have it on, and I really hate how the game constantly asks you to turn it off at startup. Can't you save my setting?

- On that note, less usage of the touchscreen. It really seemed like they took a step backwards from HGSS. They had a really nice and organized item menu, polished up and refined usable touchscreen. Instead, they went to a sort of hybrid between it and DPPt. I really don't like that.

- Removal of Pokemon following you outside of battle. One of my favorite things from HGSS. I was really sad to see it go. >:

- Certain Pokemon designs. Such as the typical Trubbish/Garbador, and Vanillite's evos. (Vanillite itself is fine.)

- In BW2 - Don't like how they brought back the old Pokemon for some sort of seeming fan service. In my mind, it isn't canon or sensical for Unova, a place far from the other regions, to have the old Pokemon in it.

- Rotation/Triple battles. Just a gimmick that I find far too confusing and not really usable.

- Dream World. Slow as hell, and you can only be there an hour a day. You get cool Pokemon with awesome abilities, but it isn't worth it. Just a hairpuller I stopped using after a few times.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom