• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Looking back, why do you think Brock stayed for the DP series?

Because SOMEBODY had to be Satoshi and Hikari's cooking slave right? :)
Or because a black-looking person just HAS to be in the main group or else it would be considered "racist" to Western people. Personally, I think he's tanned.

You have to admit, over the last two gens it was strange just to see the female character change but then Brock stay.

I think if they had changed the male companion every arc too, it would have been more refreshing.

Well, there was that interview with one of the story boarders who basically admitted the girls are easily replaceable to them. A reason further confirmed by Shudo who said Misty was written off instead of Team Rocket because she's expendable.

Then again, wasn't Brock brought back because the international backlash told them he wasn't an offensive stereotype at all? Maybe they just figured him sticking around would make things easier since he'd need less focus than the others.

He was around for 14 years...and yet we never got to see those eyes. Well, exept that time with Cyndaquil's flamethrower...oh and that time he was making faces...but other then that, we never CLEARLY see his eyes. Note my username. IT'S TRUE!

My theory is that the writers were just too scared to replace him with anyone until recently. His return in Johto was supposedly motivated by Tracey being unpopular and people missing Brock, and I think it just took them a long time to get over the hesitation to try it again.

I definitly think he should have left by the end of Johto. Even though he didn't do much in Johto, it was still a bit nostalgic for him to return and have the original trio back after Orange Island. But He didn't need to be in AG on.

I dont entirely agree with you, but I do feel his character need to be replaced and I'm glad they have him moving onward post DP. I think Brock's removal in at the end of DP is to signify the change that we are getting with BW, these are new games that focus on a far away region where none of the old Pokemon can be found. Its nothing personal with Brock, they just wanted to have the feeling that everything was new and different

I feel they needed some one to be comic relief, it probaly takes a while to make a new character to replace some one so why not Brocko? Just an idea.

I definitly think he should have left by the end of Johto. Even though he didn't do much in Johto, it was still a bit nostalgic for him to return and have the original trio back after Orange Island. But He didn't need to be in AG on.

I still thought Brock functioned well among the group in AG, even if Brock himself didn't get much focus.

A group of 4 was very refreshing, and unlike the DP trio, the Hoenn group actually felt balanced with characters who would play off each other.

It might also be because Dawn always interacted with Ash, whereas when May was getting spotlight, Brock could still play off of Max.

My theory is that the writers were just too scared to replace him with anyone until recently. His return in Johto was supposedly motivated by Tracey being unpopular and people missing Brock, and I think it just took them a long time to get over the hesitation to try it again.

I doubt fanbase influenced much his stay at all to be honest.I remember complaints being 10 times worse when Misty was replaced(they still didnt diminish) not leaving much of impact at all among writers.

I think Brock's removal in at the end of DP is to signify the change that we are getting with BW, these are new games that focus on a far away region where none of the old Pokemon can be found. Its nothing personal with Brock, they just wanted to have the feeling that everything was new and different

Probably the biggest reason behind Brocks replacement considering how BW series are acting like semi reboot with writing staff wanting to inject some change in series,though i will definitely miss Brock.
He has been in this show for majority of its run and it will be weird watching series without him.
He was a good character and fulfilled his role decently being good mentor to Ash taking care of group providing some great moments.

Its a sad thing seeing so many older characters replaced without closures ending up neglected and some could ask himself how many more will end up like this?
Oh well.

Its a sad thing seeing so many older characters replaced without closures ending up neglected and some could ask himself how many more will end up like this?
Oh well.

Brock got closure. He became a doctor and will use his nursing/healing/breeding skills there. His brother now runs the Pewter Gym.

The only thing he never got was a girl, but I guess that's part of the running gag.

Brock got closure. He became a doctor and will use his nursing/healing/breeding skills there. His brother now runs the Pewter Gym.

The only thing he never got was a girl, but I guess that's part of the running gag.

Well i wasnt specifically speaking about him but some other characters.But i agree Brock got some closure deciding to further his ambition(you could say)by becoming doctor which seems like follow up to his breeding career due to having many connections with breeding and taking care of pokemon which seems like good "end" for him.

Talking about girl i wonder if he will ever find one.Unlikely but at end of series maybe something about it could be done.

I don't think it was the best closure, because his dream to become the best Pokemon Breeder, and now he's just studying to be a doctor? Although the two are linked, after 13 years traveling with Ash and his dream it was weird him just changing it quickly - even though he had had that dream since episode 5.
I'm still disappointed they didn't recognise his Gym Leader status more often - or his family etc.

I just personally feel Brock's goal changing is on lieu with Ash changing his to being a Battle Frontier champion or something. Whilst it's related it's just not the same. I know Ash is the main character so this change would be drastic, but it still kind of upsets me that his whole tenure on the show was just changed the episode before he left for good.

Considering Ash and Brock said goodbye in this way at the start of Orange Islands (with a handshake) tells me that they could have possibly given him a better send off, perhaps with parting reminiscing or gifts, but that chance is gone now. Although I did note in a blog about the lyrics to the song he was sent off on - how it is called 'Friend's Anniversary' and it surprisingly is quite accurate about Brock/Ash.

Anyway, back on topic. He was probably kept, because, like others said no-one was really there to take his role, and he was probably liked at the time. Now in BW they found Dento who had that relationship with food so they chose him.

I don't think it was the best closure, because his dream to become the best Pokemon Breeder, and now he's just studying to be a doctor? Although the two are linked, after 13 years traveling with Ash and his dream it was weird him just changing it quickly - even though he had had that dream since episode 5.

Hi... let me introdue you to this episode. In this episode, both Oak and Nurse Joy comment on the fact that Brock is a natural at healing pokemon. Oh yeah, this was back in the Advanced Generation...

Then throughout DP, he's been consistently shown displaying knowledge of medecine and interest in that field in such episodes as this one or that one or even this one. Ooooh and remember that one?

So yeah... it didn't come out of nowhere and it was planned for a while. He's off to school to learn how to be a pokémon finally finding his place in the Pokémon world = CLOSURE.

Anyway, back on topic. He was probably kept, because, like others said no-one was really there to take his role, and he was probably liked at the time. Now in BW they found Dento who had that relationship with food so they chose him.

Original character, Buck, Aaron, Conway, etc. could have filled the slot. As I showed earlier, they brought Brock back to close his character by shifting his focus less on coaching Ash and more towards healing, showing both Ash and Brock's developpement over the course of the series.

Dento isn't a Brock clone who's only there to cook, he's actually got some personality and might surprise us. Let's give him a chance shall we?

There's no need to be rude, Gible, I wasn't insulting any character or anything.
Anyway, just because he was shown to help out sick pokemon doesn't necessarily foreshadow his new dream. I mean, this is going to happen some time or another, following the whole 'character of the day needs help' thing, and it's just something Brock would do being the most mature over Ash etc.

Him actually -wanting- to be a doctor, however, just came the episode before he left. It doesn't matter if he did doctor-things early on, up until the end of his time he was still staying he wants to be the best pokemon breeder (even in DP190 he said this).

I actually think it was an OK way to send him off now, although I will surely miss him and I hoped he'd stick around. If only, as I mentioned earlier, Ash atleast thanked him or gave him the badge back then I would have been happy.

Anyway, just because he was shown to help out sick pokemon doesn't necessarily foreshadow his new dream.

Hum... yeah... yeah it is. That is exactly what foreshadowing is.

Brock being a natural at helping pokemon + Ash no longer needing a coach and being more independant + Brock more and more questionning his place in the latter half of DP = FORESHADOWING.

It didn't necessarily mean that he was gonna leave, but it's clear the writers were developping him towards more of a healer than a coach/cook this time around.

I actually think it was an OK way to send him off now, although I will surely miss him and I hoped he'd stick around.

Fans often say something like this but I recently rewatched an interview with a TV writer I worship and he said something that I thought was interesting about being a writer, "We're not there to give the audience what it wants, we're here to give it what it needs." As much as fans of a character want them to stick around forever, it's rarely what's best for the show and the character itself.

Why did the writers bring Brock back to DP? To close his storyline for good as they did with Misty at the end of the original series.

As much as fans of a character want them to stick around forever, it's rarely what's best for the show and the character itself.

Not always.In Mistys case it was mistake to replace her imo not developing her enough leaving all that potential unused.
Maxs case didnt fared any better basically not getting any ending considering how there was barely much story to him at all.

Even Brocks sendoff wasnt best for his character considering how writers instead of actually giving him some development doing something with him choosed easier way getting rid of him.
Such situations only leave fans unsatisfied.

Why did the writers bring Brock back to DP? To close his storyline for good as they did with Misty at the end of the original series.

Except Misty didnt received any closure at all at end of original series.There was no build up or foreshadowing with writers leaving everything going for her untied starting from her goal of becoming water master,being followed by Togepi etc.

Returning back at gym out of obligation not being sended in a way which serves as indication of advancing its story like it happened with May sendoff aswell with no change in character to change his ambitions like it happened with Gary or Brock is not a closure in any shape or form.Even in chronicles which were supposed to showcase Mistys adaption as gym leader situation was left unclear with character being portrayed as staying there more because of incmpetent sisters and not because he wanted implying desire to leave gym.

There is difference between ending and being "put on a bus" which was the only possible solution for her character in case of being removed considering how writers couldnt close plots centering her due to barely developing them at all.
As its known you cant go from point A to point B in story if you dont do something with it(move it forward).
Do writers need to close Mistys story,or do ahnything with open plots?No,they could leave her at gym forever never giving her ending with series continuin to go on but fact of the matter is how not every character who left main cast got closure.

p.s.Speaking of Brock we could say this was his second ending considering how first one happened in OI with writers originally intending to have him stay there forever later on changing mind returning him back for another run.

Last edited:
The worst thing is, watching both 'departures', they were pretty idendical. I think the writers could have done a bit more with the last one consdiering it was played out quite like the first time he left.

Brock more and more questionning his place in the latter half of DP = FORESHADOWING.
Apart from DP189, I don't remember this.

That is exactly what foreshadowing is.
But not foreshadowing for Brock actually wanting to change his dream. It was rather spontaneous on the moment and an easy way to write him off.

Last edited:
The worst thing is, watching both 'departures', they were pretty idendical. I think the writers could have done a bit more with the last one consdiering it was played out quite like the first time he left.

Now that you mentioned Brocks second departure really isnt that much different from first one and contrary to people belief there was no direct foreshadowing pointing toward Brocks departure or some big change going in him.

Everything happened rather fast in episode "Pokemon Doctor Brock" being delivered direct sudden desire to change his dream.

But not foreshadowing for Brock actually wanting to change hsi dream. It was rather spontaneous on the moment and an easy way to write him off.

Agreed writers were rather lazy in this department not giving him good sendoff if you ask me.Brock as character had potential,but writers never used him to full extent eventually just using the easiest way when they want to write off someone.Brock in my opinion and his fans deserved better.

>_____> This is me feeling like I speak Klingon. Do you guys know what foreshadowing is? Here...

foreshadowing, the organization and presentation of events and scenes in a work of fiction or drama so that the reader or observer is prepared to some degree for what occurs later in the work. This can be part of the general atmosphere of the work, or it can be a specific scene or object that gives a clue or hint as to a later development of the plot.

Source: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/213447/foreshadowing

Saying that Brock's departure wasn't foreshadowed is ludacris. From Pinch Healing to the last DP episode, they writers have consciously increased the number of times where Brock is healing pokemon, have reduced his role as the coach and have actually made him question his path and his place in the group. It was foreshadowing.

Same thing for Misty really. The underwater gym episode just casually dropping the Cerulean sisters back in the spotlight, reminding everybody that Misty is part a gym leader family... That whole episode was about reminding the audience of where Misty's sisters and the Cerulean gym. That's also foreshadowing.

Let's not confuse obsessive fan denial with lack of foreshadowing.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom