• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Looking back, why do you think Brock stayed for the DP series?

Same thing for Misty really. The underwater gym episode just casually dropping the Cerulean sisters back in the spotlight, reminding everybody that Misty is part a gym leader family... That whole episode was about reminding the audience of where Misty's sisters and the Cerulean gym. That's also foreshadowing.

You call one random episode about unoficiall gym leader foreshadowing?This episode was more about Misty earning respect from gym leadr of being just as good as her sisters(actually better as he said),than anything else not pointing in any way that said character will leave.

May and Dawn play out of departure is called foreshadowing and even with Brock there was more of build up with hints and episode about doctor than it ever happened with Misty.

I remember how much people were (rightfully) dissapointed and shocked when Mistys left suddenly with no closure to her story(she left in such rushed way that people didnt expected it to happen until last moment).

Let's not confuse obsessive fan denial with lack of foreshadowing.

Just because people dont agree with you,doesnt mean theyre being in denial and i dont like when people spread disinformations.
Ill give you on Brock how arguably there was some build up(though in not best way done)pointing toward departure but redhead case is a whole another thing.

Besides this thread is about Brock so i dont see any point in discussing other characters in here.

Last edited:
What kind of sendoff were people expecting, anyway?

The only thing I would have wanted is Holly to return so Brock would get a girl, but that's it.

The only thing I would have wanted is Holly to return so Brock would get a girl, but that's it.

Why Holly of all people? If the writers really wanted Brock's tenure on the show to end by getting a girl they would have created a new character just for that purpose.

Remember, Brock's running gag was just that. A running gag that had nothing to do with his own carrer with Pokémon. All the other characters who left the show left in order to pursue a serious goal with Pokémon that doesn't involve traveling with Ash. Misty has her Gym to run, Tracey is Oak's Aide, May and Dawn are still aiming for top coordinator and Max is studying at his father's gym and getting ready for his own journey. Brock becoming a doctor is no different.

Why Holly of all people? If the writers really wanted Brock's tenure on the show to end by getting a girl they would have created a new character just for that purpose.

Remember, Brock's running gag was just that. A running gag that had nothing to do with his own carrer with Pokémon.

They still could've given him a girl though. Yeah, him not getting a girl was a running gag, but since he's no longer going to be a main cast member (Is there any reason to think he'll come back? If the writers thought so, they wouldn't have gotten rid of him for a second time) I think he should've gotten some girl. It wasn't the main point of his journey, but I don't think that should make a difference. He's been girl-less for over 600 episodes, and if he was still in the cast that'd be one thing. But he left- we might as well have seen him with someone, I think.

Remember, Brock's running gag was just that. A running gag that had nothing to do with his own carrer with Pokémon.

I dont see a problem with Brock getting girl either.Sure some could annotate it as simple running gag but it was still nontheless part of his character.And while this wasnt possible while he was part of main cast,now that he went of to become doctor giving him girl after so much time and failed attempts would be nice thing not leaving any impact on current plot of series or anything.

All the other characters who left the show left in order to pursue a serious goal with Pokémon that doesn't involve traveling with Ash. Misty has her Gym to run, Tracey is Oak's Aide, May and Dawn are still aiming for top coordinator and Max is studying at his father's gym and getting ready for his own journey. Brock becoming a doctor is no different.

Agreed with all of above except for Mistys case whose goal was never being gym leader which was delivered to her forcefuly,and her goal of becoming water master was just as serious as Ashs,May,Dawns or any other characters dream(its enough to rewatch original series and events like Whirl Cup to see how determinated character was about it with some E4 proving how this is possible to accomplish).It just happens writers never expanded much on it.

I have to say, I'm really liking Dento so far.

I don't know if its simply the freshness of a new character or not, but he's certainly giving the BW trio a much more unique dynamic than if Brock was there again.

Hmm, well he has only be there for one episode so I'm not sure if he'll end up making it totally different. Personally I think Iris is the one that is changing the dynamics.
Even if Brock got little focus, I would have like to have a four person group, because Dento could play off Brock etc.
I only worry (I know this is only an irrational worry, and I know it sounds silly, but..) that if Brock is written out of the show, Brock will just be forgotten by Ash and that Dento will stay on for as long as Brock. This sounds stupid, and I'm probably wrong thinking Dento isn't the best character, but I'm still unsure on him.

I can agree with this. It might also be because they couldn't think of a viable male sidekick to replace him at the time.

This.

They can make 10000 CoTDs, but they couldn't make another 3rd-option character. I think he shoulda left after BF. That was the saga for him to end his character on a high note

I think we should just be happy Brock was on the crew for as long as he was. He will always be an original and Dento will not be a copy of him. They will give him his own persona and he may do things similer to Brock but they two are diffent and will act differnt

I only worry (I know this is only an irrational worry, and I know it sounds silly, but..) that if Brock is written out of the show, Brock will just be forgotten by Ash and that Dento will stay on for as long as Brock. This sounds stupid, and I'm probably wrong thinking Dento isn't the best character, but I'm still unsure on him.

Both Iris and Dento will be gone when Best Wishes ends. They're both 5th gen Gym leaders, I don't see them staying.

Brock outlasting his original gen by...3 more generations was a rarity.

My guess is if Ash continues, he'll travel with a new female and male every saga now.

If Takeshi stayed for so many generations despite him being a Kanto gym leader, I don't see why Dento can't. Iris will most likely leave, though, since we all know the staff like to change females every gen so there's new eye candy around every once in a while. Thinking about that disappoints me since I love these three together; they're by far my favorite traveling group.

While Takeshi didn't do much except sit on the sides, he WAS around from 1997 - 2010. That alone is something to be happy about. ^^;; I'm hoping he makes a small cameo or something sometime in the future.

hey're by far my favorite traveling group.
That's nice to think like that, but they -have- only been together for about 12 minutes.

Eh. It just makes me sad thinking about how Ash met Brock back in episode 5 and was travelling with him ever since (apart from Orange Islands... where the goodbye seemed to mirror that of the end of sinnoh). He's been in every movie and nearly every region. It's sad to see him go after all this time and the friendship he had with Ash.

I just hope he'll get more than one cameo, or let alone one.
Though I am happy they left his goodbye for after the credits. Whilst it could have been better, that was nice.

Brock never did get a major role in any of the movies. The most he ever did was battle Molly briefly in Movie 3.

He was treated the worst in the DP movies, I thought.

Yeah he was, I remember Brock having a line saying that in the Giratina and Shaymin movie english dub

His Croagunk got to stop a draco meteor. I thought that was cool.
Apparently he has -some- role in the new movie coming out. I mean Zorua didn't abandon him and did transform into him and Brock had to pretend it was his 'twin', so I guess he got to do something minor.

Although he wasn't treated well, and I wish he was, I still liked him as a character.

Apparently he has -some- role in the new movie coming out. I mean Zorua didn't abandon him and did transform into him and Brock had to pretend it was his 'twin', so I guess he got to do something minor.

Yeah I haven't seen Movie 13 yet, I was really only thinking about the Dialga/Palkia trilogy.

Although he wasn't treated well, and I wish he was, I still liked him as a character.

Yeah. It would have been nice to see him get some mini-arcs to himself, but he always played second fiddle to whatever female character was on the show at the time, so that's probably why. Even Misty tended to get a bit more screentime than Brock when they were on the show at the same time.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom