• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M18: The Archdjinni of the Rings: Hoopa

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't even remember the last time april ever got news, or if thete ever was an april with news.
Movie 16, only two years ago. That's when Mega Mewtwo Y was revealed (being passed off as a Forme). Suffice to say that nothing was revealed after that.

And it's pretty obvious that the real Hoopa needs to revert to Hoopa Unbound in order to fight its shadow.

Oh yeah, hehehe always thought that reveal was early. Still though my point stands that Hoopa and Hoopa Unbounded being portrayed separetly is odd. If anything, I can see the shadow being the unbounded form, while Hoopa's other form is a manifestation of good. Kinda think of it in Anime terms. Unbounded is the uncontrolable chaotic release of power, while Hoopa Controlled(my speculative name) is the mediated, balanced form, brought about by the need for an equal "good" version of Hoopa to defeat its inner darkness. Its cliche as fuck, but its something I can see them doing.

Oh yeah, hehehe always thought that reveal was early. Still though my point stands that Hoopa and Hoopa Unbounded being portrayed separetly is odd. If anything, I can see the shadow being the unbounded form, while Hoopa's other form is a manifestation of good.
Did you read the summary? Hoopa Unbound used to be good (being the same entity as Hoopa Confined) before it became a shadow. Ash and co. are trying to help Hoopa regain its old powers, meaning Hoopa Unbound.

Even if it was good, it being evil now still works with my speculation. Hoopa as is won't be able to defeat it on its own. Perhaps that's why its summning Arceus, but even that is not enough, as its all a metaphorical battle of inner sttuggles.

Another thing is, I would have assumed this reveal would have had a title change. What I mean is, the tv special labels Hoopa as minijinn, withe movie title having the label archdijinn. Why the difference if not for the form change?

Hoopa as is won't be able to defeat it on its own.
That's why it is trying to revert to Hoopa Unbound... The shadow isn't even a real entity.

And with the Eon duo, Lugia, Mega Rayquaza and Arceus, the protagonists have all the help they could possibly need.

Another thing is, I would have assumed this reveal would have had a title change. What I mean is, the tv special labels Hoopa as minijinn, withe movie title having the label archdijinn. Why the difference if not for the form change?
Archdjinn alluded to Hoopa Unbound all along. No change is necessary.

And I said it above, the resolution would likely come from a battle with itself, with the moral being that strength comes from within, and not from multidensional portals that summons god. We're just gonna go in circles f we continue, so at this point we should just wait. Not really gonna try c and change your mind, I've always accepted your opinions asuxh as my own

This is what is happening in the latest three images of the movie's manga adaptation

*As Serena is about to touch the bottle, Mary? tells her not to, saying she feels an extreme evil from it.
*"It is time for science to open up the future! Clemontic Gear, on!" Clemont uses his "Fully Automatic Lifting Machine" (Bonnie: "That name is just a description") to lift it without touching it.
*Ash: "Hoopa, are you all right?" Hoopa: "It was dark... I'm scared... (line is cut off here, there's more to it)" Mary: "If Hoopa goes on a rampage again, things will go the same as they did 100 years ago...".
*Barza screams at Meowth to not touch the bottle, but he does it anyway. Touching the bottle seems to make him possessed, causing him to open it.

[video=youtube;bxTxlKvQFU8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxTxlKvQFU8[/video]

Hoopa's English voice is horrific. Did they just use the first person they found on the street?

They're both pretty questionable imo. The dub name is kinda screwed as well.

Hoopa's English voice is horrific. Did they just use the first person they found on the street?

Shot, that's how TPCI gets many of their voice actors!

We can only hope and pray it's a place holder voice until they've actually dubbed it... :uhoh:

Though does anyone else ever think that TPCI dubs everything too quick :confused:

Do we have the movie runtime for the Japanese version? Because the English press release says 70-minute long, which seems way (25ish minutes) shorter than usual.

Edit: Nevermind, I just checked the run-time for the previous movie... It seems to be around 1 hour 16 minutes long (76 mins). So, I guess it's not that big of a deal.

Last edited:
"Hoopa and the Clash of Ages" sounds like the title of a bad fanfic.

Which I suppose is fitting considering how "EVERY LEGENDARY EVARR!!!!" is pretty fanfic-y in and of itself.

why are we getting a trailer and title this early its odd i fear were getting the movie not long after japan the voice acting is horrible

I'm disappointed in the Dub title. A much better title would have been "Hoopa: The Grand Genie of The Rings ". That's close enough to the Japanese Title but it still makes sense in English. Also where are Ho-Oh and The Lake Trio? They're nowhere to be seen on the dub poster or trailer. For once I'm interested in the anime. Aside form the egregious voice acting for Hoopa, this looks pretty darn cool. Hoopa is an interesting legendary.

Last edited:
Well it just goes to show how we can have such differing opinions on things.
I just saw the trailer and thought I'd say how cute and adorable Hoopa was, and part of that is the voice.

I think it gives it some character and has this sort of quirky mischievous fill.
Love these bits

"Did I scare you?"
"Aaashcon... Piiicon" "I'll stop them all!!!"

And I said it above, the resolution would likely come from a battle with itself, with the moral being that strength comes from within, and not from multidensional portals that summons god. We're just gonna go in circles f we continue, so at this point we should just wait. Not really gonna try c and change your mind, I've always accepted your opinions asuxh as my own

I think its gonna be more one of these "controlling your full inner power" etc, ie Hoopa Unbound is too powerful and goes on a rampage, like the Mega Lucario from the Anime, and it has to learn to control it.

Last edited by a moderator:
why are we getting a trailer and title this early its odd i fear were getting the movie not long after japan the voice acting is horrible

In typical TPCi fashion then, as little effort as possible.

But seriously, does anyone recognise who it is voicing Hoopa? That laugh at the end is the worst part. :rolleyes: It kind of sounds like it was the end of the day so they just winged it to get home earlier.

Holy crap... the dub is awful on the trailer. I hated the dub before but this just takes the cake. Hoopa's voice is a joke.

Did Tom Wayland get his daughter to voice Hoopa or something?

Dear glob, I cringed the whole time. This is obviously a money/time issue because they've used good voice actors/directors before. I won't say too much seeing how this is a trailer but given TPCi's track record...

Hey, Japanese music. Can't wait for it not to be used in the actual movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom