• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is actually a photomanipulated picture by Moa151 (The admin of Pokesho.com)
It's not official.

He's joking about how Ash is marrying Makoto instead of Misty.
That's why he edited Makoto in the wedding gown and Ash in wedding suit.

It's not the first time he had fooled Pokefans.
It's because his editing skills AND drawings are so real.

Wrong. This picture is official.
This is the picture published in Animedia Vol.08 (August) 2017, together with the interview of movie staffs of M20.

Though, it is true that in Pokemon-Matome, people using this picture as a joke of Ash marrying Makoto.

Wrong. This picture is official.
This is the picture published in Animedia Vol.08 (August) 2017, together with the interview of movie staffs of M20.

Though, it is true that in Pokemon-Matome, people using this picture as a joke of Ash marrying Makoto.

View: https://twitter.com/moa151/status/884066792053719040

This is his original tweet.

If you can find a tweet or website with time prior to this tweet, then I'd believe you.

Last edited:
You corrupted my view. Now I can't see this as anything but a wedding photo! :ROFLMAO:

The wedding thing is just so hilarious that I cannot be upset about it :ROFLMAO:

Presence of Joykotan tho...

What a lovely picture - the cake design looks delicious, and the little Marshadow and Ho-Oh pieces atop it is such a cute touch.

It's a cute picture, but why those two characters with Ash and Professor Oak instead of Ash with all of his Pokemon, his companions, and their Pokemon, long with their rivals and their Pokemon?

Well, in comparison to what they did portray on the picture - I can see why they didn't go down that road. Drawing that - while a really splendid idea to celebrate the 20th anniversary and I bet a fantastic job would've been done - would be rather laborious and cumbersome.

Did Nurse Joy have a notable role in the film? Or was she just given a character bio/shown in this image bc of her voice actress?

Looking back knowing now truth behind scenes in this movie being made. With Yuyama Kunihiko admitting how there was option of doing proper anniversary movie where past main characters are reunited. Before ultimately deciding to go for this alternate universe nonsense which imo instead of highlighting only disrespected pokemon roots, Ash bond with Pikachu, past main characters and pokemon past in general.

I have to question something?

This may sound rude, but I feel like mr. Kunihiko had no respect for head writer of OS Takeshi Shudo and his work. Doing his best to erase gradually all magic, legacy and impact he made on pokemon series. Let alone caring for millions of older fans who helped make pokemon anime popular and recognized on global scale.

It started with continuity becoming with each following generation scarcer trying to omit first Misty from face of existence and rewrite history by making her involvement in Ash growth and story in general obsolete.From her type master career being copied through Iris character, romantic subplot involving Ash ending discarded away presenting Serena as Ash first female friend and reducing original heroine to voiceless and unmoving small cameos like she was ordinary COTD. Brock purposely being reduced to background stripping away slowly over time his importance he used to have as character by making Dawn completely overshadow his existence.

Although May, later Dawn etc all followed same suit.

Than in 16th movie whole canon was messed up(since Mewtwo was confirmed before that to be one of a kind) by introducing another Mewtwo mudding on Shudo child creation and one of arguably most complex characters in pokemon series.

Just to end up with pokemon anime burning all continuity bridges from XYZ(Kalos) and onwards making it seem like SM is not even same anime set in original universe as others before that.

And now with anniversary movie openly admitting how whole idea of having Ash reunited with his older friends paying tribute to 20 years of pokemon adventure and history. Having something at least close to what Digimon, Yugioh or Dragon Ball, hell even Pretty Cure did for their specials. Commemorating anime anniversaries.

Says alot because it was discarded for what???

Self contained alternate universe train wreck with Ash clone, un relatable characters and rewritten beginnings , foundations on which franchise and anime started?
Effectively giving middle finger to older generations of fans, spreading false image among today kids on how Ash journey started and who was essential part of pokemon golden age, roots when everything started. Teaching them warped and messed up values.

Pretending thus like 20 years pf history and continuity was never there being abandoned. And of course covering all movie flaws with flashy animation and "cool battles". Along with playing on wear out and cliché emotional scenes to forcefully extort from audience feelings through dishonest and with no lasting substance plots. Regarding not original Ash bit his clone and partner clone Pikachu bond where they couldn't even bothered to stay faithful to this characters characterization.

And don't even get me started on TR who got basically joke treatment with their forced and ultimately irrelevant role to play in this movie(like they're not iconic to pokemon show). Being insulting to their importance and essence they used to have when complementing heroes personalities, actions and journey through their own agenda. Unique backgrounds, endearing personalities and unity they displayed through last two decades and onwards.

Mr. Shudo is rolling in his grave not having peace, Not with his colleagues disrespecting whole roots and foundations on which pokemon anime was created and developed. Going against everything pokemon anime used to be and stood for.

At this point i feel writers and directors completely lost their compass being out of touch with reality and what are fans wishes and interests.

Sure supporters will immediately point out to fact how "this movie is super popular in Japan" due to being currently first in box office revenues it brings.

But I have to point out how mas response to movie does not mean that everyone liked it. In fact its also possible that many who watched movie were not satisfied with it at all(although that doesn't matter since how much money it brings is what interests pokemon staff the most).

However im interested to see how in USA, Europe and rest of world this movie is gonna be received. Because it will determinate and reveal to writers, directors and producers how much things like continuity, older main characters, compact story and credible writing is valued and appreciated in general.

Although with way how things got started based on response in Japan may encourage staff to forever abandon continuity and everyone from before getting impression how "those things are not asked or wanted".
Pokémon fandom can be at times its worst enemy ,its true with way things have been panning out for years.

Last edited:
kantoskies said:
Did Nurse Joy have a notable role in the film? Or was she just given a character bio/shown in this image bc of her voice actress?

She only appeared in that one scene at the Pokemon Center after Satoshi's battle with Erika. She had maybe 30 seconds screentime, tops?

I'm pretty sure this may or may not have been sent around here but in case it hasn't here's a recent interview from the director Kunihiko Yuyuma from the ever so reliable AshandSerena from Twitter though translated by Dephender.
DFVQUIFUIAAr310.jpg
/SPOILER]

This officially confirms that
the film is defiantly taking place in a alternate universe
Ash's outfit went through some changes to make it more fashionable
and of course the big one that may or may bot be a kicker to you...

Ash is eternally 10 and will stay 10 forever and ever until the show meets it's demise or when the world finally gets destroyed by a meteor, this also confirms that S&M does not retcon any previous events and that it does take place straight after the XY series. (Also confirms that those Pokeballs Ash gives to Oak in the first S&M episode was certainly his XY team) So yes he WILL NEVER win a league (though at this point I ain't fussed about it) and he and Pikachu WILL stay on the show as they are quite marketable for the younger audiences.

@RetroPokeFan May I ask, where does it say that the five pokeballs are of his XY Pokemon for definite? It's not that I doubt you, but I don't see it in the english translation you have included here - was that an inference?

Also, is the fact that Ash will not ever win a league another conclusion you have drawn due to Yuyuma saying "Ash is eternally 10", as if so - I don't see how that'd stop him. I personally don't feel it's likely, but I don't think the interview here has cursed the chances of him winning - maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks for posting the translation of the interview. It was also posted on the Anime Continuity Thread - though more as a breakdown of the points. As for OS versus M20 Ash's fashion designs - I don't know, maybe it was the time, but I personally feel OS Ash's outfit wasn't too unfashionable for the late '90s, fit in well with the trends at the time.

@RetroPokeFan May I ask, where does it say that the five pokeballs are of his XY Pokemon for definite? It's not that I doubt you, but I don't see it in the english translation you have included here - was that an inference?

Also, is the fact that Ash will not ever win a league another conclusion you have drawn due to Yuyuma saying "Ash is eternally 10", as if so - I don't see how that'd stop him. I personally don't feel it's likely, but I don't think the interview here has cursed the chances of him winning - maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks for posting the translation of the interview. It was also posted on the Anime Continuity Thread - though more as a breakdown of the points. As for OS versus M20 Ash's fashion designs - I don't know, maybe it was the time, but I personally feel OS Ash's outfit wasn't too unfashionable for the late '90s, fit in well with the trends at the time.
Doesn't say anywhere though that's what I think it is anyway. Thinking what Pokeballs is for what Pokémon is like a guessing game.

This soundtrack is...literally everything I was hoping for. Each piece I listened to had the same vibe as the originals but was given new life. You can really tell the team had fun re-visiting old tracks from 20 years ago. 1997~1998 M15 ("Raid!") sounded like a mix between the main tv series and M05 versions. 1997~1998 M04 ("A Meeting and Parting") especially gave me chills. Please sound mixing gods start using this soundtrack in the main tv series asap!!!

.....Though this just makes me even more salty we didn't get a new rendition of the Rocket trio's original motto ))):< Stupid secret strategy....

(Track lengths can be found here: MHCL-30464 | Pokémon the Movie 20: I Choose You! MUSIC COLLECTION - VGMdb)

The soundtrack samples sounds great, and I'm definitely looking forward to receiving my copy. Really nice to hear some tracks that didn't originally get live orchestral versions receive them here (like BW Pokemon League, some AG and OS pieces)

That said:

-...Why so many RSE arrangements? Regi Battle, Secret Chamber, M-something-or-other from OST Best 2...

-As far as these previews go, not a single DP or XY piece is in the list. However, some of the tracks are 45 seconds or shorter in length, which is why I assume they're not playable, so I'm guessing it's they could be some of those.

-Still not a fan of having so many short tracks. Thankful that they're all included, though.

-Glad to hear that the Mezase Pokemon Master instrumental is a full 1m:44s, as well as Track 48 being 3m:15s.

-The Entei theme arrangement sounds really, really nice.

-If there *is* a DP piece... for the love of all that is good, please don't let it be the DP Gym Battle theme.

I don't think XY tracks are very necessary, especially from a long-term viewpoint. That series just ended so they aren't very nostalgic and wouldn't be as impactful in the film as say a Johto piece. Plus the sound mixers still use XY (and BW?) music in the main tv series so it's best to have as many OS-DP tracks in this soundtrack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom