• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New movie footage and music. And I can say that the animation and character expressions are gorgeous. It really does feel like something out of Studio Ghibli production in terms of atmosphere and style. And that puts a smile on my face.

Oh, and first manga/movie difference: Ash is clearly wearing pajamas rather than his trainer outfit in this trailer.

Stories are told and retold time and time again. Superman's origins as a Kryptonian Baby raised by human parents of a Kanas farm. Batman witnessing the death of his parents. Wonder Woman entering into Man's World. Spider-Man learning Great Power Comes Great Responsibility after the death of Uncle Ben. Captain America fighting World War 2 and being frozen to the present day. These are stories that audiences have heard many times before and will hear in the future.

Usually stories are retold and rebooted once first one received natural wrapping up of things giving denouement to adventure and protagonists who play central part in it.

There was no need for alternate reality and reboot in pokemon anime, nor is something people wanted. Especially when we have yet to see climax of story happening in main anime Ash case and eventual conclusion. Let alone for several older abandoned characters who were written out and never got proper resolution, or any to be honest.

If your going for reboot, first make sure to finish previous work you started, because this move is widely anything but appreciated.

In the case of Ash Ketchum, his story is a timeless classic and is worth doing a movie adaptation with a logical conclusion. To say that it "creates further disconnection and chaos within pokemon anime" is baloney because the movie has made itself clear from the very beginning of the trailer that this was an AU story and one that has a potential solution to a long problem.

I can assure you that people would appreciate much more if those in charge deemed worthy original Ash and normal universe to be first dealt with.

Having copycat Ash for who people hold no attachment and feelings receive conclusion will only frustrate masses of fans who hoped for years(decades) to see something move on mote profound scale with series protagonist and story they watched for so long time.

People love Ash from original universe and continuity caring for his story. And not for poor man version of already existing character.

Likewise this movie creates chaos within main anime because if theories of SM saga and 20th movie being in same continuity are any true, that would effectively mean 20 years of pokemon history, older characters, older pokemon, Ash and progression of journey ending flushed down the toilet. With no finale, follow up and satisfying closure. Better yet no closure at all.

Fans don't want alternate storylines and realities. They want that mess with original universe and timeline gets fixed and taken with care for change.

This movie instead of making people from all ages end up excited, hyped and attracted only created huge abyss between supporters and those who are disappointed with this movie. Dividing pokemon fans to extent which hasn't happened ever since Johto ended and Hoenn started.

Was this what producers and directors wanted? Because if yes they surely succeeded.

Would it be nice to see Gary, Brock, and Misty? Sure. But a movie must know who is the main focus of the story. And that would be Ash and Pikachu. Even Team Rocket is not that big a priority as Ash's journey as a Pokémon Trainer. And that is for the original series. If we include the rest, we'll end up focusing too much on nostalgia and not enough on story.

This story in particular is about the Ho-Oh. As such, Ash and Pikachu must take center stage.

Your missing the point of what anniversary should be and is about. Its about remembering and honoring original universe roots. Giving to not just driving force, but all major characters which represented and defined your work to be shown and play part in it. And in Kanto region case we know who those characters were.

By excluding all important pieces of puzzle except Ash and Pikachu your discrediting all impact, effort and contribution other characters and pokemon left on pokemon anime sending wrong message.

Whole theme of this movie was missed from very start. Because anniversary movie should be about reunions, doing sequels and follow ups to iconic and established characters(like Digimon, Yugioh, Dragon Ball etc did/are doing) , having them remembered and play important role once again. Introducing newer kids with anime roots and how everything started, yet at same time rewarding older fans for their loyalty and contribution to make some series become popular and known in first place.

Even if Ash should in Ho-oh storyline receive the most, that does not mean he should receive everything. Because people like not just Ash, but other characters as well. And would appreciate if others like Misty, Brock etc were part of this adventure as well receiving chance to shine to extent. Instead of all glory being reserved only and just for Ash and Pikachu. Who receive most anyway.

Considering that even Jessie, James and Meowth who were in pokemon for all this tie stull being in this movie wont receive any meaningful focus from looks of it comes across as highly hurting to their integrity and unfair.

Most importantly unlike Ash who will continue to be in many more specials, movies and anime taking leading role, this movie considering it was supposed to be anniversary(but its not really) was possibly last chance to see on screen and in action some of this older characters at all. Given how are show past and older characters treated in main show.

And to see the omitted and devoid from any chance to ever return in flesh again was only aggravating and unfair in many people eyes finding they deserved better.

As for Charmander and Cross, imagine if this as a standalone live-action movie for Pokémon. You're going to have to combine storylines and characters to make the film more engaging. The Warcraft movie attempted that, though I think it could have used some work. Same thing with Spider-Man (2002). Or Jaws (1976).

I understand your enthusiasm and excitement for this movie. But for me there exist too many negative things, flaws and disappointing maneuvers done from writing staff to have high expectations for it.

Everything in this movie screams for me how its going to be another generic movie with legendary pokemon with no real lasting legacy and impactful messages delivered through it.

Bulbasaur and Squirtle are confirmed. You outright said that 'iconic' Pokemon are missing when they're not. That's some backtracking you're doing.
And Muk and Kingler aren't iconic or major. Hell, they were forgotten for 150+ episodes!
This is a movie. They can stuff everything into it.

And how much focus do you honestly expect that this two receive when basically through whole movie only Charizard and Pikachu will receive proper demonstration. Talking about discrimination among Kanto starters

As for others, fact that likes of Muk and Kingler(who are actually highly liked and missed by many demanding to see them again contrary some belief)cannot receive proper appearance and recognition even in anniversary movie says a lot about how much writers and directors value Ash pokemon and care for those they used to write for.

This isn't a good thing.

I can say that you are being narrow minded, assuming that the new characters are bad, by your own logic.
I'll myself criticise the movie if the characters are bad, which they're currently not. You come of as highly hypcritical there.

I never said new characters are bad(theyre neither good or bad on their own since movie hadn't aired yet), but do they seem generic to me? Were they unneeded when we already had two perfect highly popular, natural and iconic characters to be included in movie about Kanto? Do they seem as unfitting for anniversary movie set in Kanto which symbolize pokemon roots?Yes, and im standing behind my words.
There exist difference between hypocrite and being practical. Because i don't see how are this new characters more marketable and recognizable than Misty and Brock were.

On other hand certain people stubbornness and refusal that movie or pokemon series could be interesting and entertaining with Misty and Brock acting like new characters will do everything so much "better". Classifies as its selfexplanatory.

Last edited:
As for others, fact that likes of Muk and Kingler(who are actually highly liked and missed by many demanding to see them again contrary some belief)cannot receive proper appearance and recognition even in anniversary movie says a lot about how much writers and directors value Ash pokemon and care for those they used to write for.

There's so much stuff you can put into a 3 hour or less movie.
AND shouldn't an anniversary be about the whole of Pokemon? By your logic, I can easily demand the appearances of Staraptor and Infernape since those happen to be my most loved Pokemon and they 'cannot receive proper appearance and recognition in an anniversary movie'.

I think you have a warped idea about Anniversary. If Brock and Misty would've been there, it still wouldn't celebrate the entire franchise. They probably chose new characters to appear neutral towards all regions, since if Brock and Misty were included, people would requires x character.

New movie footage and music. And I can say that the animation and character expressions are gorgeous. It really does feel like something out of Studio Ghibli production in terms of atmosphere and style. And that puts a smile on my face.

Oh, and first manga/movie difference: Ash is clearly wearing pajamas rather than his trainer outfit in this trailer.

Oh my god. That animation.

I love that trailer. The animation looks so clear and crispy, as well as looking "classic". Also, the fact that they reference Ash running in a pajama is a neat bonus.

Though, if the part about Cross "replacing" Gary and Ash meeting him later, maybe after Charmander has been left behind, is true, that makes me wonder... how will the whole thing be handled, before and after Ash getting Pikachu? He surely won't be meeting Gary and his entourage at Oak's lab, if that is the case, and I somewhat doubt there will be a crowd to witness Ash's departure. So, perhaps he will just meet his mother who will bring his clothes and backpack to him?

The animation and the song are both gorges and they fit well together!

I see that they're still treating the retelling of the first episode as the main feature, as if the new content weren't very important.

Yes, because they're famous for their anti-spoiler policy. Not to mention that some glimpse of the Mt. Tensei storyline wouldn't spoil anything.

Well, in a week we may (and for may, I mean "most likely will") finally get some info from the pre-screeners, so I suppose it's only a matter of waiting a bit more.

Hopefully there won't be too many spoilers floating around, though. I want to go there mostly unspoiled.

You're going to watch the movie in Japan? In that case, don't browse this thread after Wednesday since the major details are going to be spoiled.

They could still show off scenes of Makoto and Souji (or the Rocket trio!!!!!!!) without spoiling anything. Unless this movie's plot is just *that* interesting that they can't show off 30 more seconds of the new content without spoiling anything, which I doubt.

It would be cool if during the Spearow chase scene we saw a brief glimpse of Misty fishing just like in EP001 but Ash either runs/swims past her without interacting or even seeing her. It'd be a cool cameo and would be an obvious point of divergence from the main canon.

And that was a beautiful song. I'm glad they're not doing some pre-teen girl group pop ending this time.

It would be cool if during the Spearow chase scene we saw a brief glimpse of Misty fishing just like in EP001 but Ash either runs/swims past her without interacting or even seeing her. It'd be a cool cameo and would be an obvious point of divergence from the main canon.
I wouldn't count on it when even Gary is being replaced by Cross at Oak's lab of all places.

Oh I'm definitely not expecting it, all of the "20th anniversary" stuff this franchise has done recently has painfully taught me not to expect anything referencing the past any more. It's just a nice thought is all, though I do hope they have some kind of point of obvious divergence from the main canon, whatever it may be, instead of just "oh here's Ho-Oh dropping a feather randomly".

J̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶g̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶n̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶t̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶m̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶a̶c̶t̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶;̶-̶;̶

What even you people trying to say? "They don't showcase scenes with Makoto and Soji because they secretly hate their parts in the movie"? I doubt that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom