• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Marina in the new episodes?

FabuVinny said:
The idea that they are the same is fanon.

We know for a fact that there were no plans to dub The Legend of Thunder when the Silver Conference was being dubbed. As far as the dub goes, the people he calls to are no one we ever meet.

So then who were they? Why would "Jackson" be saying hi to "Yoshi" and "Dani" instead of "Jimmy" and "Marina?" I mean, Jimmy and Marina are to Vincent what Misty and Brock are to Ash. In fact, Vincent even had a wild crush on Marina! If "Yoshi" and "Dani" really are two different people, then who the hell are they? And why would Vincent be saying hi to them, but NOT Jimmy and Marina? That would be like Ash saying hi to, say, Tracey and Todd/Snap instead of Misty and Brock.

And then there's Vincent himself. Why would he be going around calling himself Vincent in the special but then Jackson in the actual tournament? The theory I've heard, which is really grasping at straws, is that Jackson is supposed to be Vincent's last name. If that's the case, then why would he be going around using only his last name? He has no reason to.

And even if we were to believe the bullshit theory, then does the same apply to Eugene? Are you proposing that the character's full name is then "Eugene Eusine?"

Face it, 4Kids just screwed up. Plain and simple.

Last edited:
I hope this means Fabulance will appear during the Final Galaxy Battle now!

*sarcasm*

EDIT: Well, perhaps Jackson was giving a nod out too Yoshi from his days working at Nintendo, and the lovely Danielle Panabaker?

I know...

Shirona getting one Fukamaru filler with her Gablias anyone?

It would be pretty silly to have the G/S/C girl all the way in the D/P episodes. That would be a little too outragous.
Since we have almost enough proof of G/S coming to DS, they'll probably send Ash there. Why he would need to go there, I still don't know, but they could put Marina in the main cast, providing that they don't pull a FR/LG and make new trainers.

And Dani and Yoshi could be close family or something, so of course he would want to say hi.

What? GS coming to DS? o_O???

Enlarged pic of the one with Marina. PiPikachu on IRC shared this, and I wanted to share it here too. =X
marinann0.jpg

Even if it's a cameo for Marina, I'm surprised they made her show up.. advertising a Poketchi. Wooow. Of all people.. XD I love continuity when it happens. Makes you feel like watching all the episodes/specials/movies all this time give you that... knowledge of all that is Pokemon. o_O

Since we have almost enough proof of G/S coming to DS, they'll probably send Ash there. Why he would need to go there, I still don't know, but they could put Marina in the main cast, providing that they don't pull a FR/LG and make new trainers.

And Dani and Yoshi could be close family or something, so of course he would want to say hi.

Anyway, I hope they decide to bring back many oldies due to the new evos of previous Pokemon (Phantom with Yonoir, Lilly with Donkarasu, ect...)

Instead of going through the trouble of redubbing LoT, they should just redub "Tie One On".

We're going to get plenty of Contests in the main series, seeing even more in specials would be overkill.
All of her contest quest as you thought we would get would be overkill. One contest where we see some Pokémon that are nothing like Hikari's would not be a problem.
May's VA was fired and she's probably moving on to other anime much like Misty's VA did, so there's no point in hiring her again for some oddball special.
See, here's the thing: After everyone assumed that Gary's VA left after Johto, Gary returned for a hoso and then the two episodes right at the end of AG. As for Misty's VA, she was perfectly happy to return for ten episodes scattered throughout AG. Listen to how the 4Kids VAs enjoyed their roles. I'm sure they would have been happy to return in such circumstances too.
If there is a GS remake, then fine, but I guarentee that's not the reason May was dumped in Johto.
I await the evidence for how this can be guaranteed.

Face it, 4Kids just screwed up. Plain and simple.
No, you're just too blinded in your bias against 4Kids to accept that there is a logical explanation beyond they simply "screwed up".

It just goes back to the original point anyway. PUSA has to come up with a dub canon answer should the G/S/C cast make an appearance and neither side is going to be happy until then.

I think he meant in the original hour-and-a-half form instead of split into three episodes... Although I believe it was like that on the UK Chronicles DVDs.

We need an LoT redub. Like, now. Maybe if we do end up with G/S remakes they could redub it then. *shrug*

UK Chronicles DVD Version was just cut-and-join version of already cut TV episodes. So, yes, it'd be nice to redub it... but they prolly won't do it. I'd say that WHOLE Chronicles needs redubbing, more or less.

But that's not likely to happen.

And why would Vincent be saying hi to them, but NOT Jimmy and Marina? That would be like Ash saying hi to, say, Tracey and Todd/Snap instead of Misty and Brock.

As Ash travels with Brock almost all the time, it'd be no reason to greet him in TV. Being Ash, I'd personally greet former "twerps" in TV if i had an occasion.

But yes, it's obvious 4kids screwed up. And PUSA is at least correcting their mistakes, while all english-speaking countries still show "Arbok evolves into Seviper!" thing, that would be EXTREMELY easy to fix - if not redubbed, then just cut. But nooo.

All of her contest quest as you thought we would get would be overkill. One contest where we see some Pokémon that are nothing like Hikari's would not be a problem.

Well I thought the main reason she might have been featured is because May, Drew, Harley and Saori have a completely different storyline than Hikari and they're interesting enough to continue to be followed. Not to mention the popularity of May/Drew/Harley is extremely high in Japan.

But then when it became apparent that we're not going to see any new specials, I gave up about seeing that. I assume the writers want us to pay attention to only the NEW coordinator rather than the old one, which is why May hasn't even been referenced in D/P yet. I wouldn't be surprised if she fades away into obscurity even more than Misty has over the years. It's a shame that the writers used her only as a marketing tool, (to advertise R/S, FR/LG, and a pre-D/P advert with Munchlax), but once she had no more use, she was removed. There's no reason to focus on two coordinators, May really has no reason to ever be shown again. She's essentially become a filler character.

See, here's the thing: After everyone assumed that Gary's VA left after Johto, Gary returned for a hoso and then the two episodes right at the end of AG. As for Misty's VA, she was perfectly happy to return for ten episodes scattered throughout AG. Listen to how the 4Kids VAs enjoyed their roles.

True, I'm sure she'd come back for a few eps if the writers wanted her to, but that's not going to happen at this rate. As I said, two coordinators is redundant. Unlike Misty, May isn't different enough from Hikari to warrent being shown again. They're both coordinators, and the new one is the heroine of D/P, so why should the writers care about an old R/S coordinator? It's a shame the writers have this way of thinking, but they basically threw away everything they were working toward in AG. You can basically go from Johto to Shinou now and you wouldn't miss a thing since the AG characters were just filler.

I await the evidence for how this can be guaranteed.

We'll see as the months go by and we never see May's quest in Johto. Even if there is a G/S remake, they're not going to magically make specials in the middle of May's Contest arc. If they were to follow her, they would have done it from the beginning instead of the middle.

May, just like Misty, aren't important enough for the writers to show anymore. There's a reason why they didn't even get cameos in the D/P opening. (as well as Max). At least I'm able to realize this about May early on, unlike the Misty fans who desperately thought she would come back to the anime someday region after region, only to be shot down by the writers again and again.

Being a pessimist isn't any better than being an optimist if you are still obnoxious about it.

Why would the opening show Tracey, yet not Misty, May and Max? While Tracey has taken the permanent role of secondary character, those three are still under the role of "ex-main characters". Misty appeared in AG openings after the first and all three will appear in later D/P openings. And precedent certainly shows that all three won't be forgotten.

Misty appeared in AG openings after the first and all three will appear in later D/P openings. And precedent certainly shows that all three won't be forgotten.

Misty appeared in the Battle Frontier openings, not any of the Hoenn ones. And the only reason she appeared in the latter was because she got three episodes at the start of BF. Misty's face appearing on a card for 1 second barely counts in the second opening anyway. It's not a big deal.

No, you're just too blinded in your bias against 4Kids to accept that there is a logical explanation beyond they simply "screwed up".

Well, that is the logical answer. I mean, didn't a different group dub Chronicles? They didn't seem like the regular dub crew.....

If they didn't then how do you explain as to how Hun was a woman instead of a man when he CLEARLY looks like one.

How do you explain them giving characters Pokemon that they wouldn't even have (Ritchie with an Eevee)

How do you explain them altering storylines any chance they had.

Face it, they screwed up. Whether you like it or not, that's the truth

FabuVinny said:

Then what is the "logical explanation?" I'd like to know what explanation you could come up with, espeicially since you've failed to come up with even one counter-argument to the post I made detailing why I think the mismatched names is due to a simple screw-up.

Besides that, any explanation you could come up with wouldn't be an "undeniable fact," like you claimed it would be in your first post in the thread.

Also, I don't have a "bias" against 4Kids. When 4Kids does good, I'll pat them on the back for it. When they screw up, I'll call them out on it. It's that simple.

And in this case, 4Kids screwed up. It doesn't matter if the continuity screwed up was between the Japanese version and the English version or between an older dub episode and a newer dub episode...either way, the writers in the dub messed up.

Blindly going around saying that "4Kids always screws up" or that "4Kids can do no wrong" is pretty stupid, in my opinion.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom