• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Evolution

What is your favorite Mega Evolution?

• Total voters
Re: Mega Evolution Discussion

I'm kinda starting to think Scizor would've made a nice Scyther Mega Evolution.

I was originally of the assumption that Mega Evolutions are new species due to the fact that they are considered a kind of evolution despite the temporary state, but apparently, the name 'Kangaskhan' showed up in the VGC footage, so it's confirmed to be nothing more than a different name for forms. I'm disappointed. Just imagine if these were considered average forms. I guarantee you there would be so much more hate for them than there is now. Look back at Mega Mewtwo's April reveal when everyone was saying that 'tampering with iconic Pokemon is inexcusable.'

Well, if we got a Mega forme that's basically just its child leaving the pouch, then I suppose any Mega forme is possible for any Pokemon. Scizor is not too particularly surprising though.

It's a bit more than that. For Mega Kangaskhan the baby Mega Evolves instead of the main Kangaskhan.

Mega evolutions are definitely form changes with a different name.

Also, I do like Mega Kanghaskan. I want more like it. Simple, but still pretty awesome. Kinda the reason Lucario is my least favorite atm, there's just way too much going on with its design.

Also, this obviously kills the rumor that you have to have the Hidden Ability of a Pokemon to Mega Evolve it like having to have Speed Boost Blaziken to get Mega Blaziken. There's no way for Kangaskhan to get the Parental Bond ability, so it must change on evolution for all Megas.

Well, if we got a Mega forme that's basically just its child leaving the pouch, then I suppose any Mega forme is possible for any Pokemon. Scizor is not too particularly surprising though.

It's a bit more than that. For Mega Kangaskhan the baby Mega Evolves instead of the main Kangaskhan.

Well yes I get that. I just find Mega Kangaskhan to be anti-climatic. Huge transformation occurs, and the most that happens is the baby finally leaving its pouch and looking a little more grown up. It takes an entire Mega Evolution for the baby to grow, which itself is only temporary?

Don't get me wrong. I don't outright hate this Mega forme. My response to it is mostly sarcastic. It's certainly a lot better than whining and complaining that Baby Kangaskhan isn't it's own Pokemon species, although I'm sure there will still be complaints about that.

Mega evolutions are definitely form changes with a different name.
It's a unified mechanic, which makes it so things like abilities which shut down Mega Evolutions possible, which could be interesting in of itself.

Has anyone else noticed mega lucario has the same diamond pattern in his arms that yveltal has on its wings? He also gains a red coloring like yveltal has and the yellow Y on his chest looks like the Y used in the official pokemon y logo. I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist but I wonder if there's a connection.

This is interesting, but now it's sort of like a "hidden" evo chain. I'm glad the baby is out of the pouch now.

Now I kind of want more in this vein, like Mega Farfetch'd where it's leek evolves into some sort of amazing giant living sword that looks like a wooden Honedge.

I have a theory about mega evolutions: pokemon are born with 2 packets of energy( at max) wich they use in order to evolve. When a pokemon reach its third stage, the packets turns without energy. Mega stones can fill them a little, offering energy enough for them change for a while, but not enought to actually evolve. So, they become only mega forms of themselves for a while, not a different pokemon. Maybe baby kanghaskan evolves to kanghaskan by an undiscovered item, wich would give it energy enough to evolve, but magastone is not the right item, so it stops evolving while its midway of baby form and kanghaskan form. Look at it, it looks more like kanghaskan now, but its not exactly like it yet. Blaziken is a third stage pokemon, so it alread consumed all its energy. Mega stones doesnt give it energy enough to evolve a fourth time.

Has anyone else noticed mega lucario has the same diamond pattern in his arms that yveltal has on its wings? He also gains a red coloring like yveltal has and the yellow Y on his chest looks like the Y used in the official pokemon y logo. I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist but I wonder if there's a connection.

Blaziken's new head feather design looks like an X. I think that they both might be circumstantial, I'm sure we'll find out the origin of these mega-evolutions once the games are released.

I see we have MegaKangaskhan.

Hmm, I sort of like the idea. Both Kangaskhan and it's child fighting, not bad. I seriously hope they give the new Ability, Parental Bond, to some paternal Pokemon. (Or maybe they’ll give it to some male Pokemon who were put with a female and produced an egg.) I just simply adore father and child relationships. ;_;

Mega is completely different from forme change. There is no unified concept in forme change except that the Pokemon simply change. Except for Rotom, Zen Mode Darmanitan and Kyurem, which has increased BST, all forme changes are just gimmick and in the majority of legendary cases, is an alternative to evolution. But Mega is a buff up, it's so much of a threat that there is only 1 allow per team and I'm sure the Mega Stone is just a way to avoid overpower by taking away that item slot. Looking at Mewtwo in the movie, we can be sure that in the anime, no Mega Stone is required for the Megalution.

Last edited:

No comments about my mega evo theory... that sad...

Also, this obviously kills the rumor that you have to have the Hidden Ability of a Pokemon to Mega Evolve it like having to have Speed Boost Blaziken to get Mega Blaziken. There's no way for Kangaskhan to get the Parental Bond ability, so it must change on evolution for all Megas.
May I ask why? It's perfectly feasible that only Kangaskhan with the Inner Focus ability, its hidden ability, are able to Mega Evolve.

You know, if moves like Knock Off and Trick are able to remove Mega Stones, and if that will cause the Pokemon holding them to revert back to their original state, then Sableye will become the best check to Mega Pokemon.

How, you ask?
Well its Dream World ability, Prankster (all non-direct attacking moves become priority moves), will hopefully be available in X & Y.
Then combine that ability with the move Switch, and make Sableye hold an Iron Ball.
Sableye will move first when using Switch, removing the Mega Pokemon's Mega Stone and replacing it with an Iron Ball.
This will remove the opponent's large power up and effectively half their speed.
Then, follow up next turn with a priority Will-O-Wisp, halfing the Mega Pokemon's (or now regular Pokemon's) attack stat, and you have completely crippled their strategy in 2 turns.
BOOM.

(I just hope that removing the Mega Stone will make them de-volve.)

You know, if moves like Knock Off and Trick are able to remove Mega Stones, and if that will cause the Pokemon holding them to revert back to their original state, then Sableye will become the best check to Mega Pokemon.
How, you ask?
Well its Dream World ability, Prankster (all non-direct attacking moves become priority moves), will hopefully be available in X & Y.
Then combine that ability with the move Switch, and make Sableye hold an Iron Ball.
Sableye will move first when using Switch, removing the Mega Pokemon's Mega Stone and replacing it with an Iron Ball.
This will remove the opponent's large power up and effectively half their speed.
Then, follow up next turn with a priority Will-O-Wisp, halfing the Mega Pokemon's (or now regular Pokemon's) attack stat, and you have completely crippled their strategy in 2 turns.
BOOM.
(I just hope that removing the Mega Stone will make them de-volve.)

I don't see that quite happen, remember Arceus, people thought it would be OK to knock off the plate, too, but... Then, even thought ambiguous, the Japanese official website stated that メガシンカをしたポケモンは、バトルが終了すると元に戻るが、バトル中に元に戻ることはない。(Pokemon that Mega Evolve will return to their original form after the battle has ended, but they don't return to their original form during the battle.)

While I despise the whole Mega Evolution idea, because I find it stupid and unnecessary, I have to admit that the Mega Kangaskhan concept is very cool. That baby is finally useful for something. I do think Kangaskhan should change a little bit during the evolution process, though.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom