• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Evolution

What is your favorite Mega Evolution?

• Total voters
Re: Mega Evolution Discussion

No idea, but then, why would you want to?

It would matter for the fights. For example, Mega Ampharos has a weakness to Ice, but if you could revert, then he loses that weakness.

And it's not a completely groundless theory, since Mewtwo could go back and forth from his Mega-form in the movie...

I sincerely do like that news of the Mega evolution. But I would have liked it more if just third-stage fully evolved Pokémon and legendaries would have gone through it. I mean, Pokémon like Mawile and Absol deserved a normal evolution, not a Mega to me.

I did a little check and it doesn't seem like they can revert. You can see it in this video,
[video=youtube;CeXFvu88_bs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeXFvu88_bs#at=36[/video]

the Mega Mewtwo doesn't have any button for the evolution as opposed to how normal Mewtwo does.

Has it been stated whether or not you can freely change back into the normal form yet?

Serebii and Bulbapedia have stated that it's not permanent, and requires a Mega Stone. Whether it's 100% true, I can't say.

Sources: Serebii.net, bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net

The evolutions look cool, but it's just another gimmick. Nothing I will ever care about.

They seem to be as gimmick-y as regular evolutions, in a way that they change the forms of Pokémon in order to power-up them, the only different is that Mega are temporary and in-battle only. I take you don't care about regular evolution as well?

I care about normal evolution, because it's permanent, and has been an important aspect, since day 1; I always look forward to seeing my Pokémon evolve.

Last edited:

Hm... so what about if you switch Pokemon? Would it change back then?
@blackoutthesun; I was referring to in battle. Mega Evolutions are not used outside of battle.

Can you re-phrase your question, then? Not sure what you're trying to ask.

Somebody already answered it. ^^ The question was whether or not you could change back to normal form within the same battle, and the answer was no. Then I asked if it automatically changed when you switched Pokemon.

Can you re-phrase your question, then? Not sure what you're trying to ask.

Somebody already answered it. ^^ The question was whether or not you could change back to normal form within the same battle, and the answer was no. Then I asked if it automatically changed when you switched Pokemon.

Oh, my apologies, then. :)

Has it been stated whether or not you can freely change back into the normal form yet?
The Japanese website states that Mega Evolution lasts until the end of battle and can't be changed back until then.

I really want a Grass/Fire Mega Sunflora. Please make it happen Game Freak I'm begging you, just make sure that one of the stats that increases is its speed and maybe its defense too.

So people are worried about Mawile because of its low HP....but I recall in past generations how Dusclops and Dusknoir, with their low HP managed to make it all the way up to the OU tier thanks to Pain Split.

Right now we've all been too focused on Mawile's Huge Power. But Mawile can also learn Pain Split (via Move tutor in Gen V), which I personally hope it will retain in Gen VI. If it gains a defense boost that matches Dusknoir, it will essentially have more HP than it while at the same time being able to pull of Pain Split strategies. But what's more interesting is the fact that Mawile can also enter and use its Intimidate to lower an opponent's attack, and then transform making itself even harder to take down forcing a switch. So now we can either Pain Split or we can attack with a Huge Power boosted attack stat (sure this only works once, but if you manage to take out one Pokemon...). But then that's not even all it gets, it has Sucker Punch. It's essentially slow enough for you to get attacked (but may not OHKO unless its SE) and get Pain Split, recovering its HP and doing massive damage, and then getting priority via Sucker Punch.

I'm really thinking this is the Mawile I'm going to use:

Mawile
Adamant Nature
- Pain Split
- Sucker Punch
- STAB Fairy move/Ice Punch
- Iron Head/Ice Punch

Let's face it, we've all been looking at MegaMawile for its jaws and criticized its HP and speed, but ignored how we can use it to our advantage. And hey, maybe it's not going to be the dragon killer of our dreams, but it may unexpectedly break a couple walls by draining their HP and then smashing through them with its STAB.

Judging by the English demo of X and Y, Hidden Abilities are not a requirement for Mega Evolution (Sycamore gave the player a Pressure Mewtwo, its regular ability).

That is a relief.

mi8tPuT.png

I like this idea I saw for Mega Poliwrath, with it becoming slightly more frog-like.

I honestly think it looks awful. Then again, Poliwrath itself have a pretty lame design.

I am no fan of the Poliwag family (or the Machop family), I doubt a Mega evolution would change my opinion.

For me, I'd like:
Luxray
Definitely. I wouldn't mind it getting a secondary typing of Dark, as its design screams sinister.
Druddigon
Gods, yes! This is one of the few Dragons I like and I'd love for it to get the Megalution treatment.

Can I get me a "HELLS YEAH!" up in here?! Seriously, that would make my lifetime. :lol:

I really like these fan made mega evolutions.
Milotic:
541d338376073ae535067af8055481c2-d6ia4kq.png
Cofagrigus:
mega_cofagrigus_by_pokeluka-d6hsevu.png
Arcanine:
mega_arcanine_by_pokeluka-d6hzq21.png
All of these megas were created by pokeluka on DeviantArt.

Last edited:

If Mega Arcanine looked like that, I would immediately start liking a Pokémon I've been disliking since the 90s. It looks so awesome, unlike regular Arcanine who looks very plain, imo. The Cofagrigus one, on other hand, looks lame and kind of ruin the point of the species.

Eh, I'd like the Arcanine a bit more without the red on its lips.

I hope Ninetails gets a Mega. Fire/Ghost hopefully, but please not Fire/Fairy.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom