• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Alolan forms?

For those who can read French:

Pokemon Ultra Soleil & Ultra Lune : De nouvelles formes régionales Alola à prévoir ? La Pokemon Company répond | melty

They said USUM occurs in the same region as SM (Alola) and thus they won't make new Alola Forms.

I don’t know if you saw any of it, but this interview kind of ignited a huge controversial meltdown across the fandom the other day, with a lot of back-and-forth over whether it was trustworthy (the site is a really clickbaity website, apparently) or properly translated. I’m not sure that a verdict was ever reached; I had to stop paying attention to it because I started getting stressed out.

What the page says is clear (no new variants because the region hasn't changed). So there is no mistranslation so much as an issue of credibility, although why any site (that did get an interview) would misquote Game Freak so blatantly is beyond me.

I know we kick the Grass/Fire idea around every generation, but maybe they could do something fun with that for the Bellsprout line. Like, while they currently are capable of spitting acid as a weapon, they mainly ingest their prey and let the acid in their bodies dissolve it. Perhaps the Alola variants, for whatever reason, changed so that they take a more preemptive approach, and spit fire at their prey in order to melt them beforehand?

The shape of Weepinbell’s body always did kinda remind me of a chili pepper, and the mouth on the three of them just looks perfect for vomiting out a huge stream of flame. Victreebel could even look like a volcano when attacking (there’s your Hawaiian gimmick), with the leaf at the top folding up to make way for a Lava Plume.

Sunflora seems like the more obvious candidate for Grass/Fire, it's sun themed so Fire type would make sense for it. But a fire spitting plant would be neat.

What the page says is clear (no new variants because the region hasn't changed). So there is no mistranslation so much as an issue of credibility, although why any site (that did get an interview) would misquote Game Freak so blatantly is beyond me.
The quote about there being no new Alolan Forms was never real. Someone who was there during the interview claimed that the topic never came up.

give me a aloan Primape, fighting/fairy, with Levitate, say thats bacuse of the fruits and that in canto they lost it.
Regular Kanto Primape would need to be faster and know Bullet Punch and Poison Jab.

Its a bit of a weird explanation. There's a bunch of Pokemon that are now in the Alolan dex that wasn't there before, they could just retcon it by saying "X pokemon was brought to Alola Y years ago and developed a new form".

It makes sense if Pokemon already in the region don't get a new form but other older Pokemon could.

I suppose that Game Freak are certainly not above that kind of retcon, but it's hardly very elegant to rely on an alternate timeline or handwave the difference.

I mean, if we’re talking about how much GF care about Dex Addition continuity, the NPC who trims your Furfrou in SM outright says that Furfrou don’t live in Alola. And yet...

140.jpg

Last edited:
I mean, if we’re talking about how much GF care about Dex Addition continuity, the NPC who trims your Furfrou in SM outright says that Furfrou don’t live in Alola. And yet...

140.jpg

Is this from one of the the USUM trailers? If yes, which one? Can't remember seeing a Furfrou in one of those, I was hoping it would be there so that would make me happy :D

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. I somehow keep missing everything nowadays ^^;

Last edited:
Oricorio, why they didnt make ice/flying taking we had a ice based island?
there needs to be a solution or explonation for that?
No beeries or flower juice on a island with ice?
some flowers can survive harsh climate.

alolan Slaking, ice/fighting ;

stats: hp 150 attack 150(-10) defense 105(+5) sp attack 100(+5) sp. def 85(+20) speed 80(-20)

abilitie: Slow Start and Defeatist (half attack and sp. attack at 50% of HP) it wouldn't get truant.

(crabominable could get vacuum wave for counter if you dont like alolan slaking new stats

alolan Vigoroth ice/fighting , Vital Spirit , Tough Claws and Speed boost (hidden)

alolan Slakoth ice, Truant,
Comatose(share with hoen slakoth), Dazzling(hidden ability-share with hoen slakoth)

Last edited:
The excuse that it's the same region doesn't really fly, especially if it's an alternate universe. It's entirely possible for Alola's habitats to have developed differently in a different timeline to the point where different Alola forms could have developed. I mean, there's 100 extra Pokemon in this timeline, so having some of them be variants makes total sense.

Joe Merrick decided not to put that French interview onto Serebii in the end.
So the site doesn't have a good reputation at all.

The excuse that it's the same region doesn't really fly, especially if it's an alternate universe. It's entirely possible for Alola's habitats to have developed differently in a different timeline to the point where different Alola forms could have developed. I mean, there's 100 extra Pokemon in this timeline, so having some of them be variants makes total sense.

Specially since Alola now appears to be drier than usual. One would expect some ground or fire type Alolan form.

If the Oddish line really do become Fairy/Poison as a regional variant, that would be pretty cool and give the line some love. I don't know how I feel about them losing their Grass typing though...(this is all hypothetical, of course).

I still want to see a Water typed, webbed and finned Growlithe and Acranine though :rolleyes:

If the Oddish line really do become Fairy/Poison as a regional variant, that would be pretty cool and give the line some love. I don't know how I feel about them losing their Grass typing though...(this is all hypothetical, of course).

I still want to see a Water typed, webbed and finned Growlithe and Acranine though :rolleyes:
Yess I want an Arcanine too but since we have already seen it in game, that has no chance of happening... Maybe gen VIII can give him a mega at least :p

Yess I want an Arcanine too but since we have already seen it in game, that has no chance of happening... Maybe gen VIII can give him a mega at least :p
You never know! They already are introducing, essentially, brand new Pokemon within a generation. New Alolan forms are totally possible. It'll just be a case like ORAS, where only USUM can interact if the new forms are utilized (i.e. Battle Spot).

I suppose that Game Freak are certainly not above that kind of retcon, but it's hardly very elegant to rely on an alternate timeline or handwave the difference.
Weren't they just handwaving the difference between the extra Pokemon between BW and B2W2? They're even in the same continuity so it's even weirder.

And I presume they're handwaving Lycanroc...and they really ddin't (nor does it look like they'll bother to) explain Zygarde (or Ash Greninja and the Hat Pikachu)

I did say that they weren't above it, but for the record most of the added Pokemon were in eastern Unova (much like in BW) and the previously inaccessible southwestern Unova. The others migrated.

Lycanroc, Ash-Greninja and Pikachu are event-exclusive anime tie-ins. Zygarde was given a weak reason to be in Alola, but that's understandable due to the mechanics behind it.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom