• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Preview of the XY Anime shown on special

That is disgusting.

Also, why are we arguing over a Fletchling that appeared for maybe two or three seconds at most? There is absolutely no indication as to whether it belonged to Serena or not, so there's basis for suggesting that it is or isn't. Even the line that she says has no bearing on whether she'll have one or not. In fact, when it comes to Serena, I feel like her relative absence in the trailer is a far more interesting topic. She shows up twice: once in the eye-catch and the other with the Feltchling that appeared. We get a number of glances of Bonnie and Clemont, but they've been very careful to limit Serena's appearances. Frankly, while I do think she's going to be a companion, there's something strange going on there and I'm very curious about why they're so dead set on limiting the Gen VI's main female character's spotlight when we're getting closer to the games release. It's interesting.

i just think she won't be in the first two episodes much if at all. the summaries are about arriving in kalos and trying to battle viola, who's gone, and then heading towards sycamore's lab (but perhaps not arriving yet). the summaries include mention that ash is turned away at lumiose gym (presumably clemont's) and that he will battle clemont before anyone else, so we can assume clemont will show up right away, but serena might be like dento -- who didnt join the group for a few weeks. it might have even been a month into the anime before he joined.

edit: re-watching it now, it does say the 1 hour special includes the garchomp raging through lumiose, and says "ash and pikachu will face this pinch (crisis) by combining power with their friends", showing clemont and bonnie with him, but not serena.

Last edited:
That is disgusting.

Also, why are we arguing over a Fletchling that appeared for maybe two or three seconds at most? There is absolutely no indication as to whether it belonged to Serena or not, so there's basis for suggesting that it is or isn't. Even the line that she says has no bearing on whether she'll have one or not. In fact, when it comes to Serena, I feel like her relative absence in the trailer is a far more interesting topic. She shows up twice: once in the eye-catch and the other with the Feltchling that appeared. We get a number of glances of Bonnie and Clemont, but they've been very careful to limit Serena's appearances. Frankly, while I do think she's going to be a companion, there's something strange going on there and I'm very curious about why they're so dead set on limiting the Gen VI's main female character's spotlight when we're getting closer to the games release. It's interesting.

i just think she won't be in the first two episodes much if at all. the summaries are about arriving in kalos and trying to battle viola, who's gone, and then heading towards sycamore's lab (but not arriving yet). the summaries include mention that ash is turned away at lumiose gym (presumably clemont's) and that he will battle clemont before anyone else, so we can assume clemont will show up right away, but serena might be like dento -- who didnt join the group for a few weeks. it might have even been a month into the anime before he joined.

That's a really good point. The one thing that makes me wonder about the timing of all this is that we see Serena and Bonney together looking at Chespin in what's presumably a lab and it seems like Ash gets a Froakie within the first two episodes, since he's using to fight Garchomp with, so presumably they cross paths before then. And since the Garchomp is apparently from Sycamore's lab, I think, they probably get there in the second episode. Actually, that doesn't necessarily mean that they have to cross paths, I suppose, but I agree that we probably won't see Serena join up for a few weeks - not until at least the third episode, presuming she does.

To be honest, I'm actually hoping that the first glance she gets of Ash is on TV, which would explain why the TV Crew filming his battle is relevant.

The fact Fletchling appeared with Serena does suggest it is her Pokémon, so I don't know why people are arguing that it isn't. Sure, you might want Ash to have Fletchling instead, but that was not what the trailer suggested and to say that the bird is owned by parents or something is stretching things a lot.

The fact Fletchling appeared with Serena does suggest it is her Pokémon, so I don't know why people are arguing that it isn't. Sure, you might want Ash to have Fletchling instead, but that was not what the trailer suggested and to say that the bird is owned by parents or something is stretching things a lot.
I hope so, Talonflame is amazing. However, why would Serena need a starter if she does have a Pokémon? Or is getting a starter one of the things you have to do?

But it doesn't. Serena's dialogue clearly indicates that she's going to Sycamore's to get her starter. While there's some ambiguity about whether she could have a Fletchling or not, there's nothing that specifically indicates that it is hers. We need more than a single scene to accurately judge whether she's going to get it or whether it's a purposeful attempt to mirror the game's opening sequence. I'm not saying she won't get one or even that it isn't hers, but I am saying that nothing about that clip indicates one way or the other.

For the record, I think it would be aces if she does get it.

I hope so, Talonflame is amazing. However, why would Serena need a starter if she does have a Pokémon? Or is getting a starter one of the things you have to do?

Maybe it is PokéSpe-like scenario, as suggested by Gotpika some posts ago? A scenario in which Serena had a Fletchling before being 10, so she couldn't really train it? Or maybe Fletchling is just following her and she only catches it after getting the starter? Perhaps she does get the starter before that scene with the bird, it is entirely possible. I don't know, I just think that until they hint that Fletchling might be Ash's, there is no reason to assume it isn't or will not be owned by Serena. They didn't show Fletchling with Ash, they didn't say anything about Ash catching it, so this speculation of Serena not being the future owner of the bird is pointless imo.

Gotpika said:
Why? What's wrong with her?

The fact that she and the rest of the BW Rocket agents (though I do realize that Matori technically debuted in Diamond & Pearl) haven't been swept under the rug and forgotten about like the terrible mistakes that they are means there's a slight chance that they're going to pull the same crap with the Rocket trio that they did in Best Wishes! Only this time they're potentially dragging Sonansu down with them.

I hope I'm overreacting and that the trio that we know and love will still be there, but man...seeing Matori again after so long gave me a sense of dread about the new series that I haven't felt in a while.
Serious Team Rocket doesn't even make sense to me given past precedents with them. BW Team Rocket was a mistake for the writers and they shouldn't return to do this. I aren't worried with Matori too much... but I am worried about the Garchomnp scene. I like two of the two-partners 8and I think I would have liekd the third if it would have aired) and missing episodes. But the former should be done with Team Flare/rest of Team Rocket and the latter can be done with funny Team Rocket with no problem. (One thing is 11 episode abscenes, another is 2-3 abscenes/10 episodes).

The poster, official website and opening are all circumstantial given past precedents. Paul, Season 2 Dawn and N were all passed off as traveling companions in some way. If the theory is correct, then Serena is an "occasional" traveling companion as well as a rival, so it stands to reason that she should be promoted. The question we should all be asking ourselves is why she is absent from several scenes featuring Ash, Clemont and Bonnie (the Garchomp, Beedril and Viola scenes). She's going to meet the gang at Sycamore's lab, so why isn't she going to stay with them afterwards?

Is the lab in the same town as hers?? Or is it in a different town like in DP.
We don't know. In the games she lives in Vaniville Town, but if the writers moved May's house to Petalburg City, they can move Serena's to Lumiose City. Why does it matter, though?

Because if they are from the same town, then obviously the prof is gonna know who the heck she is and will most likely know if she has another pokemon.
Lumiose City is huge. There is absolutely no reason why Sycamore would have to know anything specific about Serena.

Also the thing about you aren't an official trainer without a pokedex and a starter is crap as that would mean we have half our gym leaders who aren't even official trainers. Oh and Brock and Iris/Dento weren't official trainers either.
I didn't say that. I said that she needs to receive a Pokédex and be registered as a trainer; these are two independent things.
Serena: the scenes give me the impression that she is NOT a companion. The reason why she is promoted everywhere is because is the female character of the games, and that fact are promoting the aspect constantly. But the role of Serena in the first 4 sneak peeks is minimal compared to Clemont and Bonnie (who i have to get used to them and his Dedenne) and specially from our Ash ketchum.

However, we can't have only Bonnie as the female companion for practicasl purposes. There's 3 alternatives to that, 1) An Unknown charcter, 2) Viola or 3) A character from a prior series than Pokemon XY

Matori serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever. She doesn't do anything at all other than serve as a reminder that, under her watch, the Rocket trio were terrible.

I mean, by herself she's not horribly offensive, I guess, but just the fact that she's even being brought back in the first place is enough to make me question what the Rocket trio will be like in the new series.

1rkhachatyran said:
It is called a starter pokemon for a reason

In the English version, yes, but in the Japanese version the pokemon you get from the regional professor aren't given any sort of specific title. They're usually just referred to as "your first partner pokemon" or "the pokemon you get from ____-Hakase's lab."

I think that the first two episodes of XY have serious Team Rocket but the third episode onwards have funny Team Rocket (more loike Da 19 and Kanto than DP Team Rocket) Cause: the dub director wants serious Team Rocket for some reason and the eisodes is specially aimed to international audiences.

Last edited:
With Wobbuffet back, I am hoping they can have some sort of balance with Team Rocket.

Not extreme BW but not extreme DP either. I do want Team Rocket to have some relevance and not appear as often, but I want them funny as well, some episodes just don't work without goofy Team Rocket, imo.

I really hope TR appears more than in Best Wishes (more like in season N),I think wobuffet can make the balance between goofy and competent,and mayble they will use it in battle purposes.
I really liked the idea of TR beeing the culprit of garchomp breaking havoc , but then I remembered ¿did TR stoole TP informaton about controlling pokemon?,then this will make sense.

Another thing is I really hope they change TR motto animation really this sucked in episode N and DA ,and I really like that music it plays when they talk about TR I really desire its his motto theme (Its an evil version of the motto theme in OS and hoenn)

I think that the first two episodes of XY have serious Team Rocket but the third episode onwards have funny Team Rocket (more loike Da 19 and Kanto than DP Team Rocket) Cause: the dub director wants serious Team Rocket for some reason and the eisodes is specially aimed to international audiences.

I think the reason Serena is shown less is because she isn't in the first episode and debuts in the second episode.

santiagus said:
I really liked the idea of TR beeing the culprit of garchomp breaking havoc , but then I remembered ¿did TR stoole TP informaton about controlling pokemon

Well, they stole it, but they didn't have to because the Rocket-Dan's used mind control several times before and therefore already knew how to make pokemon do what they want.

Another thing is I really hope they change TR motto animation

The most recent trailer shows them with a new motto animation.

I think the reason Serena is shown less is because she isn't in the first episode and debuts in the second episode.
The Garchomp scenes take place in the second episode and she's clearly missing from them. We don't see her in later episodes (the Beedril and Viola scenes), either.

Well, they stole it, but they didn't have to because the Rocket-Dan's used mind control several times before and therefore already knew how to make pokemon do what they want.

Another thing is I really hope they change TR motto animation

The most recent trailer shows them with a new motto animation.

Yeah I know but i hope they use other nimations than that, and thank you because i didnt remembered the episodes when the used mind control devices,but now there is a huge diference , they use it on a strong pokemonlike garchomp and I think they use it to force his megaevolution

I guess it's possible that Team Rocket only wanted to catch Froakie and that Garchomp gets in the way and makes them blast off, leaving Ash to clear up the mess. We'll just have to see the episode.

I think they should just look at the Sinnoh contests. There was an arc going where Jessie achieved stuff and it didn't require her brain being gutted out.

The Garchomp scenes take place in the second episode and she's clearly missing from them. We don't see her in later episodes (the Beedril and Viola scenes), either.

I only see Ash and James in the Garchomp scene. And the only thing we see Anthe Viola scenes is her commanding Solarbeam. No one is in that scene.

I only see Ash and James in the Garchomp scene.
The summary states that Ash goes to see Sycamore. The trailer says that he will use his friends' help to deal with Garchomp, but we only see (at 1:30) Clemont and Bonnie with him.

And the only thing we see Anthe Viola scenes is her commanding Solarbeam. No one is in that scene.
A month ago we saw Clemont, Bonnie and Alexa watching Ash in a battle. It's pretty obvious that he was battling Viola.

Sorry to take the wind out of your sails, but Pikachu will never hammer everything in sight. Pikachu is experienced, it has no right to lose to Level 1 Pokemon! Battles need struggle, it wouldn't be entertaining or satisfactory to watch Pikachu defeat everything in sight easily. That type of gamey scenario has no place in the anime where a character being overpowered to a heavy degree like Ash, who has to restart and restart every saga, wouldn't work. Pikachu lost to a Snivy/Servine, that's all I remember in BW at the beginning. That's one of the reasons Charizard coming to Kalos would backfire easily, it'd never battle unless there was a really strong opponent in the wings or it would battle and be expunged more than fans could take. It's more believable at least with Pikachu being unevolved.

Hope Bunnelby wins, it's the Digging Pokemon and Ground is probably a large characteristic of the way it battles. It'd be a nice way of showing off Bunnelby's strength and Clemont's prowess as a trainer from the get go and it'd be nice to have a male traveling companion on somewhat equal footing with Ash right from the start, we've done that with females twice, Iris for a lot of the saga and May at then end with Blaziken/Sceptile.

Um they didn't got to the lab for that purpose. Mijumaru and Squirtle choose May and Ash respectively. They didn't pick them.
Which is why I likened it to Pokespe's concept of characters getting starters despite having a Pokemon already from the Professor, though the situation isn't mutual to Oshawott/Squirtle's it's similar in a sense. And it's not as if Professor Sycamore/Patrice would run out of starters to hand out, another bunch would be sent to him/her.

I don't think Pikachu should be unbeatable, I just think it shouldn't have to struggle against what are essentially baby Pokemon ( which starters have shown to be). Also, was Bunnelby really Citron's? I didn't see.

not that anyone cared about this mystery but me, but mystery solved: clemont is holding a gramophone thats emitting sound waves causing the beedrill to give chase. question is, why? failed invention or something else weird? seems to be before serena joins the group.

clemontanime14.jpg

Is being chased by a bloodthirsty swarm of Beedrill some sort of initiation ceremony for Ash's new companions?

@sunyshore; Nice catch! I guess we can look forward to Clemont's inventions :D

Serious Team Rocket doesn't even make sense to me given past precedents with them. BW Team Rocket was a mistake for the writers and they shouldn't return to do this. I aren't worried with Matori too much... but I am worried about the Garchomnp scene. I like two of the two-partners 8and I think I would have liekd the third if it would have aired) and missing episodes. But the former should be done with Team Flare/rest of Team Rocket and the latter can be done with funny Team Rocket with no problem. (One thing is 11 episode abscenes, another is 2-3 abscenes/10 episodes).
Really? From my POV Team Rocket appearing in every episode and eating up seven-plus useless minutes screentime with their predictable, reductive Pikachu stealing intrusions is a mistake. BW was the first time TR's characters and the organization were really relevant in years and they didn't appear in every episode, had a purpose and had some great moments throughout the show and were shown to be threatening and competent a lot of the times, not unlike the St.Anne arc. and Pokemon Emergency! situations in Kanto. It's especially refreshing after how flanderized their characters became in DP and Musashi's mundane Coordinator arc. It shows the writers being innovative, different and people call a lot of things in this show lazy writing. True lazy writing is recycling the same formulaic appearances every episode and not being creative, because BW has proven the show doesn't need TR to force conflict in every episode, characters like Koharu, Maya and Drago have done that just well in their roles. Plus TR have a tendency to drag the quality of an episode through the mud in more situations than one, selling candy in the Sinnoh League instead of Magmarashi battling rings a bell.

I wonder if it's possible TR are doing something with Akuroma's control information from Episode N.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom