• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

North Korea accuses South Korea of declaring war

Status
Not open for further replies.

Every Breaking Wave

Religion is a club
Reaction score
Source

Reuters said:
North Korea on Sunday accused the South of declaring war by warning earlier this month that it would launch a preemptive strike if it thought its impoverished neighbor was preparing a nuclear attack.

The angry retort from Pyongyang is the latest in what have become increasingly brittle relations between the two Koreas just as the international community tries to lure the North back to nuclear disarmament talks.

South Korea's Defense Minister Kim Tae-young said last week that Seoul would have no choice but to strike first if there were clear signs of a planned nuclear attack by the North.

"Our revolutionary armed forces will regard the scenario for 'preemptive strike' which the south Korean puppet authorities adopted as a 'state policy' as an open declaration of war," its state KCNA news agency quoted a spokesman for the armed forces general staff as saying.

North Korea has twice tested a nuclear device but there are doubts whether it already has the ability to create an atomic weapon. Military analysts say even if it did it probably does not have the technology to build a nuclear warhead small enough to sit on top of a missile.

The two Koreas are still technically at war with the North maintaining an about one million-strong military and backed by an array of artillery which could bring massive damage to the South Korean capital Seoul, barely 50 miles from the border.

The smaller South Korea army is backed by around 28,000 U.S. troops on its soil and the U.S. nuclear umbrella in the region.

"(The North's armed forces) will take prompt and decisive military actions against any attempt of the south Korean puppet authorities to violate the dignity and sovereignty of the DPRK and blow up the major targets including the commanding center," KCNA quoted the statement as saying.

"Those seeking to realize their daydream will not be able to escape an unimaginably miserable fate."

Relations between the two have plunged since conservative Lee Myung-bak became president two years ago, demanding an end to a decade of generous aid unless the North made moves to row back on its nuclear weapons program.

Late last week, the South said it hoped to see the dormant international weapons negotiations resume next month between the two Koreas, China, Japan, Russia and the United States.

The North has said it is willing to end its year-long boycott but has demanded first an end to U.N. sanctions that have further damaged its crippled economy and direct talks with the United States on a peace deal to formally end the 1950-53 Korean War.

Washington insists that the reclusive state first drop its nuclear weapons ambitions.

If North Korea attacks South Korea,united states will declare war agains North Korea.But North Korea will be wiped out from the map quickly,since United States has atomic bombs enough to completely destroy it.

I wonder what domestic relations are like in North Korea to compel them to take such a bellicose stand?

Thread title made me go OHSHIT.

North Korea would be absolutely stupid in the head to try and attack South Korea. Really, really hopin' it doesn't even get remotely close to that (even if we might already be remotely close to that).

North Korea is the sine qua non Orwellian state in the world...I get the feeling this tough talk is more directed at North Koreans rather than the rest of the world.

If North Korea attacks South Korea,united states will declare war agains North Korea.But North Korea will be wiped out from the map quickly,since United States has atomic bombs enough to completely destroy it.

This, mostly. I doubt we'd use nuclear force on North Korea unless absolutely necessary, given that we're more than capable of wiping them off the map in the conventional manner.

But yeah. Here's hoping it doesn't come to that...what's taking that pancreatic cancer so long?

The biggest issue with North Korea, honestly, is that they could and would level Seoul before any retaliation could be launched against them, resulting in loss of millions of lives, and making a gigantic impact in the already weakened global economy.

North and South Korea are always doing this! Their like two fighting children!

I thought the war never technically ended, and the DMZ exists between them as a basic "stop fighting now" line.

I thought the war never technically ended, and the DMZ exists between them as a basic "stop fighting now" line.

The DMZ is the national equivalent of two kids arguing in a sandbox, where a third kid comes and draws a line in the sand and tells one to stay on his side and the other to stay on theirs. It's effective in principle, but in reality does jack sh*t. Draw a line, and sooner or later, it's going to be crossed.

Oh no... as if the FIRST Korean War wasn't bad enough. Do these guys not learn? SK has US (no pun intended) to back them. I'm not even certain if NK has China on its side anymore.

Either way, we are talking curb stomp battle royale here, if anything were to happen. And if a 17 year old kid from the redneck capitol of the U.S can figure that out, then I'm pretty certain that the NK gov can figure it out. Which means this is just random bickering that will lead to glares and insults and a whole lot of nothing.

Reader's Digest Version: People are stupid.

Correction:17 year olds are teenagers,not kids.

But i think Hugo Chavez stupidness bothers enough.We don't need more communism stupidness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom