• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nuzlocke Challenge

On LeafGreen:
Carlos (Doduo) Lv. 28
Bruce (Hitmonlee) Lv. 31
Disco (Gloom) Lv. 32
Inferno (Flareon) Lv. 31
Hydro (Wartortle) Lv. 33
Slammo (Snorlax) Lv. 32

Doin this in Ruby
in Petalburg woods
Mudkippp (mudkip) lv 13
Wormy (Beautifly) lv 10- actually this one is not nicknamed yet... forgot to, anyone know where name rater is in ruby?
I have Zaggy the Zigzagoon w/ me too. He doesn't battle, but he's picked up rare candy, ultra ball, and 2 full heal

EDIT #1: Now in Slateport... found namerater
have
Drowner (Marshtomp) lv. 20
Sparkles (Beautifly) lv. 20
Zinger (Zubat) lv. 15 or 16 ... still doesn't know anything stronger than astonish :(
Megazapper (Minun) lv. 13
Zaggy (Zigzagoon) lv. 3- he's picked me up another ultra ball, 3 nuggets, and 3 full restores :)
Still haven't lost anyone... hope May won't kill anybody.

EDIT #2: Just beat Flannery a little bit ago
Drowner (marshtomp) lv. 33
Zinger (Crobat) lv. 31
Megazapper (Minun) lv. 30
Sparkles (beautifly) lv. 30
Eruptor2 (numel) lv.22
RIP eruptor (numel)who died from a critical from flannery's Torkoal 1 level away from evolving

Last edited by a moderator:
Definite Rules:
1 - If a pokémon faints IT IS DEAD. It must be taken to a pc and released, there are no exceptions to this.
2 - In line with the above rule, if all of your pokémon faint die its game over.
3 - Nickname your pokémon, making it all the more upsetting when they die.
4 - No out of battle healing AT ALL apart from pokecenters and other such npcs.
5 - You may only catch the first pokémon of each new route/city, new pokemon fainted? Tough shit. Wanted a pokémon that only shows up here but wasn't first? Tough shit.
6 - All legendaries must be killed or caught, stuffed in a box and never used.
7 - Battle Mode must be set to "Set" in the options. (No free switches when enemy switches)
8 - Record your journey, be it through a badly drawn mspaint comic (Which is the traditional medium) or through a story/log.

Uh...Not to sound like a pussy or anything, but according to Bulbapedia, the only "definite" rules are 1 and 5. And as far as I can tell from the comic, 2, 3, and 6. 4, 7, and 8 are all optional, as far as I can tell.

B.S. Pokemon do die. Examples: Flame on Charmanders tail goes out it eats the dust, Farfetch'd is considered rare because it was over poached.

Also in LeafGreen/FireRed (Not sure about the originals) the people in town mention that Cubone's mother was KILLED by Team Rocket, and you fight her ghost at the top of the tower.

Also the tower itself is the GRAVEYARD for dead pokemon.

I will be trying this eventually, but I currently only have one cartridge for each story and I use them to complete my 'dex, so I'll have to buy a new cartridge.

I know! I should do this for Pokemon XD!! I'll tweak the capture rules so that only those pokes can be on my team, but I can use other capped pokes for the purify only, or maybe I can only purify at the stone.

Last edited:
I'm going to attempt this.

Question. May I trade my starter for a Beldum? I will release all Pokemon required to complete the trade, and have a simple Beldum. No IVs. No specific advantageous nature.

If so, then very well. I'm trying to decide which game I should attempt to do this on - Platinum, or SoulSilver?

-S

why is it called Nuzlocke? When I get bored I might try this on one of my 3rd Gen games. Except, those are all pretty difficult the normal ways.

ナズロックのチャレンジは悪い。 ポケモンの死はだめよ。 僕はいつもやって見ない。

And if that's horrible grammar, it's because I need somebody to correct me.

I was Nuzlockin' Emerald. Until my rival killed all my Pokemon and I had to restart the entire game because you can't release all of your Pokemon and I only had six at that time.

Haha, I'm too busy with the RNG method, and IV breeding to do something like this. No thanks.

I'm going to start one not-so-strict (even getting rid of some essential rules) Platinum run.

1 - If a Pokémon faints IT IS DEAD. It will be stored in one of two boxes, "Graveyard" and "Shrine".
2 - In line with the above rule, if all of your Pokémon faint die it is game over.
3 - Nickname your Pokémon.
4 - No healing in-battle.
5 - You may only catch one Pokémon in each area, but may choose to not capture the first and instead capture the second. No thirds and so on. You escape from a Bidoof and encounter a shiny Shinx? Go ahead, capture it. You capture a Bidoof and encounter a shiny Shinx? Tough luck.
6 - Legendaries can be caught and used as long as they are with at least the third lowest level in the team, and rule 5 applies.
7 - Only up to three items may be bought per town, four per city, and five at the Pokémon league.
8 - Only up to two Pokémon with the same type, primary or secondary.
9 - To face the following, your party's Pokémon must be in these levels at entrance:
Oreburgh Gym: 8-18
Eterna Gym: 16-26
Hearthome Gym: 20-30
Veilstone Gym: 26-36
Pastoria Gym: 30-40
Canalave Gym: 35-45
Snowpoint Gym: 38-48
Sunyshore Gym: 45-55
Sinnoh League: 45-70
Any Pokémon not in these margins must be deposited in the "Tavern".
10 - HM02 Fly may not be used.
11 - Only TMs given by Professor Rowan and the Gym Leaders may be used.
12 - The following Pokémon are banned:
Alakazam
Roserade
Golem
Cranidos
Rampardos
Shieldon
Bastiodon
Machamp
Burmy
Wormadam
Mothim
Combee
Vespiquen
Heracross
Aipom
Ambipom
Gengar
Blissey
Spiritomb
Munchlax
Snorlax
Feebas
Milotic
Manaphy
Rotom
Rhyperior
Dusknoir
Porygon2
Porygon-Z
Scizor
Electivire
Magmortar
Any Pokémon not in the Platinum Dex.
13 - You may not trade.
14 - No Pokémon may hold items.

Wow. That whole thing seems like the most trite, boring, frustrating, and un-fun way to play Pokemon. I mean, I can understand challenges, but thats going beyond the limit.

I'd never do a Nuzlocke. Seriously, kudos to all that do, but that just borders on masochism. I play the games for fun. Heck, I cringe every time I've to grind a few levels (I generally oppose grinding), much less having to discard a Pokemon if it dies.

I'd never do a Nuzlocke. Seriously, kudos to all that do, but that just borders on masochism. I play the games for fun. Heck, I cringe every time I've to grind a few levels (I generally oppose grinding), much less having to discard a Pokemon if it dies.

I played Legacy of the Wizard for hours as a kid. For fun.

I should think that my being a gaming masochist is obvious.

i started a nuzlocke run on hg about a week ago was doing alright a few losses (most notably my starter.....didn't even make it to the second gym)

but those who do try it have to be emotionally disconnected because you grow so attatched to them.

and in case you were wondering i had to start again because my pokemon were raped by jasmines( run out of routes to catch pokemon so i only had a machoke,tauros and pidgeotto to use)

I've actually completed a LeafGreen run (admittedly with a bit of luck, my guys were like 10 levels lower than theirs), and I'm doing an Emerald one right now.

Grinding is a pain.

Also, just the other day, my Pelipper was hit by a critical Thunder. While Flying.

Definite Rules:
[blahblahblah incorrectness]

You reeeeeaaaally need to edit this. There are only two main rules for Nuzlocke:
1. If a Pokémon faints it is dead and must be released. If you have no more pokémon to use, the run is over.
and
2. You can only capture the first pokémon you run into in each area. You kill it, tough nuts, no pokémon there for you.

Common optional rules/alterations are as follows:
Rule 1 Addendum: Perma-boxing rather than releasing.
Rule 2 Addendum: Ignore duplicate pokémon/pokémon lines, either capture the next non-dup or no pokémon for that area.
3. Nickname everything, following a theme or otherwise
4. No Legendaries
5. Healing limitations like:
--Only X amount of pokécenter uses per (something)
--No leaving the gym to heal
6. Pokémart limitations like:
--Only can buy X pokéballs per town
--Only can buy X healing items per town
--Can only carry X amount of items at a time

Legendaries are 100% okay so long as they are truly the first pokémon you're able to catch (ex: Dialga/Palkia/Giratina are completely free game as they're the only pokémon that show up on/in Spear Pillar/the Distortion World) and that you don't have other rules limiting them. I don't know where you got all these other rules (though I have seen them used), but there are only two REQUIRED nuzlocke rules.

Personally I never thought I'd do one, I was like "but my pokémon are my friends, why would I want to do this" And theeeen BOREDOM STRUCK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT (literally) and I ended up making a comic out of a friend's log for their Nuzlocke and had a lot of fun so I wanted to do my own run so I could draw a comic for myself. Aaaand that's how I started Lily's story. About 4 months later and I have Pearl in-progress with Sapphire, HeartGold, and White planned out to continue the story. And somehow I managed to make the top 10 fan comics on the forum's (Nuzlocke forums) poll a couple months ago too (I still don't know how), as well as being added to the main page's fan comics (though I keep forgetting to send Nuzlocke my comics).

And to those who think "It's a game, I just want to have fun with it!", I thought that too at first. That it wouldn't be fun to be scared shitless about losing a pokémon at any moment. But actually, it IS fun. Yeah, I've gotten really sad after losing someone, but that made me even more motivated to get revenge on whoever the heck it was that just knocked off one of my team (Had a slight dislike of Pidgeys after one killed Joey (which was remedied by Lynn though, girl took me through the E4 <3), my Rattata and currently HATE Croagunk and anything pertaining to them because their species has caused two deaths). There's a lot at stake when running a Nuzlocke run, which gives it a much different sort of thrill compared to just playing regularly. You put faith into pokémon you might not really like or have ever used before and sometimes end up finding a new favorite pokémon as they take you through to the E4. Since this, I've had a newfound respect for Beedrill, Gastrodon, Haunter, and many others.

edit:
Also, soft-resetting

THE NUZLOCKE GODS FROWN ON YOU.

Seriously, I swear sometimes it's like the game KNOWS you're running a Nuzlocke run. Dare to soft-reset/shut off your game because you don't want to lose someone and BAM it takes revenge on you by either killing it again or fucking you over in some way long down the line. Hell, criticals are everywhere you don't want them when running a Nuzlocke (or, in the least, you notice them more). Don't even get me started on Hyper Fang criticals; every time I see Hyper Fang being used I hold my breath.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom