• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nuzlocke Challenge

No offense dude, but being a semi-serious Nuzlocker, I can tell you that that modification kinda destroys one of the three main points of Nuzlockeing: gaining respect for Pokemon you would never have considered using before. You'd be suprised at how many Raticates, Butterfrees, and Electrodes make it to he Bros4Life tier on Nuzlocke forums.

Actually the reason why that is is because there are a few pokemon that Ilove having, and only one of the ones you named I might even debate on using anyways. Basically the modifications you are talking about is just so I can get a pokemon since I only know of it being in that area, and not accessable elsewhere. Like I rather getting an Abra while it is basic, so I won't get a Kadabra, and I only know of 1 place that there is a Abra, and that is the route to the southwest of Violet City. By the way, the only one I would ever consider using is actually the butterfree, and that is because I love how butterfree uses all sorts of different types in it's move set.

I've started my second yesterday, and am blogging about it. My started in Tarzan (Chimchar), and am currently grinding.

Actually the reason why that is is because there are a few pokemon that Ilove having, and only one of the ones you named I might even debate on using anyways. Basically the modifications you are talking about is just so I can get a pokemon since I only know of it being in that area, and not accessable elsewhere. Like I rather getting an Abra while it is basic, so I won't get a Kadabra, and I only know of 1 place that there is a Abra, and that is the route to the southwest of Violet City. By the way, the only one I would ever consider using is actually the butterfree, and that is because I love how butterfree uses all sorts of different types in it's move set.

I don't think you understand. My point is hat you aren't supposed to be able to use the Pokemon you normally use, just what the game throws at you. The three points of Nuzlocking are to: Make it more of a challenge, promote emotional bonding, and to gain respect for Pokemon you would never have used before, such as a Raticate(that baby gets hyper fang at level 16!) or Electrode(Sniff... RIP Elijah... Lv 23-39. "paralysedKYOGRE used HYDRO PUMP! It's a critical hit!")

I'll try doing this once I decide to replay LeafGreen or Diamond again. I just have one question though. If one of your pokemon "dies" then can you catch another one in a different area to replace it or can you only catch the first 5 pokemon you run into?

You can catch any Pokemon you want as long as it's the first you see in an area. Some runs have a "no dupes clause" and others have one that prevents the use of Repels to stall to get a Legend or a Pokemon that only appears on the later floors, and some have a "no Legendaries clause" too.

but let's say you caught a weedle and evolved it to a cascoon. then you go to a different route and the first pokemon you find is a cascoon, do you have to catch that?

but let's say you caught a weedle and evolved it to a cascoon. then you go to a different route and the first pokemon you find is a cascoon, do you have to catch that?

I think the standard rules say you can only catch the first pokemon you see on a route, and you're just in bad luck if it's a duplicate, but personally I always allow myself to catch the second if I already have the first.

Also, if you caught a Weedle and evolved it to a Cascoon you've been feeding it the wrong kinds of berries.

I think the standard rules say you can only catch the first pokemon you see on a route, and you're just in bad luck if it's a duplicate, but personally I always allow myself to catch the second if I already have the first.

Also, if you caught a Weedle and evolved it to a Cascoon you've been feeding it the wrong kinds of berries.
Or the most awesome kind
"Congratulations! Your Magikarp evolved into Typhlosion!"

Hey, if Arbok evolves into Seviper then I don't see how Weedle can't evolve into Cascoon xP

Anyway I'll give this a try soon. I'll probably fail miserably but I'll give it a shot xP I gotta see what game I should play first.

Yeah, for some the dupes clause is "tough shit no Pokemon for you!" but for others it's "I'm a little pussy so I'm gunna wun away an find a diffewent Pokemon. :3" kinda thing, but it always applys to evos and prevos if in effect.

Here's the problem with Nuzlocke for me: the rules are really ridiculous,

you can lose alot of good pokemon.
God forbid if you get a shiny and it faints, i would break that faint=dead rule in that case
your pokemon would be really unevely trained since you have to have the battle set to "set"
no level grinding=failure, undertrained Pokemon.
you cant use items?

i have half a mind to try a Nuzlocke and blog it just to prove my points. It seems like that kind of thing actually ruins the game, not makes it interesting.

God forbid if you get a shiny and it faints, i would break that faint=dead rule in that case
your pokemon would be really unevely trained since you have to have the battle set to "set"
you cant use items?

i have half a mind to try a Nuzlocke and blog it just to prove my points. It seems like that kind of thing actually ruins the game, not makes it interesting.

Actually, the only rules to Nuzlocking are "fainted pokemon=dead" and "only catch the first pokemon on a route". The OP added all that other stuff for some reason.

you cant use items?

Shiny and faints=dead? No, that's when dead = put ina box called "graveyard" to be traded over to a game that isn't going through the challenge.

I liked going through this challenge. It actually made me not so annoyed with Zubats since I caught one and actually used it. I still haven't finished it and I think I may just do this on White as well for the first time around play.

Seriously, it's just a different way to play than the usual way. I still have my other cartridges for regular game play.

you cant use items?

That's ironic that you mention the COMPLETELY OPTIONAL AND, IMO, UNADVISED no grinding rule because the banner on the image at the top of Nuzlocke Forums resds "Never Give Up, Never Forget, Grind Like Hell." Perma boxing is fine too.I was releasing for emotianal impact, but Elijah had too high of a friendship. "Elijah came back. Was it worried about you?" I actually cried. (manly tears, of course.) ;_; So he rests in peace in HVN4BROS, not to be touched til I beat the E4 or quite literally die trying.

Well, I am following the rule about the first pokemon you see, except for still changing it slightly. I am making it so that if I see a pokemon, and it dies with the first hit or two, I catch the next one.

EDIT: would I be able to catch a bellsprout from somewhere Ialready caught a pokemon to trade for the onix, or would that be against the rules?

Last edited:
I dunno anymore, you're confusing me! But I would normally say no if it was a Nuzlocke w/ no or standard modifications. If you've caught something somewhere, you may never catch another thing there ever no matter what.

you cant use items?

Faints = Dead does not mean Release. You can keep them in a PC Box for dead Pokémon.
If it dies, just store it.
You don't have to put it to 'Set', I don't. It's just an optional rule.
No level grinding? Where did that come from? I spend hours grinding, there is no rules against it.
You can use items, and I do. In and out of battle. It's not a rule.

Real Rules:
1. Only catch the first Pokémon in an area.
2. If it faints, it's dead. You can no longer use it.

Unwritten official rule:
3. Nickname them all.

That's it! It's quite fun. Makes you use Pokémon you never would have thought of using.

I dunno anymore, you're confusing me! But I would normally say no if it was a Nuzlocke w/ no or standard modifications. If you've caught something somewhere, you may never catch another thing there ever no matter what.

Wel the rules says I can get the First pokemon I see per area, and the honly pokemon you really see in Violet City would be the onix. Anyways, I have already done it, and I think that it would be within the rules, because I am allowed 1 pokemon per area, and the pokemon from Violet City is in need of a pokemon I can't get anytime soon axcept where I have already caught a pokemon. If you ask me, I think you would be able because Iam just getting a pokemon from another area to trade in-game for the onix.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom