• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obama DOJ argues for keeping Defense of Marriage Act

Status
Not open for further replies.
And remember that the "media" in this case was one specific blog, overblown by a user who made the title he gave the thread sound really awful.

Yes, and people believed it. I'm not arguing against the media in any form or claiming any sort of foul-play on their part, but I see what happened in this thread and want everyone to be weary of the power that the media has over them based upon their own reactions.

I'd like Zeta to come back and apologize for starting this shit storm.

Also, to those saying you won't be voting for Obama in 2012 over this, you think the Republicans will do better on this issue? This wasn't even Obama anyway. It's his Justice Department saying they defend of a law already on the books from judicial challenges. It's not an attack on gay rights.

And frankly, it's *essential* that this law be defended.

Think about it. This is a highly controversial law, that people have very strong feeling about. For the abolition to have any meaning, any power behind it, it must come either through a very ironclad judicial process, or (and that would be far better) the legistlative process.

A very ironclad judicial process means that at the very least the first trial must be bitterly fought, with the DOJ defendign the will of the people (eg, the law as voted by the representatives of the people) teeth and nail, using every legal argument in the book. Preferably, if they lose in first round, they should even appeal it all the way to the Supreme Court, to make very sure this isn't seen as just one activist judge somewhere.

Of course, it would be even better if the Obama congress just went and struck that law from the book. He said he wanted it repealed. But do you realize how many pressing business Obama has had on his desk since he took power, less than FIVE MONTHS AGO?

He has to repair all the Bush screw up, rebuild America's international relation, try to salvage large stretches of America's economy and keep unemployment from going critical, make sure Bin Laden doesn't come back for an encore of 9-11 (or another McVeigh-style bombing, what with the RW nutjobs being unhappy with an Obama presidency), close Guantanamo, make something out of that mess in the Middle East, implement health care reform, get out of Iraq, win Afghanistan...and I'm barely scratching the surface.

Last edited:
Not to mention that with every issue he's working on, he's had a number of setbacks. Unemployment has already climbed higher than his projections, he's run debt up to ridiculous amounts, we've no money for healthcare, and Congress gave him a very clear middle finger on closing Gitmo.

Let's not forget the mess that the unionized auto industry is in, and the terrible housing market.

@ Evil Figment:

I agree with you. Besides, what is Obama going to say? "Screw the law, I think we should ignore it and do what we feel is right!". Wait a minute...

I.
Cannot.
Believe.
I supported him.

I supported and trusted that man to the ends of the earth, and then THIS? Fuck that bastard. He can kiss his second term goodbye. If anyone needs me, I'll be crying quietly in my closet.

And remember that the "media" in this case was one specific blog, overblown by a user who made the title he gave the thread sound really awful.
And it was a blog that has a tenedency to waaaaaaaay overdo things.

A few years ago, AmericaBlog was pretty trustworthy. But it seems to have gone downhill so fast. (A pity, really. It used to be one of my prime news sources.)

I.
Cannot.
Believe.
I supported him.

I supported and trusted that man to the ends of the earth, and then THIS? Fuck that bastard. He can kiss his second term goodbye. If anyone needs me, I'll be crying quietly in my closet.

Good job reading the thread.

I.
Cannot.
Believe.
I supported him.

I highly doubt one disgruntled voter will honestly make the difference. And what if the Republican side don't offer much better, what then? Going to forgo your voting rights because of a technical jargon like story that major news networks don't find worthy to repeat?

I.
Cannot.
Believe.
I supported him.

Go ahead and cut off your nose despite your face.

OK. I read the rest of the thread. I apologize for being hasty to post that. I DIDN'T read the rest of the thread BEFORE that was posted. OK? OK. I apologize, and I'm OK as long as no one holds it over my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom