• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i feel like we def are probably going to get a good sizeable dex for this region with between 90 sum odd new pokemon, nothing way too big or nothing too small in number either. Either way im still really geeked ive been re watching the trailer and i must say i really do enjoy the graphics and all the "easter eggs" that i mightve missed the first go around, hopefully corcoro builds up this hype tbh

around 100 would be best, in my opinion. So you can have a few good designs for every type, for one.
I'd honestly want that over regional variants as well (putting aside my desire for an Ice/Fairy Wailmer variant based of a narwhal) as it seems pretty reasonable; not too little, not too much. However, I don;'t think Game Freak shares the same sentiment. The best we can hope for in this regard is around 90 brand new species and around 10 regional variants.

That being said, if Game Freak desires to keep the amount of new Pokémon introduced in a generation somewhat low, then they should reuse more of the Pokémon introduced in the 3DS generations to balance out the dex rather than rely on mostly Kanto again. This is especially important since the older Pokémon tended to be overshadowed both in terms of spotlight and encounter rates during their own generations. They should make up for that in Gen 8 if they choose continue with this decline in new Pokémon going forward.

Wow! That is really cool that they are doing a contest for a new move. I wonder if the move is for any steel type, or for a brand new Pokemon.

I think when the contest is over, and they choose the winner, the best way to reveal the move, would be to reveal it on a new Steel type Pokemon, or the Pokemon its exclusively on. That would be really cool.

I'm sure they're plotting it out so that the 1000th Dex entry happens either in the 25th anniversary of the franchise (probably during gen 9) or during gen 10. I could see them doing some Victini-like mythical (the whole V like 5 design).

Didn't expect Japan-only contests to return. Since they wouldn't want the move animation and the move name to be incompatible, does that mean that move animations are among the last things to be programmed?

Another possible reason why the new Pokemon counts have dropped is because 3d models take longer to create than 2d sprites.

They had all 153 Unova Pokemon ready by mid-2011 when Pokedex 3D was released and all prior 493 Pokemon by late 2012 when Pokedex 3D Pro was released. I don't really think it's that hard.

Huh. I mean, I understand with cases like Alolan Exeggutor, but the Ice Stone Pokémon and the Diglett line look and feel as if they were just altered models. They definitely fooled me in that regard.

However, this also brings me to my next point: if I can't tell that the models were done from scratch in regards to certain forms (especially in terms of idle animations), wouldn't it make more sense to just alter existing models for those cases? Or is it overall easier to just remake those models from scratch than it is for alter an existing one? I genuinely want to want to know, even if you an only give me your opinion.

Sorry if I sound a little stubborn or seem like I'm rambling. I just enjoy talking about video game development! :)
Well, it would depend on the quality of the model. XD If they had just tacked some edits on, it would be easier to just edit the original model, but the fact that it's just a reskin would be hella obvious. If you were making overall changes to the physique, though, I think it would be easier to start from scratch.

The vulpix and ninetales models seem to have changes to their overall physique that makes me think that they were remodeled. There are even some small things like the difference between Kanto and Alolan Vulpix's gait that are so minor that you wouldn't notice them, and I don't think that you would go to the trouble of changing an animation in such a small way if all you were doing was tacking edits onto the original model. That's the sort of difference that usually happens if you start over from scratch.

Note, just my opinion from being an artist and analyzing game models a bit too much. I don't do modeling myself.

Um... I respect your opinion to dislike Verlisify, but I feel that feeding him expired ingredients is a bit too much. Sure, the guy may have a big ego for no reason, but he's not that bad compared to some of the other ones (one of whom is the subject of recent drama).

Regardless, I agree that he's jumping the gun on this (being too reliant on the armor leaks here).
Verlis sucks, expired ingredients would be lenient lmfao

Hmmm when I look back at the february direct both say they were put up on the 13th, and pretty sure that's on my date, not japan's
And that was announced on the 12th. Don't they always announce a Direct before it airs? You know... so people can watch it. It's getting pretty late on the 10th in the US for an announcement to drop.

Dunno if this is significant, but normally I hear the second floor is used to host directs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom