• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who could have ever imagined that such a benign, unadorned declaration as "a pokemon game is in development for the switch", could have possibly proliferated such an immense aggregation of rumors and alleged "leaked" information before even the slightest hint of officially concrete finality? It is truly stunning, and no doubt a testament to both humankind's tenacious desire to both divulge and absorb information, as well as the endlessly burning love for the pokemon franchise. At any rate; one would hope that a massive sigh of relief will come to the hungry masses when an official beacon of hope shines itself; gently dissolving away anxieties, and guiding us slowly to the truth!
Serenade me.

Surely, those of outstanding insight into the inner machinations of Pokémon marketing may be at a greater advantage in propagating a suitable response; but, from what I've gathered, it may not be so much a matter of "why is it releasing in 2018", as it may be "why isn't it releasing in 2018". Apart from an impressive deal of speculation and possibly leaked information, (sadly) the switch game's development and possible release window of "2018-2019" is our sole foundation from which our conclusions can be drawn. However...

a) something akin to 3 years of development time has, historically, lead to a new generation, meaning 2019,and so...
b) generation 7 has existed for roughly 2(?) years? Too soon, in the opinions of many, although...
c) with the official liberation of Zeraora, generation 7 seems to be drawing to a close. Meaning...
d) generation 8 could be the next logical step in the franchise. With a...
e) switch pokemon game announced almost a year ago, with a possible release date of 2018, some conclude that...
f) generation 8 may be nearer than we had previously thought possible. However...
g) with no concrete confirmation of a 2018 release, and no information regarding the title in question...
h) newly discussed alternatives to satisfy a possible 2018 release also seem somewhat logical, because...
i) what could be considered "credible sources", with somewhat proven track records, have alluded to...
j) a generation 1 overhaul, another 7th generation entry, or a completely unrelated side title. Remember, though...
k) time still exists, according to many, which is well enough to reveal a new generation, and fully furnish it by December.

Well; despite any or all of that, in actuality we're more than likely still residing at square one. Oh, but to reflect upon the possibilities which lie before us! A belligerent buffet, to be sure, but of who's savory flavors are ours for the sampling! Which one smacks of a taste that's true? Only time will tell! :)
You're the one with the savory flavors. I could read books by you.

Surely, those of outstanding insight into the inner machinations of Pokémon marketing may be at a greater advantage in propagating a suitable response; but, from what I've gathered, it may not be so much a matter of "why is it releasing in 2018", as it may be "why isn't it releasing in 2018". Apart from an impressive deal of speculation and possibly leaked information, (sadly) the switch game's development and possible release window of "2018-2019" is our sole foundation from which our conclusions can be drawn. However...

a) something akin to 3 years of development time has, historically, lead to a new generation, meaning 2019,and so...
b) generation 7 has existed for roughly 2(?) years? Too soon, in the opinions of many, although...
c) with the official liberation of Zeraora, generation 7 seems to be drawing to a close. Meaning...
d) generation 8 could be the next logical step in the franchise. With a...
e) switch pokemon game announced almost a year ago, with a possible release date of 2018, some conclude that...
f) generation 8 may be nearer than we had previously thought possible. However...
g) with no concrete confirmation of a 2018 release, and no information regarding the title in question...
h) newly discussed alternatives to satisfy a possible 2018 release also seem somewhat logical, because...
i) what could be considered "credible sources", with somewhat proven track records, have alluded to...
j) a generation 1 overhaul, another 7th generation entry, or a completely unrelated side title. Remember, though...
k) time still exists, according to many, which is well enough to reveal a new generation, and fully furnish it by December.

Well; despite any or all of that, in actuality we're more than likely still residing at square one. Oh, but to reflect upon the possibilities which lie before us! A belligerent buffet, to be sure, but of who's savory flavors are ours for the sampling! Which one smacks of a taste that's true? Only time will tell! :)
You're a poet

Just came to my mind, this/these game(s) are more likely to be a test for GAME FREAK on the Switch, based on their experience with Sun and Moon's work, so they could be really similar in terms of graphics.

While I think that a reboot/remake is possible, having another gen 7 game would be weird. Usum added new pokemon that cannot be traded to s/m, so they are not totally compatible with s/m. Then they make two new games on the switch that will not be compatible with the 4 before. I mean, not exactly the best generation in terms of compatibility.

Corocoro cover is out and as expected, Zeraora is on the cover and will probs be just that and movie news.
At least corocoro covered it. Last year it completly ignored Marshadow.

Last edited:
https://archive-media-1.nyafuu.org/vp/image/1519/95/1519955919322.jpg

Okay, so, analyzing these three compared to Sugimori artwork.

From what I can tell, Sugimori uses a soft, low opacity brush for the shading, applying it at least twice- resulting in that lighter streak of color around the shaded areas.

My attempt at replicating it on top of Rowlet's official artwork- Screenshot
The starter artist's attempt at replicating it on their starters- Screenshot

You can see that the starter artist's lighter streak between the shaded and unshaded portions is a lot sharper and more defined than Sugimori's double brushing. If you look at them all closely, they actually appear to be more cel-shaded than airbrushed.
Ken Sugimori doesn't draw for Pokemon anymore.
Pokemon art in Sun and Moon were not drawn by Ken Sugimori.

While I think that a reboot/remake is possible, having another gen 7 game would be weird. Usum added new pokemon that cannot be traded to s/m, so they are not totally compatible with s/m. Then they make two new games on the switch that will not be compatible with the 4 before. I mean, not exactly the best generation in terms of compatibility.

Problem with a remake/reboot is that they don't cover it in the anime, since we have already seen the region and the Pokemon. And since most people, , say that the anime can't handle another year, that means a remake/reboot is impossible. A soft reboot can happen, but that means its a new region and new Pokemon, which makes it gen 8.

Problem with a remake/reboot is that they don't cover it in the anime, since we have already seen the region and the Pokemon. And since most people, , say that the anime can't handle another year, that means a remake/reboot is impossible. A soft reboot can happen, but that means its a new region and new Pokemon, which makes it gen 8.

They don't typically cover them in the anime, but that doesn't mean that they won't ever cover them in the anime.

The problem with kanto reboot/remake is that we are promised one switch game in in the span of either 2018/2019 that meant that gen 8 will have to wait until 2020 as the earliest which makes the pokemon market stale for 3 years without any new pokemon to show unless they include new kanto forms and new ubs in this game but still it will make them have less to show not only in the anime but also onto other merchandise

They don't typically cover them in the anime, but that doesn't mean that they won't ever cover them in the anime.
That's true. If they made a Kanto remake/reboot then Ash will simply go back to Kanto after his holiday in Alola. Even if the game will be a remake I don't think it will be a copy-paste of gen 1 so probably there will be something they could focus on for a new anime in Kanto. They could even reboot the anime itself. I mean, they rebooted the movies, if they have decided to reboot the games they could easly reboot the anime too.
I mean, if they make a remake/reboot in Kanto as the first game on the switch they will break so many patterns that the anime would be the last of our problems:

- First game on a home console.
- First game on a new system that is not a new gen.
- First game on a new system that does not introduce new pokemon.
- First game on a new system that does not introduce a new region.
- First time they make a remake of a gen that already has a remake.

Do you really think they would be worried about the anime after they broke all the above patterns?

Last edited:
The problem with kanto reboot/remake is that we are promised one switch game in in the span of either 2018/2019 that meant that gen 8 will have to wait until 2020 as the earliest which makes the pokemon market stale for 3 years without any new pokemon to show unless they include new kanto forms and new ubs in this game but still it will make them have less to show not only in the anime but also onto other merchandise

Just because it's a remake doesn't mean that it isn't a new Generation.

Just because it's a remake doesn't mean that it isn't a new Generation.
Well not to be rude but how do we define a generation exactly? Isnt it define by a brand new hardware or a brand new region and brand new sets of pokemon.

I personally thinks a new generation meant a brand new region and brand new set of pokemon for that region

Usum is an exception because the pokemon that were introduced there can be argued as pokemon not caught in sumo timeline but existed there.

So how do you define a new generation?

Some TCG cards were made by Sugimori (most are Trainer Cards)

As far as His article is concerned he still works on Pokémon as a franchise, but in recent years his work has mostly been Characters, with his most recent work on Pokémon themselves being for X and Y as a Pokémon Design Coordinator, and his latest listed work on Pokémon Design being HeartGold and SoulSilver

Well not to be rude but how do we define a generation exactly? Isnt it define by a brand new hardware or a brand new region and brand new sets of pokemon.

I personally thinks a new generation meant a brand new region and brand new set of pokemon for that region

Usum is an exception because the pokemon that were introduced there can be argued as pokemon not caught in sumo timeline but existed there.

So how do you define a new generation?

Typically, it's a set of games that can interact with each other outside of Pokébank.. For example, X/Y and OR/AS can all trade between one another and even do link battles and such, providing that the Pokémon/moves are compatible. It's the same with S/M and US/UM, or B/W and B2/W2.

If the way that you thought of it was true, then OR/AS wouldn't be Gen 6 games because they don't feature a new landmass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom