• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really want Pokemon to do this. It would overcomplicate the game and oversaturate it with useless features that hardly anyone will ever use.

to be fair, with how streamlined the games pacing has become ever since gen 6 (arguably 5), I could argue that maybe the games are due for some oversaturation :T

but yeah, I feel you, it could end up being something really clutter-y with ease

sigh

Very well, I can be criticized to high noon about not playing pokemon for it's intended purpose. I didn't believe this mattered, but apparently, it does. That is fine. I know when I am beaten. Farewell.

I don't really want Pokemon to do this. It would overcomplicate the game and oversaturate it with useless features that hardly anyone will ever use.
I'm having trouble seeing how it would overcomplicate it. Different paths makes it more fun and increases replayability. Not saying it's likely but it definitely wouldn't complicate it.

Different paths makes it more fun and increases replayability.

Replaying a Pokemon game costs you all the Pokemon you've caught unless you have Pokebank, and all your items, customization accessories, Pokedex, battle and minigame records. It's a feature that needs to be implemented carefully, or else a lot of people will complain that the only way to see the other side of the story is through Youtube.

I'm having trouble seeing how it would overcomplicate it. Different paths makes it more fun and increases replayability. Not saying it's likely but it definitely wouldn't complicate it.

I think being able to choose different paths, yet somehow have them all connected at the end result would be cool. I also agree that it would have good replay value because then you can start the game over several times to play through the different outcomes. We've see signs of individuality with character customization and different features like Contests, Pokestar Studios, ect. I think the next step would be choosing a path that's more tied to the main story than just being a side-quest.

There is only one word I can understand, and it's the most important one in that sentence.

ogbz0.jpg

Replaying a Pokemon game costs you all the Pokemon you've caught unless you have Pokebank, and all your items, customization accessories, Pokedex, battle and minigame records. It's a feature that needs to be implemented carefully, or else a lot of people will complain that the only way to see the other side of the story is through Youtube.

They could fully implement Quests into the game and provide you with say, a Key Item, that allows you to Replay said quests, which could also allow younger players to Train their Pokémon without needing to grind by fighting Wild Pokémon or the Pokémon League.

I'd love to have more side things to do in Pokemon- I really want something else to do for fun besides grinding my Pokemon to level 100, shiny hunting, and my latest past time of rating every Pokemon based on how many unique animations they have in Pokemon Refresh. We don't have a Contest/Pokeathlon/Pokestar Studios type thing in Gen 7- we don't even have minigames, like how in Gen 6 there was Super Training and the Amie minigames, or the cooking games that were in Sinnoh and 3rd Gen Hoenn (I LOVE rhythm games, and while I was all for removing the cap on how many poffins/pokeblocks your Pokemon can eat, I was super bummed that they removed the Pokeblock making minigame in ORAS- they took almost everything I enjoyed about contests out), or even the slot machines in earlier games. I do love the Alola Photo Club, but its not exactly a game- its more of a fun decorating activity/animation showcase- a good thing to have, but it doesn't fill the niche that past activities filled.

My favorite activities were the ones that build towards some kind of reward, like Pokestar Studios giving your Pokemon a little special intro animation, or the award rooms for Pokeathlon where you had to complete objectives in order to get into the next room, or how contests and Battle Frontier give you ribbons. I'm not super driven by player-vs-player online competition- I have a bad temper and tend to get upset by repeatedly losing in the battle spot to people using Ubers against my goofy Pokemon teams that aren't really designed to go up against them. Likewise, the Battle Tree is basically just the Battle Tower, which was always my least favorite Battle Frontier facility- I prefer the ones that have kind of oddball objectives and challenges, like beating multiple opponents in succession with one Pokemon, or the Battle Factory's rental Pokemon, or the Battle Arcade's random events.

When the post game is wholly battle focused, I'm left doing what I'm doing right now- monotonous grinding for shinies, battling the E4 over and over with different Pokemon so they all get the ribbon, and obsessive activities that I invent for myself to try and get more enjoyment out of the game. Its not like I haven't been playing other games, either- but I love Pokemon, and I want to come back and enjoy it, I just wish it gave me more things to do- I know there's a lot of other people who miss those games and activities as well.

If it was implemented just right, I think it'd also bring a change that people would really enjoy with multiple save files! (Or, at the very least, a way to back up Pokemon and items and replay a story)

But...I don't expect GF to have it go that way even if they did do a branching storyline. I feel like Game Freak isn't great at realizing how much a concept might affect a game, because they have a lot of different people working on a lot of different parts of a game. Mega Evolution was great for making fun and exciting designs, but wasn't great for game balance. The Repeat Ball is an interest concept for a Poke Ball, but isn't very useful in actual gameplay. Version-exclusive clothes highlight game differences, but are obnoxious when people want a certain piece.

But fingers crossed! If we can get the miracle of a branching story, maybe they'll examine all the ways it affects things!

My favorite activities were the ones that build towards some kind of reward, like Pokestar Studios giving your Pokemon a little special intro animation, or the award rooms for Pokeathlon where you had to complete objectives in order to get into the next room, or how contests and Battle Frontier give you ribbons. I'm not super driven by player-vs-player online competition- I have a bad temper and tend to get upset by repeatedly losing in the battle spot to people using Ubers against my goofy Pokemon teams that aren't really designed to go up against them.

This is exactly how I play the games!! The most fun I've ever had was in B2-I was super driven to get a black trainer card (which I lost when I restarted to let my little brother play-funny that it comes up like this), and it was a blast to try everything! Plus, I managed to beat Red in the PWT while having absolutely no clue what IVs/EVs were-heck, at that age, I thought it was a novel idea to teach Coballion Volt Switch! (a fact I learned from the official guide, no less) The competitive scene is great for people who enjoy it, but if you want to play with Pokemon based on designs and themes rather than tiers, it sucks to play a game where your options for opponents are S-rank players and NPCs copying their strategies.

I mean, the Alola Photo Club and Pokefinder were pointless additions to the game that I hardly ever use.

I mean, the Alola Photo Club and Pokefinder were pointless additions to the game that I hardly ever use.
I feel like that was gamefreak trying to satisfy the Pokemon snap remakes requests, and let's face it, if that was getting a remake it would been on the Wii u.

Anyway I see no problem with open world, if they're worried kids will get lost just give them marks to where the gyms are on the map.

I am hopeful, but not having any expectations otherwise, for our playable character to be able to climb, jump and otherwise navigate the natural world!
Maybe some of this would be made impossible inside the borders of towns and cities similar to biking being restricted to only certain areas?

why are we looking at an ubisoft guy? what does ubisoft have to do with pokemon? you cant just take any tweet and make it pokemon related
He tweeted that pokemon will be revealed soon also he tweets he have inside info but bot working with game freak but he wish he would

A lot of the side features of the games are largely useless for most players. I did like it was fresh mind you even though I used it only once.

The multiple timelines concept has already complicated the concept for most fans, heck adding in ultra beasts has separated the community on whether or not they are legends lol

Even though we have official word from Nintendo and the game code from the datamine it still plagues the community today, we have to keep things simple I agree here.

Pokémon has always been a very simplistic and childish game and I think keeping to that is best for the series. If I want a deeper JRPG experience or something with a decent story / set of characters I’ll just play another game. I don’t expect Pokémon to grow with me as I get older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom