• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Old Episodes better than new?

...I'm sorry, the Original Series had a plot?

Kanto did, for the most part. The story was about a young boy discovering the world of Pokemon, his two travel companions, and we had the whole Giovanni/Mewtwo storyline which was resolved in the movie.

Orange Islands, again, was mostly self-contained and it was so short anyway that it didn't need some huge story, although we did get Charizard's story resolved among other things.

However once you get to Johto, it pretty much just turns into Ash helping whatever filler character needed help with a problem, and going on another badge journey.

I'll give you the kid discovering the new world of pokemon with his friends but that's pretty much the basic plot of the whole show, not just Kanto.

And the Giovanni/Mewtwo plot? How can we even call it a plot? Giovanni has some fabulous new pokemon that is an uber. It makes things explode, hands Gary's ass to him, then makes the whole building explode. Ash never discovers that the mysterious pokemon that curb-stomped Gary was Mewtwo and when Ash finally does meet Mewtwo in Kanto he loses his memories. I'd say that's more like random things being thrown against a wall which is what makes the OS "memorable". Not necessarily in a good way, depending on who you are.

I'll give you the kid discovering the new world of pokemon with his friends but that's pretty much the basic plot of the whole show, not just Kanto.

But Ash was a beginner in Kanto and discovering these things for the first time, so it made Kanto seem more plot-oriented as a result. Both the viewers and Ash were experiencing the world of Pokemon for the very first time.

By the time you get to the later seasons, we had seen Ash go on so many badges quests already that it lost all meaning.

And the Giovanni/Mewtwo plot? How can we even call it a plot? Giovanni has some fabulous new pokemon that is an uber. It makes things explode, hands Gary's ass to him, then makes the whole building explode. Ash never discovers that the mysterious pokemon that curb-stomped Gary was Mewtwo and when Ash finally does meet Mewtwo in Kanto he loses his memories.

And a follow-up in Johto with the Mewtwo Returns special. It was about as much plot as any of the other villain teams got, at any rate.

But his job has changed, so yeah.

It changed back in DP, not BW.

But you're right that we do probably have some good stuff coming, which is why I like the new episodes better. Tomioka has done a good job constructing an overall plot with DP, and it's already obvious he's setting up a lot of stuff with BW. Shudo just kinda dropped the ball in the old days due to not being able to stand up for what he wanted to do with the show.

Shudo just kinda dropped the ball in the old days due to not being able to stand up for what he wanted to do with the show.

What DID he want to do with the show? Besides the way Team Rocket was handled, I mean.

What DID he want to do with the show? Besides the way Team Rocket was handled, I mean.

All I know is what was said in the few blogs that have been translated. But I have a feeling it would have been more interesting that what we got.

I personally like the older seasons much better cuz for one thing the voices and the gags were amazing simply amazing unlike now though the gags are still funny but not as funny as before.

i much prefered the older episodes. i really don't give a fuck about "plotlines" or "charector development" i just watch the show

^ What is it that makes you prefer the older episodes? Not that I'm saying you shouldn't, but you didn't say why do you them.

And ideas are repeated? You mean like in Johto where most episodes were about Ash and co. meeting a trainer whose Pokemon has a problem, Ash and co. try to help said Pokemon while Team Rocket steal it. In the process of defeating TR, said Pokemon gets over its problem. Everything's fine, Ash promises to meet the trainer again, etc.

Yes because new seasons dont repeat already used ideas right?Show for me at this rate has became predictable,unlike it used to be case before where attention to games was payed in smaller amount.

...I'm sorry, the Original Series had a plot?

Yes it had,it just happens new series has become more consistent in their aspect focusin more on it instead of abandoning them like it happned with GS ball.

Anyway, in terms of characters, plot, creativity etc, the "newer" series of Pokemon easily trump the old.

That is your opinon and i respect that but to me previous series had better characters and more creativity(already explained many times before).

Ill give you on plot though,writing has definitely improved in that section with more attention being given to it.

the OS just has a lot of nostalgia value for it and while I can appreciate how off the wall Kanto was at points, I much prefer the more subtle humor of AG & DP.

Is there any reason for peple to assume how nostalgia is the only reason because people prefer older series because honestly this is completely false to assume.Many people tried to give chance to new series finding them inerior compred to older regions stating their reasons why.

However once you get to Johto, it pretty much just turns into Ash helping whatever filler character needed help with a problem, and going on another badge journey.

So your forgetting subplot about Red Gyarados,Lugia crisis,Misty getting some development and making something about her goal in Whirl Cup.Brock improving as pokemon breeder,aswell conclusion of Ash vs Gary rivarly?

I assume his experience from his past work. DP did have a pretty coherent story too, because the guy was series composition.

Johto had it's fair share of little story arcs, none of which were particulary bad, so I like to think it was an improvement in that regard. Kanto didn't really get that kind of thing outside maybe the St. Anne stuff, so credit where credit is due, y'know?

Johto had it's fair share of little story arcs, none of which were particulary bad, so I like to think it was an improvement in that regard. Kanto didn't really get that kind of thing outside maybe the St. Anne stuff, so credit where credit is due, y'know?

All of Johto's story arcs weren't until the tail-end though of the saga though, and most of them, aside from Larvitar, didn't really last beyond 2-3 episodes.

Most of early and middle Johto is entirely fillerish, besides the few captures and Gym battles we had at that point.

I think people here are getting confused between what's good or not or what they like personally. While I like DP and Johto the best, I won't deny that the show is improving every new saga that comes out. I hate how close-minded Pokemon fans blindly claim that the new episodes are nothing but fillers where the main characters meet a character of the day and help their problems because that's the problem with the episodes they like.

And Scott, part of the reason people like Johto is due to Misty being there. We're sort of talking about the same people who can't let go of Misty. I didn't want to bring her up but it's true. I notice it all the time on the PokeCommunity. PC seems to be a gathering place for all those who would be tortured and provoked here and at SPPf but no one bothers them there so they whine and whine.

This was originally a response to Cascada's thread...but it got closed as I was typing it >_> (Technically, I could still post there, but it wouldn't be fair XD). Definitely TL;DR BAW material ahead.

You know what? I'll make an honest attempt to answer this thread.

The love for the original series has not dissipated in my eyes. I remember the first time I watched pokemon when I was 6 years old with my sister thinking it was the most freaking awesome thing I'd ever seen. The characters were funny, the concept was fresh, the plotlines (no matter how episodic they seemed) were entertaining and heart-felt. There was a narm charm feeling about the series.

But the thing is, I was 6 at the time and the series was brand new. If I had never watched pokemon as a child and tried to get into the series at THIS age...I don't think I could have survived the journey all the way to DP. I'd be too WTF at everything that happened in Kanto and Johto...

The original series, I have to admit, feels the most "real" to me...it had a lot of character and soul (don't ask me why, maybe it's my nostalgia speaking). There were many memorable instances that are still brought up today in the fandom (nobody could forget Ashly! And GARY!) There is a reason why only the first season had been the target for other media parodies and criticisms...it was a full blown fad and completely ridiculous.

That doesn't mean that there is no love for it. To be honest, I don't see the harm in talking about it every once it a while. It's just that every time someone mentions the original series, it always has to be a battle between NEW and OLD instead of an understanding that the time they occurred in may have affected fans' perceptions. If you were the target audience when pokemon first aired, your thoughts may be different than one who jumped into it a few years later...just a thought.

So yeah, I love the original series. I loved their lack of plot. I loved Ash's pity badges and the gag humor and the main groups's silly interactions and Misty and Brock and Team Rocket.

But I love it a different way than I love the new series which had a decent plot (not EXCELLENT like other people claim, I'm just saying that it attempted to execute one and had a better degree of success than previous series.), a tension-filled rivalry, better animation, and noticeable character and pokemon development.

Oh, and Paul and Dent...just saying

Everyone will never agree, it's all in opinion, so lets not to start dissing the old Pokemons episodes as well as new. :]
I prefer the old series but then again, I haven't watched the new series so it's not for me to judge. But I will say that the old series was good-but until I can decide, I will have to watch it.

(Black and White Poke Game isn't out in my country yet, nor is the anime D:)

I hate how close-minded Pokemon fans blindly claim that the new episodes are nothing but fillers where the main characters meet a character of the day and help their problems because that's the problem with the episodes they like.

That's actually a description for the way most of Johto was, excluding some mini-arcs during the Master Quest era.

And Scott, part of the reason people like Johto is due to Misty being there. We're sort of talking about the same people who can't let go of Misty. I didn't want to bring her up but it's true. I notice it all the time on the PokeCommunity. PC seems to be a gathering place for all those who would be tortured and provoked here and at SPPf but no one bothers them there so they whine and whine.

So what, Crystal Clair? You've been in the fandom almost as long as I have, you know what the fandom was like when AG was airing, and then what it was like when DP was airing.

You were both here and at SPP at the time, and you know what the general consensus of most fans were at the time. Someone like you knows good and well what the general opinion on Misty was back then. And then the rise and fall of the Contests and those characters.

I know you thought Misty would appear in DP, but it should be pretty obvious why she didn't. Its also obvious why May is given better treatment by the writers overall.

Given you see Weedle's craziness and how he's still going on about petitions and mastering Japanese language to boycott sexism (lol), you should know good and well why some fans get made fun of. Weedle got permabanned both here and on SPP for that reason.

Its amazing that this show easily became a big hit by following simple concepts.When will the writers learn that they need to create more rivals that have a plot like Paul? The rival in best wishes isn't all that great.

Also Gamefreak removed team rocket a looooooong time ago and the writers still place them wherever Ash is not that I hate them but its too boring and obvious.Because of such long plots and annoying results, many of them consider playing the game instead.Everytime the anime says that trainers support their pokemon so they can support the trainers but in Paul's case it worked the opposite which was surprising because I've never seen a trainer who is the same as Paul except Silver.Still it would be best if Ash at least manages to win the Isshu league.Its been a while since he won the johto league.

That's actually a description for the way most of Johto was, excluding some mini-arcs during the Master Quest era./
That's what I was saying. They often say they stopped watching the anime AFTER Johto and now when they go back to watch it, their description of how the anime is is what Johto was like and they think negative of it which is what I find ironic.

So what, Crystal Clair? You've been in the fandom almost as long as I have, you know what the fandom was like when AG was airing, and then what it was like when DP was airing.

You were both here and at SPP at the time, and you know what the general consensus of most fans were at the time. Someone like you knows good and well what the general opinion on Misty was back then. And then the rise and fall of the Contests and those characters.

Actually, I was at SPPf a year before I became Crystal Clair and I was really immature because I didn't know how to handle the internet. I was used to getting my way.

At the PokeCommunity now and maybe even then, there were those Kanto/Johto-loving, Misty-missing, new-hating fans. This is because reasonable people were absent. It's gotten a bit better but they ended up with so many whiners that they had to give them their own subforum. I'm not talking about SPPf because these guys probably came from there to escape being criticized. PC is their safe haven.

No matter what, there will always be those fans who will accept the new and fans who decide to live in the past. I used to be the latter but now I'm the former. I was actually happy when Brock left.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom