• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Old Episodes better than new?

It seems that it would be alot easier to think of the different series as different anime shows altogether. Not just a different series, different shows.

Yeah, there's way too much emotional baggage attached to the anime now.

No matter what, there will always be those fans who will accept the new and fans who decide to live in the past. I used to be the latter but now I'm the former. I was actually happy when Brock left.

That's true. But overall it doesn't matter anymore. The shows now been going on for 13+ years and has over 650+ episodes. Some people just lost interest in Pokemon in general or outgrew the series.

I don't think the writers ever cared about wanting to keep the 18+ year old or 20 year old fans around who were the original kids during 1998.

New generations of kids replace the older fans. There were plenty of kids who watched DP who had never seen any of the previous seasons.

That's true. But overall it doesn't matter anymore. The shows now been going on for 13+ years and has over 650+ episodes. Some people just lost interest in Pokemon in general or outgrew the series.

I don't think the writers ever cared about wanting to keep the 18+ year old or 20 year old fans around who were the original kids during 1998.

Or '97 in Japan (which I'm menioning because it's the series' country of origin)...

Everyone will never agree, it's all in opinion, so lets not to start dissing the old Pokemons episodes as well as new. :]
I prefer the old series but then again, I haven't watched the new series so it's not for me to judge. But I will say that the old series was good-but until I can decide, I will have to watch it.

(Black and White Poke Game isn't out in my country yet, nor is the anime D:)

oh we can, and we will......muhahahahahahahahh

nah just kidding, but what did expect? a flame war is bound to happen mainly because with any long running series your going to get the:

nostalgia vs the current/new

and im pretty sure i wont be the last to say but

johto series sucked

You were both here and at SPP at the time, and you know what the general consensus of most fans were at the time. Someone like you knows good and well what the general opinion on Misty was back then.

I hope you realize how group of fans on one site represents minority in whole pokemon fanbase.If you want to know general consensuz from her fanbase online is how she shouldnt have been replaced at end of Johto.

Its also obvious why May is given better treatment by the writers overall.

If your talking about appearances after departure May wasnt given better treatment,and when it comes to being main character reason why her story arc was handled better was because witers improved and acknowledged mistakes they did before fixing them.

No matter what, there will always be those fans who will accept the new and fans who decide to live in the past. I used to be the latter but now I'm the former. I was actually happy when Brock left.

You could sasy im one of those who welcome change giving it a chance but nevertheless i would welcome return of older characters back to cast aswell.

New generations of kids replace the older fans. There were plenty of kids who watched DP who had never seen any of the previous seasons.

You forgett how kids in Japan know about older series thanks to reruns which were being given on Pokemon Sunday.

I prefer the original series. Ash may have acted like a brat at times, but it was great to see him learn, and he was so cute! Now he's really boring. That, and the introduction of contests bombed the whole series. I may have started with Hoenn, but I'm a Kanto fangirl at heart. That, and the animation was classic Pokemon. It wasn't neat, but it was right from the heart. Now the animation is all on the computer instead of hand-drawn. While it looks cleaner, it's just not Pokemon, and some of the characters just look weird. I mean, c'mon, we went from this
ash.jpg

to whatever the hell this is
Ash_new_eye_style.png

SCARY! :eek:
It may have had its faults (especially the filler-rific Jotho), but the original series kicks butt. The end.

Everyone looked really ugly in the original series.

I like old episodes because I was a little kid back then, and when I do get the chance to see them, it brings back memories and I like that.

AG was very fun for me. And most of D/P was interesting and surprising.

It doesn't matter though. I think I went over this over at sppf. We don't matter.

The old eps are way better than the new ones

Mind giving reasons why?

That, and the introduction of contests bombed the whole series.

Contests bombed the series? Contests spicened the series up and gave it more of a plot to follow. Besides, the series hasn't bombed yet. It's still being made isn't it?

I mean, c'mon, we went from this
ash.jpg

Ash_new_eye_style.png

I prefer whatever the hell it is. :p

No offense to Kanto/Johto fans, but I really do think the OS looked ugly. Everyone was disproportioned and the animation didn't look clean. I much prefer the newer digital animation. Much more cleaner and easier to look at.

I like old episodes because I was a little kid back then, and when I do get the chance to see them, it brings back memories and I like that.

This is why I like the old episodes too. I may not like them more than AG/DP, but I liked to watch it when I was younger. It was just the spirit that appealed to me. I'm not exactly a nostalgic person, so maybe that's why I don't stick to it.

It all depends if you are a nostalgia fan or a new series fan.

But personally, I like the old episodes better.

I prefer the original series. Ash may have acted like a brat at times, but it was great to see him learn, and he was so cute! Now he's really boring. That, and the introduction of contests bombed the whole series. I may have started with Hoenn, but I'm a Kanto fangirl at heart. That, and the animation was classic Pokemon. It wasn't neat, but it was right from the heart. Now the animation is all on the computer instead of hand-drawn. While it looks cleaner, it's just not Pokemon, and some of the characters just look weird. I mean, c'mon, we went from this
ash.jpg

Ash_new_eye_style.png

It may have had its faults (especially the filler-rific Jotho), but the original series kicks butt. The end.

What you picture is the transition to digital animation, something every anime now does. Pokemon did it quite some time ago and has been doing it digital for a long time.

You give no reason for us to think your way. Are you trying to be objective, or are you purposely acting naive?

Forgetting nostalgia, BW and DP win out every time.

For me, it varies.

I think the original series was probably the best, although at times I thought AG was better than Johto (Johto, for me, is a little too slow. I'm rewatching it now since I don't remember too much from when it originally aired. I was too young.)

AG was actually pretty good. That's kind of when I stopped watching, so I've been rewatching it now, and I like it. I like the brighter colors and the better animation, and there were lots of good characters and storylines.

DP, in my opinoin, was the WORST series. It was (up until BW) the best artistically, but oh man was everyone so BLAND. There were way more characters I disliked than enjoyed, because they were either just so bland or so annoying. The plot also dragged on way too long, and there were more forgetable episodes than memorable ones.

However, I'm really enjoying BW so far, and think all the characters so far are pretty awesome.

So for me it kind of depends. I'll always favor the original series (because I'm the kind of person who doesn't really give a damn about animation, or a solid plot line to be honest. I prefer more comedey.) But to each one's own.

lol come to think of it, Pokemon has had a broken fan base for quite a while, ever since the johto series came into play, now fans cant just cant seem to be satisfied, but hey it happens with tons of long running anime

DP, in my opinoin, was the WORST series. It was (up until BW) the best artistically, but oh man was everyone so BLAND. There were way more characters I disliked than enjoyed, because they were either just so bland or so annoying. The plot also dragged on way too long, and there were more forgetable episodes than memorable ones.

You sound like you never watched DP I guess everything lies in your sig LOLOLOL, but I'm not going any further, so anyway to stick with topic, I guess like several other people pointed out it's a matter of opinion. I actually prefer newer episodes due to how should I call it... being more developed and fulfilled.

DP had a lot of great episodes, the problem is it was stretched out too long that people forgot most of them. If DP was condensed into only 3 years, most of the good stuff would be close together and people would remember.

But overall DP did have the least humor of all the sagas, (aside from some stuff with Croagunk, evil Togepi, etc.), and was heavily focused on battling.

All those tedious training eps for Ash and the appeal training eps for Dawn got boring after awhile.

Meh, it really all is just a matter of opinion. It's ridiculous that a lot of people, whether they prefer the old or new episodes, act like their preference is a fact. People like what they like, so that's annoying.

Personally I've enjoyed all the sagas of the anime so far (I didn't love DP, but it had its share of episodes and characters I liked). Yet the old episodes are the most fun for me to watch.

It all depends if you are a nostalgia fan or a new series fan.

What is a, "new series fan?" There have been four different Pokemon series.

AG is a very old saga now. Even DP is kinda old now, especially the beginning of it. Best Wishes is the current arc.

I don't know why people keep counting everything after Johto as, "new." AG began back in 2002, over 8 years ago. It certainly cannot be considered new.

Johto is not the, "mid-point," of the series, the "mid-point" is probably mid-DP now.

I think it's just because after Johto ended, that was when the anime was revamped, so people considered it new.

It doesn't even feel that old, really. I still can't believe it actually started way back in 2002.

Johto is not the, "mid-point," of the series, the "mid-point" is probably mid-DP now.

Actually, doing the math, early AG is the "half way" point of Pokemon, right now anyway, that'll go up as BW goes along.

Really that's true, AG is basically the crossroads of the anime, the point where people either stop watching and move on like the writers want, or keep watching for the hell of it.

I think it's just because after Johto ended, that was when the anime was revamped, so people considered it new.

I can see why, as it was the first major revamp the series has. Doesn't change the fact that it happened almost a decade ago now.

It doesn't even feel that old, really. I still can't believe it actually started way back in 2002.

I agree it doesn't seem that long ago, but it actually was. May is actually a very, very old character in the series. When you stop to think about it, she was introduced very early on in the series, (Hoenn was only the 6th season of the overall show), and its been 8 years and almost 400+ more eps since then.

Some people talk as if AG just happened a year or two ago. Its been almost a decade since it began.

In my opinion, the older episodes are, for the most part, better. I don't know why, it's probably because that's what I grew up watching so I like it more.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom