• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Online Relationships - Your Opinion? [WARNING: Controversial Topic?]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Online Relationships fail and are for fail people. Get some real friends.

Shut the fuck up. :D

Online relationships are just as valid as real ones, and if you're too close-minded to see that, then you're the "fail person".

It's nice to see more close-minded people who like to offend others.

Online Relationships fail and are for fail people. Get some real friends.

EDIT - Needed "cleaning up"
WHAT!? Online Relationships can just be as real as real life relationships. Get some real friends!? Tell that to the Bulbagarden couples around here, in matter of fact tell that to every Bulbagardener here who has an online friend who isn't in the same region as they are.

A close-minded post for a close-minded user

This person's obviously a troll, but there are some people here who seem to think the same thing anyway, so it had to be said.

Haha, you guys are great. I can't believe that person joined to only post that.

Anyways, I have a question for those of you who say online relationships are "fail." What about online friendships? Are those "fail," too? So many people I know are against online relationships, but have really good online friends. Obviously, there is a difference between a friendship and a relationship, but the other person is still someone you met online...

I am in an online relationship myself, and have been for a while now. It was really hard until now, because I was in high school, and obviously could not just run off and do whatever the hell I wanted to do. Now that I am eighteen and in college, it's going to be a lot easier.

But yeah, I agree with you, shining-Celebi. If you are never going to meet up with the person, or don't plan on it, or just, can't at all, then it really isn't worth it.

Deleted the trolling post as per rule 7.

You may resume standard discussion.

couple of things everyone in a "psuedo" internet relationship should realize:

- you do not love them ; real love takes more then just chatting online; if anything it's nothing more then mere infatuation/flirting with how they act towards you

- you NEVER seen them in person ; there can and will be things about them or habits/how they act that you won't agree with

- you have no idea what their personal life is like in the real world, all you can do is base your "trust" and hang on to what they tell you ; they could be in a real relationship with someone else close by and you will never know. Sure you can chat all day and even talk on the phone, but there are still many many things about them you do not know about.

- since you aren't talking face to face, it's so easy to lie

- you may have chemistry over the net, but in person, you can be the total opposite, then when you meet up, it feels so akward. You feel like an idiot for telling this person, a stranger, that you "loved them". It ends in dissapointment. Can't have a relationship without emotional and physical chemistry.

- because it's so easy to confuse online personalities with real life personalities, you build a false picture of who the person is and what they are like. Then, your mind fills in the gaps with a fantasy. Sound's perfect, but it's not.

- you live 1,000+ miles away from them, possibly in different countries; don't think you can just pack up and move miles away. Immigration laws are tough! ask everybody on loveshack who's in an LDR right now. Of course they're all adults who have the resources and are mature enough. Maybe you are a match made in heaven, but both of you staying together physically may not be up to you.

- travel costs; unless you have a healthy finances to go on road trips or flights, plan to be talking online for longer then you want to

Ask yourself if it's really really worth it. All the effort, all the commitment. All the suffering to go through without having them there with you. Limiting yourself from potential partners who are local to you and not a plane ride away.

Young people who limit themselves to these internet affairs are missing out on so so much. You are young, with your whole life ahead of you. Having friends online is cool and stuff, but to try and build a romantic relationship? no way.

Takes a while to realize this stuff and that's why I won't do it again. The reality hits you after a while.

Internet psuedo relationships are game over before they begin.

To the above post I respond with this saying from a fortune cookie, "If your drive is love, you can find a way."

Basically, if you really care for someone, even over the internet, you will find a way to make it work. And if it doesn't, oh well.

- you do not love them ; real love takes more then just chatting online; if anything it's nothing more then mere infatuation/flirting with how they act towards you

Awfuly arrogant of you to presume you can tell when and how real love may or may not form.

Tell me, have you conducted a comprehensive study of online relationship, oh, enlightened one, to arrived at such a earth-shaking conclusion? Or did you perhaps receive divine enlightenement from the life-giving fingers of God himself?

Or are you more likely just talking out of your own ass, based on a limited sample of online relationships you've observed, probably your own experience?

I've seen Internet relationships that crashed and burned. I've seen internet relationships were the couple eventually met, and are now engaged or even married, and quite happy with each other - was theirs a "psuedo" (it's pseudo, by the way) relationship? Much as with anything else when it comes to love, it would be awfully stupid to pretend there is a single truth.

I have to agree with a lot of what Nicoge has to say. Though perhaps a little more sugar-coated.

A physical relationship is an awful lot more meaningful than an internet relationship. It's in the flesh, raw emotion and every little quirks and features of a person out to view. The internet is merely electronic, even though emotions for another are not.

The word 'love' has been chewed up, digested and spat out many times as to lose it's true meaning. Utter and complete compassion and devotion for an individual, it's a selfless feeling. In my opinion, loving someone you've not ever met face-to-face is ... to be blunt, ridiculous. Webcams? Microphone? Phone calls? It may count to something but I do not think it is worth it at all if you cannot truly be with that person, as that is my definition of love. Two people as one connected by their ardour. It's the same with long-distance relationships. It would be worth the build-up and time devotion if in the end you did meet your internet paramour, but sustaining a relationship solely over the Net? Especially when there are six billion people on this little blue planet and some million waiting outside your door? Maybe you've tried that and failed, and so you've found someone far away and connected with them. That's fine. But just remember the world around you, the people around you. Don't just settle for something on the Internet, humans thrive on passion, whether you're a romantic or not. Bare, dirty, wild passion that can only be had in the flesh.

I don't mean any offense to anyone who is with another over the Net. The thread title is 'Your Opinion', and this is it.

Oh, definitely an internet relationship has to build toward an in-person encounter. Limiting yourself to a purely internet relationship is not something I could possibly encourage - you're missing far too much of the fun.

But that doesn't invalidate internet relationships in and of themselves.

couple of things everyone in a "psuedo" internet relationship should realize:

<snip>

You seriously joined just to post this? You sad, sad thing.

Dee actually goes about stating her (?) opinion in a much more respectful way, and guess what? She succeeds!

About 6-7 years after my mom died, my dad had went on eHarmony and he did actually find someone on the other side of the country. And it looked like it was going to work out perfectly too, we went to visit her back in the spring of this year. But, after that they had a mutual breakup...for complicated and reasonable reasons though.

I for one am not really into online relationships for myself...reason being I don't want a relationship, I just want to stay single. I'm also extremely careful about just plain chatting with somebody, I only talk with only about 2 people that I've met on another forum. If people want to start online dating, then they can....but I strongly encourage them to be VERY careful, you really don't know who's behind that computer screen until you know for sure/find out.

In my eyes most of the time Online Relationships don't work out. I understand getting a crush over someone you know online, as people can get very close, even if not living in the same country.

Usually though I think it just creates problems and sadness. Mainly because as people get older, relationships become also about the physical aspect as well as mental. You can't hug/kiss/ect someone through a computer.

Whereas friendship is easier, I have several very close friends online, and even though I haven't met the majority of them they've helped me through some tough times.

^ That may be true to an extent, but you can't forget about those online couples who actually do meet IRL. Sure, the online relationships where both parties never actually meet are a huge waste of time, because why bother being in a relationship with someone you'll never meet in your entire life? But if the two of you are truly in love, and you're willing to meet up with each other, then it can be a truly beautiful thing.

Me and my boyfriend may have met online, but we do everything we can to make sure it's more than just an "online relationship". We talk on the phone every day now, as well as text, talk on AIM, and have nightly voice chats online. He's coming to visit me for a weekend shortly after Christmas as well. So you can tell we're honestly willing to make this work. That's love.

Those "lol ilu" relationships scattered around online? Those are laughable. What me and my boyfriend have, as well as other major online couples? No. Those are serious, and that's the main difference.

^ That may be true to an extent, but you can't forget about those online couples who actually do meet IRL. Sure, the online relationships where both parties never actually meet are a huge waste of time, because why bother being in a relationship with someone you'll never meet in your entire life? But if the two of you are truly in love, and you're willing to meet up with each other, then it can be a truly beautiful thing.

/thread

Don't understand the close-mindedness about online relationships. How is it possibly worse than a random pickup in a bar? Especially if found on a place with a common interest already.

Most online relationships fail because, let's face it, most relationships in general fail.

@Dana Congrats on finally planning to meet Chaos after Christmas. You must be very excited. ^_- I agree love is weird and really has no bounds.

@Fate Online relationships are a lot different than random bar pickups... But you're right that a lot of relationships fail, primarly because they take effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom