• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Opinions / Ratings of the Gym Leaders in Pokemon B/W

Youngster_Joey

Hurrrrr...
Reaction score
Now that Pokemon Black and White has finally been localized and released, what can you say about the gym leaders of this game? This thread is both for posting personal opinions about the aesthetics of the gym leaders and how much of a challenge they were to you.

I haven't completed the game yet, but here are my opinions on the first six leaders, with a rating between 1 to 5 (1 being easiest, 5 being hardest), and pokemon I personally recommend for the battle.

1)Cilian, Chili, Cress
Difficulty: 1/5
Recommended pokes: Any including the first elemental monkey you recieve.

-Easy as a first battle should be. I at least like how the first gym your match is dependent on your starter. In previous games it always felt like you had to choose the best possible starter just to get past that first gym (Charmander was probably the hardest to work with back in gen1), but with this system, it encourages you to choose anyone. The fact that you can recieve an elemental monkey that will cover your starter's weakness pretty much makes this battle a breeze. You might have trouble if you let the team use Work Up constantly, but that's not too big of a deal.

2)Lenora
Difficulty: 3/5
Recommended Pokes: Throh, or any pokemon that with heavy endurance or is relatively fast and can hit hard.

Ugh, normal type gyms. The normal type, in the eyes of an newcomer, is often underrated due to the associations with early-game pokemon, but it is a pretty formidable type that specilizes in it's unpredictability and versatility. Whitney's Miltank of doom and Norman's hax + anti-stall Slaking are perfect examples, and perhaps Lenora fits in this a little bit.

The main thing to worry about is her Watchog, who has both hypnosis and retaliate. Retaliate in particular is a very potent move. In fact, it 2hitKO'd my Throh with that single move, and even when the turn where Herdier fainted it still hit hard. She was definitely one of the tougher gym leaders among the group.

3)Burgh
Recommended pokes: Any fast one who knows a fire-based move

With how involved he was in the storyline, I'm kind of surprised how he's not all he's hyped up to be. His team has a massive fire weakness, and even his final pokemon has a 4x weakness to it, and he has no real way to cover for it. I basically swept his whole team with my fire starter (isn't the Tepig evo line suppose to be slow, anyway?) and won in probably less than 3 minutes. Nothing memorable here.

4)Elesa
Difficulty: 2/5
Recommended pokes: a sturdy ground or rock type, like Boldore. Palpitoad is also good here imo.

Cool roller-coaster gym. As for the leader herself, she has a nice quirk in which that the majority of her team resists ground-type moves. However, she has no actual means of getting rid of ground-types other than stabbed flying moves. Personally, I destoryed her whole team by spamming Echo Voice on a eviolite Palpitoad. It not only got her to waste potions on her Emolga duo, but they simply couldn't stop me, and once those squirrels were gone Zebstrika was easy picking. I say she's not as bad as Burgh, but no where near as challenging as Lenora.

5)Clay
Recommended Pokes: any Water type works well, particularly the Tympole line since most of his team are not that good defensivly. Save one grass type like Liligant to take out his Palpitoad with almost no effort.

I kind of like Clay. He speaks with a Texan accent and he actually has a relatively decent team. Krookodile can go down to anything, but the challenge actually starts picking up with Palpitoad and Excadrill. Bulldoze can get annoying if you let it get to you, but it doesn't do much damage to begin with, especially if you are using a sturdy grass type on your team.

6)Skyla
Recommended Pokes: Galvantula or Klink. Electric-type moves completely destroy her.

Skyla is probably my favorite gym leader amongst the line, simply because she is the cutest. That's about it, though, because in battle she was simply pathetic. She had no means of checking the most commonly used type against flying: electric. Even her "star" pokemon, Swanna, had a 4x weakness to it. She was kind of disappointing considering that a flying-type gym leader in the 3rd gen, Winona, actually had a mean to stop electrics in their tracks with her part-Dragon type Altaria, who also knew earthquake. Oh well, at least you look smexy, Skyla!

I'll add more as I progress through the game. What are your thoughts?

Pretty much all gyms were a cakewalk except for Lenora's (Retaliate hits hard) and Clay's (Excadrill is both fast and strong). I was particularly disappointed with Drayden, I got two of his three down with spamming Galvantula's Signal Beam. D:

Yeah, uh, the Ice gym was ALL OHKOs ALL THE TIME. But Ice is a horrible defensive type, and you've got a lousy team if none of your Pokemon have a good Fire, Rock, Steel, or Fighting move. Have any of those, though? Then the gym will be a breeze.
I was also disappointed at how easy the dragon gym was. Scrafty, Excadrill, Reuniclus, and Chandelure all got a turn at dragon-killing, and did so with aplomb.

Pretty much all gyms were a cakewalk except for Lenora's (Retaliate hits hard) and Clay's (Excadrill is both fast and strong). I was particularly disappointed with Drayden, I got two of his three down with spamming Galvantula's Signal Beam. D:

Isn't he the dragon type gym leader in Black? Holy lord.

Yeah, so far this is probably the easiest pokemon game I've played (though I haven't played Diamond/Pearl/Platinum). For many of these gyms I sometimes felt over-prepared.

With Skyla in particular, I actually chose not to completely sweep her team with Galvantula (I only used it to take out Swoobat), and use something like Unfezant, and I still won with relative ease.

All Gyms were incredibly easy for me. Brycen was the easiest though - 1HKO'd his entire team.

To be honest the only Gym Leader I've struggled with a bit was Lenora since I had nothing particularly effective to use against her. Clay I found quite easy as I had Servine and Panpour in my team. I was a little surprised that Skyla was so easily beaten though, for some reason I thought she was going to be a pain.

1. Cilan- 1/5 (if you use a Pansear), 2/5 (if you don't use the Pansear) The gym battle is more difficult if you don't go into the Dreamyard first to pick up one of the monkeys. That said and done, Cilan's pokemon would usually waste their first turn with Work Up. As Flying-type pokemon are not available at this point of the game, you must rely on the pokemon you trained thus far. Pansage should 2HKO most of your pokemon (other than your starter). Just attack it. Cilan would sometimes use a Potion on his Pansage.

2- Lenora- 1/5 (if you use a Fighting-type [Sawk, Timburr, Throh]), 3/5 (if you don't have one)
Lenora is just like Whitney in HGSS. She's only going to be a real problem for you if you don't use any pokemon that have weaknesses against her. At this point in the game, her pokemon are incredibly powerful second-stage pokemon with decent speed and attack power. I used a Sawk for my runthrough of Black, so I managed to sweep her entire team only because of the STAB, weaknesses, and higher ATK power.

It will be much more difficult if you use a Pignite or another Fighting-type pokemon, which are not as blessed in high Attack or Speed this early in the game. That Miruhog is able to use Watchog to Hypnotize your team, and if you managed to defeat the Herdier before it, Retaliate will often OHKO your team.

3. Burgh- 2/5, 3/5 (if you are stuck with no Fire-type or an underleveled Pansear)
Bug-type gym leaders should be very easy, correct? For the most part, the only trouble you'll run into is that Whirlipede. It has high Defenses so most of your physical attacks won't even 2HKO it. It has access to Poison Tail, which often poisons, and Protect (to protect itself numerous times). Dwebble is somewhat easier, as it is cursed with the horrible Bug/Rock typing. Ignore the Sturdy for now, and you'll notice Burgh would almost never heal it back up to full health.

His Leavanny could be a difficult opponent if you don't have any Fire or Flying types, or if your Flying type was knocked out already and you didn't have any Revives on you... In this case, as a fully evolved pokemon, Leavanny has somewhat high ATK and a respectable Speed stat. It has been blessed with Razor Leaf, which often provides a critical hit ratio, and Protect (so fire-type attacks normally wouldn't be able to defeat it on the first turn). My Pansear in particular was underleveled (as I planned to catch a Darumaka later on). It didn't even know Flame Burst yet (only that horrible Incinerate). Because most of my pokemon weren't effective against Grass-types, I lost the first time, packed a few more Revives, and defeated them with my Tranquill.

4. Elesa- 3/5
Ground-type pokemon would normally be the cakewalk to defeat an Electric-type gym leader, correct? Well... As far as Ground-type moves, Elesa uses two Emolga that completely immune to them (unless you use Smack Down or something like that...) I used a Sandile equipped with Rock Tomb and it only inflicted half of its normal damage. Even so, Emolga completely outsped my Sandile at the start. The Emolga usually have STAB Aerial Aces and Volt Changes to switch around with each other. If not, they would go around for the defense with Double Team.

Her Zebstrika is another issue, although it is not as difficult. For the most part, you will have to resort using a Ground-type. Zebstrika has high ATK and Speed and could almost OHKO most of your pokemon (this is coming from a guy who is using primarily water and flying-types on his team). I had to revive my Sandile, give it some Super Potions, and let it just spam Dig until it defeated it.

Boldore is a recommended choice to resist the Emolga because of its high Defenses. However, since Boldore usually aren't available until later on in the game (and in great numbers too), most trainers would not see the merit in using one this early.

5. Clay- 1/5 (2/5 if you let Excadrill use Hone Claws multiple times)O
Since this game gives you a lot of Water, Grass, and Fighting-type pokemon, this is perhaps one of the easiest gyms in the game. A Swadloon I caught in Lostlorn Forest was enough to defeat Burgh's Palpitoad and Krokorok. His Excadrill could be an issue if you allow it to use Hone Claws more than enough. I suggest getting a bulky Water-type pokmemon like Dewott/Samurott or Palpitoad as a counter. That Excadrill could be a real problem if you let it keep using Hone Claws...

6. Skyla- 1/5
Alright, let me just say this: Easiest gym leader EVER. I was using a Tynamo I caught in the Chargestone Cave during the entire playthrough, it was "cursed" with four moves (Tackle, Thunder Wave, Spark, Charge Beam) until it evolves at LV 39, and it STILL defeated every trainer and the gym leader here! Skyla is very easy if you pack an Electric or an Ice-type (such as Vanillite), though that might not be recommended against Swanna.

That said and done, her Unfezant would sometimes Detect your pokemon's electric-type attacks, but overall that is more of an inconvenience than a problem.

7. Brycen- 1/5
So many Fire, Fighting, Steel, and Rock-type pokemon in the game... I am surprised this guy is number #7, to be honest. I was using a Meinfoo I caught in the Dragonspiral Tower for this gym playthrough. It was incredibly easy. Meinfoo is my recommended Fighting-type here over the slow and bulky Conkeldurr. Conkeldurr have very low Special Defense and Frost Breath provides a Critical Hit all the time. Meinfoo has higher Speed and a respectable Attack stat as an unevolved pokemon. You can catch it at Level 30, and at that time, it is already blessed with the likes of Force Palm (Drain Punch at LV 33, Jump Kick at LV 37). I defeated Brycen's entire team with just that pokemon.

Sometimes, his Cryogonal and Vanillish would use Acid Armor to boost their defenses, but when you are using a Special sweeper, it will not be any problem for you at all.

His Beartic is not a problem, either. Sure it is Bulky and has access to a lot of Water-type attacks and Swagger, but Meinfoo's Drain Punch sure packs a punch.

8- Drayden- 2/5 (if prepared), 3/5 (once his Haxorus gets going with Swords Dance or Dragon Tail)
Dragon-type pokemon are a novelty in the games. It houses some of the most common types as resistances, are known for either excelling in Special Attack or Attack, and a somewhat respectable Speed stat.

Yes, this would be the case for Drayden as well. I used a Fraxture for my walkthrough, and because it had a Speed boosted nature, it was able to outsped all other Dragon-types in the gym. It OHKOs the opponent's Fraxture and Druddigon. Once Haxorus gets going, however, you are somewhat intimidated. Don't let a fully evolved pokemon get you down; with the amount of training you had to go through this far, it shouldn't be too much of a problem for you.

My Archeops completely swept this thing.

This might be the easiest gym bunch ever, but let me assure you that for those who do not have as much preparation for these battles, it will be very difficult at first. Arti and Elesa were all challenges for my Water and Flying types, and I didn't really have access to any powerful Fire or Ground-types yet in the game.

Later on in the game you can catch more pokemon with specialized types and stronger stats. This is perhaps the reason why the later gym leaders are much easier than the first bunch.

Lenora. Ugh, Take Down and Retaliate killed most of my team. If it wasnt for Timburr I would have lost the gym.

Yep, Lenora was the hardest. Even with my Sawk, Retaliate killed everyone a few times.

1st gym: easy. Especially with the elemental monkey you get.
2nd gym: easy. Especially as you can easily get a good fighting type outside the forest (not good with the new names yet)
3rd gym: can be tricky. I had Snivy and the water monkey, so no fire pokemon yet. But my Tranquil and Roggenrola made it easy enough.
Now I'm at the 4th gym. I'm always bad against Electric pokemon, but my Boldore should be able to take care of at least a good chunk of the pokemon.

Overall so far it's a bit disappointing difficulty wise. But I tend to not over level to much to keep it interesting. Easy enough now that they are lower levelled than before (as far as I know)

- 1st gym : 1/5. Using elemental monkey makes things easy. Nothing special to mention here.

- 2d gym : 2,5/5. If you have no Fighting-type pokemon or move, it can become challenging, and this was the case for me. Not too hard to defeat but not a piece of cake either.

- 3rd gym : 3/5. Even with Blitzle's Flame Charge, it wasn't as easy as it'd seem to me. Am I the only one who was given some serious trouble by Whirlipede ? Leavanny too wasn't easy to take down. I guess not having the type advantage can make a Gym far from easy.

I haven't made it to the 4th gym yet, but I don't think it'll be too hard as I have Drillbur's Dig and Blitzle's Shock Wave to hit Double Teaming Emolgas.

1st Gym: Like most others have said, it's pretty easy as long as you use the elemental monkey you receive.

2nd Gym: Quite easy for me, actually. She fainted my Munna and Blitzle, but, it didn't matter, those weren't the Pokemon that I was planning on using against her right from the get-go anyway. I was just using them first to see what they could do. N E WAY... I had four fighting moves between my Pignite and Timburr (Pignite: Arm Thrust and Rock Smash, Timburr: Low Kick and Wake-up Slap)

I'll try to remember to post my opinions on the other gyms as I beat them.

Cilan/Cress/Chili trio -- 1/5 incredibly easy when you use your elemental monkey. should be a cakewalk

Lenora -- 3.5/5 I almost lost this one, I had higher-leveled pokemon and assumed I was fine -- her watchog swept my team until it hit Roggenrola (which I didn't plan on using and I'm not now), and its weakness against rock allowed my roggenrola to tackle it to death. probably the hardest of the ones I've battled so far.

Burgh -- 1/5 I don't remember much of this as I was able to sweep with my Zebstrika's Flame Charge and I was occupied with other things at the time, but I remember that it was easy.

When your team consists of Servine, Pignite, Dewott and Sigilyph, Elesa's two Emolga are quite threatening. Seriously, that may rank up there with some of the hardest in-game battles I've ever had.

I haven't made it to the 4th gym yet, but I don't think it'll be too hard as I have Drillbur's Dig and Blitzle's Shock Wave to hit Double Teaming Emolgas.

Dig can't hit two-thirds of Elesa's Pokémon (at least under normal circumstances), so good luck. :p

Cilan Bros. - 1/5 if you use your monkey. 3/5 if you don't.

Lenora - 1/5 if you have fighting pokemon/moves. 4.5/5 if you don't.

Burgh - 1/5 - you should/most likely have a fire, rock, or flying type in your party.

Elesa - 4/5 - her pokemon are fast & hit hard. a Dwebble with SR wil make this battle easier.

Clay - 2/5 - grass & water types make this a joke. don't let Excadrill use hone claws or the battle will go from easy to hard in seconds.

Skyla - .001/5 - this battle is down right painfully easy. Scraggy can pwn this gym. dammit Skyla, why can't your skills be a great as your beauty?! T_T

haven't gotten to the 7th & 8th gyms yet, but from what I've read, they're both jokes. Also, GF, I'm glad you stopped using rock gyms as the first gyms, now stop making the 7th & 8th gyms ice & dragon respectively.

Striaton Brothers - Well obviously it will be easy when using one of the Monkey Trios (1/5). Without the monkey they could be a little devious when spamming Work Up and it would be hard to take them out (2.5/5).

Lenora - She is a pain in the groin if you don't have a fighting type Pokemon in your team. Her Herdier OHKO most of my team with Take Down and I don't think its possible to take it down without a fighting type Pokemon in your team. And if you do take down Herdier, her Watchog's retaliation doubles in power and it also has Hypnosis. So without fighting type Pokemon (4.5/5) and with' (1.5/5)

First Gym:
Leader: Cilan (For me)
Type: Grass (For me)
Difficulty: 3/5
Notes: I know most people didn't have trouble with this gym, but I thought it was crazy. My elemental monkey sucked, and I was just lucky to have my oshawatt at such a high level.

Second Gym:
Leader: Lenora
Type: Normal
Notes: This was a cakewalk, nothing really to it.

Third Gym:
Leader: Burgh
Type: Grass
Notes: Not too difficult, I had a fire ready for him.

Fourth Gym:
Leader: Elesa
Type: Electric
Notes: I know most people had trouble with her, but I just didn't find her difficult. My darumka was the only pokemon I used, she didn't faint, and I didn't use a single potion. To be fair though, he's a beast at attack.

Fifth Gym:
Leader: Clay
Type: Ground
Notes: My oshawatt made short work out of all of his pokemon

Sixth Gym:
Leader: Skyla
Type: Flying
Notes: Scraggy took them all down without breaking a sweat. No contest.

Seventh Gym:
Leader: Brycen
Type: Ice
Notes: My darumka and oshawatt had no problem dealing with Brycen's pokemon.

Eighth Gym:
Leader: Drayden (For me)
Type: Dragon
Difficulty: 4/5
Notes:This is where I am now, and I'm having some trouble. My newly evolved dewott, darmanitan, and eelektric are all weak against the dragon pokemon found here, and my other two pokemon (scrafty and golett) are having a hard time.

The only gyms that weren't a piece of cake for me were Clay and Elesa. Plus, the elite four was also pretty easy. Especially Caitlin.

The ice gym was the easiest thing ever with my attack-spammed Darmanitan. I kinda felt bad for the guy so purposely switched out so I could not beat him so easily. Last gym was super easy too, won with my archeops.

The hardest for me was wither gym 1 or 2, but that's obviously because I was underlevelled at the time, and at that low a level you can't be underlevelled at a gym.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom