• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Organized Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyBow

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
I'm not an athiest, but I find organized religion to be disgusting (particularly referring to Christianity). The charities they perform are great, but beyond that I see them as hate-mongering cesspools of ignorance. Nothing bothers me more than self-righteous people encased in armors of their own virtue (name that book :) ) who look down upon anyone different from them and use the bible to fuel hate, yet don't practice what they preach.

The fact is organized religions are basically completely contrary to what they preach and are blinded by their faith. Religion has only slowed us down and acted as a cancer to the world. The principal it's supposedly based upon (Love your neighbor as yourself) is impossible. And please stop cherrypicking the bible and only believing what verses you want to. It doesn't work like that.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but if you are one of the people described above you need a reality check.

I am a christian (a Lutheran to be exact) but I would like to say one thing. If Jesus were to come back to Earth today, he would not be Christian. I am christian not for the traditions, but for the belief. Of course, some traditions become a part of that, like Christmas and Easter. The pope however is a weird concept to me.

I am a christian (a Lutheran to be exact) but I would like to say one thing. If Jesus were to come back to Earth today, he would not be Christian. I am christian not for the traditions, but for the belief. Of course, some traditions become a part of that, like Christmas and Easter. The pope however is a weird concept to me.

Definitely. The pope's have been corrupt and power hungry for centuries since Catholocism began. It has been the most damaging religion in the world's history.

Okay, I'll admit the church has been way corrupt in the past, but don't you think that is taking it a tad bit too far?

I was raised Catholic, but as an 18 year old now, I tend to question a lot of the things I've been taught about religion.

My philosophy now is basically, 'just treat everyone justly and fairly, and be a good person.'

On the other hand, I never bash anyone for being religious or believing in a particular religion or god/gods. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and I try not to infringe on that.

But for me, I believe in a higher power, but I think that the most any person can do is be happy and treat other people how they would like to be treated.

Okay, I'll admit the church has been way corrupt in the past, but don't you think that is taking it a tad bit too far?

Nope. Name one other religion that has been as corrupt or caused more destruction...there isn't. It has caused the genocide of countless people. We might have been in space 200 years ago had they not stopped science from being developed and shut everyone up.

I was raised Catholic, but as an 18 year old now, I tend to question a lot of the things I've been taught about religion.

My philosophy now is basically, 'just treat everyone justly and fairly, and be a good person.'

On the other hand, I never bash anyone for being religious or believing in a particular religion or god/gods. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and I try not to infringe on that.

But for me, I believe in a higher power, but I think that the most any person can do is be happy and treat other people how they would like to be treated.

I agree. I don't bash on religious people unlss they are hypocrites. I believe God wants us to be genuinely good people, and basing your life on outdated principles is simply limiting your potential. I find I have become a more educated, stronger, more optomistic, accepting person after having left organized religion.

I'm different I suppose, I'm from the school of "any sort of generalization is a bad thing" sort of camp, so that may have effected my views, but I don't think Organized Religion is a bad thing, only thing I think is bad is people's need to justify their actions with something else. Religion doesn't have to "slow down" anything, it depends on the person believing in it.

That is what makes religious conflicts go south, and if people actually took credit for their own beliefs rather than labeling it as God's or Buddha's or whoever's wills I'd actually have more respect for that person and what ever horrible thing (I think) they are supporting.

Honestly, I really do think it's a moot point, if you took out religion, people will still find a way to justify and blame their actions and results on something else. Even in the case of "Science", a person could try to justify it being that they won't find the need to dig deep (similar to religious justifications) and mold what ever knowledge they have of it in Science and Math into an argument. It won't be proper Scientific proof, but the person will find it satisfactory enough to justify their actions and it's really easy to do.

I have nothing against atheists and agnostics, or their viewpoints, but I don't agree with that justification that some seem to make. (Because I find it a weak argument, weaker than the simpler and much better "because I choose to be" argument for being atheist/agnostic/spiritual)

I also want to note, and note this while being Catholic, that I wouldn't praise Christian Charity from the viewpoint of an agnostic. They can be more harm than help at times...^^;

Atheism is a joke. To believe in nothing is still a religion. you jsut believe in nothing. To me, that made sense.

there's nothing more annoying than a belligerent athiest...

>.>

<.<

I agree. I don't bash on religious people unlss they are hypocrites. I believe God wants us to be genuinely good people, and basing your life on outdated principles is simply limiting your potential. I find I have become a more educated, stronger, more optomistic, accepting person after having left organized religion.

didn't you start the thread by saying all organized religion is disgusting?

there's nothing more annoying than a belligerent athiest...

>.>

<.<

I find nothing more annoying than an ignorant, mindless, hateful sheep. But obviously you didn't read the first sentence of the thread. I'm not an athiest, or even agnostic. I believe in God, butnor organized religion.

"I like your Christ. But not your Christians. They are not like your Christ"

-Ghandi

Isn't it this kinda thing that gets the guys on the street shouting, "THE END IS NEAR!"

(you're going to get infracted for double posting.)

I disagree with you though. I don't agree with a lot of organized religions, but bashing ALL organized religion seems a little bit close-minded IMO. I mean what about religions that all believe 'just be a good person and don't stress the small stuff' like I'm sure there are plenty of in the world...

(you're going to get infracted for double posting.)

I disagree with you though. I don't agree with a lot of organized religions, but bashing ALL organized religion seems a little bit close-minded IMO. I mean what about religions that all believe 'just be a good person and don't stress the small stuff' like I'm sure there are plenty of in the world...

For the sake of simplicity I am in particular criticizing large-scale organized religions. There are probably small, organized churches that actually practice what they preach, and you're not going to see them condemning everything and protesting anything they're leader tells them not to believe in, so I suppose I would be okay with that.

However I am not yet aware of such a church in existence, so my argument remains the same.

Isn't it this kinda thing that gets the guys on the street shouting, "THE END IS NEAR!"

That would once again be religion. The FLDS Church did the exact thing 4 years ago.

K I see your point even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

But seriously, stop double/triple posting if you don't want the mods to infract you.

Okay look. I'll admit that a good amount of people have lost their way. That's their issue. They allowed themselves to go down that line. However, it is starting to sound to me like you jsut don't like a group whose methods you don't agree with. Funny how people don't seem to go with one's opinions.

See, organized religion is a good thing. In my mind. In yours, maybe not. I don't agree with other religions' traditions, but I do respect that that is what they believe. I say the pope concept is weird and you blow it into epic proportions and say the Catholic church is the reason we didn't get on the moon during the civil war. That's an extreme. If you don't like it, deal with it. They aren't going away. It's a person's faith, something that has existed since the dawn on time. It is unarguable, like morals. So complain all you want, but it gets you nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom