• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Overhyped features in main series Pokemon games?

Boss1708

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
What features that appear/ have appeared in Pokemon main series games, do you think are overhyped by many fans?

Give your opinions and say which features you find less interesting than most people.

Last edited:
Soaring comes to mind. I admit I'm guilty because I literally screamed when they first released a preview of Soaring in ORAS. It reminded me of Pokemon Ranger Guardian Signs - where they feature almost the exact same stuff: Soaring on the back of a Lati@s. So I was really excited for real battles in the sky and finally getting to see what Hoenn looks like from above. I remember the hype for it.

The night view of Hoenn is beautiful... and that's about it. Now that I caught all the legendaries, I just use Soaring when I happen to lack a pokemon knowing Fly on my team. I know it's supposed to encourage more scavenger hunts on Mirage Islands and such... but it's so much of a chore to check every single one when the islands are pretty much randomized whenever you connect with new people on the PSS. It's a great feature and all, but I think there was too much anticipation for it.

I would have to say the Battle Frontier.

As much as I like it, most of its Battle Facilities (Tower, Dome, Arena) pretty much do what the Battle Maison does, except they are less efficient.

The Pyramid and Palace are very tedious and rendomized.

The Battle Factory can be simulated in the Maison just by changing Pokemon between battles, and you get to keep them after that, unlike the Factory, where you have to return those.

The Pike, on the other hand, is the only Facility that I happen to want currently. That's 1 of 7 Facilities. I mean I like them all, but most of them are kinda redundant. Also, I like the Dome a lot, but B2W2 improved it!

Last edited:
I second Soaring, didn't care for it when it was announced and still don't. The view really isn't that pretty imo and Flying's just faster. I admit it comes in handy sometimes when I don't have a Fly-poke with me, but I still only use it when I really don't have any other choice.

Amie is a close second, I was kinda excited for it when it was announced and did enjoy it for a short while. It really was a short while though, looking at the animations, feeding them poképuffs and playing the same three minigames got old really fast and I haven't touched it ever since I looked at it the first few times. It also doesn't help that in ORAS you've got to go through quite some clicks to get to the Amie screen.

Personally, I like Soaring and Pokemon following you (except that it had to be optional, and that ruined it for a lot of people). I think those 2 really improve the in game world, and improve the feeling of connection to the world and your team.

Last edited:
Ok, i may be stretching the definition of "overhyped" features, but kanto,johto,hoenn(rse) and sinnoh's "non linearity" are overhyped. Yeah you can pick some of the gym leaders, yes, but what's the point ? Johto proved us that thanks to "non linearity" in the games comes a terrible level pacing that's a huge pain in the *** to deal with.

Move on to rse hoenn, and it's pretty fricking linear. Yeah, we can skip a gym or two (dewford; fortree), yes, but what's the point ? The game makes sure that if you didn't fight roxanne, brawly, whatson and flannery, you can't fight norman. Yeah once you get to mossdeep city there's the water routes bu they're basically optional.

Sinnoh is the same way : you have to deal with the first two gyms in order, pick between maylene and crasher wake and after that, completely linear. And no, being forced to go back and forth through mt. coronet 100× times is not "non linear" people.
It just annoys me how some people blatanly bash out the newer gens for being "too linear" when pokemon isn't even meant to be non linear...
/End rant.

Ok, i may be stretching the definition of "overhyped" features, but kanto,johto,hoenn(rse) and sinnoh's "non linearity" are overhyped. Yeah you can pick some of the gym leaders, yes, but what's the point ? Johto proved us that thanks to "non linearity" in the games comes a terrible level pacing that's a huge pain in the *** to deal with.

Move on to rse hoenn, and it's pretty fricking linear. Yeah, we can skip a gym or two (dewford; fortree), yes, but what's the point ? The game makes sure that if you didn't fight roxanne, brawly, whatson and flannery, you can't fight norman. Yeah once you get to mossdeep city there's the water routes bu they're basically optional.

Sinnoh is the same way : you have to deal with the first two gyms in order, pick between maylene and crasher wake and after that, completely linear. And no, being forced to go back and forth through mt. coronet 100× times is not "non linear" people.
It just annoys me how some people blatanly bash out the newer gens for being "too linear" when pokemon isn't even meant to be non linear...
/End rant.
I like being told where to go, so having more choice to choose what gym to challenge first, isn't a positive for me. GSC/HGSS post game Kanto is the epitome of that. It was horrible. They basically tell you: yeah, take on any gym you want, they are all useless and with no plot importance/ connection anyway.

Last edited:
I'm going to go with the Battle Frontier. It's nice to have, and I certainly appreciate being able to do different things to get hold of Battle Points instead of the usual Tower equivalent. Having said that, it's more of a tool for putting together a competitive team than it is real post-game content, in my book. That is to say, it's no substitute for a post-game story

Soaring and walking Pokemon.

Soaring is neat, for the first few times then it gets old fast. It's nice to not have to have a Flyer on your team but the fact that it's limited only to Lati@s and it's really only meant for finding Legends kinda killed it for me. I actually prefer HM02 to Soaring. I'm not kidding. (Maybe if we'd been given a few mre choices about who could Soar I'd like it better. And if it's not a feature for Mega Golurk in a Gen V remake, I'll be completely done with it!)

Then there's the walking Pokemon from HGSS. Again it was cute but that was about it. The only thing it really did was make battling a bit shorter--your first Pokemon popped up pretty quick rather than having to be let out of the ball--and you could find some Accessories but that was really about it. It didn't have a lot of the features that Amie has that I like so it felt a bit useless IMO.

An other very overhyped thing is post game Kanto. Everybody says it is the best post game ever, when it doesn't give you any reason to exolore it.

They could have given it some minimal plot relevance! You just need to beat those eight gym leaders in order to be allowed to go to Mt Silver. As if being the Champion of Johto was a smaller thing than beating Kanto's gyms LOL.

And after FRLG showed us how to make a post game area relevant and exciting (Seviis had a Team Rocket story to tie the events of gen I and II, etc) HGSS didn't improve anything with Kanto either.

Last edited:
I would have to say the Battle Frontier.
Agree totally. I'm not really into competitive battling, so the appeal of the BF is lost on me. I kinda liked the Battle Factory, but the fact that most (if not all) of the facilities required you to win streaks of battles before giving any payout . . . the Battle Subway was hardly any better. The Battle Maison is much friendlier in this regard.

Wallking with pokemon was nice but it got overhyped. It eventually becomes tiring to see a pokemon following you. Delta Episode is slightly overhyped due to constant flying to places we already been to but at least the Sky Pillar and Deoxys was the highlight of the Delta Episode.

Walking Pokemon, hand down. Sure it was nice at the time, but it's really quite redundant. I mean, it provides no benefits, and any interactions just seem so limited and not worthy of the time. Amie fixes that, as you feel like you're actually interacting with your Pokemon and they respond accordingly. Plus it grants multiple benefits, such as EXP boosts, status ailment auto-cure, and increased critical hits. Walking Pokemon was just a flop of a feature yet everyone loves it like it's the greatest thing since cheese fries. So, yeah, walking Pokemon is a majorly overhyped feature.

And I'm with those who felt the Kanto "post-game" in GSC/HGSS held no purpose other than to glorify Kanto. The fact that you could choose which Gyms to battle in whatever order you want and yet it granted absolutely nothing story-wise other than EXP and extra spending cash. Frankly, I feel that the so-called "post-game" is really just the second half to the story. And it's quite the lackluster second half. The only pro it gives is granting extra Starters to you. I feel even battling Red is just a waste of time and a chance to glorify him. So that I feel is second place when it comes to overhyped features.

DexNav, to an extent.

It's actually kinda grindy as far as hunting goes, and you might just be better off manipulating things by breeding yourself with 6th Gen advancements.

Even chaining hasn't always gotten consistent results, at least in my experience...

Last edited:
I actually don't think there's any overhyped features in Pokemon because they're always freaking removed in the next game. Walking with Pokemon is not something done since Yellow, which a lot of fans hold dear, so having your favourite Pokemon follow you makes the game a bit more immersive. Soaring is something a lot of people wanted, I've played Ranger 3 so it didn't really stun me. Maybe the only thing I find a little overhyped is gen 3's secret bases because of how primitive they are? Again, people like it because Emerald was part of their childhood.

In short I don't think anything's overhyped because each feature appeals to a fan's personal preference.

I agree with many on the walking Pokemon. It was a fun, cute feature in HGSS, but I'm not heartbroken that it hasn't been seen since.

The other one I've seen a lot here is amie. I agree with that to an extent. It was really awesome and beneficial and fun when X and Y came out. It was cute to find out where my Pokemon liked to be pet and hear their cries get altered to show their mood, made it feel like real animals with personalities and voices. Then ORAS came and used the same mini games and pokepuffs and stuff. While the base concept should remain the same for any future installments, I feel that reusing everything else was a bad idea. Over time the games became boring and getting those extra hearts to cheaply avoid attacks felt like a chore. It was especially tedious with Pokemon like my slugma, who could only gain hearts by feeding since you can't pet molten lava.

If they update items make it fresh again, it definitely won't be on my bad list anymore.

For me, the definition of overhyped is a feature that everybody talks about, but that doesn't achieve it's goal.

I think Soaring, walking Pokemon and Dex Nav, achieve their goals completely, so they are not overhyped.

The Battle Frontier doesn't quite achieve it's goal because most of its facilities are a bit redundant, so they don't offer as much variety as it seems.

And post game Kanto completely fails to offer us a long and entertaining post game, so it is the most overhyped imo.

The Fairy-type was really overhyped back in 2013, when X/Y were the hot new thing. Parodies and fan-comics were all over the Internet, especially that Sylveon x Hydreigon shit, and people were saying that Dragon would be completely nerfed. Two years later, and only a few Fairy-types (like Azumarill and Mega Mawlie) are really *that* good in the metagame, while Dragon-types that were already used a lot before (like Garchomp and Latios) still are used a lot now. If anything, Fairy-types helped make Steel-types like Scizor even better by giving them a new type to counter.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom