• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Overhyped features in main series Pokemon games?

The Fairy-type was really overhyped back in 2013, when X/Y were the hot new thing. Parodies and fan-comics were all over the Internet, especially that Sylveon x Hydreigon shit, and people were saying that Dragon would be completely nerfed. Two years later, and only a few Fairy-types (like Azumarill and Mega Mawlie) are really *that* good in the metagame, while Dragon-types that were already used a lot before (like Garchomp and Latios) still are used a lot now. If anything, Fairy-types helped make Steel-types like Scizor even better by giving them a new type to counter.

I agree that fairy was overhyped. Disagree with Azumarill and Mega Mawlie though. The only decent fairy pokemon are Arceus with Pixie Plate, Xerneas and Mega Altaria. The rest of the fairy types are not even worth using. Battle Resort was slightly overhyped since we got the same old Battle Maison from XY games and the worst part is we can't rematch Wally without doing 50 super battles.

I agree that fairy was overhyped. Disagree with Azumarill and Mega Mawlie though. The only decent fairy pokemon are Arceus with Pixie Plate, Xerneas and Mega Altaria. The rest of the fairy types are not even worth using. Battle Resort was slightly overhyped since we got the same old Battle Maison from XY games and the worst part is we can't rematch Wally without doing 50 super battles.
Ok, not trying to be rude, but seriously ? Do you even know how to play competively????

The Fairy-type was really overhyped back in 2013, when X/Y were the hot new thing. Parodies and fan-comics were all over the Internet, especially that Sylveon x Hydreigon shit, and people were saying that Dragon would be completely nerfed. Two years later, and only a few Fairy-types (like Azumarill and Mega Mawlie) are really *that* good in the metagame, while Dragon-types that were already used a lot before (like Garchomp and Latios) still are used a lot now. If anything, Fairy-types helped make Steel-types like Scizor even better by giving them a new type to counter.

Imo the fairy type implementation could be done better, but a new Pokemon type was need to balance the game, so the hype had a reason.

Ok, not trying to be rude, but seriously ? Do you even know how to play competively????

Yes I do. Fairy pokemon are quite frail and most don't last long apart from the ones I mentioned. It was way overhyped and wasn't impressive in anyway.

Yes I do. Fairy pokemon are quite frail and most don't last long apart from the ones I mentioned. It was way overhyped and wasn't impressive in anyway.
Ok, yes, i'll give you that, but you claiming that the only "decent" fairy types are arceus with pixie plate, xerneas and mega altaria is simply untrue. Like what, azumarill has access to huge power (which gives him the equivalent of a 150 base attack) + aqua jet, and sylveon has pixilate hyper voice to dominate doubles. Dude, just give them a chance, they're really not that bad ;)

The Pokemon following feature has never done anything for me. I honestly have no idea what people see in it.

I'm sorry, my friend, but the Battle Resort is not overhyped, it is actually underhyped, if the word exists.

I haven't heard a single person overhyping the Resort. If anything, it is not valued as much as it should. It offers you good daily Battles, and a second Day Care, so you don't need to fly after breeding a new egg. It offers you many Move Tutors, AND of course, the Battle Maison. Most fans usually act as there is nothing there except the Maison. And there are many other positives.

Also, one question: how can you play competitively, and yet have a problem with achieving a 50 winning streak at the Maison? I play competitively, and I see that as a nice challenge. An unnecessary challenge, but didn't fans say games were becoming too easy? At least the post game is a bit more challenging.

Last edited:
The Battle Resort as a whole isn't bad, but compared to the old Battle Frontier, it was kind of a let-down for me.

What I liked about the Battle Frontier was the many different styles of battling it offered. It's fun to battle with different rules than a normal competitive battle. While the Battle Maison does offer different types of battles, it isn't as fun to me as the Frontier.

The Battle Resort as a whole isn't bad, but compared to the old Battle Frontier, it was kind of a let-down for me.

What I liked about the Battle Frontier was the many different styles of battling it offered. It's fun to battle with different rules than a normal competitive battle. While the Battle Maison does offer different types of battles, it isn't as fun to me as the Frontier.
Yes, that's true. The BF is definitely the best Battle Complex ever. But it is still kinda overhyped, because, although it offers 7 battle Facilities, they are not different enough. I only miss the Battle Pike and Battle Arena from the seven buildings.

Ok, yes, i'll give you that, but you claiming that the only "decent" fairy types are arceus with pixie plate, xerneas and mega altaria is simply untrue. Like what, azumarill has access to huge power (which gives him the equivalent of a 150 base attack) + aqua jet, and sylveon has pixilate hyper voice to dominate doubles. Dude, just give them a chance, they're really not that bad ;)

Skill Swap puts a stop to Huge Power and Pixilate so that theory has gone out the window. I stand by what I said about fairy being overhyped.

I'm sorry, my friend, but the Battle Resort is not overhyped, it is actually underhyped, if the word exists.

I haven't heard a single person overhyping the Resort. If anything, it is not valued as much as it should. It offers you good daily Battles, and a second Day Care, so you don't need to fly after breeding a new egg. It offers you many Move Tutors, AND of course, the Battle Maison. Most fans usually act as there is nothing there except the Maison. And there are many other positives.

Also, one question: how can you play competitively, and yet have a problem with achieving a 50 winning streak at the Maison? I play competitively, and I see that as a nice challenge. An unnecessary challenge, but didn't fans say games were becoming too easy? At least the post game is a bit more challenging.

The daily battles only use 4 pokemon and not 6 which is pitiful in my opinion. Those trainers should use 6 pokemon since it is post game. We didn't need a second daycare centre which was waste of space. Move tutors I agree with you. The Battle Maison was a copy and paste from XY and is not a great battle facility in my opinion. The only way to rematch Wally was to win the 50 super battles which is forced on you like the 1000 flags for Garchomp mega stone or doing master ranks of pokemon contests for Lucario mega stone. Therefore the Battle Resort is overhyped, at least for me anyway.

Skill Swap puts a stop to Huge Power and Pixilate so that theory has gone out the window. I stand by what I said about fairy being overhyped.

The daily battles only use 4 pokemon and not 6 which is pitiful in my opinion. Those trainers should use 6 pokemon since it is post game. We didn't need a second daycare centre which was waste of space. Move tutors I agree with you. The Battle Maison was a copy and paste from XY and is not a great battle facility in my opinion. The only way to rematch Wally was to win the 50 super battles which is forced on you like the 1000 flags for Garchomp mega stone or doing master ranks of pokemon contests for Lucario mega stone. Therefore the Battle Resort is overhyped, at least for me anyway.
How is the Battle Resort hyped, when nobody is hyping it? Also, you have never bred a Pokemon egg, if you think the second day care is a pointless thing. Flying between the day care and Lumiose was such a pain... having the second day care next to the Checker, is the best idea in a while.

An inverted example is the Battle Frontier. Maybe. It was promoted in Emerald, but since it was post-game exclusive...eh.

Pike Queen Lucy, never forget R.I.P.

Mega Evolution in general. Period.

I never used ME in any battles during my normal run through. GenVI had its overall difficulty going down compare to prior gens, even I don't use Exp.All, still if I play in the exact same manner like I did in all my previous gens (level grinding + EV trainings, nothing else), I can beat every trainers easily without problems. The ME then just becomes an unnecessary overkill power-up that was not needed in the first place.

It helps a bit in the competitive battles, but I'm not such a competitive player that will spend hundreds of hours in the Battle Facilities, so it is just meaningless for me.

I really wished GF rather turn up the overall difficulty of GenVI originally, such that it could then provided valid reason for the player to enjoy MEing their pokemons even under normal run through not participating in any competitive battles.

Last edited:
Mega Evolution in general. Period.

I never used ME in any battles during my normal run through. GenVI had its overall difficulty going down compare to prior gens, even I don't use Exp.All, still if I play in the exact same manner like I did in all my previous gens (normal level up trainings + EV trainings, nothing else), I can beat every trainers easily without problems. The ME then just becomes an unnecessary overkill power-up that was not needed in the first place.

It helps a bit in the competitive battles, but I'm not such a competitive player that will spend hundreds of hours in the Battle Facilities, so it is just meaningless for me.

I really wished GF rather turn up the overall difficulty of GenVI originally, such that it could then provided valid reason for the player to enjoy MEing their pokemons even under normal run through not participating in any competitive battles.
I think ME paid off in a sense that it revived a lot of older Pokémon's popularity like Mawile and Absol but I think GF poorly implemented it. Personally I think that Gym leaders and E4 members should be rocking Megas to make them harder.

I wouldn't call Mega Evolution overhyped considering it's created quite a divide in the fanbase where a lot of fans actually outright dislike it. In my mind for it to be overhyped you'd have to have the majority of people really into it and overwhelming hype there from the initial reveal, which they just aren't and there wasn't (it was very controversial). I'd say a lot of people use them competitively more out of a feeling of a necessity than any sort love for the feature.

Fairies types. "Balance" my freaking foot. Only two types can kill Fairies and I rarely use those. I stick to Darks and Dragons mostly and guess what? That damn type kills them and any other good Pokemon out there. -__-

Ok, i'm sorry, but if you think that skill swap is a viable move competively then you have a problem.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom